First Indoor Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tplat, Jun 29, 2010.

1. #1 tplat, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    Well heres a journal started kind of late of my indoor grow sofar. The plants are some kind of purple strain that my nephew got the seeds free, their probably guessing about 2.5-3 months old. Just using CFL`s for now till about middle of next month when I will be upgrading to a 1000 watt HPS/MH light set up, the grow table is about 5X5 inside a grow room thats about 8L X 5W and 6-7H it has a slanted ceiling. Got a 450cfm fan to cool the light and draw fresh air in and if neccessary also be hooked upto a Phresh carbon filter at a later date. Using Technaflora nutes (see link below for info) The plants range in height of about 18-20 inches, when they get taller gonna take the grow table out and sit them on the floor with plant trays underneath to collect run off for disposal of outside and for routine PH testing. Soil I am using Sta Green plant and vegetable soil, it has time release nutes in it but when I read it the amount seemed very small ranging in 0.01-0.02% for what few time release nutes that are in it. Watering cycyle is feed one day then couple days off then water and so on. I only need to water them every couple of days right now.

http://www.technaflora.com/sharedfiles/Canadian2009RFS_3.pdf

Shop Sta-Green 2 Cu. Ft. Flower & Vegetable Planting Mix at Lowes.com green&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=sta green

Attached Files:

2. #2 Senor Smokey, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
    Wow the plants look really healthy. How many lights do you have?

I think you might like watching and reading this other guys grow journal. On youtube his name is scrogking and on rollitup his name is jigfresh. If you have limited space and want to maximize output, a scrog setup works great. It requires a little more work though. He just finished his 3rd grow and I have learned a few things from him. Nice guy too. His vertical setup is incredible.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0jjjkQYLFg]YouTube - Day 64 of 12/12 - Hindu Skunk, White Widow Scrog[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gdOts6j_E"]YouTube- Week 5 - 12/12 : Casey Jones, Sour Grape. Vertical Scrog DWC[/ame]

3. We got 12 23 or 26 watt CFL`s and 4 40 watt daylight flourescent lights, 2 flourescent lights at each end of the home made light rack we made with the CFL`s running down the middle in pairs. Its not pretty but its been working nicely till I get a new HPS/MH light set up going. As for the plants my nephew is comming down today and said he is gonna look and see if their good to be topped so it grows multiple cola`s instead of one single one. Basicly copying what my nephew did at his place with the exception that he had 3 really small grow areas and were using one larger grow room area. When they get taller were gonna take the home made grow table out and sit them on the floor. The rope is used to raise the light as needed and one side can be easily raised more then the other if needed.

Attached Files:

4. Nice setup. So much farther advanced than my ghetto setup. If you don't mind i'd like to pick your brain on the setup.
    Do you find the sta-green planting mix to better than miracle G.?
    Has there been a big difference in your electric bill? Now with all those CFL's going...

5. CFL`s dont really use alot of electricity but the intake fan, the 4 40 watt flourescents and having to run the old patio air conditioner have raised the electric bill about $25-30 a month. Sta Green does have some time release nutes in it but they are very minimal in the amounts. On my next grow gonna try some soil that has no time release nutes in them to see what difference there is.

6. Thanks for the info. Now, what's the rule of thumb when it comes to lighting and the amount of plants you can grow?
    Also, why both CFL's and fluorescent? one's for veggin' and the other for flowering? that would my guess.

7. #7 tplat, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010

From what I read for light per plant is 100 watts for the first plant and 50 watts for each additional plant, we had some extra flourescnet lights just needed the daylight bulbs so figured throw those in there for some extra light untill we get a 1000 watt HPS/MH light set up around the middle of the month. So if your using CFL`s that are equivalent to a 100 watt bulb times the number of CFL`s till you get to or over 100 watts for first plant and same for the 50 watts for each additional plant, I think. Example, 1 23 watt CFL bulb is equivalent to a 100 watt bulb so 5X23 watts= 115 watts. I think thats how you add it up for watts for the first plant. I think they way it was described is 100 watts for first plant not what the CFL bulb is equivalent to but total watts itself.

8. How are things going? It is really hot in VA.

9. Not bad, still dealing with what I believe is a PH problem and my PH tester wont be here untill the 13th, ordered one onlince because all the hydro shops around here are about $75-100 for a decent water proof PH meter and I get one online for about half that. Will be adding some updated pics in a little bit here.

10. I guess you need the soil type PH tester. I think Home Depot has a plenty of them for <$20?

11. I got one of those soil PH testers and its ok, I think it gives you a general idea of the soil`s PH but not a more accurate reading then using a digital one and testing the water run off. Should be getting my digital one delivered on the 13th.

12. I never thought of testing the run off water. That sounds like a better idea. Is there a way to test the PPM/EC for soil? Since the soil has nutrients included, and you are using Techna Flora, nutrient burn might be the problem. FYI, you should let the water settle for a day so the chlorine can dissapate, and you should PH balance the fertilizer before you water the plants.

13. Dont think its nute burn but more of a PH prob but will see when I get my PH tester delivered on the 13th. Since using filtered water from a Brita water pitcher that sits over night in clean plastic 1 gallon Arizona tea jugs it doesnt doesnt appear to have gotten worse or spreading. As for PPM/EC I know nothing about that but was curoius about it. Just started an outdoor grow journal with a couple of pics up just need to remember to update the journals on a regular basis.

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/632781-first-outdoor-grow.html

14. They have EC testers that analyze the contents of the water. It tells you the parts per million of how many dissolved solids are in your water. If you have too many, you get the nutrient burn. People who are growing hydropincally have to check the EC levels. If you have nutrient burn, all you have to do is buy a flushing solution.

Most tap water is close enough to the recommended PH levels. Are you PH balancing the nutrients before watering?

BTW, the outdoor plants look amazing. Aren't you worried that some neighborhood kids might try and steal them?

15. #15 spooky1i, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    That is a crazy looking rig you got there. Looks good. Those plants look pretty healthy. I don't know how much that rig cost you to build but I would almost recon that you could have bought a sweet t5 4 ft 8 bulb 432 watt hood for what you paid for that and it would run a lot cooler. And you could vary the light with a flip of the switch. 216 or 432 watts. Not knocking what you got there it looks awesome just maybe before someone else copies you they might want to consider that. And thats 432 actual watts not equivalent.

16. Not doing any PH balancing untill I get my tester, what very little damage there is it hasnt spread since I started using a Brita water pitcher with a carbon filter for water and nute mix. As for my outdoor plants we got Bill Dog for security, when he growls and breaths in at the same time he sounds psychotic. He`s an American Bulldog and weighs around 110lbs. When we have him outfront with us we have him on a tie out, zip line or whatever you call it and its rated for a 150lb dog and he`s already broke two of them where they connect to the latch thingy that that goes on the ring on his collar, he`s very protective and teritorial.

Attached Files:

17. Thats a cool looking dog. He almost looks like the dog in the Little Rascals.

I forgot that you do not have a PH tester so you can't balance the nutrients. BTW, they sell nutrients that is already PH balanced. I plan on buying General Hydroponics Flora Nova line of products, b/c it is balanced already and it is cheap. They also have detailed feeding schedules on their website. Hopefully in a few months I will have the money to start my first hydro grow.

This is a little off topic, but I had a friend who had roommates that kept dogs in the house. One of the dogs ate a quarter of his stash. He was so pissed. I was laughing on the inside.

18. #18 tplat, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010

Actualy the most expensive parts were the CFL bulbs at Home Depot, the wood we had as for the flourescent light fixtures we got at Habitat For Humanity`s Restore where you can find new and used stuff from home remodels really cheap. I upgraded the light set up today to a 1000 watt dimable digital ballast and a 6" radiant hood. Was thinking of going with a 600 watt set up and add another when we do more plants on the next run but that would almost double what it would cost for light so just decided to go with a 1000 wat set up.

Attached Files:

19. Got a digital PH trster a few days ago and going to get some PH down tommorow, played around with it some learning how to use it properly.

20. Hey, quick question. How did you make, or where did you buy that hanging thing where you put all your CFL's. Also, dont you need a reflector so the light bounces down? im just asking for my own project. Your plants look real good.