Senior project involving marijuana activism?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'm not really sure how much I would actually be able to get away with on this. If I keep it professional and educational though, I'm pretty sure I could pull it off. My only question is, what could I do? At my school senior project can be virtually anything as long as it is appropriate and it has enough content. I'd like to do something semi-inspirational though. Where the panel judging my project and hard work stands there and says, "Well ya'know, I'm not completely for marijuana, but this kid did put a lot of work into making a difference."

What I'm asking may be a difficult thing to answer. It may also be in the wrong section. I'd normally post a question in the apprentice tokers section, but I'm looking for more than stupid stoner answers. I'm looking for a serious, mature, educational approach to a project about something I feel passion towards. Thank you.

2. #2 Storm Crow, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    You want to sneak it in? How about "Senior nutrition, Alzheimer's and the endocannabinoid system"? Let me outline it for you-

American diet sucks, and the diet of the elderly is even worse! Almost zero Omega 3 and way too much Omega 6. Now, Omega 3 is needed to make functioning CB1 receptors (the ones that get you high and much more! :smoke: ). Without working CB1 receptors, the brain begins to shrink and mental functions diminish. :(

Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think!
    Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think! - Free Online Library

The role of phytochemicals in the treatment and prevention of dementia. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | The role of phytochemicals in the treatment and prevention of dementia. PubMed Journal article abstract

In mice that are bred not to have any CB1 receptors, the mice go senile and they look like they are aging faster than normal.

Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to cognitive abilities and skin structure in Cnr1(-/-) mice. (abst – 2011)
    Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to... [Neurobiol Aging. 2010] - PubMed result

So what happens if Omega 3 is added to a senile person's diet?

Omega-3 fatty acids increase brain volume: while reversing many aspects of neurologic aging.(full – 2010)
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Omega-3+fatty+acids+increase+brain+volume%3a+while+reversing+many...-a0237529250

[FONT=&quot]
    Based on that, Omega 3 should be added to the diet of seniors at risk for Alzheimer's or other conditions that are marked by loss of mental capacities. (And it wouldn't hurt you either!)

CB1 agonists (activators) PREVENT the deposit of Beta amyloid plaque - the physical evidence of Alzheimer's. And wait til you see what WebMD says about THC! :eek: (This is where you slip in the MMJ info! ;) And WebMD is oh, so RESPECTABLE! LOL) See sentence #2!

[/FONT] Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

So that should get you started. PubMed can supply even more- just type in "Cannabinoid + Alzheimer's", or Omega 3, or any number of other subjects! This is cutting edge medicine!

Granny :wave:
    [/FONT]

3. Lol your "senior project" is going to be on why "senior Citizens" should use cannabis. NICE!

4. #4 Storm Crow, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    Dudes, all you gotta do is click that first link in my sig and just start reading til you see something that looks good! If you want to do a paper on MMJ- I have done 99% of your research! And you dudes might want to bookmark this page for when you have to do a paper next semester! lol

Granny

5. I think it's genius. If I had known about all of this 16 or 17 years ago, I would have done my senior project on it too. But this type of study is even more important theses days, now that people are living longer. It's one thing to live longer. It's another thing entirely to live longer AND enjoy some quality of life.

6. And for the delightful "kicker"-

HEMP SEED OIL is an excellent source of Omega 3! (And no danger of mercury contamination like with fish oil)

The cannabis plant provides the Omega 3 that we need to heal ourselves with cannabinoids!

Therapeutic Hemp Oil (news - 1993)
    Therapeutic Hemp Oil

Hemp seed oil: A source of valuable essential fatty acids (full - 1996)
    \tHemp seed oil: A source of valuable essential fatty acids

\tOccurrence of "omega-3" stearidonic acid in hemp seed (full - 1996)
    \tOccurrence of "omega-3" stearidonic acid in hemp seed
    \t
    Hemp Seed Oil : The Wonder Oil For the New Millennium ( full - 1999)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/Happi/HempSeedOilTheWonderOilForTheNewMillennium.htm

Hempseed oil can be bought at health food stores and makes a nice oil and vinegar salad dressing (Cider or wine vinegar, hemp oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, ground bud?) Isn't cannabis amazing!