First serious grow - Fem NL from nirvana

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tokeymctokems, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Ok all this is my first real attempt at a grow, I just stopped my bag seed grow (My plant went hermi on me so i cut her 3 -4 weeks early. I just didn't want to waste time on seeded bud. I spent all day cleaning out my grow space to get the pollen out and started paper towel method on the seeds on Sunday. all 4 cracked open but only 2 ended up sprouting after I put them in dirt.

The setup.
    I have a 3'x3' grow tent with about 5 feet of vertical grow height.
    I have 6 lights - they are CFL spec's below
    # Wattage: 105 Watt
    # Incandescent Equivalent: 400 Watt
    # Initial Lumens: 6,200
    Full Spectrum 5000K

I am only using 2 right now but will add the others in after my girls get bigger.
    I might get a HPS 400w for flower - depends on if i have the money.

I am using a carbon filter for odor control and it works great - i have a 100cfm fan going all the time so airflow is good and temp control is no problem with the compact florescent lights.

I will be using fox farm nutes and solubles.

Water is tap water PH adjusted - water sits in jugs with bubblers in them for 48 hours before it touches the plants. \t\t\t\t\t\t

Here are pictures of my previous grow's yield - like i said i know it was cut down 3 -4 weeks early so not sure if this will be any good but it is giving me good practice on curing.

Attached Files:

2. Here are pictures of the new grow -

Also i have a quick question for all you pros - I am using a 3'x3' mylar grow tent (About 6 1/2 feet tall and like i said my vent is a 100cfm fan with a carbon filter - if i were to go and get a 400w HPS light for flower (one i was thinking about picking up http://www.amazon.com/Sun-System-2-4...2575602&sr=8-1) what should I use for ventilation to keep this cool - is the 100 cfm good? If not what should i get?I have a small desk fan in the tent.

Attached Files:

3. nice man. I really like cfls for starting of seeds just for the fact they are energy saving and you can put the light right up on it........for flowering tho you should really try and get that HPS....i just grew 6 m39s under a 430 hps....ebb an flow..in soil....iv never seen a 400w do so good..the thing is a champ!

Good Luck on your grow!

-Raoul Valentine

4. Ok update time
    Had a hard start - had a BAD gnat problem.
    I tried using a insecticide and it did nothing to those damn gnats (adding sand to the top of the soil worked like a charm though). But my plants did turn slightly yellow so i tried flushing it but over the next week they just got more yellow turns out they needed nutes at 1 week so after a rough start here we are, I got a 400w digital switchable balast, i have a Metal halide bulb in there now and i can switch to HPS when it is time - i will use 2 of my CFL for side lighting later.

I wasn't sure that one 100cfm fan with a carbon filter was going to cut it for ventilation so i hooked up my spare to boost it up. so now i have 2 of those 100cfm fans in there. I just got the 400w light today so i just hooked it up I am hoping things pick up now.

Attached Files:

5. I know that this is a really slow start - last month on the 29 was when i took that other picture - should i start over or should i keep going with this one, did i just damage it so bad that it is stunted? My other grow just seemed to be a lot further along at this point....

6. They look good to me:).

7. i havethe same problem with the pests but didnt want to use sand yet as i heard it makes watering alot harder.. how has it altered your methods in any ways (if it has)????

8. I have this in autoflower so I will be tuning in.

9. Looking good so far.

Sweet Tokey.

10. I wouldn't scratch em, they look pretty good to me. What soil you running?

11. I have one of those CFLs, very resourceful way of lighting a seedling, if not a little dangerous LOL:D.

12. The sand locks in moisture - this is the first day in those pots, but when they were in the cups it did lengthen the time between watering. I am pretty sure that once the roots spread out and fill the pot it won't be an issue. Testing the soil for dryness takes about an extra min just gently slide the sand to one side till you expose the dirt then just jam your finger in to test lol. But seriously I had about a million of those little bastards with just the 2 party cups and now i only ever have a half dozen flying around so it works.

I tried insecticide and it started my problems with the plants and didn't do shit. Sand is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Also it helps reflect light back up at your babies :) I will let you know how things go and next time i water - i think it's going to be a while since it just started in those pots.

13. It's black magic potting soil - which is just plain potting soil no nutes with 50% perlite mixed in. I was having problems controlling PH with some of the other soils, it would always go too low and i don't have the cash to pay for the fox farm soil but i am using all of their nutes.

14. It is not really that dangerous a good fan on them makes heat a non issue. So long as you check them once a day at least it's not bad at all.

15. So i had to give them some nutes today, soil wasn't near dry but they needed those nutes. I will post pics either tonight or tomorrow.

16. OK so i had to give them some nutes yesterday. The day before that i noticed they were a bit yellow and starting to curl up on the edges but i had just transplanted them and didn't want to burn them figuring they may get some nutes from the fresh soil but apparently there is nothing in this soil at all lol. I really hope i haven't screwed up these plants but if plants could hate they would hate me that is for sure. Any way all you pros if you think i should start over at any point let me know i don't want to grow hermies for months cause i screwed them up early. newest leaves are looking good but the edges of one one set are now toast :(

Attached Files:

17. thanks alot man.. i went ahead and added the sand.. will feed tomorrow and c how it goes..

i would keep your plants too.. just flush them and try and relieve the stress from the burn and all.. imo i would just make sure i keep a stable ph and feed. just maintain so u dont get any lockout

18. yeah its not burn it was def - leaves curling up i just didnt get to it in time with nutes - they look much better than they did yesterday they needed the nutes. I just need to find a good start medium.