240w LED Sour Grape Haze Summer Fun!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by H8tter, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hey GC, things are warming up where i live and a HPS/DWC setup just won't cut it. I've always liked the idea of LED growing and now that the technology has had some time to mature, i just purchased a 240watt Dr. Growrite LED unit from ebay.

URL: 240W 4band 3watt chipset professional LED grow light #1 | eBay

Having virtually no experience with LED growing or using soil, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and issues arise. How many plants should i attempt to grow? 2? 4? i have 9 plants vegging that are in 4"x4" rockwool cubes and about a foot tall. I also have about 12 clones, 2 weeks in, showing new root growth. The grow area is about 4'x4', is that too big for 1 240w LED?

I have a week left on my current grow then i want to get the new plants and light in the next day.

2. I would add more light in there if i had a 4x4 space prolly 2 of those lights would be good.
    Why are you switching to soil for your led grow?

3. #3 H8tter, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
    Well, during the summers, in the upstairs rooms, the temperatures can be brutal. the AC is expensive to run and doesn't really work that well in my area. Perhaps with the LED lighting, temp will stay low enough to run the hydro effectively, i just figured that dirt would be easier. $$ is also an issue so i most likely will be using the single unit. I have a 2x54w 4' t5 light i can add later, but i just may go hydro setup with the LED light/t5.

4. just subbed in. i was lookin at that drgrowritepanel

Couple questions, Is it preforming well and what is sorta usuable light foot print? Appreciate your thoughts; thank you.

5. Sure thing bro, i'm kinda excited about this, even though i think i'll producea lesser yield of lower quality bud, i want to see how LED's compare to HPS. I think i will use the hydro for a more apples to apples comparison.

Cleaning is going really slow. I don't think i'll have the light up and plants in there until thursday or friday. The good news in my mothers are large and will cut me some veg time.

Attached Files:

6. subbed for sure. i'm very curious to see what you've got going on.

7. I think there's a few of us waiting impatiently. ;)

8. Don't think i've forgotten about everyone :) I just hung the light and i'm going fill the res with nutrients, get that all gong and then pick 4 of the best mothers i have. Should be going full speed tomorrow for sure.

DSC02577.JPG

Attached Files:

9. #9 H8tter, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    I worked tirelessly all morning to finish cleaning and setting everything up. Temperature differences is amazing! I have no idea have old these plants are, but if i had to guess about two months old since they were little clones. Been in my CFL veg box a bit too long; the plants were growing into the lights and bring the tips of the leaves.

Video: http://s510.photobucket.com/albums/s350/H8tter/?action=view&current=MOV02587.mp4

DSC02578.JPG

DSC02579.JPG

DSC02580.JPG

DSC02581.JPG

DSC02582.JPG
    The fans are a little loud, but overall very ignorable.
    DSC02583.JPG
    Day 1 - 850ppm veg formula - 73F Chamber Temp - rH 40%

10. Lookin good, i noticed that you are a fellow old spice man

Hows the heat coming off your DrGro?

11. subbed.. im interested in led. yours is 240w, which is equivalent to ?? I was looking at [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UDD3TS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2U8AK7GSKTE5T]Amazon.com: Mega Power 600 Watt LED Grow Light: Kitchen & Dining[/ame] it's 600w equivalent to 1200w, i think. please explain someone.

12. LED's are currently 1/3 third as efficient at creating light as HPS. Plants however only need certain frequencies of light. 90% of the light a HPS bulb makes is not used by the plant. Even though the LED lights are only 33% as efficient at making light as the HPS, the light it does make is all usable to the plant, making it the equivalent of a HPS bulb with nine times the light output (3 times the wattage). This of course is in theory, and we're still figuring out some of the details.

13. interesting. what do you think of the light I linked above?

14. If it uses 1watt diodes, i wouldn't recommend getting it.

15. I wouldnt go with that one either. I would look into the lighthouse 600W led its at gothamhydroponics.com. From what i have re-searched you wanna get one that has a cree light.

16. I have smoked Sour Grape Haze. It is a great strain. Really strong, and very sour tasting.

Im interested in how well that single LED system will work. Because i may wanna go LED instead of CFL. Im watching.

17. I think you should stay away from that light. I count 16 by 9 rows of LED's. Multiply those together and divide by 600 watts and each LED is 6.25 watts. They don't make mass production LED's of that rating, the 3Watts LED's are the brightest that are still cheap to use. Odds are they are using 3Watt LED's and magically doubling their output rating, which means that this is really a 300Watt light. This LED has more frequency bands than the Dr Growrite, including Infared. Plants don't use Infared (that's what we think right now) however I was just told yesterday that it was important and helps a lot with pest and fungus control.

18. Thanks Corwin. If you don't mind, another question.. this one seems more legit, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I counted 12 x 23, which is almost 3000 LEDs.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B4QWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AMDIWQPEHRFRE]Amazon.com: Pro Series Full Spectrum 300 Watt 300W LED Quad Band Hydroponic Grow Light Replacement for 1000 Watt HPS by LEDwholesalers, 2511RBOW: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

OR what do you guys recommend that isn't going to break the bank?

19. I count 12 x 24 which equals 288 LED's. It would make sense that their 300Watt is pretty accurate and they are using 1W LED's. You want a panel with 3Watt LED's, so do not buy this. I've been researching this topic a bit and am between buying some of the Dr Growrite panels or making my own.

20. If anyone has any documentation or comments regarding the frequency's of light, please chip in your thoughts. The Dr Growright does not include Infrared. How much does infrared help with preventing bugs and fungus? Does the infrared itself help or hurt plant growth?