First Grow: 2x2x4 box, 400w HPS, DWC, ScrOG

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by alteregoic, Nov 17, 2012.

1. I spent the summer putting together a small grow box to house a 10 gallon DWC resovoir with two net pots in the lid. I acquired some clones from a Dutch Passion Blueberry plant which was grown from seed. The two strongest clones are now approaching their third week of 12/12.

I haven't thoroughly photo documented this project but I think that I have enough pictures to justify a thread. This is my first grow, I spent a lot of time reading forums, preparing my environment, visiting other grows and asking questions, visiting other grows and shutting my mouth and just watching, planning, taking notes, drawing diagrams. There are a million ways to cultivate cannabis....this is one of those ways.

Indoor plant cultivation is the future.

Attached Files:

2. These are the clones the night they were cut. 2 survived, they hung out in a DIY aero-cloner for two weeks or so before they made it into the big girl tub. I wasn't really prepared for the clones, the mini-cloner just hung out on my bathroom counter. Once in a while I would run the hot shower and give them a steam bath.

Attached Files:

3. This is their first day in the bubble tub. One of the four clones didn't make it and these are the strongest of the three that remined. One is much larger than the other, they are from the same plant. I plan on training aggressively.

Attached Files:

4. Here they are into veg a little bit. I rigged up a little CFL hood that slides into the cab like a shelf. I ended up removing the screen so that I could get the bulbs down closer to the plants.

Attached Files:

5. Once I got the temps figured out with the HPS light I removed the electronics from the CFL hood and put the tub on top of it instead of underneath. In order to control the heat I ended up putting together a DIY cool tube.

Attached Files:

6. Very cool, man! Subb'd to see how this goes. I love these pure diy setups.

7. I FIMed, topped, tied, weighted down, super cropped, I beat the shit out of them. I don't have any good pictures of the training process, here are the results.

Attached Files:

8. #8 alteregoic, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
    Here are the results of all the training. I am so impressed by the way the plants thrive under stress, and the recovery time was super fast. Hydro is the shizzle, I am so glad that I didn't dick around with soil. I am pretty sure that these pictures were taken right before I switched to 12/12.

Attached Files:

9. These are the main trunks of each plant. Like I said in the previous post, hydro is the shizzle.

Attached Files:

10. Those are so gnarly lookin. I love it!

What kind of nutes did you use? How long was the veg/training phase?

11. The lighter pics were taken on 11/11/12. The first day in veg pic was taken 9/25/12.

12. I did a lot more cutting to the plant on the right, FIM< FIM<FIM, Tons more tops, challenging to manage in the screen. I'm pretty surethat backbone is going to fuel some awesome flowers.

Attached Files:

13. Recipe for Success BC, in fact for the first three weeks i only used FoxFarm Grow Big. Once I started the full regimine of nutrients the plants really took off. Full strength, they eat it up.

Thanks for checking it out, I have one or two more pics to post, before I am csught up. Tuesday will be three weeks 12/12, I will take some photos and post them.

14. These are the latest pictures I have, the Boost Bags were a gift:hello: I have rigged them up in a 5 gallon tote with an air pump on the light timer. I had to figure out a way to keep them outside the box. Since these pictures were taken I have started to put all the "tops" in their permanent net holes and tie them into place with zip ties. The rate at which these plants grow is incredible.

Attached Files:

15. Thank you very much. I love DIYing whenever I can, I am so thankful for all of the DIYers out there in the internet who have taken the time to create and post tutorials. I have picked up so many valuable bits of information from others.

16. This is the tub. It is just a basic top feed DWC with airstones. It was the first part I put together; I had a lot of fun doing it. Next one I am going to leave out the top feed, or run a separate resovoir; having the pump in the solution with the roots is a pain in the ass. I will also light proof the next tub. I have this tub wrapped in Panda Film and I haven't had any problems in the resovoir as of yet (fingers crossed).

Attached Files:

17. These are pictures from this morning. Everything is pretty much where I want it to be and secured with zipties. There are some places where stems cross one another, I did my best to straighten out what I could without breaking anything. I have a serious humidity issue that I hope to resolve with a small dehumidifier I ordered from Amazon. It's like a rainforest in there RH has been as high as 90%. Temps don't get above 85f which is awesome with the CO2 going. The humidity has been an issue since I got the CO2 and put my exhaust fan on a timer so that I can contain the CO2. The fan runs for 15 minutes every two hours while lights are on and constantly when the lights are off. Flowers are developing pretty quickly so I hope that a)the dehumidifier arrives soon and b) it is effective.
    If I could get the humidity down to 35% I would pleased as punch.

Attached Files:

18. good job training dude.. thats a nice even canopy so far. glad to see your aggressive defoliation of below the screen....some of those pics back there got me worried :laughing:
    whats this problem your having with the air stones in the root? I always left mine in till the end and popped em off the air line and pulled the line back through the ball. worked really well:confused: get to work on the humidity dude..:eek: looks like you got diy skills though, so im sure youll figure something out.

19. Thanks brother. No problem with the airstones, it's the submersible pump that feeds the drip lines that is a pain in the ass. I have two (thankfully) so I can swith them out when the one in the tub gets clogged. I am impressed with how deep into the pump those roots can get.