First Grow - Freedom 35 in Dealzer Cash Crop Box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JerryInDFW, Jan 10, 2013.

1. #1 JerryInDFW, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
    (Well, I thought I began this thread early this morning. Apparently it didn't take, so I'll try again)

Hi! Allow me to begin by telling you a bit about myself. I'm in my late 50's and live in Texas. I quit smoking EVERYTHING about 15 years ago. I'm at the point in my life now where I'm comfortable, and since they have all of these smokeless vapor devices now, I figure it's time to get a hobby. I used to grow some closet weed back in the 80's during my expatriate days, but haven't done anything since. So just consider me a stone (ahem) beginner. I have a bit of a nausea problem from my dentures, so I'm hoping the finished product will help.

So I intend to post an ongoing journal of this little experiment. It's not going to be very technical - Don't look for nutrient PPM's, strain comparisons (I have nothing to compare to), and all that. I'm just going to use the one page of instructions, loaded with typos, that came with my "System," which arrived today. If things start to go wrong, then I'll panic.

[FONT=&quot]The pic show a "Cash Crop - 6 Plant Grow Box" from Dealzer.com @ $494.00 with shipping. This was for the 36" tall version. As you can see in the photos, it's a very bare-bones system, and the most expensive item being the (6) CFL bulbs. Aside from those, I'd be shocked if they had more than 40 bucks in this thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I feel a little bit burned. They also sell a unit in an actual computer case with a full hydro system for about the same price, including all the testing stuff, wireless thermometer, and so on. The Cash Crop is made of plywood - With nutrients in zip-locks. Runs 180w of CFL bulbs: 1 set for veg, and 1 set for flowering.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Still waiting for the Freedom 35 product from Dr. Greenthumb. [/FONT]$150.00 for 10.

[FONT=&quot] I'll come back and begin making notes once I put the seeds in for germination. As a side project, I have one of those bedroom TV armories that I'm going to convert to a grow box. For what I dropped on that Cash Crop box, I should hopefully be able to do something amazing with it. I'm lucky enough to have several retail stores locally, and there are some good mail order/online sources locally.[/FONT] Down the road, the idea is to maintain 1 or 2 of the best females out of the first grow in the Dealzer box and run clones in the homemade grow box.

[FONT=&quot]Wish me luck! [/FONT][FONT=&quot]:cool:[/FONT]

Since I'm having image upload issues, this is the link to the Freedom 35 Project Flickr page: Freedom 35 Project - a set on Flickr

[​IMG]

2. Went to a local shop yesterday. Actually met Ironhead there! We got to discussing things, and he reminded me about the importance of proper pH in the nutrients.

I bought a GH brand test/correction kit. Checked the local water last night, and it looked close to 8.0! :eek: Have to keep an eye on that when the grow starts.

3. Good to see another Texan doing a micro grow, so welcome aboard!

But I must say, for $500, that box is a total rip-off, borderline highway robbery.

Either way, I have seen really good reviews on Dr. Greenthumb genetics so it will interesting to see how things pan out. Especially that Freedom 35. I wonder if it can really finish flowering that fast....

Best of luck dude.

4. Hiya Jerry!

Well bud.. I gotta say now that I've seen your setup, you def got hosed with that one my friend.. There are some things that you will be able to reuse off it perhaps.. But I wouldn't waste my time trying to grow in that. I think for what you spent on this, we could actually set you up a real nice setup that is functional and works correctly.

Now I know you are gonna build a new setup.. Just make sure that the cabinet that you use can be light proofed.. Even one tiny crack where light can get through during the lights off period can cause your plants to grow both male an female parts... Which is no bueno.

Honestly I think it's completely worth it to get a tent.. They work great, super versatile and you can reuse them again and again. We have tents at the shop or you can find just about any kind of size or configuration one on Amazon and they are pretty dang cheap too. I started off with a 3x3 tent and it was perfect to help me get my first couple harvests and allowed me to be able to move up to a 4x4 that I use now.

I know your are in an apt, so I'm gonna suggest the 300w CFL light that we have.. It won't produce that much heat, but you will def be able to harvest some smaller plants with it to get ya goin. Any of the cfl's will work for ya.. Also the t5 light setups that we have work very very well an they also come in an assortment of sizes and shapes.

That ought to get ya started for now.. Of course you can ask any questions ya want and I'll do my best to answer and help ya out as best as I can. Good to meet ya!:smoke:

5. Thanks guys for the comments!

I'm glad everyone (So far) agrees that box was overpriced. :eek: However, it did have pretty good reviews, so we'll see. Still waiting on delivery of the genetic material so I can get started. :mad: Kind of wish I had some contact with local growers to trade off 3-4 of those F35's for something else. Maybe down the road.

I got around to setting up the wiring for that box, and installed the lights. There's a LOT of light from that CFL 180w total, so that much was a pleasant surprise. I believe plants will grow in there. As I mentioned, I'll be converting that piece of furniture, and it'll be easy to get it light tight. No rush, since I'll be staggering clone starts from a hopefully excellent F35 mother or two, which I'll maintain in the overpriced Dealzer Cash Crop box.

I'll keep y'all apprised!

Living well is the best revenge!

6. definitly subscribed! Was going to grab the exact same box as you but everyone on this site is against it?

I like those boxes moreso for stealthiness ...is there any light leaks in the dark?
    pretty much you should make your own box if the stealth factor dosent matter but if it is suppose to be super low key i would definitly buy one of those \for sure.....before anyone hates...have you ever tried building a box with NO light escaping. im still struggling to try to cover some leaks ( for my pc box that is -little bit harder than a wooden box)...and no i dont work for dealzer or whatever just my opinion.

just keep the pics and the grow coming cant wait to see more.

7. The side of the door leaks a bit, and I'll hit that with a thin strip of foam before I start the flowering. I plan to veg 24/24. It's located in a light-tight walk-in closet, so light isn't going to be a big issue.

Okay. There were eleven reviews on the Dealzer site about this box, and a few around the internet. Those sounded mixed, and since I'm in an apartment now, it was easier for me to buy than build. However, if one has access to a table saw or even a skill saw, cordless drill, a couple of hole saws, and maybe a nail gun, you could probably put at least half a dozen of these together for what I paid - and have $100 bucks plus left over.

I'll never buy another commercially produced box. I guess I just expected more automation and equipment for the price when compared to their PC grow box, so that's my main reason for feeling burned.

I didn't search extensively, but couldn't find ANY pics of the Cash Crop 6 actually producing so much as a cilantro plant, so my documented grow might very well be the first to objectively evaluate this particular box. Rather than going through the trouble of returning it, I'll give it a fair trial.

Much negative from the experienced growers out there about how this box was no good for hydro, that hydro isn't for beginners, how it isn't going to work at all, yada, yada, yada. I've grown years ago, with very primitive stuff and Miracle Grow, and it's not rocket science unless you want to turn it into rocket science. I'm all for upping my game, but I don't expect a quarter pound of product from a mini-plant. About the only deviation I might do is limit the first grow to no more than 3-4 plants, instead of 6. Haven't decided yet.

Stay tuned. :cool:

8. [quote name='"JerryInDFW"']The side of the door leaks a bit, and I'll hit that with a thin strip of foam before I start the flowering. I plan to veg 24/24. It's located in a light-tight walk-in closet, so light isn't going to be a big issue.

Okay. There were eleven reviews on the Dealzer site about this box, and a few around the internet. Those sounded mixed, and since I'm in an apartment now, it was easier for me to buy than build. However, if one has access to a table saw or even a skill saw, cordless drill, a couple of hole saws, and maybe a nail gun, you could probably put at least half a dozen of these together for what I paid - and have $100 bucks plus left over.

I'll never buy another commercially produced box. I guess I just expected more automation and equipment for the price when compared to their PC grow box, so that's my main reason for feeling burned.

I didn't search extensively, but couldn't find ANY pics of the Cash Crop 6 actually producing so much as a cilantro plant, so my documented grow might very well be the first to objectively evaluate this particular box. Rather than going through the trouble of returning it, I'll give it a fair trial.

Much negative from the experienced growers out there about how this box was no good for hydro, that hydro isn't for beginners, how it isn't going to work at all, yada, yada, yada. I've grown years ago, with very primitive stuff and Miracle Grow, and it's not rocket science unless you want to turn it into rocket science. I'm all for upping my game, but I don't expect a quarter pound of product from a mini-plant. About the only deviation I might do is limit the first grow to no more than 3-4 plants, instead of 6. Haven't decided yet.

Stay tuned. :cool:[/quote]

Dude I'm excited to see what ya put out! Let me know if there is anything I can help ya out with along the way. I'll def be watching your journal for updates. :D:smoke:

9. #9 JerryInDFW, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Stay tuned. I took a few pics showing just how much that sucker leaks. :eek: The door's an easy fix, but there's light blasting out through the fan holes, even though there's filters over them. I mention it's going in a dark walk-in closet, and I have a green bulb for down the road. So I'm not too stressed.

Anyway, all this and more of the prep will be in the Freedom 35 Project here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81203595@N08/sets/72157632490080832/

10. wow if it actually leaks then i can see it being a total ripoff - to my understanding it was totally stealth and that was the reason i was going to grab it because the leaks are my only problem ..are the fans also noisy?

11. #11 JerryInDFW, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Latest actions with that Dealzer Cash Crop 6 plant box:

Everything hooked up as supplied. I included a dual-zone thermometer and humidity sensor. It was inexpensive, and records the high/low of all three things. Runs on batteries. Humidity might not be a completely accurate thing, since there's six holes in the lid that aren't covered. Aerator pump is a bit noisier than I expected.

The goal here is to see what kind of heat/humidity I'll be working with. The three CFL's supplied are 60w and 900 lumen each, for a total of 180w and 2700 lumen. Changing to 75w Phillips CFL's would give me 3900 lumen. Those come in a 4-pack for $11.47 at Home DePot. This is a maybe. The next size up are the 100W, three of which would only bump things up another 900 lumen to 4800.

As the box is actually only almost 1 sq. ft., 2700 lumen should be in the ballpark for a decent veg stage. Not sure it'll be enough for the flowering stage. The "Plan" at the moment is to go with the supplied 60w bulbs (2700 lumen and 2700k) for flowering at least initially.

A quick check of the box after it's been running for a few hours shows stable with:

99 degrees top right at the lights
    81 degrees at what will initially be plant level
    37% humidity (All net pot holes empty)

Now it's just a matter of starting. I'll be very happy when the logistics bottleneck clears.

12. Yeah, it leaks, as the pic shows. The fans are quiet, but the air pump is audible. You could run it out through the transition the other wires use and put it on a timer.

Seriously, if you can, find a friend with some tools and build your own for about $40.00 tops. The most expensive stuff it the reflective wall covering. That stuff is crazy expensive. I need about 40 sq. ft for my other project, and they only sell big-ass rolls. :mad: I'm looking for alternatives.

13. [quote name='"JerryInDFW"']

Yeah, it leaks, as the pic shows. The fans are quiet, but the air pump is audible. You could run it out through the transition the other wires use and put it on a timer.

Seriously, if you can, find a friend with some tools and build your own for about $40.00 tops. The most expensive stuff it the reflective wall covering. That stuff is crazy expensive. I need about 40 sq. ft for my other project, and they only sell big-ass rolls. :mad: I'm looking for alternatives.[/quote]

Hey Jerry you can also use panda film to cover the walls. It's a plastic sheet that is black on one side and white on the other. I know that the Mylar was expensive, and I have used the panda film before with ok results. I just put the white side out so it's more reflective... Not gonna be 98% like Mylar, but it will get the job done at a fraction of the price. It's really cheap too.. Just another option for ya!

Ready to see ya get started my friend!:D

14. As I was telling you, back in the day, we were materially challenged because of our location. We'd use aluminum foil, and stuff like poster board sprayed glossy white. I stopped by a Dollar store on the way back yesterday, and was eying some of those cheap windshield screens that looked pretty reflective. Decided it was a little too low-end.

Still haven't searched online, but I expect there's someone who does a break-bulk on some of those products. Push come to shove, I'll buy a roll, use what I need, and sell the rest on eBay.

Crossing my fingers that today's the day.

Just a note to the subscribed:
    After running 16 hours including the air pump, the temps stayed just about like they were last night. The humidity went to 38%, bottom temp was 82. and still 99 next to the CFL's. Still thinking I'm going to go with just two plants in 3" pots. Stay tuned!

15. Squeeze a little bud out of it if you can; it doesn't take much to make it pay off. Persistence.

Don't feel too bad; I remember a huge long thread at another site about a guy who bought a big complicated $1500 cabinet and had no idea of how to run it. Disaster; he bailed on the thread, so I have no idea what the end was.

Starting small and struggling is better than a big failure.

16. Thanks.

Pretty sure I'm going to scale down to just two plants to begin.

17. 1/17/2013 -22:00

And we're finally running!

The genetic material arrived today. Ordered 10, and received 11. Don't know if that was a mistake or a 10% bonus. Not complaining. Unremarkable appearance, except they're the smallest ones I've ever seen, but I don't think that'll matter. Remember, these are supposed to be feminized.

In the end, I chose to go with only two starts. The Dealzer Cash Crop - 6 Plant only has 42 real watts of light (3*14), and I don't think that's enough, even for a 1 sq. ft. box. But as this is supposed to be a fair trial of their product, we'll go with that. I think 42 watts might be enough for the 24" high box, but the drop off over that extra 12" is significant. So I'll make sure the basin sits higher up during the veg stage start - Trying to keep everything equal. I don't know what brand of nutrients were furnished

Anyway, once this thing is vegged to whatever height you want, it's supposed to finish like this (From the Dr. Greenthumb site): "Completely Finished with 35 to 45 days of 12 - 12!!! Freedom 35 will remain in a vegetative state indefinitely under a 24 hour photoperiod." Okay, it's not an automatic. Good.

So I modified the lid on one of the spare basins I picked up to hold the 2 -3" net pots. I thought using a white lid might be an improvement, but I think blue spectrum light isn't easily used by algae, so I kept the color stock aqua.

I chose to use the grey grow cubes that came with the package, but put coffee filters in the pots and filled in the extra space with CocoTek, with the seeds in the grow cubes. I also took a marker and drew a line around the basin at the right height up on the pots. I covered the seed with a very thin layer of that CocoTek, and put plastic wrap over everything. The basin was filled with spring water. Once they've grown up a bit, I'll put some holes in the filters.

The spring water was between pH 6.0 and 6.5., but when I mixed the nutrients they tested acid, at 4.0, or maybe a bit higher. It took 20 drops of pH UP to get it right, and back to around 5.8.

So the entire mess is in that tiny cupboard over the fridge that you never use, since the closet and box were about 65 degrees, and I thought that was too cool. Photos are at the link here ----> Freedom 35 Project - a set on Flickr, and in the signature.

So the plan is that if/when these girls germinate, they'll go in the box at about 14" or so from the lights. I'll try a few days of 24/7 to see how they do, since the specs for this plant say it's best vegged with 24/7. If you like minimalist info on the F 35 strain, try here: Dr. Greenthumb: Cannabis Sativa, Seeds, Indica, Marijuana Weed, Growing Culture, and choose the Freedom 35 option.

Absolutely cannot wait to begin posting some green!:D

18. [quote name='"JerryInDFW"']1/17/2013 -22:00

And we're finally running!

The genetic material arrived today. Ordered 10, and received 11. Don't know if that was a mistake or a 10% bonus. Not complaining. Unremarkable appearance, except they're the smallest ones I've ever seen, but I don't think that'll matter. Remember, these are supposed to be feminized.

In the end, I chose to go with only two starts. The Dealzer Cash Crop - 6 Plant only has 42 real watts of light (3*14), and I don't think that's enough, even for a 1 sq. ft. box. But as this is supposed to be a fair trial of their product, we'll go with that. I think 42 watts might be enough for the 24" high box, but the drop off over that extra 12" is significant. So I'll make sure the basin sits higher up during the veg stage start - Trying to keep everything equal. I don't know what brand of nutrients were furnished

Anyway, once this thing is vegged to whatever height you want, it's supposed to finish like this (From the Dr. Greenthumb site): "Completely Finished with 35 to 45 days of 12 - 12!!! Freedom 35 will remain in a vegetative state indefinitely under a 24 hour photoperiod." Okay, it's not an automatic. Good.

So I modified the lid on one of the spare basins I picked up to hold the 2 -3" net pots. I thought using a white lid might be an improvement, but I think blue spectrum light isn't easily used by algae, so I kept the color stock aqua.

I chose to use the grey grow cubes that came with the package, but put coffee filters in the pots and filled in the extra space with CocoTek, with the seeds in the grow cubes. I also took a marker and drew a line around the basin at the right height up on the pots. I covered the seed with a very thin layer of that CocoTek, and put plastic wrap over everything. The basin was filled with spring water. Once they've grown up a bit, I'll put some holes in the filters.

The spring water was between pH 6.0 and 6.5., but when I mixed the nutrients they tested acid, at 4.0, or maybe a bit higher. It took 20 drops of pH UP to get it right, and back to around 5.8.

So the entire mess is in that tiny cupboard over the fridge that you never use, since the closet and box were about 65 degrees, and I thought that was too cool. Photos are at the link here ----> Freedom 35 Project - a set on Flickr, and in the signature.

So the plan is that if/when these girls germinate, they'll go in the box at about 14" or so from the lights. I'll try a few days of 24/7 to see how they do, since the specs for this plant say it's best vegged with 24/7. If you like minimalist info on the F 35 strain, try here: Dr. Greenthumb: Cannabis Sativa, Seeds, Indica, Marijuana Weed, Growing Culture, and choose the Freedom 35 option.

Absolutely cannot wait to begin posting some green!:D[/quote]

Congrats on gettin the seeds Jerry! Bout time huh?:poke::p

Hey everything you have done so far sounds good, 'cept there really isn't a need to put nutrients in with the seeds yet.. I can never get them to start that way. I always have to start em with plain tap water and then start giving nutrients when the seedlings have 3 leaf sets. Might work differently for ya, but that's just what I gotta do... Thought I would pass it on. Good luck bud!:wave:

19. This may sound cliche, but "No shit!" Just happy I didn't get burned for $150 bucks. :)

Thanks!

Well I ordinarily wouldn't have used any nutes, but the destruction's that came with the beans said to "[G]erminate them between paper towels moistened with 1/4 to 1/8 strength solution." Personally, having done some serious real gardening in the past, I don't like handling newly sprouted seeds, so I opted to start in the basin. I would have used straight water in the basin, but for the suggestion they furnished. So in the end I dumped in about 1 Tbsp to 3 qts+ water. Just another compromise. The leaflet said to begin checking after 24 hours, but I'll wait until tomorrow. If nothing's shaking yet, I'll plug in the box and put the basin on top to get a bit more warmth.

Nervous as a girl on a first date! Everything's crossed! ;) Can't wait to have something to show!

20. Hey Jerry, how about some pictures?