Ed's Coconut Grove - El Dorado (Nirvana)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AskEd, Apr 17, 2010.

1. #1 AskEd, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
    High blades! I like to have at least one journal going besides the Lounge - I like to journal - so I can't think of a better one to do than this little lady right here...

=================================================

GROW INDEX
    *Note: All updates have pics

03/26/10 Day 00 - Cracked & planted
    03/29/10 Day 01 - Broke ground
    04/12/10 Day 15 - Flipped to 12/12
    04/27/10 Day 30 - Spotted Pistils
    05/07/10 Day 40 - Update "We got bush!" ..... Page 2
    05/14/10 Day 47 - Update "Cheater!" ..... Page 4
    05/26/10 Day 58 - Update "Steady" ..... Page 6
    06/16/10 Day 79 - Update "Just a Quickie" .... Page 8

=================================================

GROW DETAILS
    Lights: T5 (24" 110w) @ 18/6 for veg .:. HPS 600w 12/12 for flower
    Medium: Coco (fiber coir) & worm castings & dolomite lime & perlite
    Nutes: None for veg, organic teas for flowering

STOCK
    Strain: El Dorado (Feminized)
    Breeder: Sativa Seeds (Nirvana)
    Source: Attitude
    THC: High
    Height: Tall
    Flower Time: 12-14 weeks
    Type: Sativa
    Genetics: From the Oaxaca region of Mexico

Breeder Notes:

Sativa Seeds Eldorado is a remarkable Sativa from the Oaxaca region of Mexico. At Nirvana, we have been selectively backcrossing this landrace for at least a dozen generations. Eldorado provides a crisp, sharp and inspiring high that is rarely found elsewhere. Eldorado cannabis seeds flower in 12-14 weeks and they can be cultivated both indoors and outdoors. Her buds are thin and airy, which means yields are not of particular commercial interest, but fortunately, the quality of Eldorado smoke is the stuff of legends! Her THC is high which leaves you feeling energised.

Grower Notes (that's me!): In alomost 30 years of smoking pot, there is one weed that has stood out above the rest as my all time fav. It didn’t have a fancy name, it was simply called “Oaxacan” (pronounced oh-hock-in here in Texas). It was called Oaxacan because that’s where it was grown, and it was beautiful. It’s been about 15-20 years since I last smoked that, nothing has really touched my soul like that before or since.

I’ve searched and searched but nobody has ever gotten their hands on this, or even heard of it. This has been my Holy Grail for half my life.

I shit myself when I stumbled across this El Dorado strain. How ironic its name is a metaphor for Holy Grail!

I think this may be her, or damn close to it, and I will name her Rosita.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LET'S GET IT ON!​

OK, here we go! This is a Mexican sativa, unruly and problematic indoors. Now we're getting back to my roots in growing! It will be a challenge to keep her in line, there may be a show in it for all of you LOL

Rosita wasted no time in germing and sprouting. In fact she was so fast that she stretched under the low nursery lighting and fell over. I fixed her up right away with a 1 gallon pot (she was in a 4" starter pot) and buried her deep. Most of her roots got ripped off in an transplant mishap. I buried her deep and gave her a few days, she didn't miss a beat.

Her medium is 3 parts coco coir, 1 part worm castings, 1 part perlite, and a fistfull of dolomite lime. This should be plenty of food for her throughout veg cycle.

Day 12 A-OK so far! This is the first pic I have of her.
    [​IMG]

2. #2 AskEd, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
    Day 17
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here she is in the flower space (where's Waldo?), crammed in with some big hairy bitches
    [​IMG]

Nothing like a solid foundation
    [​IMG]

Check out her lower branches, this is going to be a fun one to try and contain LOL She is really stretching now, the inernodal lengths are expanding by the minute. I will top her in the next day or two. Normally I'd have them into a 3 gal at this point but I don't want to encourage her, know what I mean?
    [​IMG]

3. Yummy, the sweet apple smell will be the thing I look for as confirmation. That stuff could fill an entire room if you had a little bud in your pocket. I think it will be a test of the carbon filter if this is indeed the one. Can't wait, and damn is it going to be a long wait!!!! :hello:

4. tuned in !!

5. Hi K! Good to have you aboard :wave:

6. scribed.... apples are my fav smell, I always buy spiced apple candles, or maybe I just like apple pie :p
    Cant wait to see her do her thang....

7. glad to be bro, wow i just smoked a bowl and looked at your pics, and i couldn't stop looking for like 20 minutes LOL. just kept staring blankly haha :smoke:

8. how looking greeeat! im definitely subscribed.

im still a new grower and wanna learn as much as possible!

cant wait to see how this goes!

9. damn i wish i had that much success in soil, my hydro doesnt even grow that fast, check it out somtime, yours puts mine to shame:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for tuning in guys, I took some pics last night and I'll get them up today or tomorrow, she is an absolute monster right now.

thevaleyhaze420 - this is actually a soiless mix LOL I know it looks like soil, but it's kinda of a hybrid of soil & hydro. I've had great success with this (coco), and the growth rate is just amazing. I've abandoned soil & hydro for this medium, it's just really good.

11. sick man. cant wait to see the pics!

i just seen a video on soiless mix soo i also was thinkin about doing that my next grow!

when you have soiless mix do you have a limited option for nutrients? (sorry if a stupid question)

12. #12 OCTAGONAL HOME, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2010
    Looks as healthy as the next, she fits right in that flowering room nicely. Just great growing man + rep for sure.

13. Not a stupid question at all man, soiless is the least known of the mediums, I'm always happy to spread the word LOL I've never felt limited with coco, much less soiless. Any hydro nutes will work with soiless. You treat it like hydro, but it looks like soil. I mainly use soiless because it's quite (this is a stealth grow) and lot less chance of mites.

Thanks man, good to see you drop in!

14. DAY 24 - Pre-Puberty

Lights {12/12}: 600w HPS ~~ Nutes: None ~~ ph: 5.8 ~~ Temps: 74-92 ~~ rh: 34%

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that Rosita is an absolute sweetheart. She never complains, eats lightly (from what I can tell), and always looks great. So far she hasn't gone crazy sativa bitch on me... yet... but her growth has been impressive just the same.

The worm castings have done a good job of feeding her so far, I've yet to give her any nutes but I'm about to transplant her into a 3 or 5 gallon pot and give her roots some room to work. I hope to time it so that her 3 week stretch will have plenty of room for her roots, to stretch out, and produce some decent size colas. This strain is not supposed to be a big yielder because the buds are long and airy, so I'm hoping this will help.

Just when I think she's about to bitch about the living arrangements, she always seems happy. Hell she does shots and sings songs with the other girls in there. Can you see Rosita? (answer in the last pic...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She disappears when you look at her sideways LOL I like that though, means she's not drooping :p You know the rose buckets at the grocery store? Thats what her 1 gallon pot is sitting in, it's her booster seat for the flower room with all those big broads.
    [​IMG]

This is my new favorite way to clone. Coco & water. I'm not using any gels or powders, but normally I do. I have 3 cloning machines in a pile collecting dust now, this is such an easy way. This clone is 5 days from cut, about another week to go and she'll root and become a bonsai mother.
    [​IMG]

OK, if you look hard you might see Rosita in there. :wave:
    [​IMG]

15. #15 AskEd, May 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2010
    DAY 30 - Confirmation

Lights {12/12}: 600w HPS ~~ Nutes: None ~~ ph: 5.8 ~~ Temps: 74-92 ~~ rh: 34%

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rosita continues to grow like crazy, she's really showing her sativa self now and hitting the gas pedal now that she's got the green light to flower. So far no nutes for her, the organic medium I mixed up for her seems to be working well. Actually I won't be using any nutes on her, I'll give her some home brewed teas. Wish me luck on that LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I topped all of her tops in an effort to control her vertical rampage. And on a good note, we have confirmation on her sex :)
    [​IMG]

Well the clone took nicely, new growth confirms the rooting. I love taking cuts as I put the plant into 12/12. If we have pistils, then the clone should be rooted. The new growth exploded out of nowhere and is looking hungry (pictured). A dose of Maxicrop had her looking good in a few hours.
    [​IMG]

* Jump to next update *

16. great to know about dealing with those unruly sativas. I didn't know you could just bend it over at 90 degrees as well. don't think I'll try it, but I commend your methods Ed.

17. It's not for the faint at heart LOL It's also a lot easier to do if you have clones and another plant to work with, if it was my only plant I'd be a little more nervous about breaking limbs and such.

18. looks great Ed! you have that coco down brotha!

19. she is a sweet lookin thing there Mr. Ed....glad i found this place early tho...chair space looks limited in there...:wave:

20. Looking great Ed, I hope that this IS the droid you're looking for :)