135 watt CFL end table grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Dr. Dankness, Mar 20, 2010.

1. So welcome to my grow journal. As of right now I have a Sour Deisel and The Purps seeds germinating, one of each. I just put them in the water last night and the SD has sunk to the bottom. As for the cab i am working with something small for now due to space restrictions. What i have is an old end table that i modified and tweaked to be able to turn it into a grow box. It measures 13 1/4 wide by 19 1/2 tall and 17 1/2 deep. For lighting i have (5) 5500k 27 watt CFL's mounted in the top horizontally, as to not take up all my grow space. I also took a power strip and mounted it in the back corner and ran the plug out the back of the box so i didn't take up every outlet in the room and the grow was kinda self contained. For Ventilation i mounted a 120mm pc fan to the top for exhaust of the hot air, and a 80mm fan at the bottom for fresh air, there is also two passive intake holes in the floor that are 1 1/4 in dia. As far as soil goes there isn't really much available where i am at, and i am on a pretty small budget. So i plan on using miracle grow organic mix with atleast 25% perlite. For nutes i don't know what to do cuz there isn't much available here. I have a buddy that said he has some sea kelp and bat guano that i can have. but i don't know how much to use or what stages to use it in. i have some other shit that a chick gave me said her ex used to grow and he left it but its like a whitish powder, kinda smells like fish.... i uno. but im lost for the nutes unless anyone knows of anything that would help available at wally world or home depot. but i will keep everyone posted! and if u know of any good nutes, easily available.... lemme know!

2. ok so here is some pics

Attached Files:

3. that last pic is of a plant i have been helpin my mom with.... just thought i would thro it in since this journal sucks so far

4. well good news late last night, i saw that the SD cracked so i put it in a wet paper towel in a baggie. That Purps seed hasn't even sunk yet tho, does that mean it isn't any good. I have used this method several times and they always sink with a day.... but i coming up on two days now starting to kinda worry. I am also a little worried about the temp issues i have been having. Having serious problems keeping it low and steady. Been running like as high as 86 in the day.... once saw it at 90.... but between 80 to 86 on a regular basis. I think it might just be how the seasons are changing. its too cold at night to leave the heater off but not hot enough in the day for ac.... so the temps are diff in all the rooms in the house. and i don't have central air so that makes it kinda difficult controlling the tempature in that room. i am sure i will come up with a solution thothinking about rearranging the room. but anyways let everyone know when there is more progress

5. well.... the SD is visible but just barely.... im guessing by tommorow night she will be up outta the peat pellet thing. my purp seed still hasnt cracked but im keepin my hopes up.... if not i found a seed of sensi star in my last pick up at the dispensary. i will post some pics as soon as she comes outta the dirt. i am fairly new to growing tho have guided my mom thru with the help of GC and the internet.... isn't gonna be the best but gotta start somewhere right. So im down for any pointers or advice.

6. so the sour diesel is above the dirt now and lookin good. i dont know wether to transplant it now or shud i wait till some root shows on the peat pellet. im still a little conserned about the heat problem tho... as high as 90 on a warm day. i think it might be time to hook up the swamp cooler. i will post some pictures a little later. gimme ur opinions of the repottin issue im haveing

7. so i went ahead and put it in the smaller of the two pots i plan on using. so far so good tho. i think i am goin to go with the four way LST on it tho and possibly scrog it but not sure on that yet. If anyone has any suggestions or anything im always down for tips.

Attached Files:

• 044.JPG
      044.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 045.JPG
      045.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 046.JPG
      046.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 047.JPG
      047.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  8. So i don't know if i need to worry or not but today i noticed kind of a blotching pattern on the leaves. There has been no nutes given besides the green sand added to mix so i don't think its anything like that. my temp has been about 78-84 with humidity stickin solid at 16%. if someone could thro me some ideas it would be great. the water im using has ph of 6.6-6.8. Im not sure how to test the runoff but all i have is a ph tester for a pool.... and one of the things with the three prongs that goes into the dirt( tests ph and nute levels but doesnt seem accurate). i haven't seen anything here to help diagnose problems with seedlings but im still scouring forums and books. i took some pics to hopefully help but it ain't lettin me upload them right now so i will try later or tommorow. don't think itll die before then lol

9. hey man,
    cool set up, interested to see how it turns out. As far as lst goes, deff do it with your short space. you need those plants as short and bushy as possible. to test the ph runoff just test some of the water that drips through your pots after watering. for your purps seed. IMHO, im not sure its looking so good man...to the best of MY knowledge, you shouldn't let those seeds soak for more than a night (never heard of anything dealing with floaters or sinkers...) I put my seeds on a wet paper towel, in tupperware and throw them in a closet for a few days. i've had good success with it. as far as the blotchyness goes...hmmm. no idea man lol. im new to this grow thing too. im on a real tight budget and have been using mg nutes. i have 3 diff mg nutes, one for seedlings/early veg with tons of nitrogen, one for veg, its like 20-20-20 (or something close) and one for flowering, like 10-30-10. theyre not the ideal nutes, but i'm having what i would consider success for what im working with.
    check out my grow, let me know if you have any questions.
    good luck man!

10. ya man i have used the lst method before on another plant i grew... or helped grow i guess... it wasn't at my house but i went and checked her everyday from seed to harvest. that was in a box measuring 11wx11dx22h. This time i want to try the 4 way lst for maximum yeild. the last one i just lst'd the main stem and then scrogged it.... turned out pretty good... i would say close to 20g.... i guess not too bad for first grow in that tight of a space. didn't wiegh the final product tho.... and i think i mighta chopped it early. i chopped it just a week ago and it went into flowering on feb 3rd. From what i have heard the MG nutes are a little harsh. i have been doin a little research and found blood meal for flowering and bonemeal for veg. they have a lower concentration of ferts, and i believe they are organic which is a huge plus for me... not a big fan of chemicals in my pot. but i haven't actually gone to the store to see the garunteed analysis deal to see the acctual contents. but i think its more like 1-4-2 and 2-1-4 rather than 20-20-20. just better for the plants to have a milder fert every water than a strong one every other watering. from what i have heard, read, and or understand.... lol but i could be totally wrong so don't take my word for it i would recomend researching some on the milder nutes tho

11. well nothing else ever sprouted but the sour diesel seems to be doin great. I am goin to take some current pics tonight and will upload before i go to bed. The leaves seem to be a funny shape, really broad. i know indica has broader leaves but from my research if it was really sour diesel that i got at the dispensary then it shoulda been 65% sativa 35% indica. But we all know how the dispensary scene in colorado is, you never know what ur gonna get.lol. but the nodes are very tight and seems like it should be nice tight and bushy. Im starting to get excited now. Been thinking about starting with some small amounts of sea kelp to help with the veg cycle. anyways gonna burn a lil jack herer and take some pics of my baby. see all ya blades in a bit

12. Really Nice Micro Grow Cab , Keep it up man and keep us posted. This place will be fucking swarming once you get some bud in that thing ;) K+

13. So i tried to get on the other night and give a lil report on the SD but GC wouldn't let me upload any pics and it pissed me off so i gave up. But anyways it is doin great. I am kind of questioning wether or not i was sold real SD at the dispensery, according to what ive found then SD is 65/35 Sativa. That should mean thinner leaves but as you can see thats not the case.... guess it may be to early.... and to be honest im just glad its lookin so healthy. I topped it about two days ago now and im can see the new growth starting. The internodes are pretty close together so it shouldnt mind bein a short lil bushy fucker. I watered it the other day with a real light dose of sea kelp, and she seems to eat it up. I deffinetly noticed a difference in the rate of growth, seems like i can see a diff. now in just a couple hours. But i am down for any comments or advice, i want to learn as much as possible. I took the pics last night.

Attached Files:

14. well i repotted it last night and shes doin great. when i got off work and checked it i had 1/2 inch new growth from the topping point. i am gonna take some pics and hopefully be able to post them if i can pry my wife away from farmville. seems to be goin good so far tho

15. looks good man, nice green foliage is a great start man

16. Well I transplanted her two days ago. Today i gave a dose of sea kelp again, and we will see how she likes that. I thought i would see a delay in growth from the transplanting while the roots expanded but i was wrong. The very next day i had almost a 1/4 inch new growth at the topping point. Its stem is starting to stiffen up a bit and become a little sturdier.... i was starting to worry it was gonna get to top heavy. All seems to be great tho nice dark green leaves and tight internodes. I took some pics so everyone lemme know. I have thought about switching to an 18/6 light schedual but don't know if it would make enough of a difference to worry about.... does anyone know, seems to be alotta contravercy on the subject. And i was talkin to a buddy that said he knows of a greenhouse outside of town that sells fox farm nutes, but he said they have had the same stock for almost two years. I don't know if they go bad or not but i think i might go out there and check it out anyways. But anyways any feedback is muchly appreciated, peace out till next time blades!

Attached Files:

17. so i walked into my bedroom today and realized that it smelt dank in there. its so small i dont know how its putting off such a strong odor but it is im hoping it dies down some or i dont know what ill do.... guess lotsa candles aheada me

18. hey doc,
    lookin good man! super closer node space, good work. no idea on the old fox farm nuts...as far as the weak stems, put a fan on her. keep em' dancin, and the stems will thicken up and have an easier time holdin up those monster buds you're wanting. look into making a DIY carbon scrubber. they're pretty cheep and relatively easy to make. theres quite a few threads on GC about how to make them. good luck brotha

19. thanks man. i got the stem problem under control now they are nice and thick now. I have looked into some of the DIY carbon filters but im worried my fan wont pull or push thru it. I have been thinking on the 4 inch duct booster fans from HD but i don't think they carry them there, i have looked and can't find em and i asked a chick i know that works there and she said she don't think they carry them. Im sure they can order them but i don't know if i wanna go thru the trouble. Im not sure how effective they are and noise may be an issue if they are real loud. I got some of the carbon filter pads but my fan doesn't push thru it very good. its a 120mm 78 cfm 12v pc case fan. But if anyone has any suggestions on a small, quiet, and well worth it fan lemme know. More than willin to do a DIY fan/scrubber combo or something.

20. so i checked on her today when i got home from work and holy shit i was shocked at the growth i had. This plant is about 4 or 5 inches tall, barely towers over a bic lighter. Its bigger around than it is tall. i am begining to worry a lil bit on the size issue, i don't know if it will finish in that small of a space. A buddy has an old dresser he said i could have to convert if need be so i guess we will see what happens with it. i am lookin for very dense buds when its all said and done..... if anyone has any recomendations on easy to find bloom booster, or flowering nute that will make some dense plump buds lemme know