slocal's CFL/150w HPS Closet Blue Mystic Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by slocal, Jul 14, 2010.

1. #1 slocal, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
    Well, I'm starting this journal a bit late in the grow. I hope you all forgive me. I will update frequently from now on. You guys get on my ass if I don't keep my word. This first grow is Nirvana's Blue Mystic. I'm lucky in the fact that this plant seems to have the blue pheno showing in the early leaf stages!

6/11/2010 – seed begins germination using paper towel method.

6/12/2010 – seed planted in fox farms organic soil.

6/15/2010 Day 1 – seedling has broken the surface!

6/17/2010 Day 3 – seedling has lost seed casing and has expanded.

[​IMG]

6/20/2010 Day 6
    – seedling is has grown and now has two large leaves and two smaller ones growing from the node. Lighting switched to 20/4.

[​IMG]

6/21/2010 Day 7– seedling has been transplanted in to final grow pot. Perlite added in a small layer at the bottom. FFOF soil used. Plant watered thoroughly.

6/23/2010 Day 9 – seedling is doing well in new pot. No signs of shock ever occurred.

[​IMG]

6/25/2010 Day 11 – Third set of leaves have appeared. Temps dropped down now to 75 F during light cycle.

[​IMG]

6/26/2010 Day 12 – Introduced Grow Big at 1/2tsp per 32oz. Some got on leaves and was quickly rinsed off with RO/DI.

[​IMG]

7/1/2010 Day 17 – Topped plant after the 4th leaf set.

7/2/2010 Day 18
    – Plant is now getting both Grow Big and Big Bloom. I am not measuring the amounts, but I am being a bit stingy with the nutrients. I am also using 6 6500k CFLs.

7/6/2010 Day 22 – Lamps have fallen twice on plant. Had to top a second time since there was growth out of the original topping site. Plant is doing well despite a few light-burn spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7/9/2010 Day 25
    – The first attempt at topping was done incorrectly. I accidentally cut not only the stem, but the two nodes that would have formed the new stems. I have removed the top leaf set and now the 2nd and 3rd sets are growing as mains.

7/12/2010 Day 28 – New fan added. This is a small oscillating fan with two speeds. Currently set to low. I have also performed a 4-way LST using anchor pins to hold the stems down.

2. #2 slocal, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
    7/13/2010 Day 29 - Added more lights including 2 2700k lights for a fuller spectrum. I know I need to get the cords all sorted out, but the plant is small enough right now where they're not a problem.

The grow closet

[​IMG]

120 CFM exhaust fan.

[​IMG]

120 CFM intake fan.

[​IMG]

Blue Mystic aka Vicki "The Small Wonder"

[​IMG]

3. Looking good bro I'm subbed. Where did you get the mylar for the walls n floor I cant seem to find any of it locally. It kinda looks familiar but I cant place it.

4. Looking good man. I can't wait till you start flowering so I can see the bud. I was going to grow Blue Mystic but went with Chrystal instead. Maybe I'll try it next grow if yours turns out good.

5. Thanks for stopping by fellas!

218budfan: I bought this at Home Depot. It's bubble wrap, wrapped in mylar. It should be in the insulation section at most hardwar stores. It's pretty cheap too!

BAGZ: I'll be following your grow, because I've looked at Chrystal and Blackberry. I can't wait to flower either! I'm thinking of letting it go another two weeks. I'll be LSTing and topping it regularly till it covers the soil area in the pot.

6. ok lol I'm out the door to find it thanks

7. What a healthy beautiful plant man. I will be checking this one out. Your cab looks awesome to. :hello:

8. Coming from a guy that produces the beauties I've drooled over, that means a ton. Thanks spook :)

9. 7/14/2010 Day 30 - Topped Vicky again. I removed every third leaf set by a slight pinch and twist. She's responding well so far to topping and LSTing. I can't decide whether I want to crop or not. I might when she's recovered from this last topping.

[​IMG]

10. Maybe cutting off those shoots wasn't such a bad thing. You are going to have a awesome little bush. It's the same size as the one of the cfl bulbs easy. :metal:

11. Yeah brah, I'm seeing it as a blessing in disguise too. I can't believe I've avoided growing for so long. It's crazy how much the yields can change even on the same strain depending on the minute details. I think I'm finding most fun in learning how to trick mother nature in to giving me more of what I want :devious:

12. Looks like there are 6 shoots sticking up there and it's only a few inches high I love it.

13. lookin good. i'll be interested in seing this one turn out.

14. Cool to see you growin bro! :) -subd

Personally, I'd let it grow a little more before topping again, or else in flower you might have too many tops and have little weak ones, ya know? Unless you plan to throw a screen in there??

Lookin lush man

15. Good point that I haven't considered. I don't want my greed for weed to kill the yield. Perhaps I'll wait at least a week and a half before topping again. I'm planning on a 45 day veg and I'm on day 31 so I should be able to squeeze one more topping before I hit the switch.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for subbing :D

16. No problem man...

I trained the shit out of a few of my plants, they were little bushes literally and around the 3rd week of flower I had to cut off like 6 branches because they were thin and weak and I knew they wouldnt do anything if I left them...

Ive made tons of mistakes man, just tryna help others ;) To learn more of my mistakes, check my grow lol

17. Did you have a fan on them constantly? I have a 8in oscillating fan that's blowing during the light cycle. Ever branch so far is pretty sturdy and thick, even when it's thirsty. Good news is that I'm not planning to train the plant any more than the 4-way that was done already. My fingers are definitely crossed now.

Heading over to your journal after this button push :cool:

18. At the time before I cut, there was a fan blowing on em, but really there were too many tops and not enough light... I started out by training a little, and then topping, letting it grow 2-3 weeks, then topping again... ended up being a dense dense bush

So training made like 5-6 top sites, after cutting... then had 10-12... and THEN had 20-24 tops... All those in a 1gal container, lol was rediculous.. maybe if it were a 5gal container and I had a 400w hps just for that it'd work...

Hope that makes sense lol kinda baked

19. Makes total sense. The plant is in a 4 gallon container right now. Hopefully I'll be able to get light to the sides of the plant with my lighting set up. All of the lights can be adjusted to any height and can be moved laterally as well. My main concern when fitting my closet was to keep the lights as mobile as possible. Damn, I gotta be careful about not topping too much.

20. I wouldn't even top anymore how many shoots do you have sticking up I tried to count them and guesstimated like 6. That should be enough. If you want to expose more bud sites let those shoots get a bit taller then crop. Do it in a circular patten away from one another. You want to do that before you water when the soil is at it's driest. And you get a little height out of them. That way they don't snap when you bend them down. You could essentially just make her grow real flat. You would have a circle of buds. Then you could get your lights down real close and not really have to worry about side lighting. I think it would look awesome. It would look like a bud pizza from the top view I bet in the end. If you have super thrive add a little after you crop to help her deal with any stress. With in hours the tips will turn toward the light and all the bud sites underneath will be able to get light and will be fatter and more potent. Topping doesn't necessarily lend itself to a smaller yield but instead of getting one or 2 giant buds you will get a lot of smaller buds however I would say if it's a good grow you should have a over all better yield. Meaning the buds will be more uniform in size less chance at mold on a smaller bud it will dry faster. And by cropping them there will be a lot more juicy buds. If you go this route maybe do the cropping water with some super thrive and tack on a few more days to the veg stage. It will be worth it in the long run and whats three days.