Stealthy PC CFL Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Deleted member 538806, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hey y'all,

I'm on day 10 of an organic soil, CFL, bag seed grow. I've been lurking on GC for awhile and figured it's time to start a grow journal. I have a PC case with the inside surfaces covered in mylar from a windshield reflector. I use FFOF soil and let my tap water sit for a few days to dechlorinate before watering, no nutes for awhile. There is a 140mm 3-speed exhaust fan and a 120mm intake fan, both are on a master fan control set to the lowest setting. There are 3 26W 6500K CFLs plugged into a strip, I have 2700K lights ready to go for flower when the time comes. My temps range between 68-75 with the lights on and 60-68 with them off. My humidity has been a bit low, 25-35%, so I punched holes in a ziploc bag and added three wet sponges. I also run an external humidifier and have been in the 35-50% range.

Onto the grow, I put a bag seed in a shot glass of water on Feb 5 and planted it in a solo cup the day after to germinate. I kept the soil moist and had a ziploc bag on top as a humidity dome. A week later, on Feb 12, the seedling broke soil, I'm, calling this day 1. I took off the dome on day 2. The first set of leaves appeared on day 5. I watered the seedling on day 6. The second set of leaves showed up on day 8. The first set of leaves look withered and a bit dry, so I moved the plant from 2" from the light to about 5", I'll try to make sure it doesn't stretch too much in this configuration. I'm trying to LITFA, hopefully it will recover and won't matter in the end.

I would appreciate comments and advice, I'm still pretty new at this.
    Let's grow some cannabis!

Attached Files:

2. I just got my humidity under control and can stay between 40-50% with the help of the ziploc bag with holes and three wet sponges inside. I also run an external humidifier which has helped to raise the humidity.

The new growth looks healthy now that I have the humidity in a good stable range. I watered again on Day 11. On day 14, I transplanted to its final container, much roomier than a solo cup. I'm on Day 18 right now.

Attached Files:

3. You're plants look really healthy, be sure to pick up the pots after you water them to feel how much they weigh, then when they feel light you'll know when to water them, i read that somewhere else in here.

I plan on doing the same setup, where did you buy all of your lights and shit? I'm using an old gateway, also do you use anything to filter the smell out?

4. So there is just one plant, the 9-up and 6-up pictures just show the progress each day.
    Watering by the weight of the container is good practice, agreed.
    I'm not using anything to filter the smell, I can only smell something if my nose is buried in the leaves. During flowering this might become a problem. I might try a DIY carbon filter on the exhaust.

5. #5 Deleted member 538806, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    I'm on day 21 of vegging, there are five nodes and the sixth is coming in. I'm thinking of starting LST soon, when is a good time for that?

Attached Files:

6. Day 22 Low Stress Training (LST)

I started my first stages of LST with two twist ties spread across the plant to bend it horizontally. So far the growth has been very dense with short internode spacing, I can tell the lower leaves have not been getting enough light. I hope to see it adjust to LST over the next day and will water with pH 6.5ish tap water, no added nutrients yet.

Attached Files:

7. Day 23

The top of the plant perked right back up (pic 1), so I moved my LST ties to get it back down again (pic 2). I'm thinking of adding some dilute veg nutes to the the water next time the plant gets thirsty.

Happy growing grass city!

Attached Files:

8. Looking good
    Like the set up

9. Here's a photo from today, day 25 of vegetative growth. There's a second top developing now, she's so bushy (at least I hope it's a she)!

Will water tomorrow with 1/4 strength nutrients, FF Grow Big 6-4-4. Let's hope the high N value increases chloroplast production! Roots have hit the bottom of this new container some time ago.

Attached Files:

10. she is looking damn good
    very healthy keep up the good work
    ill stoping in

11. What are you temperature at?

Is the case light proof?

Im having trouble keeping my pc case temps down with a 120mm and 100mm fan running on full settings.

12. To dankest Kush411,

Danks man, and nugs be upon you.

To dear Sir Master Bator,

My temps over the last 24 hours were 63 to 76F, humidity 31% to 53%. When the lights go out, the weather changes, can't stop that:p

Fed her some 1/4 strength nutrients yesterday, she's looking good. 27 days old today.

What do you call your plants before they show sex; it, he, she?

Attached Files:

13. Best of luck with this growing mate. But yeah just wondering, is it too late to plant something similar in Australia at the moment ? or could I get away with an okay harvest?

14. It's never too late to plant indoors, growing season is year round. As for outdoors, wait until the spring I guess.

15. Yeah I was going to start them off in a pc case then probably move them outside, as I'm trying to keep it hidden from my housemates.

16. Hey im new to GC but I gotta say im going to Florida soon and im gonna make a PC grow box and I have 4 bag seeds and soil but do you have any tips for me?

17. Keep reading threads on GC, lots of information on here. If I may link to one place outside, WeedsThatPlease, is a great to get an overview of the whole process in all its stages. If anyone finds glaring errors in that guide, do tell.

One piece of advice is to run your box for 24 hours with no plants inside in order to see what temperatures you're getting. These PCs can get really hot without proper ventilation. If you don't test the temperature first, you might end up burning your seedlings just as they sprout.

Second is, make someone smile today, the world will be a better place.:)

18. Hey nice grow case. I would try and get your lifts about an inch off the leaves once they are strong enough, you don't want the plant to stretch as you will not get as much "harvest" cost most of the vertical space of the grow box will just be a stretched stem.

They still look like they could be a teeny bit closer...

19. Hey Lenny,

The container has been sitting on a DVD case, in addition to the rest of the stack of containers, for about a week now. There's almost no stretch to this plant yet, the internode spacing has been real short. I'm planning on letting the main stem grow horizontally across the length the case, maybe one more week of vegetative growth. Then during flower, it can grow upwards as I slowly move the container to the bottom of the case.

I fed her some 1/4 strength veg nutes last night. Lights are on 18/6 with 3 6500K 26W bulbs.

Here she is on day 30, the main top is on the left and two new tops are growing on the right.

Attached Files:

20. #20 Deleted member 538806, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    I'm on day 34 and planning on vegging for a few more days. She's been drinking a lot of water, I gave her 2.5 cups of water with no nutes 2 days ago and she's almost dry again. I'll water again tonight with 1/2 strength veg nutes.

I added another intake fan, 80mm, to blow on the lights. There seemed to be a pocket of hot air near the top of the case. I added a reflector in front of the exhaust, this helps a lot with light leaks out the back through the fan and gives the leaves a little more light. There is a slight smell coming out of the back of the case now, I need to start thinking about a carbon scrubber. I might buy a 6" filter rather than building one. When I expand in the future, then I'll have a good filter to use.

I've been reading some more, you know how that goes, and I think I might try a DIY CO2 generator. Just a little extra CO2 in a small space could bring us high enough levels of CO2 to supercharge our plants growth. It looks simple enough, 2 liter bottle, yeast sugar, a tube to bring it to an intake.
    [​IMG]
    Twice the CO2, twice the growth rate!

[​IMG]
    Replace the aquarium with your case, I think you get the idea.

Case Mods.jpg

Day 34.jpg
    Here we are on day 34. The main stem has been growing horizontally since Day 22, when LST was started. I think I can get a decent yield if this plant turns out to be a female, so stay tuned!

Any advice on the grow or carbon filters or CO2 is appreciated. Happy Sunday y'all!:smoking: