Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CA Medical Board Revokes Medical License of Dr. Hany Assad, effective 11/23/09

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by medpotcrisis, Oct 25, 2009.

1. The California Medical Board has revoked the Medical License of Dr. Hany Assad, in a decision dated October 23, 2009.

As of November 23, 2009, at 5 p.m., Dr. Assad will no longer be a licensed physician.

You can search for the PDF decision on the California Medical Board's website via the "Enforcement Public Documents Search"

I've posted the PDF at medpotcrisis.com, and you can read the PDF on the page:

CA Medical Board Revokes the license of Dr. Hany Assad - medpotcrisis.com/hanyassad.html

or download the PDF directly from:

http://medpotcrisis.com/2009.10.23-HanyAssad-DecisionRevoked.pdf

of particular note, the Medical Board said:

If you have any questions of what the Medical Board means by the well-settled standards, please see:

What is an appropriate standard of care for Physicians who recommend Medical Marijuana for their patients - medpotcrisis.com/docs/practicestandards.html

for a one-stop summary of the appropriate standard of care for physicians that recommend Medical Marijuana - this page links to all of the documents that make up this standard, including the Medical Board's basic guidelines, the CMA (California Medical Association)'s Guidelines, the Mikuriya Case (which the Medical Board adopted as precedent at their June 2007 meeting), and some other relevant information - the Conant Decision, information about the illegal practice of medicine, and more.

If you are a current patient of Dr. Assad, be aware that your physician's statement recommending medical marijuana will be invalid as of November 23, 2009. It would be advisable to secure a new physician (and this time, perhaps you might want to consider a legitimate doctor?!?) as soon as possible.

2. So he got in trouble for abusing his power?

3. Wow. I got to get on the phone with them immediately. I just sent them a $100 cashiers check yesterday to renew my recommendation.

4. you "sent" them a check? Doctors renewals are in person.

I honestly doubt you are getting that money back without a struggle.

And find a legitimate doctor next time.

5. I renewed my recommendation because it is only $100 vs $150. And no its not in person, its over the phone. I couldn't bring it in to do it in person because someone got really sick or something. Mailing my information and copies would only take a day to get up to their office.

And thanks for restating the obvious in the rest of your post:rolleyes:

6. Damn, that's my birthday :confused_2:.

7. Yes it IS supposed to be in person. you can NOT renew over the phone or mail. :rolleyes:
    just because thats how your doc did things doesnt make them right, obviously since he just got his shit revoked:rolleyes:

8. #8 calicheese23, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    He did not get his license revoked for doing his renewals over the phone. Read the report. I'm not aware of the part in 215 that says a doctor can't do a reevaluation over the phone. I had trust because I know a few people that have used him for years without any problem.

I wasn't even arguing anything in my post. I wasn't even aware this thread was talking about whether this doc was "right" or not (which obviously he broke some big rules). Also he was the only doc in this area up until a few months ago. Many people have used his recommendations for years without problems from what I had heard. I wasn't following this case or anything until I heard about it tonight.

Edit:
    Found this:
    http://www.medbd.ca.gov/medical_marijuana.html
    Still it does seem shady to renew over mail and I'm going to go to medicann.

9. haha you win the arguement without even trying to argue i love it...

10. #10 WildWill, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    OK NOW I remember this doc after reading the PDF - he's the guy who got himself suspended from seeing female patients for a couple years.

The dude was already on medical probation when he got caught for this violation. No surprises that they revoked his certificate to practice. I read the entire PDF, these are the guys you definitely want to avoid.

Definitely a shady character. Gives the movement a black eye. Sigh.

11. Just wanted to post back some information I found. This MedPotCrisis poster has been going around on all marijuana communities and posted this information. This person does not cite where it says his recs will no longer be valid. It does not mention anything about that in the report that is cited either.

Also his license has not been revoked. Yes it probably will happen though IMO. A quick check on the California Medical Board's website shows that his license is still valid. The report that was given is a boards formal accusation (with evidence and testimony). The Attorney General then has to prosecute the doctor and prove him guilty.
    Medical Board of California - Physician/Surgeon License Lookup
    http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/WLLQRYNA$LCEV2.QueryView?P_LICENSE_NUMBER=54309&P_LTE_ID=782

Still this doesn't change the situation much except that people will his recs can still use his recs for a while longer (there are already a few clubs that don't take him and more will probably follow) at least. I'm not trying to defend this doctor (he has some very serious allegations against him) but just wanted to bring additional info to this thread.

12. #12 medpotcrisis, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
    I have posted this to multiple forums because this is important news that everyone needs to know. And if you read my post, I do say that this decision is not EFFECTIVE until November 23, 2009. Read the most recent Medical Board Document in the Public Documents Search (the one that I've posted). It says "DECISION" ordered October 23, 2009, EFFECTIVE November 23, 2009. This is different than the ACCUSATION, which was filed in December 2008.

Again, look under the "Public Documents Search" tab (where you will find DECISIONS), and the most recent one listed, November 23, 2009 - the date that it becomes effective. See the screenshot images that I've attached, that should make it clear how to find the correct document.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have linked directly to the the PDF on the Medical Board site, but it is impossible to do that through a link. So I'm hosting it on my website to make it easier for people to get access to it. Link to it all you want, I have not done anything to the document except to change the file name (it was a bunch of random alphanumeric characters).

I never said you couldn't use them through the November 23, 2009 date that this decision will become effective. However, because Assad patients will need to now find a new doctor, which hopefully should involve doing this process correctly, and to the legal standard, they should begin working on that now.

Again, these are not ALLEGATIONS. The case has been DECIDED and the decision will take effect on November 23, 2009.

Attached Files:

13. You are right. My bad.

14. #14 WildWill, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009

There's no probability about it, he WILL lose his license on November 23, 2009. I don't know why there's a 30 day waiting period, maybe to allow him to resolve his outstanding issues, but it's there in black and white, this guy is done as a doctor in California.

As to the validity of his recs, yes they're technically still valid until 11-23, but after that, even though you may be able to use them to access clubs that don't know any better, in a legal situation your rec is worthless because it's not from a board certified physician.

I read through the PDF, it's like the other PDF that I read revoking the cert of Dr. Jimenez. It even mentions the Dr. Tod Mikuriya case that established the standard of care necessary for issuing MMJ recommendations. Dr. Tod was the founder of O'Shaughnessy's MMJ journal and the test case that established that Doctors couldn't be prosecuted for merely giving out recommendations.

This is real.

15. BTW - I HIGHLY recommend that you all search that CA website to look for your own recommending doctor. I found mine, but he has ZERO docs on file, meaning as far as that site goes, he's squeaky clean - which is a good thing. In fact I had to google him and his license number just to get to that site again because he had no negatives.