CONGRESS ASKS OBAMA TO REMOVE MARIJUANA FROM SCHEDULE 1 DRUGS

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by DeathMadeTangible, Feb 12, 2014.

1. #1 DeathMadeTangible, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    The moment we've all been waiting for? Kinda.

This is DEFINITELY a step in the right direction.
    http://blumenauer.house.gov/images/stories/2014/02-12-14%20Blumenauer%20Rescheduling%20Letter.pdf

Congress Calls on President Obama to Use His Authority to Reclassify Marijuana

Letter signed by eighteen federal legislators says marijuana's current status "makes no sense"
    WASHINGTON, DC - Eighteen Members of Congress joined together today in calling on President Obama to use his authority to reclassify marijuana from its current position as a dangerous drug, alongside heroin and LSD, with no medical value.
    letter sent by federal legislators today says that marijuana's current status “makes no sense,” and requests that President Obama “instruct Attorney General Holder to delist or classify marijuana in a more appropriate way.” The Congressional letter comes just days after Obama told The New Yorker magazine that marijuana was less dangerous than alcohol.
    Although marijuana was sold as an over-the-counter medicine until the 1930s, produced by the likes of pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly, the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970 classified marijuana as a Schedule I substance. Ignoring White House-appointed commissions, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) judges, and reports, all calling for marijuana's reclassification, the federal government has refused to recognize the medical science and popular will in order to maintain marijuana's current status.
    \nGive a round of applause to these brave Congressmen and women:
    In addition to Representative Blumenauer, the Congressional letter sent to President Obama today was co-signed by Representatives Steve Cohen (D-TN), Sam Farr (D-CA), Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ), Mike Honda (D-CA), Jared Huffman (D-CA), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Alan Lowenthal (D-CA), James McGovern (D-MA), James Moran (D-VA), Beto O'Rourke (D-TX), Jared Polis (D-CO), Mike Quigley (D-IL), Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Eric Swalwell (D-CA), and Peter Welch (D-VT).

2. Hell muthafuckin yea :smoke:

3. Holy Balls that's great.

4. why not...it was put on there by a potus (nixon) so why not have another remove it...

5. P.S. guys if you google these Congressmen's names, you'll find their facebooks/twitters/emails. Give them a nice thank you. 

6. #6 00Hassel, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
    That's great thanks for the link.

I could not agree with them any more - it just doesn't make sense. I don't know if anyone has the brass to call them out for it, but in reference to how LITTLE sense their current policy makes:

How is it legally, ethically possible for them to consider it Schd 1 "no medicinal value," yet the SAME government holds a patent on cannabinoids as "neuroprotectant and antioxidant" ?? That knowledge is the basis of why it is being used TODAY, effectively to treat Alzheimer's and other neuro-degenerative conditions. That is separate from the mounds of research highlighting all the other medicinal/pharmacological properties - anti cancer and so on.

Moreover, if there's no medicinal value how does the government allow pharmaceutical companies to patent strains of cannabis and preparation methods (extraction) to be used medicinally?

They HAVE to change their policy because cannabis awareness has hit CRITICAL MASS amongst the mainstream population. Across the country, citizens' BS meters are going through the roof at this level of extreme hypocracy. People are seeing through the smoke and mirrors of reefer madness propaganda.

What, does the GOV want to get sued by "we the people" for blatantly lying and protecting corporate interests? Do they want the people to demonstrate even less regard and respect towards the gov, than the present low amount?

If they want to maintain ANY credibility, if they want to keep their cushioned, high-payed political careers that afford them the luxury of living off our sweat, blood and tears (tax dollars), without maintaining a "real job" - they MUST push this issue.

It has already been proven - the politicians who refuse to support the will of the people regarding cannabis, WILL be voted out of office. To quote ol' Donny Trump - YOU'RE FIRED!

Edit:

I found my state congressmen who participated in that, Jared Polis. I posted on his facebook expressing gratitude and sharing some of the above thoughts with him.

7. ^The no medical value came from a study done in the 50s-60s where they put gas marks on monkeys and pumped in marijuana smoke and cut off the oxygen supply.

As we all know, when your brain is deprived of oxygen, brain cells die. They choked the monkey (that's what she said) and the conclusion they reached was O MARIJUANA KILLS BRAIN CELLS.  

8. Oh god, another "step in the right direction" misdirection.
    1. Schedule II opens the flood gates for big pharma.
    2. Drug war continues on like it's gotten a shot of steroids, stronger than ever.

Schedule change doesn't mean a thing as it relates to the drug war. More deceit people are falling for.

9. If that happens then all will be we'll, people can grow freely and when your transporting your weed you won't be prosecuted, it's win win

If its legal, then the big pharmas can have it. There will be that many good people growing it that it will decrease in value for buying in a black market.

Apart from the market won't be that black, anyone with a spare room can grow good buds and I'm sure some of those people will be willing to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. If Obama wanted to leave a lasting legacy for his presidency, One he would be remembered by...then all he has to do is legalize Marijuana!!!!!

11. Would this correspond to lesser charges if caught?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. maybe the lame duck can do something right for a change.

13. Actually yes it does Floating, not if its kept schedule 1 or 2, but they are asking for schedule 3 or 4 which would effectively legalize and allow for much further in depth research and clinical trials on the medicinal benefits, not just negative effects, of cannabis.

14. There's even one republican in there.

15. I'll be sure to drop a line for INDIANA. WTF

16. Trippers, I noted that too. Just goes to show how entrenched the "old guard" remains on this issue. They say they want to attract new voters, but won't bend their agenda to accommodate them and the changing times. They cling to a "refer madness" mentality despite the new research that most conservatives have come to accept. If enough voters would just contact their Republican reps and point this out I think they'd change their tune. It is not surprising to me that Tea Party candidates seem to support changing the laws and I would dare to say that they are the party that is attracting new voters- young and old.

I'll be writing my rep's today.

Conservatives aren't supposed to change, that's why they're called conservatives.

But what Republicans are for is States-Rights > Federal Rights and Small Government. That's what people's gripe should be about - that Republicans who were always pro-state are not getting on-board the marijuana bandwagon.