The Official 3oz Competition starting 8/20/2010

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by NOVA, Aug 19, 2010.

1. #1 NOVA, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
    Welcome one and all to the GrassCity 3oz. Challange - 2010!

The challange is to grow a marijuana plant from clone/seed to full flowering maturity, with the
    entire root system contained within a 3oz. container.

We ask that you only post each weekly update/submission. If you want to make comments about someones submission or post more pics throughout the week of your plant(s) you can do some in this chit chat thread. If people fail to heed this request I will have all posts deleted that are not submissions. You can multi-quote something here then have it quoted in the chit chat thread (link under text box) when you post a reply in there.

Thank you,

The only GC members that are not welcome to compete are our gracious volunteers; our distinguished panel of judges:

Judges
    • doinYODA
    • Russy
    • ArsenalOfCronic
    • sUpA nOvA D9
    • PhillyBlunts33
    • White_Widow_Man
    • StonerWulf
    • the imitator
    • DiAmOnD RaStA

Please study these rules carefully. Failing to comply with any rule may result in disqualification by a popular judges vote.

3oz Challenge Official Rules.

First, a short preamble;

The object of this challenge is to bring the members of GrassCity together in the spirit of
    friendly competition. If the game strays from this spirit, a judges vote, or a request from the GC staff can disqualify any contestant for any reason that they see fit, or bring the competition to an end. Because of the creative nature of this competition, there will be some unforeseen circumstances in which the rules may not advise on. In the event of these circumstances, the judges will vote on the proper course of action to take.

1. The root system of competing plants must be contained in a 3 US fluid ounce (88.72 ml) container.

• A) If any roots exist outside of the 3 oz. container, they must be cut.
    • B) Root systems may be removed from the 3 oz. container for trimming, soil replacement or any other root system modification modification, as long as the roots are returned to and confined in the 3 oz. container to continue it's growth.
    • C) External watering systems and reservoirs are allowed, but are limited to 1 Gallon in size.

2. Each contestant may choose one seed, and one clone to enter.

• A) No clones may be cut, and no seeds may be germinated until the contest start date (8/1/2010).
    • B) Several seedlings and cuttings may be started in cloning/germinating mediums, but only a single seed and a single clone may be chosen to compete. The competing plant(s) must be transplanted to the 3oz container as soon as roots are present.
    • C) The cutoff date for choosing the actual plant(s) that will be entered to compete will be 8/20/10
    • D) Any cannabis plant is allowed, including plants with sativa, indica, and/or ruderalis genetics.
    • E) Clone size is unlimited.

3. The competition will begin on 8/1/2010 and end on 11/13/2010 (17 weeks)

• A) Competition end will be the mandatory harvest date
    • B) There will be no penalty for early harvests.

4. No lighting restrictions

• A) No light schedule restrictions
    • B) No light intensity restrictions
    • C) HPS, MH, CMH, CFL, LED, UVB, Plasma, the Sun, even candle light. Anything goes.

5. Pictures are mandatory.

• A) Updated pictures of your plant in it's 3 oz. container, with a Metric or standard English ruler must be submitted in the competition thread weekly.
    • B) Pictures must clearly show the plant in it's container. Blurry pictures or pictures that look suspicious will be rejected.
    • C) Pictures must be posted once every week. Weeks begin on sunday at 12:00AM GMT and end saturday at 11:59PM GMT.
    • D) Official Pictures must be at least 5 days apart, but can be posted at any time during each week.
    • E) Extenuating circumstances may be grounds for picture delay without disqualification, but must pass a judges consensus for the validity of the claim before the week's end.

Competing Growers
    • Unclenugs
    • freedom4ever
    • MX Grower
    • Mechanibus
    • jbyrd
    • caesar5000
    • BUDSLiNGER
    • BadKittySmiles
    It is every ones individual responsibility to have your official choice of (1) seed and/or (1) cloned plant to be used through the entire comp with no changes to be made. All members have until 11:59:59 EST on August 20th, 2010 to post their official submission post in here. If you miss the deadline and have a legitimate reason please PM me directly and I'll put it up for vote in the judges booth to be voted if you will be allowed to continue officially in the competition. Please note which submission is seed and which is clone because they are two different classes to this grow.

On a side note; anyone that is doing this un-officially please only post in the chit chat thread.

Thank you and we are all looking forward to see what you Mad Scientists pull out of your hats ;)

2. Allright, GC Judges, official and otherwise:

Be it known that this plant is my one official entry into the 3oz. Competion.

Stonerwulf gave me the go ahead so this is what I made:
    [​IMG]

I couldn't find the statistics form but it looks like people abandoned it so here goes, freestyle:

My entry is a one-gallon, hooded-interface paludarium, stocked with 2 major species. The major flora is a cloned specimen of the Cannabis indica/sativa hybrid "DJ Shorts Blueberry." The major fauna is a specimen of the Northern Crayfish, Orconectes virilis, pictured below.
    [​IMG]

These combine to form an aquaponic system that I hope will achieve balance by feeding the plant off of the biological resources of the tank, while allowing the crayfish to supplement its diet by consuming the roots that escape the plastic cage.
    [​IMG]

C-Diddy stands ready to defend my root pruning honor. . . His claws are on fire. . .
    [​IMG]

Anyway I hope this means I'm officially in-

I have a much more detailed post about this setup here if you are interested.

Good luck all, Hope you like my crazy (ExperiMental) setup!

3. #3 caesar5000, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
    Alright, GC Judges, official and competitors

Be it known that this clone is my one official entry into the 3oz. Completion.

Strain - big bud X hash plant

medium - clay pellets

nutrients - GH Lucas Formula 8 - 16

light - 1000 watt HPS

flowering time - 6 to 7 weeks

sorry for not paying attention

this one 004.JPG

Attached Files:

4. MX Grower - 3oz challenge entries

Both are Nirvana Super Skunk.
    Seedling on left, cloneling on right.
    Organic soil mix, no nutes yet (open to suggestions on that!)
    T-12s & CFLs for veg, MH-400 Eye Blue for 12/12.
    Flowering: 55-65 days

[​IMG]

Nobody seems to be taking the ruler rule seriously. I think we need a ruling on the ruler rule! :p

[​IMG]

o:Do

Attached Files:

5. MrsEd's Entry ;)

Bridget the Midget - Bridget Powers with her bling on
    Medium: Straight coco coir in custom smart pot

Nutes: Alternating Fox Farm and CNS17, leftovers from others to this point
    Lights: T5 for veg, 600 HPS for flowering starting 8/20/2010
    From seed - DNA Genetics Rocklock

[​IMG]

6. My official entries for both the clone and seedling, both in a one gallon res at the moment but I'll likely upgrade them to individual gallons as the challenge progresses :)

[​IMG]

Currently, the plants roots are seated in the original 3oz cups, and they are feeding off waste produced by a chinese algae eater and a betta, over the course of the next few weeks (as they were in the previous) they will also be fed from 'fancy guppies', and 'red wag' and 'sunburst' platies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Official Seed
    • Double Diesel
    • 1 part FFOF, 1 part jiffy seed starting mix.

[​IMG]

Official Clone
    • Nirvana's White Widow
    • No nutrients yet

[​IMG]

8. Here's my official entry:

Bubba Kush Clone - Coco in a 3oz Clay pot.

3ozCLone.jpg

3ozContain.jpg

3ozEntry.jpg

9. #9 Freedom, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
    Hi judges and fellow competitors :wave:

This be my submission for the 3oz challenge, aaaaaarrrrrrrgh. :poke: :hello:

I am using felineponics as you can see. Lionhead (The cat) will stay in the box for the duration of the plant's life. As you can see, he has already adapted to his new surroundings well, he has toys in there and is regularly fed nutes in the shape of tuna flavoured snackettes.
    I am relying on Lionhead to chew off any roots that escape from the 3oz pot, which neatly slots into the top of his box.

DSCF0335.JPG

DSCF0336.JPG

DSCF0337.JPG

If the cat does not perform, he will be removed and replaced with a horse, Ponyponics. :wave:

10. Mech, you amaze my small minded dome brotha ;) Nice stuff to you and everyone else, should be a good time :)

So I hate to do this but..........I have only this one to enter and its a bit droopy....okay maybe more than droopy, lol, but I went on a 4 day vacation and these 3oz girls seem to need daily waterings so she was neglected :eek:

but I gotta enter something in this :metal:...so here she is :eek:
    From seed - Double Diesel X White Russian...still green:eek:;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. High All....
    Heres me rig:eek:....i havent gotten her all done but she is running...
    My 3 oz medicine bottle with a neoprene disc, I have the water being airfeed with bubbles thru the bottom with a drain hole on the upper side,so it goes back in the tub,
    My Choice....Biggie smalls..confirmed female..:D:p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. #12 NOVA, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
    Posted here for odie2190...

Attached Files:

13. Here is my latest pic

[​IMG]

In its natural environment lol. It'll go in the closet with my new crop in a couple days

[​IMG]

14. Ok, before I shoot off to w**k, here's my submission and update for this week. :poke:

I had a little accident in the rig. :( Two nights ago a spilt some water on Lionhead after midnight and this is the result:

DSCF0348.JPG

So I now have two mutha fukkin cats in the res. :mad: It's kinda hard to see them in this pic, on account of there being not enough room for two cats. :p They are in the corner munching on tuna flavoured nutes. :hello:

I might get a dog, to eat one of the cats. Then I will get a cow to eat the dog. :smoking:

As for V the seedling, she's a happy camper. :cool:

DSCF0350.JPG

PUSSY POWER! :metal:

15. My update,....
    Do to the late cut still prety boring but def showing life...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the kittahs free:D.....
    ive decided to put sea mokeys in mine....:hello::hello::p...lol....JK

Attached Files:

16. i don't have anything cool or funny to show everyone so here is my update 1 photos for the guidelines of the comp and a shot of my lady with her big sister

comp #2 013.JPG

comp #2 032.JPG

17. My update... the seedling, the clone, both root systems contained, and the res.

[​IMG]

I haven't supplemented their feed yet, they've had nothing but fish waste.

[​IMG]

Working on its fifth & sixth nodes, you can see the path to a healthier pH by following
    the leaves upward, the lower sets experienced the highest ph and still have the most
    'curl'.

[​IMG]

The clone went deeper into bloom before it revegged, but we're finally seeing some vegetative
    growth on her. Taken at 50+ days bloom, that's a quicker turnaround than I expected.

[​IMG]

A bit of aquarium Xmas moss managed to get into the roots near the top. I'm pleased with
    the amount of build up I'm seeing on about a quarter to a third of each root system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. #18 MX Grower, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
    MX Grower - Weekly Update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seedling on left, cloneling on right.

o:Do

Attached Files:

19. update
    Soil is fox farm. Also im using cfls about 6 23 watt cfls.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      94.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Here is my update for this week. The Blueberry is still a little yellow yet it slowly but surely gets larger.
    [​IMG]

Every day I pull the collar out of the syringe, drawing the new root tips back into the cage. Once it fills to the point where this is no longer practicable, I'll have to go to trimming.
    [​IMG]

Two major additions have been made to the res/tank. One is a second syringe tube filter, to keep the water clear and promote good bacteria. It is the part with the gravel in the bottom and the green filter pad, half of the air from my little pump goes to it, half to the root tube. The other addition is the chiller coil. I can't run the chilled nute solution in this tank, but I can run it through a coil in this tank. This keeps it 75f instead of 82f or hotter. The same little outlet on my big pump that ran the cloner runs this chiller coil.
    [​IMG]

Good luck folks, and props to those still in it!