My First Grow & Build

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OldDoobie, Feb 24, 2013.

1. #1 OldDoobie, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the help so far, I am starting the build now !!

Stuff I have so far :

Bought from plantlightinghydroponics dot com
    (best prices I could find, spoke to them on the phone many times before ordering they were always very nice and seemed a bit hurried and busy
    Ordered Thursday 2-21, Tracking says stuff will be here Monday 2-25, will let you all know about my experience with them ASAP
    (some people here said they were somewhat unorganized but I decided to give them a chance)

Phantom 600W Digital Ballast = $139.90
    Hydrofarm Radiant 6" Air Cooled Reflector RD6AC = $99.90
    Ushio HiLux 600W MH Bulb = $79.90
    Ushio HiLux 600W HPS Bulb = $58.90
    Active Air 6" 400 CFM Fan = $79.90
    Active Air Variable Speed Fan Control = $17.90

Bought from Amazon
    [SIZE=-1]Hydrofarm TM01715D 7-Day Digital Program Timer $14.99[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]C.A.P TMP-1 Cooling Thermostat rated 15 Amps $53.46[/SIZE]
    Apollo Horticulture 1/8'' Rope Ratchet (Improved Metal Gears) $11.61

Bought from greners dot com
    ThermoFlo 2000 SR Premium Ducting 6" x 25' $36.95

Homedepot
    Build Part 1 : 6" round metal duct, paint, caulk, Spackle, wood, assorted stuff $161.53

So Far a total of about $800

Stuff I will get from plantlightinghydroponics dot com
    (once the 1st order proves to be ok
    )

Phresh Intake Filter 6in x 12in 450 CFM $59.90

Plan so far :
    a 600 watt grow with 1 to a max of 4 plants, most likely a SCROG grow with just 2 plants
    (maybe I could get some advice on how many plants in that space and to SCROG or not to SCROG (8 foot high ceiling)

Building : 3 story, 40 unit Condo (I own my unit)

Room : Outside walls of Building, closet (cement floor, Sheetrock on Cinderblock walls
    Ceiling is Sheetrock hanging from steel and cement (2 foot crawl space in ceiling)

Size : 3.5' wide, 3' deep, 8' high

The first thing I did was rent a "boring machine" from Home Depot ($70 for 4 hours) and drill 4 - 6 inch holes in the floor (this way I can have a sealed system if I need to control heat or cold weather at some point in the future, for now I will only be using 2 holes and sealing the other 2)

The left side of the room you will notice the holes are not right up against the wall because the room downstairs is offset a bit

My plan is to control all the air from below, I have A/C, outside air, dehumidifiers, heat and humidifiers downstairs, I am going to use 6 inch round metal ducts to go through the floor

Next I have to Spackle and paint, then caulk all seams and gaps to make it as air tight as possible

To Be Continued.... :)

Pics:

Attached Files:

2. Nice setup you've got Doobie. you should look into adding CO2 to your system since you have the atmosphere controlled so well.

I'm doing my first SCROG and I definitely like it. Mine is done out of necessity since I'm doing it in a kitchen cabinet (36" height) but it does a fantastic job of keeping all the budsites even and keeping down any shaded spots. They do tend to make everything fixed in place, so you might want to consider just doing LST until you see how you and the plants all fit within the room. It's pretty similar, all about bending the plant over and maximizing the exposure to a fixed light source. Keep us updated.

3. Thanks Man, I have been wanting to do this for YEARS... definitely keeping the CO in the back of my mind, Lots to learn yet, THANK GOD for the forum... Reading all the posts here, in the "grand scheme of things" Everyone is growing Pot, gives an older guy a really good feeling since I have been persecuted my whole life. I started smoking in 1974 @ the age of 15.

In the 80's... Then 90's ... Then the 00's I always thought that modern day Prohibition would be OVER SOON....

It's like a bad Pink Floyd reference "ten years have got behind you" I am now turning 54...almost 40 Frigging years?? Really ??

How SAD for all the people in JAIL..... :confused:

4. Ok,

Everything I bought from plantlightinghydroponics dot com was FINE
    (tested everything, all seems to be new and in good working order)

Sum up my experience with them:

1) Cheapest
    2) Very FAST
    3) Seems to be new and in good working order)
    4) Easy to get on the phone

Phantom 600W Digital Ballast = $139.90
    Hydrofarm Radiant 6" Air Cooled Reflector RD6AC = $99.90
    Ushio HiLux 600W MH Bulb = $79.90
    Ushio HiLux 600W HPS Bulb = $58.90
    Active Air 6" 400 CFM Fan = $79.90
    Active Air Variable Speed Fan Control = $17.90

Now I'll order the other things from them and let you all know how it goes

Next Up: Should have room finished in the next few days, Pics to follow

Need to order seeds

Best seeds for 2 plants in a 3.5 foot X 3 foot X 8 foot ?
    Are there strains that are more ideal for beginners?
    What breeders would you recommend I get them from ?

Later

5. Northern lights seems to be a consensus good choice as a beginners grow. It's what I plan on ordering from Attitude tomorrow (big sale tomorrow if you didn't know) for my first grow. Hardy plant and relatively low odor or so I've read. Looking forward to following your grow especially since I will be starting mine a few weeks after.

6. Hey Hempy,

Let me know when you start and I'll pull up a chair :wave:

ORDERED SEEDS UPDATE

Attitude Seed Bank
    Ordered Thursday 2-28 @ 2:30 AM eastern time

Contents of order:

Product: Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze
    Options: Feminized Cannabis Seeds - 05 seeds
    Quantity: 1
    Product Code: GREY21
    Price: $53.04

Product: Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck
    Options: Feminized Cannabis Seeds - 03 seeds
    Product Code: HUMK151
    Price: $32.42

Product: Vision Seeds Northern Lights
    Options: Feminized Cannabis Seeds - 05 seeds
    Product Code: VISZ162
    Price: $30.30

FREE STUFF

Product: FEMINIZED UFO #1 World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Skunk
    Product Code: FEMINIZED UFO #1
    Price: $0.00

Product: FEMINIZED UFO #2 Positronics Seeds Amnesia Mystery
    Product Code: FEMINIZED UFO #2

Product: FEMINIZED UFO #3 Positronics Seeds Black Widow
    Product Code: FEMINIZED UFO #3

Product: Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck
    Product Code: HUMK151

Thursday 2-28 @ 2:34 AM eastern time
    Your order from Attitude Gifts has been successful

Thursday 2-28 @ 3:00 AM eastern time
    Order Status Change: Tracking

They have an option to "guarantee" your order, You buy a T-shirt ($9.99)
    If you don't they won't guarantee your order

For my order it was $115 in seeds

$22.92 for "Postage & Packaging"
    (that's 9.99 for the shirt they "hide" the seeds in and 12.93 for the shipping)

Then I found a coupon for a discount ($11.58 off)

(Code = 420)

Grand total with COOL Shirt $126.92.....

Now I just clench my teeth for the next 15 days.... :confused:
    Will keep you all posted !!

7. #7 Hempywulf, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    Oh no! Couldn't you wait one more day? They have their big birthday promotion tomorrow that gives you like 10 free seeds as well as the UFO's in 12 hours or so.

BTW your order is a mirror image of what I was planning on ordering NL, SLH, and trainwreck was a top candidate for the last choice or maybe something user friendly like C99.

I will start the journal once I get all the goodies/parts in the mail and cross my fingers. I'll send you a PM when it goes live :)

Curious are you going to do a soil grow or something else? I plan on doing a DWC for starters to get my feet wet (no pun intended).

Thanks for the code as well, my wallet is in your debt.

8. I hear really good things about C-99 from one than one person here, I am new but want to help others with the things I have learned so far

I'm going with Foxfarm soil (I think) :)

I ordered now to try and get ahead of the rush, hoping they can get me out the door before all the Bday orders come in (need them ASAP)

I figured with everyone waiting for the Bday specials it would swamp the orders leaving after Friday, They got my order processed at like 7 AM their time

I will keep you all updated on when they get it out the door....

9. Ahh, I see there was a method to the madness :) Now that you mentioned it, I'm sure your order will get to you before the rest of us shut that server down.

I got some fox farm laying around for the DWC so I'll give it a go as well. Hopefully, she will treat us right in soil and water.

10. You said you posted your proposed growroom, had to locate it...

The air flow has to go 'through' the room. There has to be a passively controlled and easily regulated intake from the bottom and output inside at the top, the hot air will rise to the top of the room, and will not drop downward, ever. I see your holes all at the bottom. You might run some tubing up one of your walls, to the top header, and let that be the 'pull' out, but placed as high on that room as possible. Moisture will be your downfall without addiquate ducting off of the ceiling, especially with drywall as the backdrop.

Plastic, panda film, the white kind, is needed here. You have no idea how messy spill of soil can be, or 'oops, that shits goooood, I missed the plant completely' watering inside of a house. Line everything, expect water spillage, soil spillage, slop, funguses, bacteria and bugs.

Your light is going to be warm as hell on the 3ft deep sides of the room, it's good that you have an air cooled hood to keep the temps controlled, but allow for air flow on the short sided walls, and keep an eye on them until you know that those walls are safe. I have burned walls, tents, plants, my hair, my neck, my hands...lights/lamps get hot.

Lemon Haze is a bitch to grow.

Co2 kills.

Look into better soil that FFOF. It's not 'the bomb' and all that other teen word shit. It's expensive and not worth the purchase. Make your own, cheeper, better, longer lasting.

Oh, I move air down in winter, and up in summer, keeps the plants passively warmed in winter and passively cooled in summer. Just a thought.

You haven't achieved a double walled, or room in a room, concept. When you open that cabinet, it's going to be smelled by EVERyONE. Early on inside, I had this problem endlessly. I ended up contructing a bay/bigger room around my room; to step into with a door behind me, with constant negative suction to both areas, so that when the doors were open, and I was playing with my stinky plants, they didn't emit scent into my house. Not, at all. Be careful with just the one cabinet, and look at the whole picture, what happens when you open yours? Is there a room containment around it, separate from your other living areas, one which you can run a negative pressure line from? If it is in a separate bedroom, run a line from the larger room to be turned on when the cabinet is open, to remove the air constantly from the larger room.

Get ready, they stink.

Good luck.

11. #11 OldDoobie, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
    Hi

"You might run some tubing up one of your walls, to the top header"

I'm using 6 inch galvanized vent pipe to achieve the air control you are referring to (pics will be up soon)

"it's good that you have an air cooled hood to keep the temps controlled"

This hood is high quality, I love it, someone said you lose 8% because of the glass but then others say you can get closer so I figure it's much safer anyway

The back 2 holes are just for the hood, I figure galvanized vent pipe to 1/2 way up the wall so the light movement will be like 1/2 up and 1/2 down on the flex line

The front 2 holes are just for the room, I figured them just the way you said

Final setup changes:

Fire Safety:
    1) using "High Temp" shut off, set to "if temp goes above X shut down light till I find it and reset it myself"
    (Titan Controls Zephyr 2 High Temperature Light Control $59.90 )

2) Wireless smoke detector linked to my other units

3) I found a 6 kg "Flame Defender" for like $40 (normally $80) delivered!!
    (They have 3 left GET ONE right away if you have a need)

Flame Defender Extinguisher 6kg 740706 Flame Defender : Hydrogalaxy.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjMZz8gxbA"]Sunlight Supply Presents: Flame Defender - Fire Extinguisher for Indoor Growing Environments - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77fD8fUayg"]Sunlight Supply Presents: Flame Defender Demonstration - Self Activated Fire Extinguisher - YouTube[/ame]

They have been making these for YEARS for restaurant grill areas

The defender goes off @ about 155 F, the high temp switch goes off @ about 130 F, I have a $20 alarm thermometer set to make a buzz if it goes above 90 F or so

The airflow on the intake for the hood : First in the room below the left rear hole a Phresh Intake Filter 6in x 12in (450 CFM), Then Active Air 6" 400 CFM In-line Duct Fan, Then Active Air 6 Inch Backdraft Damper, Then 6 inch galvanized vent pipe through the hole, Then 1/2 way up the grow room wall change over to ThermoFlo 2000 SR flex Ducting (leaving an equal amount for light movement up and down), Then through the hood, Then back to flex Ducting, then to galvanized vent pipe through the floor, then to exhaust

I decided to send the air though the hood positive pressure because they claim the hood is (or will be:)) sealed mostly air tight, this way I dont have to worry about smell on the light cooling system (no carbon filter needed) because the hood will "leak" into the room, all ducts will have the HVAC metal vent tape to seal all seams to keep leaking down to nothing

The airflow on the intake for the room the front left hole, First in the room below the left front hole a Phresh Intake Filter 6in x 12in (450 CFM), Then Active Air 6 Inch Backdraft Damper, Then 6 inch galvanized vent pipe through the hole, Then stopping at a point to be figured by testing on the grow room wall, Then mixed and moved around the room with fans, Then from a point to be figured by testing on the grow room wall galvanized vent pipe through the floor, Then Active Air 6" 400 CFM In-line Duct Fan, Then to Phresh Carbon Filter

btw, I am a HVAC guy for 30 years :)

Lemon Haze is a bitch to grow.

I figure 6 plants, 4 centered and 1 on each end

This is what I will have ( postal Gods willing :) )

5 seeds : Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze
    3 seeds : Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck
    5 seeds : Vision Seeds Northern Lights

Then I have 1 of each of the free seeds :

1 World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Skunk
    1 Positronics Seeds Amnesia Mystery
    1 Positronics Seeds Black Widow
    1 Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck (so that makes a total of 4 counting the 3 above)

Just off the top of your "head" :) are any of the free ones more of a Sativa high? What should I germinate ?

Co2 kills.

Not doing that on first grow, must learn to grow first :)

Look into better soil that FFOF. It's not 'the bomb' and all that other teen word shit. It's expensive and not worth the purchase. Make your own, cheeper, better, longer lasting.

Will GLADLY take a recommended recipe from you :)

You haven't achieved a double walled, or room in a room, concept.

Ahh But I have had this place on negative pressure "lock down" for over 10 years
    (I smoke a lot, :bongin: never one complaint) the whole condo is air tight (every gap caulked, sealed, outlet covers, etc) even front door is completely sealed (smoke tested)

I Have a concealed blower pumping air out of unit to outside 24hrs a day

Thanks Man, Totally Invaluable Info !!

12. #12 SkunkPatronus, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
    Widow. Widow anything. My like :D

Not man. Woman. Definitely all woman.

Negative pressure is a good thing. I do that. Keeps the place livable.

Check all the recipies in the organic section, mines in there among others. Expect some questions to pop up, few people over there subscribe to the bottled nute theory/bullshit. We 'make' dirt. Most of us are dirt farmers. We pound stuff up, scone it in, let it cook a while, pick ferns and stinging nettle and comfrey and start compost piles out back with it...or source good compost. My soil has been used for YEARS now. Just keeps getting better.

Flame defender is kinda cool, never seen one before, I just have a hand held. Will have to find one.

Get a Co2 detector too. Co2 does kill. Silently, painlessly, in your sleep. Co2 growing is technically working with a substance that could kill you faster than your dog, and yet...idiots.

13. Old Doobie, you will do well to listen to any advice from Ms Patronus - she is a highly skilled soil gardener. Take a look through her grow journal if you get the chance.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1003640-mommas-hobby.html

As far as her comments on organic gardening and constructing soil it would take a month or so to put it together and allow it time for the fertilizers to break down but lemme tell ya, you will never come up with a simpler setup that produces very high quality buds while at the same time gives you complete ease of use - once the soil is constructed you only need to keep it moist with de-chlorinated tap water; that's it. No worrying about checking and adjusting pH, no spending money on and mixing up chemical (or "organic") bottled fertilizers, no flushing, being able to re-use the organic soil over and over - just clean organic goodness. If you'd be interested get ahold of me and I could assist you. You wouldn't have time for your first order but if you plan on doing this for awhile it might be something to think about.

Best of luck with your new hobby.

J

14. SP, you sure you're not confusing carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide? I've never heard of anyone being overcome by CO2 and it's plentiful in the atmosphere. I'll second the recommendation on the organic soil - it's easy, pretty cheap, and the results are fantastic. Get it started today while you're waiting for your seeds.

15. WOW.... Bummer, I was really looking forward to it!!, So while this first batch grows I can get the soil ready for the next grow !! Got it!

Ok, so what "crappy" store bought stuff do I need to get this time??

And this is what I will have ( postal Gods willing [Smilie] )

5 seeds : Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze
    3 seeds : Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck
    5 seeds : Vision Seeds Northern Lights

Then I have 1 of each of the free seeds :

1 World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Skunk
    1 Positronics Seeds Amnesia Mystery
    1 Positronics Seeds Black Widow
    1 Humboldt Seed Organisation Trainwreck (so that makes a total of 4 counting the 3 above)

Are any of the free ones more of a Sativa high? What should I germinate ?

Thanks, when I get my pictures up here, it will be to the credit of this AWESOME Community !!

:gc_rocks:

16. I put my order in yesterday at 12:30. They sent me an email at 4:30 saying my package had been dispatched. I ended up with 12 free seeds. Can't put their service, reliability, or speed down whatsoever, and that was day one of the birthday bash.

17. I'd highly suggest doing some light reading first and then jump in to understand how organic soil works. Remember, youll be doing this for a long time, and it will pay to get it right the first time, especially since you can use your soil over and over again. Here are several threads to get you started -

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...door-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

These threads will get you started down the road to organic goodness. Keep me posted and if you like I will help with the soil construction.

A (very) quick rundown on how this works though, is that all nutrition is added to your soil in the form of dry organic soil amendments - such as kelp meal, alfalfa meal, neem meal, fish meal, etc. We add worm castings and/or compost to the mix. These two items contain soil microbes, ie: bacteria which break down the dry organic amendments into their elemental forms which can then be used as plant food - thus the waiting period, or "cooking" time, to give the microbes/bacteria a chance to start breaking down the organic matter into usable plant food.

This is VERY important - and so why using quality humus (castings/compost) is so very important. If you are going to think about doing this the most important two components are the castings and the compost, so you'll want to think about this long and hard - the ones you will find at the "Hydro Store" leave a lot to be desired. Depending on where you live I could perhaps help you find the good stuff so again, let me know if you want the help.

Quality humus will make or break an organic garden. Figure this out and the rest will fall into place.

J

18. I tried CO2 back in my younger days - I used tanks and a regulator connected to tubing draped just above my plants. I honestly don't know I was doing it correctly but didn't notice a big change in growth. Perhaps somebody who uses it regularly can comment - that was 20 years ago for me and I simply don't remember.

As far as CO2 being harmful I just did a quick Google search and this is what I came up with. I do not, however, remember what the PPM's of the grow room were at the time.
    http://www.analox.net/carbon-dioxide-dangers.php

Hope that helps. Again, it was 20 years ago so I can't comment too much. Fresh air works great for me these days.

J