(FIRST GROW) "707 Headband" Clones 400 Watt MH/HPS ScrOG

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by TheNaturalist, Feb 1, 2012.

1. #1 TheNaturalist, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Hey everyone :wave: after hanging out here in the grow forums for a few months iv put together my first grow! I have a Grow Lab 80 with a 400 watt MH/HPS cool tube and a fat ass 400 fps inline fan pulling air through a big oll carbon filter and then venting the light. I want to thank JakerJamin for helping me put together this design, here is the picture i created before starting it has all the equipment i used and pricing from the hydro source:

[​IMG]

And here is what it looked like after putting it all together and getting my clones in, pretty dead on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel pretty confident about the equipment, but now that i have my clones im kinda frantic. Iv only had them for about a hour but they feel like my children!!! haha when i got them they removed them from the tray they were in and put them in big red cups, then i got home and realized that i didnt have anything i could put them in that would hold them upright... :eek:

I saw the bottles in the recycle and figured they would work. The clones are rooted in little clayish dirt balls with the roots coming out all the sides. I took that little ball and wrapped them in wet paper towels to protect the roots from light/ cold glass and to keep them damp. I dont know if this was the best thing to do but it makes since in my head. Right now i have them under my 400 watt MH set for 24 hours a day, please let me know if im messing up bad. Heres some pics of the plants:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan is to get them each a 3 gallon pot with foxfarm organic soil and transfer them tomorrow, I want to get them out of the bottles ASAP. Im so excited for this grow i cant wait to see these little girls grow up into some big busty ladys over the next few months!!!

If anyone has advice about transfering them tomorrow or how high i should have the 400 watt MH bulb above them while they are little id love to hear!

Peace :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Very nice setup! Will follow!

Goodluck :smoke:

3. Thanks Jtex! Im really excited about this grow, i just hope i dont mess it up! Ill be updating very regularly to keep in touch with my fellow blades

4. Their first night was terrible! The exhaust ducting that blows out the top fell so that it was blowing right on the plants! Then instead of circulating air through the box and cooling the light, my system was just blowing air through the cool tube (which became quite hot) and then blasting the hot air onto my plants, only to reuse the same air again to try and cool the light and then blast it onto the plants again :(

I took the clones and put them both into a cup with some fresh water for them to soak up and put the cup outside, i hope they make it.... Heres how they look:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Did you set it up wrong? or was it just a malfunction with the system?

It looked pretty well setup and sturdy to me.

6. Well the tent has a 4 inch vent hole in the top with no way to attach ducting to it. My ducting is 6 inches so i got a 6 to 4 inch piece and put it on the end, that fits snugly into the vent but there is nothing to hold it in place. So what i did is i got one of my friends to hold it in the exhaust hole from inside the tent and then i reached in from above and ductaped (sp) it into place. This morning when i woke up the ductape was still attached to the end of my ducting but had come loose where i attached it to the tent. Now i dont know how to get it to stay in place though. I coult try taping it waaaaay better, but that kinda scares me after this.... idk what to do

7. This evening after classes I went to the hydro store and got two 1 gallon buckets and two 3 gallon buckets as well as a big bad of fox farm ocean whatever and some ferts. The Raskals were also looking pretty terrible so I picked myself up 2 new clones, 707 Headband! Thats my favorite strain so it actually worked out for the better i guess besides the $20 i lost on the first two clones.

I potted the headbands in the 1 gallon pots and the raskals in some red cups (maybe they will rebound), watered them real good and put them back under the lights on a 4/20 cycle. Lets hope i dont kill another pair of clones again tonight ...

Here they are:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. I don't see it, but you also need a circulating fan blowing air on your plants to simulate wind...

9. Oh yeah iv got a little fan clipped to the back right corner of the tent, in the picture its hiddin behind the ducting coming out of the cool tube. All you can see in the picture actually is a little white power cord going back there haha. Its at a kinda funny angle blowing down and across the plants so that it doesnt make them move around too much. Also, that 400 CFM fan is way powerful for that little tent so it keeps the air moving so it creates a little breeze coming in through the air intakes around the bottom edges. Thanks for the input I need people watchin out for stuff like that thanks for speaking up.

10. Do u got a mom your trying to clone?

11. Setup looks good!! You went out and got a great setup... good fan, air cooled reflector, carbon filter.... That's a great first step. I've developed a passion for growing, so my best advice to you is to learn by researching, then eventually put what you learn into practice. I have a couple Jorge Cervantes books and an Ed Rosenthal book... Great stuff. I consult the book often and casually read it just to establish a foundation of knowledge.

I've spent countless hours checking out journals, watching videos and searching any grow related idea or question I may have. Grass City, in my opinion, has the best boards for growing... Good feeling of community here, as well as a wealth of amazing growers who are willing to share their knowledge.

I would suggest on your exhaust vent, you could fasten safety pins to the fabric, or buy a small section of 4" flex duct, attach it the 6" to 4" reducer, then run that section across the top of your tent and down. Just come up with some good old stoner ingenuity and you'll be straight.

Also, it seems like you do, but get your clones from a trusted source. I've yet to encounter the problem, but you could bring unwanted guests into your tent.

When it comes to nutes, I've had success with a "less is more" philosophy... I generally water every 2-3 days as needed, and give nutes after every 2 waterings. Unless, of course, I need to take corrective action to revive a plant.

I'm subbed homie, I'll be along for the ride. Good luck!! :smoke:

12. [quote name='"djmaya420"']Do u got a mom your trying to clone?[/quote]

No I just picked up these clones from the dispensary I don't know how to clone a plant myself.... Yet. Definitely something I'd like to learn when I get some room for a mother. They all had great roots when I got them, thats what i was lookin for when i picked them out. think they still need to be under a dome? There is a lot of airflow through that tent so if they still need extra humidity I don't think they are getting it. Thanks!

[quote name='"maxwage"']Setup looks good!! You went out and got a great setup... good fan, air cooled reflector, carbon filter.... That's a great first step. I've developed a passion for growing, so my best advice to you is to learn by researching, then eventually put what you learn into practice. I have a couple Jorge Cervantes books and an Ed Rosenthal book... Great stuff. I consult the book often and casually read it just to establish a foundation of knowledge.

I've spent countless hours checking out journals, watching videos and searching any grow related idea or question I may have. Grass City, in my opinion, has the best boards for growing... Good feeling of community here, as well as a wealth of amazing growers who are willing to share their knowledge.

I would suggest on your exhaust vent, you could fasten safety pins to the fabric, or buy a small section of 4" flex duct, attach it the 6" to 4" reducer, then run that section across the top of your tent and down. Just come up with some good old stoner ingenuity and you'll be straight.

Also, it seems like you do, but get your clones from a trusted source. I've yet to encounter the problem, but you could bring unwanted guests into your tent.

When it comes to nutes, I've had success with a "less is more" philosophy... I generally water every 2-3 days as needed, and give nutes after every 2 waterings. Unless, of course, I need to take corrective action to revive a plant.

I'm subbed homie, I'll be along for the ride. Good luck!! :smoke:[/quote]

Yeah I this is my first grow but I am really excited about it and its definitely something I want to advance in so I just splurged and got a complete system, I figure this is a hobby that ill make my money back in eventually anyways right? As far as books so far I just have a e version of the Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green, its like 500 pages so im still working on it but that and from blades like you here in the good old Grass City cultivation forum is where iv learned everything so far. Theres a store with a big cannabis book section here in SD called The Black ill take a look for books by Jorge Cervantes books and Ed Rosenthal.

Right now I have the exhaust rigged up with about 100 x as much duct tape as before and its holding but it scares me because of that last incident, I like your idea about the safety pins through the fabric because thats where it gave last time.

I ended up getting my clones from two different clubs since i got the last two from the first club i went to. The second place was kinda sketch honestly but i didn't have much of a choice, I really think it was the only place in SD selling clones since all the dispensaries got shut down over the last two months. I also made a noob mistake and put my Raskals outside for the day after i almost killed them until I fixed my grow tent and then i put them back in with my new Headband clones, didnt realized what i did till it was too late. But iv been watching them really close just keepin my fingers crossed my grow isnt contaminated, so far so good though.

I watered them all good right after potting them the day before yesterday (wednesday), the soil is starting to dry out on the surface but is still moist directly beneath the top layer. Im thinking Ill water again tomorrow (Saturday) but ill have to wait and see. When do you start using nutes on your plants?

djmaya420, maxwage, thanks for stopping by to give me advice I really appreciate it! Smoke up :smoking:

13. No dome if they got roots sorry about that. It depends on a lot of things but I give my clones food as soon as I can like in the first week after rooting. Put them in soil and use some grow food on em at like half strength. If they are still yellowing give em 3/4 strength food untill they get big. Hope this helps u

14. Ok cool thats what i thought, my bad though i forgot to mention they were already rooted. My next water is planned tomorrow so ill mix up a real weak batch of nutes to start them off on.

15. Hey Natural,

Good looking grow man, As for baby plants and nutes, FFOF soil is PACKED with nutes and should support them for at minimum 3 weeks if not more, any more food is a waste and will mostly turn to salts and fuck up your soil balance, just us a bit of superthrive a bit of micro organisms and some molasses (bout 1tsp per gallon of water, heat the water up to boiling to bring the molasses into complete suspension before adding it to your other nutes, i do this in a measuring cup or other microwave safe container)
    Doing this ensures that your babys will have great access to nutrients already provided in your soil and it also ensures your wont be wasting your time or money. keep up the good work :)

16. Ok thanks Weedmasta, yeah i keep reading this FFOF is good stuff. I got a big bag of it for only $14 on sale at the hydro store i was pretty stoked, i guess thats where i should go for the super thrive and micro organisms also? Do you do the thrive, organisms, and molasses every watering or every other watering like with nutes? or is it just a one time thing to get my plant able to start absorbing the nutes?

Thanks for stopping by to give me some advice on my grow i appreciate it!

17. I would do that regimen every 3 days for the first week, then stop the micro and double the molasses for the second week, by week 3 start your nutes at 1/4 or 1/2 bottle strength, at week 4 go up 1/4 food, and on week five go full strength, Do a feed-water-water schedule, after week 5 reduce the thrive to 1 time a month, but keep molasses at 1/2 tablespoons per gallon for the full grow.
    If you are using organic nutes repopulate your micros every month, if you are useing synthetics then you can stop micros after 5 weeks.

18. Dig your setup! I was going to do the same filter to cooltube setup you have, but decided to isolate the cooltube air from the main chamber in case I went co2 enriched.

19. Thanks for the regimen Weedmasta im gonna pick up that stuff tomorrow before I water hopefully it will give my plants that extra boost to produce those dank buds im craving!

And thats a good point Chiroman i didn't even think of that. Im already way over budget on this grow so a CO2 tank is out of the picture for now but it would be cool to have the option. I was thinkin of tossing like a quarter pound of dry ice in there daily as a way to supplement with CO2 over the course of the day without turning the fan off but i havnt really made any moves on the idea yet... does anyone know if that would pay off? i figure it would cost about $0.30 for a quarter pound of CO2 a day

Update on the plants:
    The 707 Headbands are doing awesome, no news there. When the Raskal's OG clones got toasted their first night all of the leaves that they had were killed, they got hard and would crunch at touch. Luckily, one of them has had new growth on all of its nodes in the last few days. So today I trimmed the completely dead leaves off both plants so that they wouldn't waste energy on them. Here's the before and after pics, I think that one is going to flourish and the other will need to be cood but im leaving them both in for now

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: