600W White Rhino Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cherokee91red, Oct 26, 2013.

1. So I had this started in another one of my threads but decided to move it here. Figured a 600W grow does not deserve to be in the micro grow forum. So a quick recap,..... this is my 3rd grow, only 1 of my 2 grows were successful. Last grow was just harvested, got 13.4 OZ wet off a sour diesel. This current grow, a Greenhouse Seeds White Rhino, has been vegging a few weeks now and tonight was forced to move it to my flower cabinet due to space restrictions. I have the lights still on 18/6 for now. Got a screen set up and ready to go for this girl, 2"x2" squares. After she starts to fill up the screen, ill flip the lights back to 12/12. This plant has been topped twice so far and is running in RO water. Nutes were sitting at about 450 before, dropped to 300 for the switch to the HPS. The veg box runs only 50W of CFLs, the jump to a 600HPS is pretty stressful, don't want to cause any nute burn due to stress. I'll monitor the PPMs as she goes to see where she wants to be. Overall really happy so far, growth is thick, large and dark green, really quite the Rhino. Tonight is day 26 from seed pop.

Nutes are currently ProGrow with Hygrozyme and endomaxx. Once switching to flower I also have Botanicare probloom, PK 13-14, and Floralicious Plus to add to the mix.
    DSCN6877.JPG DSCN6885.JPG DSCN6889.JPG DSCN6890.JPG DSCN6893.JPG DSCN6895.JPG DSCN6907.JPG DSCN6917.JPG DSCN6924.JPG DSCN6931.JPG DSCN6932.JPG DSCN6941.JPG DSCN6942.JPG

2. Started 12/12 lighting today. Hasn't quite gotten to filling up the screen yet, but I know from past experience, going from the little veg cag to the 600W, growth just explodes, way more than the typical 2-3 times that is the norm around GC. Growth is still greatm, thick and green. Two toppings really did the trick to make it grow bushy too. Shes really thirsty, going through a gallon every other day. And even more than thirsty, she is HUNGRY as fuck. Heres my PPM trend since moving to the bigger cabinet
    Day 1 - 353
    Day 2 - 306
    Day 4 - 223
    Upped it at day 4 to 472
    Day 6 - 350
    Upped today, day 6, to 574

DSCN6949.JPG DSCN6950.JPG DSCN6951.JPG

3. Just some lights-off photos update. Upped PPM's to 650, already hungrier than my last plant ever was. Leaves are everywhere, can't even see the main stem anymore without doing a lot of work.
    DSCN6952.JPG DSCN6953.JPG

4. Cheers mate im growing 2 white rhino plants as well mine are just little clones atm. yours look like some heavy indica phenotypes usually you get some really nice rock solid nugs off plants that look like yours.

That's what I'm hoping for. This is the first indica dominant strain I've really grown, the other 2 were heavy sativa.

6. I.ve just grown white rhino from greenhouse seeds..yield was awesome and is a lovely smoke high in thc and cbd
    I.ll be watching your progress for sure

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks bud, good to hear. I've only smoked white rhino once in my life but it was definitely the only high I can ever remember being so great. I've had these seeds for almost a year now, went through 3 different growth attempts of other strains (1 successful) in order to be sure I knew what I was doing for these babies.

8. #8 cherokee91red, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    Today is what I will consider Day 1 of flower. First pair of baby pistils have been found.
    DSCN6954.JPG DSCN6955.JPG DSCN6956.JPG DSCN6957.JPG

If you open the photo in a new tab it wont be ginormous

9. Couple problems have come to light the last couple days. I thought it was just a dying-off of the lower leaves but it looks like I have a calcium deficiency coming up from the bottom of the plant. Added a little calmag to the reservoir, hopefully put a stop to that problem.
    DSCN6960.JPG DSCN6961.JPG
    Problem 2 is a little heat stress. One of my fans pointing right up at the light fell over, resulting in the pc fan pushing hot air from below the light right across the tops of the leaves. You can almost see the line below where the fan was blowing and pointing.
    DSCN6958.JPG DSCN6959.JPG

10. I hear you can use milk to fix calcium deficiencies :smoke:

11. White Rhino is a great strain, so compact in stature but heavy hitting for sure. I'm thinking I might take it up one of these days

12. Not much new to speak about. Only odd thing is I have seen few if any new pistils pop out, theres just a pair of them here and there. I really can't have this girl growing to much longer, already there are nodes popping up through the screen and the stems are so thick I don't think I can physically pull it back through without snapping it.

Attached Files:

13. only second week of flower she's still got some time to develop. just let her grow up now past the screen you should be ok.

14. #14 cherokee91red, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    Update...
    So, flowering is going along better, pistils have started sprouting up pretty rapidly over the last few days. PPM's have been liking to be around the 600 mark, rising pretty quickly once it gets above 650. I flushed tonight and refilled with RO water, nuted to 600PPM because I've been having some issues with some of the leaves. The lower leaves are rusting, so upped the calmag. I was just going off the included calmag in the bloom formula. The upper leaves have also started to yellow, not sure if this is due to light bleaching or a nute deficiency. Its most prominent on the leaves nearest to the center of the light, so as a precaution I installed a piece of the fencing I used for the screen as a partial light blocker. Really hope those colas don't stretch any further, I'm only sitting about 15" below the light and neither the light nor the reservoir are capable of moving. Not worried about temps though, topping out between 75 and 81.
    DSCN6982.JPG DSCN6985.JPG DSCN6983.JPG DSCN6981.JPG

Oh yea, in regards to the branches and light proximity. There is absolutely no way to tie back or bend these branches down, this thing is a fucking tree.

15. Not sure if it was the flush or the partial light blocker, (Leaning heavily towards the flush), but the plant is looking 100% better. All the leaves have perked back up straight and looking good.

Attached Files:

16. Nice bro she's looking a lot happier than the last pictures...how far into flower are you?

about 2 1/2 weeks

18. Back from a nice vacation and have found good and bad things. The good is that pistil and trichome production are doing great. I do have a lot of yellowing though, with necrosis in the lower fan leaves but I do not know if this is just what happens with such a big canopy overhead. Some yellowing at the top of the plant and cannot determine if it is light bleaching or some deficiency, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

19. Everything is still tracking well overall. The fan leaves are still turning yellow and browning from the outside in. I think for my next flush I will switch from a 2-1-1 of probloom-calmag-pk13/14 to a 1-2-2. I feel like I need way more calcium, magnesium and nitrogen and hoping to gather a little extra of that with offsetting the amount of base nutes I'm putting in. The smell has gotten way stronger and I have had to route my exhaust out the window to keep the place from reeking to bad. I'm excited since I am still 4-6 weeks from harvest and it smells better now than my first plant ever did.

Now for the details....
    DSCN7033.JPG DSCN7037.JPG

This is one of my better looking buds, its further from the light and right next to the fans, seems to be spreading out nicely.
    DSCN7034.JPG

This is a strange guy. The leaves and nodes are super dense and there are a ton of trichs all over the leaves. However, there are no pistils anywhere on this bud that I can see until about 3-4 inches down from the top. Has anyone run across something like this before?
    DSCN7035.JPG

And this last bud is one I pollinated. This white rhino seed was my only one and I don't want to lose her. So I had some keralaXskunk regular seeds laying around and popped them on 12/12 and set them in my window sill to grow. 1 of them turned male so I collected the sacs and dabbed a little pollen onto the top of the cola. It wasn't terribly precise so a few other areas may be pollinated but it was pretty localized... stuck some pollen on my fingertip in the other room, then walked into the grow room/closet and dabbed the top of the cola with my finger. I noticed a handful of pistils turned brown a receded overnight so I think it was a success.
    DSCN7036.JPG

20. nice! good call on the seeding. quick question though, what exactly is the screen doing there?