3oz Container Grows

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MX Grower, Feb 12, 2011.

1. :wave: Join in!!! Post your 3oz container grow updates here! Or just post comments.

The only rule for plants in this thread is that the roots are restricted to a 3 ounce volume for the life of the plant. Indoor, outdoor, soil, soilless, hydro, any lighting, anything goes!

Note: This thread has no host (unless someone wants to volunteer). I'm just the tool that started it! :p Yeh, I'm a committment fearing stoner just like just about everybody else around here! :D

Alright, fellow 3oz growers! Let's see some activity here!

2. So here's the first real post in this unofficial 3oz growers thread. I didn't want to interject my personal stuff into that initial post. :)

Me, I'm going to grow a G13 Pineapple Express clone organically in soil under a CFL. It's in the cloner now, along with 2 backups and 6 other cuttings for other purposes. No pics to post yet.

BUT ... I have some pics of my 3oz contest entry that I can post! This was a Nirvana Super Skunk harvested in November.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harvest day:
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to my final update post in that contest.

3. Count me IN. Get some stuff organized and Ill be back:wave:

4. I've shut down my cloner, but I've got a couple seedlings I could pot down. I'll have to start that this week.

5. My PE cutting in the clone bucket has tiny roots this morning!!! Yay! :hello:

It will get planted tonight or tomorrow.

o:Do

6. I'm in...be back with pics as soon as I get it started. :hello:

7. Can anyone tell a fell if during the 3oz grow.. am I able to grow said 3ozer in a 3oz container with plants rootball in soil contained within it, only have the 3oz container w/ holes all over (similar to a net-pot) and allow the roots to escape into a larger container filled w/ soil. and continue to trim escaping roots once a week for pics (before & after) then replace into larger pot? Sorry so lengthhy, I actually dreamed this up last night[​IMG]

8. im in. But ill have to start next month when i start my next grow.

Evil :smoke:

9. Im not in, but ill watch....

10. No rules this time so to me that seems like it would be a good plan. The hydro peeps last time just had to trim off the roots too so seems like the same thing.

11. Sounds good to me too, and since there's nobody around here in a position to say "no", you're good to go Dusty! :D Worried At all about the daily stress of root removal?

Hi Mrs.ED! :wave: Glad to see ya here. I was gonna PM you if you didn't show up soon!

Hey EvilHoodlem! Anytime is fine. This is a forever thread. :p So can you tell us what strain you're going to grow in your 3oz pot? Soil, hydro?

OGM. I'm beginning to sound like a thread host!

Might have pics later. Going down to check on progress now... :bolt:

12. My Pineapple Express clone had plenty of roots tonight! :p

[​IMG]

Happy in soil! Her name is PE11.

[​IMG]

It's on! :)

:smoke:

Attached Files:

13. Thanks Mrs, and MX, I thought it sounded a bit like the POG that BadKittySmiles grew in the fishtank, it was a weird dream. Im a little concerned about the stress but what do ya do?, Im still going to try it:D I dont have a girl ready yet but soon:smoke:

14. I may or may not be in, but I'm interested in the thread so I'm definitely willing to hangout and watch.. :smoke:

15. 2 Mustard clones went into the dome last night, best one is the 3 zipper:hello:

16. MX update!

My Pineapple Express clone hasn't changed much in appearance, but obviously her roots are spreading out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still looking good so far. :)

I think we may need to go out and try to recruit some more growers to this thread!

:wave:

Attached Files:

17. I've said it before... I'll say it again...

I think its hard to get growers to put an effort into something that has no real benefit except prestige. You're asking people to spend 3 months growing a plant that will be lucky to give you a gram of weed.

I love watching this stuff, but have absolutely no desire to try it myself.

I think there would be a much larger following if you were attempting a 1 gallon grow off, or something that could potentially give the grower some yield.

just my two pennies. :D

18. Im still down to give the 3 zipper a try, but Grower has a good point and Id also be down to try and employ my method on a 1 gal girl, probably not until Im done with the 3 zipper of course:D

19. It ain't for prestige GB! Personally, I like the way these things brings growers together. Like a way to make friends with people that have similar drives and interests. Then there's the challenge of it and the fun of sharing the experience and seeing how others deal with their issues.

There can be a definite benefit for nooby-ish organic growers. The 3oz organic grow is like a condensed learning experience. The soil is empty after a month or so, and then it's all you and what you give her. You start to learn what works well for what defs. and what doesn't, how long some things take to kick in, how long they last, and shit like that. It's not like I documented that stuff - it just kinda helps you hone your gut instincts.

Why not just give it a shot? Get some spare seed, pop it directly in the soil in a 3oz cup and stick it under a full-time CFL somewhere out of the way. Just keep it watered, give it a few weeks, and see if the fun don't grab ya. :)

:smoke:

20. #20 handaman, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    A 1-gallon competition kind of defeats the purpose. The whole point of the 3-oz competition is that it's challenging. I've never even grown a plant in a full gallon of soil, but the biggest plants I've grown just kind of took care of themselves. It takes the excitement out of it.

EDIT: Oh, MX already did a pretty good job of covering that one.