Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

psychology or neurology anyone?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by dirtydingusus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. you get board or have the time.....let me know what you think about this? just cus i could use some "outsiders" opinions.....thanks!:wave:

Complex Partial Seizures Present Diagnostic Challenge - Psychiatric Times

TLE also may be responsible for chronic rather than just acute psychoses. While any of the symptoms of schizophrenia may be encountered, paranoid traits are the most common. TLE patients can be distinguished from schizophrenic patients by the maintenance, when not acutely ill, of warm affect and good rapport. In addition to the history, the diagnosis of complex partial seizure disorder can be aided by EEG. However, since such diagnosis remains a clinical one, it should be noted that several negative EEGs do not rule out the diagnosis of TLE in a given patient.

The treatment of TLE is complicated by the fact that many times improved seizure control via anticonvulsants leads to deterioration of the neuropsychiatric status. Schizophrenia-like epileptic psychoses often emerge when anticonvulsants are normalizing or improving the seizure activity. If this antithesis isn't recognized, the psychosis will soon become more of a problem than the seizures. One expert, Dietrich Blumer, M.D., has gone so far as to claim: "It is probable that the modern schizophrenia-like epileptic psychoses are largely iatrogenic in nature, caused by modern ability to control seizures."

2. Interesting :bongin:

3. you should see it from this side.....;)

4. You may find this interesting
    Schizophrenia-like Psychoses of Epilepsy and Disturbances of Folate and Vitamin B12 Metabolism Induced by Anticonvulsant Drugs -- REYNOLDS 113 (501): 911 -- The British Journal of Psychiatry
    Plasma folate and homocysteine levels may be relat... [J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2005] - PubMed result

5. have read several similar studies....

imagine having this shit your whole life and not knowing till 32yrs old......

6. just got out of hospital......not sure how long i was there.....status seizure again.........i have like one of the worst cases they have ever seen?

i dont even remember posting this thread?
    or anything elts in the last few weeks/months?
    so im reading and catching up on myself...........

7. #7 dirtydingusus, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    so let me tell you - i would rather have turrets!

I have to say this "affliction" has given me a new appreciation for this place....where elts could i go and catch up on my life.....?

8. #8 dirtydingusus, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
    a ton of info to be found here.....Epilepsy and seizure information for patients and health professionals | epilepsy.com

if i dont write shit down i cant remember it at all.....
    i am running up a stair case in an enormous void......
    each step i leave falls away into nothingness.....

there is nothing behind me.....there is no past.......

only what is yet to come!

9. The psychoses of epilepsy -- TOONE 69 (1): 1 -- Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry

10. so, what do you want to know? or trying to figure out?
    it seems like youre already diagnosed?

any kind of epilepsy comes with psych disorders. in fact, a lot of sever bipolar patients have similar looking EEGs compared to epileptics during a seizure/manic episode.

psycho somatics are a very slippery slope my friend.

11. #11 Storm Crow, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    This may interest you -

Marijuana: an effective antiepileptic treatment in partial epilepsy? (abst - 2007)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

And are you taking Omega 3? :confused:

The omega-3 fatty acid-derived neuroprotectin D1 limits hippocampal hyperexcitability and seizure susceptibility in kindling epileptogenesis. The omega-3 fatty acid-derived neuroprotectin D1 l... [Epilepsia. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

So, lets put some of the stuff in my brain together- (my GDP is GOOD!:smoke:)

You have PARTIAL epilepsy. To me that means you are borderline, your body halfway wants to seize. Omega 3 lessens the chance of "kindling" a seizure as seen in the study above.

Omega 3 is also necessary for the creation of working CB1 receptors (1) which "tell" cells what to do. The hippocampus is where the seizures start. Something is wrong with yours, or you wouldn't have seizures (duh!)

We need to fix your hippocampus! And guess what causes new growth in the hippocampus? (2) But if you are eating that average American diet, you are NOT getting enough Omega 3! If it doesn't have Omega 3, your body substitutes an Omega 6- which almost works. But the G i/o effector protein doesn't get attached right, so the neuron doesn't always "get the message" about what it should be doing! (1, again)

A possible "fix" would be to take large doses (3) of Omega 3 combined with a healthy diet (more veggies and fruit, less fatty meat) and smoking/vaping/eating cannabis!

The need for a healthier diet is just a "given"- the average American diet SUCKS! (4)

The Omega 3 should slow the kindling of your seizures, and help your body make healthy CB1 receptors that are necessary for normal brain function.

The cannabis will set off neurogenesis in the hippocampus, and it has quite a long history as an anti-epileptic! (5)

Will it work? :confused_2: But I would give it a try if I were in your shoes! Omega 3 is "heart healthy" and it lowers cholesterol. Won't hurt you at all to add it to your daily routine! :D

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :yay:

Granny :wave:

1-“Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.”
    Unbound MEDLINE | Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. PubMed Journal article abstract

Granny’s translation – “The US diet sucks big time and we are fat, undernourished, and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain aren’t made right- a chunk that is supposed to be attached, isn’t! Broken receptors give you “impaired emotional behavior”. So we think it’s the low Omega 3 diet is making the US totally nuts!”

2- Cannabinoids promote hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects
    (full - 2005) \tJCI - Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats (news – 2005)
    High-dose cannabis stimulates growth of brain cells in rats - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood
    (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

3- Up to 4 grams a day has been safely used in heart/cholesterol studies with fishy burps, easier bruising and softer bowel movement being the side effects. I could dig up the studies if you want....

4- O-6 vs. O-3 ratio
    Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think! - Free Online Library

5- Anti-epileptic Action of Marijuana-Active Substances (full - 1949) http://www.mikuriya.com/s3_6.pdf

Anticonvulsant nature of marihuana smoking. (abst - 1975)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

12. im way passed diagnosed.....;):smoke:

what do i want to know...or am i trying to figure out.....
    everything i can find out!

i have of coarse read much already...over some time.....

but who knows what one of my fellow blades may be able to let me in on?
    you may..or may not as the case may be....be surprised how much information the people on this site have led me to....

just look at a cupple of the contributions to this thread alone.....

Granny and tharedhead always have excellent contributions.....all over the board....(thank you both!)and they are not alone

what do i expect ......?idk?
    but so far i have already gotten more then i had found on my own;):smoke:
    more in a bit:smoke:

13. i see. your initial posts were in the form of a question and since youre already way beyond diagnosis i was a bit confused about what you actually wanted to know.
    if youre just looking for general info theres a ton on this site so search around but if you cant even remember than i for sure feel ignorant for even saying anything haha. a thread no doubt helps. im a complete dumbass really and dont know what im talking about half the time but i try :/

i used to date a girl who had grand mals.
    granny and thareadhead (my old girl was a red head that had seizures :) i fuckin love red heads) did give a lot of info but i mean, this thread could be pages and pages long if you wanted to post everything out there on psych disorders related to epilepsy and vice versa.

its like trying to mind dump with no starting point. i dont really read studies from the internet cause after a while staring at a display screen just hurts and literally starts to destroy your brain. reading a screen doesnt stimulate like a book. in fact, it throws it into atrophy so i stay away.

seizures (and most psych disorders as well) dont really have anything to do with neurons themselves. its a shame, but most cells in your brain arent even grey matter. theyre white (about 80% of brain cells are white matter glia). no one really has been studying them. astrocytes, microglia, schwann, and oligodendrocytes are the main types of glia. theyre not electrically conducive like neurons so most of the studies havent focused on them.
    theyre the reason for cancer and most brain disorders in general. the only problem is theyre also the cure - its a fine line. white matter research is in its infancy but most of the studies and info granny posted as far as omega 3 and even thareadheads folate and b12 info has to do with glia and not neurons. the hippocampus does produce neurons but it produces more glia than anything. the G proteins and fatty acids dont stick to neurons at all, they stick to glia since theyre made of fat. neurons communicate like hard wired phone calls, glia communicate like cell phones. so yea, partial complexes may start in the hippocampus but spread to other parts very rapidly which is why they start to effect other functions like those broca examples she posted. temporal lobes and PFC as well.

theres been a pretty good amount of research on the b 12 effect. no joke, those 5 hour energy things are crazy medically for seizures. its 3000% b 12. even shizo disorders can benefit from 5 hour energy.
    another big one is gluten. its been shown to worsen shizo/epileptic symptoms.
    if you smoke cigs, stop. they worsen symptoms. nicotine is an antagonist and kills glia which again, is the cause of cancer.
    theres a lot that can be done to improve your life but really it just comes down to balance which im sure you know all about. besides different meds i mean.
    vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc etc.
    your brain is a plant and it needs to be nurtured just like anything else. its a balance of ingredients.

as far as the psychology or neurology question...
    the answer is both really. although neurology has more to do with spines than anything. not many neurologists deal with brains specifically.
    stress obviously is psychiatric but has physical effects. im sure you can feel auras easier when your stressed.

idk im just gonna stop trippin out in this thread now. i dont know anything. in hindsight there is probably nothing of relevance in this post
    :)

good luck.

14. i wish it was that simple!!!!!!!
    by partial...they mean that it is "confined" to certain parts of my brain...it starts in my temporal lobe...and travels to my frontal lobe....rather then "generalized" where the whole brain is involved....(i have those too just not as often and never had one before they fed me anti-epileptic drugs)

so we took out the temporal lobe they came from.....and the frontal lobe missed it so much...it figured out how to get it from the left side......
    this is likely in part because i spent all my life before that trying to hold on to that feeling everytime it came....and looking for it when it wasnt there....
    physically....there is nothing wrong with my brain at all....even before surgery...all my MRIs were always perfect......
    my old neurologist took copies of my MRIs to a conference he was speaking at to show around because he had never seen or heard of anyone having as many seizures as i do...and having such a perfect MRI.....
    the problem i have with my hippocampus is when it goes on vacation!!!!!!!!and doesnt bother "laying down" any new memories for awhile....
    i have been trying some things with my diet.....will see how it goes?

i have been trying some things with my diet.....will see how it goes?

@tharedhead
    what i am finding...in my reading and in my experience.....is that the psychosis is without a doubt compounded by the meds.....or by stopping or reducing the seizures in anyway......
    i am much better off without them....

now even without the meds....and having little simple partials all the time... and the occasional complex partials as well as who knows how often im having generalized(at least 3 in the last month that i know about-and only know cus i bit part of my tongue off each of those times)
    the psychosis is still quite apparent...it is at its peek in the postictal state....
    and it is different now....post surgery...
    and i am reading that often when it is the left lobe(the one i have left) that the seizures come from that the psychosis is more prevalent....

15. not yet i havent....
    some days are ruff.....
    just trying to keep myself together has been a bitch these last few months....
    i been staying with my sister the last cupple years...since surgery.....and it has come to a point where i need to be finding someplace elts to go.....
    she has a man now that she didnt have before and they have become serious enough to want to be moving in together...and they probably would have done so already if not for me.....and she wont say so...but i see it....so now it is time to figure out which way to wonder.....