Jimmytongs micro grow -- a story of trial and error

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by jimmytong, Jul 14, 2012.

1. #1 jimmytong, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    Hey guys!

So.. Im sick of paying out of my ass for weed. 40 bucks an eighth of an oz is pretty redic. I think a short term heavy investment in growing weed will be good as I intend to smoke for a while. Weed is awesome.

I started off here, looking at forum posts. I love Billa's grow -- so simple. I tried a CFL box, but it got too hot. I scraped it and decided to design something that was cost effective and has a high potential for yield.

I decided on a veg box with 5x14 watt LED and a 90 Watt UFO LED light. And I converted an IKEA closet into a 400 watt Hortilux grow. The whole adventure cost around $700 with most of the cost coming from trial and error.

I think you can build the veg box for around 200-300 and the flower box with the hortilux for around 300-400 (including IKEA cost). That includes aquapump, thermometers, nutes, etc.

So I decided to spend money where it counted -- UFO LED lights, Fans, Ducting, and reflective surfaces. Things like timers and power cords were easy to find at walmart... actually, most electronics -- thermometers, humidity, pool ph testers, could be bought on the cheap at walmart.

Everything else -- and I mean everything else, can be found at home depot -- aquarium pump for automated watering, airstones and aerators (recycling the water)

I bought my nutes online -- the classifieds here are pretty awesome. I wouldn't go overboard on it though.

The lights were bought on Ebay. I bought a light on craigslist, and it crapped out on me, so be careful where you buy your stuff. I'm using an UFO LED (which i love) and a Hortilux 400 watt blooming bulb.

I'm using fox farm big grow nutes, with a splash of h2o2 as I am recycling the run off.

My veg box pulls around 300-350 watts (five 14 watt LED lights bought on craigslist, a 90 watt UFO, some fans and a aerator) which is awesome.

The flowering box pulls around 500-600 watts and runs around 82 degrees... Needs some more work.

Any who, I have 5 plants growing -- a Bubba Kush, Hazy OG, a Humboldt Slut (awesome name) and two mystery plants. I'm going to flower the clones off of it.

any who, check back here for updates on the grow!

All the plants are grown from clones.

Attached Files:

2. Is this your first true grow? You sound like you've done TONS of research into your setup. I wish you good luck and high yields!

3. Yep! thank youtube and google, haha

4. Alright, so I've done some updates. First off, I got rid of my recycling system in cuz I realized the plants have been getting serious nute burn off of it. So I feed once a week.

Plant's are looking good! lemme introduce

the short Bushy one is a Bubba Kush grown from clone.

The one with thin ass stems and with yellowish leaves is an OG 215. The reason why it looks like that is because i pulled off the fan leaves as an experiment. kinda stupid of me really.

the little one is a Bubba kush seedling that i found in some pretty frosty bubba. I just hope it doesn't hermy.

the two stemmy ones are OG kush and Super Sour Diesel. I topped them in the last pic, and they've grown out a lot. Kinda proud.

btw. LED's rock BUT you do need to buy LEGIT lights. I started with the 14 watt panels and they didn't do much. I added the UFO's and that did the trick, but annoyingly one of them gave out. Craigslist sucks sometimes.

If you do it right, the two UFO's will run you around $300 ish. they are 90 watts each and are supposed to do the job of a 400 watt HID (they're pretty f'ing bright). LED's are directional, which means you don't need reflective hoods to pump all the light down.

my only worry right now is odor control.

aight night

Attached Files:

5. Nice , Im an LED lover and have 2 Prakasa UFO`s think mine are a later model than yours.
    Mines 5 spectrum !!!

Im 100% sticking round for this one.
    You will be mocked for the led but fuck the haters ;)
    If used properly they produce well.

Keep it up Im subbed.
    As for odur control I`ll be using a Rhino Carbon filter and 4" inline, My tents 60x60x140cm

6. Thanks dude! I'll be taking clones off of the Super sour D sometime next week, so stay tuned!

7. So, obviously my box isn't air tight. Does that matter when you use a carbon filter for such a small space?

8. No grow space is air tight as such,it would help if it's sealed best as possible, you'll get better suction through the filter otherwise odours will leak.

9. thanks that puts me at ease

10. #10 jimmytong, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
    Hot damn! These guys are kicking ass. the BK is doing gang busters!

I topped it 2 weeks ago, and it's killing it! Here's a shot of it.

Attached Files: