Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Omega 3, Pot, PTSD, Depression & Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Storm Crow, Sep 4, 2011.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    OK a lot of you "want to pick my brain", so I am going to start showing you blades what I have found- with translations since most of you don't speak "Sci-speak" (yet). ;)

Blades, :gc_rocks: and you have no idea what a POWER we can be! But the first step is to EDUCATE YOURSELF! :yay:

"Granny's School" is now in session! lol (You can skip anything in bold! :hello:)

First lesson is on PTSD, social anxiety, depression, pot and Omega 3. The study is hot off of PubMed- August 2011!

The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interaction in the Modulation of Emotions and Cognition: Assessing the Role of Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor in Neurons Expressing Dopamine D1 Receptors.
    (abst -2011)
    [FONT=&quot]The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interactio... [Front Behav Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

Although cannabinoid CB1 receptors (CB1Rs) are densely expressed in neurons expressing dopamine D1 receptors (D1Rs), it is not fully understood to what extent they modulate emotional behaviors.

There are a lot of CB1s on some types of brain cells, but we don’t know how much they control emotional behaviors. :confused_2:

We used conditional CB1R knock-out animals lacking CB1Rs in neurons expressing D1R (D1-CB1(-/-)) in order to answer this question. To elucidate the behavioral effects of CB1R deficiency in this specific neuronal subpopulation, we subjected D1-CB1(-/-) mice to a battery of behavioral tests which included exploration-based tests, depressive-like behavioral tests, social behavior, and fear-related memory paradigms.

We used mice without a certain specific type of CB1 receptors to investigate. We ran them through tests for depressive behavior, social behavior and mouse “PTSD”.

D1-CB1(-/-) did not show any difference in the exploration-based paradigms such as open field, elevated plus maze, or novel object investigation test, except for an increase in novelty-induced grooming. By contrast, they showed a mild anhedonia-like state as described by the slightly decreased preference for sweet solution, as compared to wild-type control group. This decrease, however, could be observed only during the first day of exposure, thus suggesting increased neophobia as an alternative explanation.

In most of the tests, the mice acted normally, although when exposed to a new object, they groomed a bit more than average. Also, on the first day they didn’t drink as much sugar solution as we expected, but we think they were just a bit nervous in their new cages.

Accordingly, mutant mice performed normally in the forced swim test, a procedure widely used for evaluating behavioral despair in rodents. However, weak- to moderate anxiety-like phenotypes were evident when D1-CB1(-/-) mice were tested for social behavior.

When we tried drowning the mice in a tank (to see how long it was until they gave up and actually started to drown), again, they surprised us and “hung in there” like normal mice. This type of mouse did seem to have some social anxiety issues, however. :hide: (Thank goodness! We were beginning to think we'd have nothing to report!)

Most strikingly, (-/-) mice exhibited significantly increased contextual and auditory-cued fear, with attenuated within session extinction, suggesting that a specific reduction of endocannabinoid signaling in neurons expressing dopamine D1Rs is able to affect acute fear adaptation.

The big difference between our special D1-CB1(-/-) mice and “wild-type” mice came when we freaked them out with loud noises. Our special mice totally flipped out :eek:, and stayed freaked for a long time :bolt: , while the wild-type settled down after a while :cool:! This suggests that a reduction in CB1 receptors (that form part of the endocannabinoid signaling system) is involved in problems with dealing with bad experiences (PTSD).

These results provided first direct evidence for a cross-talk between dopaminergic D1Rs and endocannabinoid system in terms of controlling negative affect.

We think the CB1s “talk” with dopamine receptors and they cooperate to dull bad memories, and keep you saner.

So the poor mice without D1-CB1 receptors can’t take heavy stressing and they get “mouse PTSD”. Plus they have social anxiety!

Now (once again) I’ll refer you to…

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/21278728/abstract/Nutritional_omega_3_deficiency_abolishes_endocannabinoid_mediated_neuronal_functions_

A quick translation- If you don't have Omega 3 in your system, any new CB1 receptors are made defectively! A chunk that is supposed to be connected is left flopping free! And without working CB1 receptors your brain won’t work right when it comes to emotional processing. The “western diet” has almost no Omega 3, and we think this is why they are so dang crazy!

So we add “mice with no D1-CB1s getting PTSD”, to the "American diet not making working CB1s in the brain” (and likely elsewhere). This is going to be more and more important as our soldiers return. Is our Omega 3 deficient diet combined with the trauma of war setting them up for severe PTSD? And I know a lot of people are slowed down by social anxiety or depression. :(

I think adding large doses of Omega 3 to the diet of people with anxiety issues, depression and PTSD would benefit them greatly. More working CB1s sure wouldn’t hurt!

Unfortunately, brains slow down reproducing neurons as we age. But stimulating working CB receptors with either Anandamide (a THC-like chemical your body makes) or THC causes neurogenesis (the formation of new neurons). - You blades can read this one on your own! Short and easy! lol :p

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

So I think the “Granny's recommendation” for dealing with anxiety, depression and PTSD might be just eat healthy, take Omega 3 and use cannabis for a few months! A good diet never hurts, adding Omega 3 makes working new CB1s, and pot kicks the neurogenesis into high gear, and just makes you feel plain better! :smoke:

So now how's that for a first lesson? Understandable (I hope) cutting edge science! You might want to make a copy and start your own little notebook- become the local "Ganja Guru"! ;)

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice info! Quite interesting, as someone who suffers from these, i find having omega 3 in my diet has greatly effected my day to day. Everyone should be getting some for sure!:smoke:

cheers Granny!

3. Very good read, I've been using mmj for anxiety and now have a 4.0 in school and on my way to transferring to a 4 year uni.I can attest to the therapeutic benefits of using cannabis, and how it really relaxes that stress and fear that affected me so much before.

4. great post, Im about to go pick up some omega 3

5. Granny you do good work thank you.

6. Fascinating. Thank you for this translation, Granny!

7. Thank you Granny, a year and a half till I retire from the military and can partake in MMJ, will definitly try the Omega 3 till then. Hoping it will ease the dreams and let me go out to dinner once in a while without being "freaked out"

Thanks again

8. Omega 3 is awesome! Been using it for years.

9. Nice info
    Let me know when they approve med MJ for PTSD,
    Then maybe I can be legit some day :smoking:

10. Pastivity, in California you could get legal as soon as you got a driver's license to prove residency! We have some SANE cannabis laws here!

Granny

11. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Organic-Oils-16-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B002VLZ8BW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1310132304&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Barlean's Organic Oils Omega Swirl Fish Oil, Lemon Zest, 16-Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

heres the best kind you can get! It absorbs into the blood 90% better than the gel tabs and such. The molecules are smaller and absorb into the intestinal tract easier.

I take 3 tablespoons, a triple dose, and I feel so much more alive and honestly more intelligent. I get higher, and feel great. This stuff is like a miracle!!!

12. Hemp seed oil is a good source of Omega 3! You can find it at most health food stores. Unlike flax seed oil, it actually tastes pretty good and you can make an excellent salad dressing by adding cider vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic and pepper flakes! Hemp seed oil has no THC and is perfectly legal!

I find it amazing that the cannabis plant provides the THC and CBD we need to heal ourselves, and the seed oil has Omega 3 to make healthy CB receptor so we can heal with THC! Cannabis seeds are very nutritious! You can just about live on them alone (no vitamin "C", so you need fruit).

Granny

13. VERY interesting! I put hemp seeds in my cereal almost every morning. I ran out a little over a week ago and haven't gotten to the store to get more...

...I've noticed over the last few nights that it feels as if my capacity for "getting high" (for a lack of a better way of describing it) has diminished considerably! In otherwords....I've found myself vaping and vaping w/o "feeling" the same results that I've been used to. I have been writing it off to tolerance, but now I'm wondering if I just need to go get some more hemp seed!

-----------
    Thank you for your information and ALL that you do for this community and the cause! The info that you put out has undoubtedly helped thousands (myself included)! Keep fighting the good fight! Peace to you!

14. been taking omega 3's for over a year now and trying to maximize it in my diet. even if it is a placebo effect it works haha.

15. I eat my seeds all the time cause they're good for you. Lol, main reason I like buying mids in bulk so I have seeds and stems to eat. As I said in the other post, I am taking Omega-3 now. It might be overkill, but I am taking 720 mg of EPA, 480 mg of DHA, and 240 mg of "other" Omega-3, lol, whatever that means :confused:

It could all be in my head (pun intended) but I feel like my highs are.. better already.. I have a problem feeling the head highs and maybe this was a big part of it? I don't expect drastic changes, but I'll see what it's like for me in about a month as well. Well, everyday, lol, but I don't expect changes within 30 days, hopefully 90 at the most.

16. I've taken vitamins and Omega-3 and all that for a long time. What's missing for me is the cannabis, unfortunately. :( I don't feel any different without it.

17. #17 Twoshoes, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
    Just a note...Omega3 is definitely good to get, eat, take...however why not look for a source as close to natural as possible instead of second hand?
    That is, where the fish get it...they don't produce it, they get it from algae.
    Look for omega 3 derived from algae...not saying it's any better...just saying closer to the source so who knows maybe less other crap in it such as dioxin and mercury.

TS

18. Mantikore, I just popped over to PubMed to grab an example of the dosages. Your dose may be a bit high, but so far the only side effects mentioned in the studies I've looked at are "fishy burps" and looser bowel movements! This is about lowering triglycerides, but the 4 gram dose seems to be standard prescription strength.-

Prescription omega-3s: an overview for nurse practitioners.
    Prescription omega-3s: an overview... [J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2011 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

"When lifestyle and diet changes do not effectively decrease TGs, NPs will recommend pharmacological therapy as a next step. A viable pharmacological option includes prescription omega-3 (P-OM3) fatty acid ethyl esters. Each 4-g/d dose of P-OM3 provides 465 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid and 375 mg of docosahexaenoic acid. Clinical trials show that P-OM3 can safely and effectively decrease TGs by 45% in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia."

19. Green tea + omega 3 pills.

Thats what I do

20. Valuable and important information to share about Omega 3.I like it and it is so important for me due to to body building and food awareness purpose.Thank a lot.