LIsmoker's First Grow - 4 autos with t5

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by LIsmoker, Apr 26, 2010.

1. #1 LIsmoker, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
    :wave:Most recent post: Click Here! :hello:

This grow is now complete :yay: if you'd like to view my new grow with more autoflowering in the same setting go here: click this! :smoking:

Just a noob starting her first grow.

Set up:
    HTG Mother Keeper Grow Tent - 51.5 x 22.5 x 48.5
    GrowBright 4 foot 4 lamp T5 - with 4 Grow (6400K) Spectrum Bulbs
    Fox Farm Nutrients
    Ocean Forest Soil

Seeds:
    1 Lowryder Easy Ryder
    2 WOS Afghan Kush
    1 Barney Farm's Flower Power

The grow just started so all I have done so far is soak the seeds in water overnight. I am going to transplant them to cups later tonight.

When I checked on them today none of them had sunk after I helped them down they all have sunk except for one of them which actually is starting to show a tap root.

But, I am wondering what to do about the t5's. I am planning on using the lights I receive with them right away but when would be a good time to switch to different bulbs and which would be good?

More updates will be on the way.

Attached Files:

2. #2 Jaysew313, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    Good luck on the grow, you wanna use 6500's or blue spectrum for veg and 2700's red for flower, i dont know it those numbers are exactly right but higher # for veg, low for flower. I use t5's too but only for veg, and hps for flower. You have some auto's so you dont have to switch the lights till preflower show up i think, i dont know alot about autos. Make sure you can see a taproot off the seed before you transplant, Hope that helps some.

3. #3 LIsmoker, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
    Update:

I have transplated the seeds into party cups and placed them in some OF soil with perlite. I placed plastic bags over it and secured them with rubberbands. The soil seems to be containing the water because I can still feel the weight of the water. Hopefully I will see some green soon.

I am going to be picking up three 2700k bulbs to place in my light fixture during flowering and will be doing a 3-1 ratio with the 2700k and 6500k lighting in the tent. I was also thinking of picking up two side CFL's 2700k probably to place in the tent to help with denser buds during flowering does anyone have success with this?

Attached Files:

4. If you want denser buds youre gonna need to go with HPS, you could probably get away with a 250 for those 4 autos. T5's will grow nice resinous buds, but for density its gotta be an HPS/MH.

5. gotcha. Then I'll be leaving off the CFL sides since I already purchased the T5.

6. Update:

Last night I placed the plants in the tent. With the lights on the temperature was about 75 or so and with the lights off 68 degrees. I had uncovered the cups, but have since placed the bags back on. I still have yet to see anything pop the soil, the wait continues.

Attached Files:

7. #7 LIsmoker, May 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
    Update:

Still no sign of growth in the Flower Power or the Easy Ryder however there is some green showing in the two Afghan Kushes.

Humidity tends to be around 50% with the lights off and when the lights are on it is 40% humidity. 60-64 temperate when the lights are off and when the lights are on it hangs out around 81-83. Anything I can do to make it a little better or are these conditions good?

Attached Files:

8. Temps are a little harsh, you only want a 10-15max degree difference with light on/off, and make sure it stays under 85 really you want it under 80, i run mine at 75 on 68 off, i have the same HTG setup and i think its a little small for a 4' 4 bulb T5 for heat reasons, just try to keep it within 10 degrees if possible, looks like things are going good though, good luck

9. Wow thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will keep monitoring the temperatures and see what I can do about dropping it a little. I started it on a 18/6 light cycle and when I see the other two pop up I plan on switching it to 20/4.
    Which bulbs are you using in your T5 if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!

10. 7200 i think? Veg (blue) bulbs

11. #11 LIsmoker, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Update:

3 out of 4 of them have now popped out of the soil. The only one which hasn't yet is the Easy Ryder. The Afghan Kushes' both have some nice leaves starting. I still have the bag over the other one until I see something pop open. I have yet to use any nutrients and are watering with distilled water but after looking it up a little more they say tap water might be better so I may have to check the pH of my water and see.

Anything I can do to help that one pop up or just keep waiting?

I have yet to check the pH but I got a tester from Amazon however it's a soil probe one and I'm not too sure it's working... I was thinking of picking up a better one to check the water anyone have any suggestions on a good type to purchase that isn't too expensive?

Attached Files:

• 1-10.jpg
      1-10.jpg
      File size:
      360.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1-9.jpg
      1-9.jpg
      File size:
      275.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1-8.jpg
      1-8.jpg
      File size:
      360.5 KB
      Views:
  12. AWWW we have babies.. How cute. Dont see em yet but I bet they special. I would have gotten the soil all the way to the top of the cups. More light can get to the bean and has more room to grow. I usually Keep them inside for about 3 weeeks, until I can sex. Then its time to get it on. I got my chair for this!

13. #13 LIsmoker, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Update:

Temp.:
    The inside temperature seems to be creeping up to the 80's with the lights on. I keep a 6" circulation fan in there as well as a 4" inline fan thinking about picking up another one to try and cool it down but I'm not sure if I need it yet.

Lights:
    They are on a 20/4 light cycle at this time, I am watering them usually around the "mid afternoon" to them so about 3-5 hrs before the lights go off.

pH:
    Went out to the pet store and got a pH tester and up/down kit. Went through and made a nice batch of 6.4-6.6 water to mist on them. Now that I finally figured out how to work the soil probe I am able to check the moisture, etc.

Questions:
    When checking the fertility the meter said that it was low just wondering what would effect that reading and if it even matters?

Haha yes, now I know how it feels to actually see something, makes all the waiting worth it. Just checked out your journal, so jealous you have an Easy Ryder starting, here's to hoping the one Easy Ryder I purchased will pop up soon.

14. Yeah I will help you out dont worry, love to grow these autos just too much fun... I would water Right when the lights turn on not off. that way the water or nute feed is being eaten up. At night it just will be sitting there turning into salts... Not good.

Now what meter did you get? and what do you mean Fertiliuty meter? I also wouldnt mist your plant you are just going to burn it.

15. Oh good to know about the misting I would have kept doing that. Guess I'll start really watering them then instead.

I purchased this meter from Amazon: Amazon.com: Luster Leaf 1818 Rapitest Mini 4-in-1 Soil Tester: Home & Garden

16. Junk throw it out, everyone buys these cheap things...... Google Ph meter and u will see what you should be buying not that. :smoke:

17. #17 LIsmoker, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
    Update:

All seems the same, I began watering them a little more after noticing that they were very dry when I checked them this morning. The Afghan's seem to be doing really good while the Flower Power one is still kinda struggling. I'll post a picture and maybe someone can tell me if there's anything I can do to help it.

Thinking about giving up on the Easy Ryder, I took off the cover to give it some light hasn't poked out yet. I read a few things about them taking a little longer to reach the top of the soil anyone know if that's true?

Attached Files:

18. How deep did you plant the seed? And how far is the light from the cup. I also would put some saran wrap over the cup to made the sopil stay moist and what not.

Also what kind of Soil are you using?

19. The lights are about 19 inches from the cups. I have put back the plastic bag on the seed that has yet to sprout. I am using FFOF soil and the seed was planted about 1 inch deep inside of the cup.

Also the Flower Power seed has a little yellow coloring on it. Now it has yet to fully sprout and show it's leaves so that may not be an issue because I do see full green leaves coming in and starting small now though.

20. Dude get that light about 4 inches from the top of the cup that is ur issue. U want that shit close not far, its not getting enough light that is why the plant is doing what it is doing

what are you using for SOIL???? That could be also why u have issues. :wave: