Bonglords New Garden 4x600 Watt Sealed 10'x20'

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Bonglord, Feb 25, 2010.

1. #1 Bonglord, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
    I should start this out by thanking all of you for contributing to this and other similar sites. I've been on here for a couple of years with another username and I can honestly say that without your contributions I wouldn't have even considered doing this. The information and entertainment I've gotten out of these places has been inspirational. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. Thank you all.

This grow is for my personal use, I have ADHD and I smoke to help me stay grounded in reality and focus my copious energy in a positive direction.

That said let's talk about this grow.

· Genetics: I ordered my seeds from Gypsy Nirvana and I give praise to their service. The order, communication and shipping were excellent. I guess I kind of had low standards going into the process due to the illicit nature of the product but there service was great. I ordered The Church and White Widow from Greenhouse (fem) as well as Grow Doc's Bubbledust for no particular reason other than they look chronic. Just for fun I threw in some Genovese basil, chive and cilantro until I run out of space.
    · Room: The grow is taking place in my utility room. I have two other locations that have potential but the utility room has a sink, concrete floors, outside air access and plenty of power options. The total floor space is 52”x113” and my biggest concern with this space is the HVAC and water heater. I'm going to test out the room by running the grow chamber for a couple of days before flowering. If there is a problem I plan on adding a room to room fan on a thermometer to suck the hot air into my family room.
    · Equipment: I got all of my gear from a local hydro/brewing store. The guy who runs the place is very mellow and did a great job of price matching one of the lowest priced sites on the net. I feel fortunate to have a shop like this in my town. Even though I had to pay a bit more I feel the relationship is worth it. If I have a problem he has loaners in stock and I actually have a person to help me out in a jam. I'm using 2 24” 4 bulb Sun Blaze T5's for veging/mothers. As you can see I rigged up a couple of 20” adjustable wire shelves for the veg station. The 30”x48”x77" flowering chamber is made out of painted 2x4's, plywood and panda film with a Velcro door. For flowering I'm using a 600 watt 120v Galaxy ballast and a Hortilux super HPS bulb hooked up to a Sentinel MDT-1 timer. Air will be sucked out with a 6” Vortex through a CAN 33 filter on a speed controller. I plan on placing it on the outside sucking through the 6” cool tube. The exhaust setup may change if I think the fan/filter will fit in the chamber once I get the cool tube installed.
    · Medium/Nutes and such: I'd bet that I go hydro at some point but I'm going to start out with #4 Sunshine Mix. It sounds like this is a safer route for a noob like me. I'm starting in 1.5” cubes and pete pellets for the non-psychoactive herbs. Nutes and addatives thus far are ¼ strength GH Flora Nova Bloom (8ml per gal at full strength), Hygrozyme per the bottle and 2ml per gal H2O2 in distilled water. The Flora Nova formula is a bastardization of the “Lucas Formula” for soil that someone posted. Not sure if that's a good plan or not so chime in if you know otherwise. My PH pen isn't in yet so I'm testing with the GH fluid kit for now and Its looks like I'm around 6.5.

Lots of other stuff to talk about but we have time. For now the kids have been in the cubes for about a week, the BD's were the first to sprout. Two of them appear to be a little faster than the rest and I got them into cups when the tap root started to poke out of the bottom. The two WW's were germed a day later and look to be slower growing. I'm trying not to let the cubes dry out, they require watering once or twice a day. The cups not so much. Temps are fluctuating between 65-80 in the tray and humidity is around 25-30% with the help of a little humidifier. So grab a chair and don't hold back on the advice or criticism, I need all the help I can get and I appreciate your experience.

Update: Switched to 12/12 on 3/19, I now have 3BD and 2 WW's flowering.

Thanks in advance and welcome to my house… B

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. #2 Bonglord, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
    The room got down to 61 last night:eek:. I have a seed heat mat but during the day the tray is approaching 80 and I'm a little concerned to leave it on all the time unregulated and I don't have a thermostat for it. Might be a good investment. I'm not clear on if this is really bad or just slows growth, a little advice here would be appreciated.

All of the seedlings had roots showing except the runt WW that got 1/2 of the shell and a little of the casing stuck on it at birth so I re-planted the rest into cups and watered them thoroughly. Not a single sprout from any of the herbs? I wonder if the MJ seeds are just way fresher, they sprouted in like 2 days. I'm looking forward to the basil and cilantro and am planning out a little garden in the back yard this year.

I mixed up a gallon of distilled water with 4ml of Flora Nova Bloom, 3ml Hygrozyme and 2ml H202 2 days ago and let it sit. I cracked the jug to check PH and my test kit turned bright red indicating a ph of below 4. It took almost 4ml to get back to 6.5? Is this normal? It just seemed like a lot of PH up to be throwing in. Still uncertain on if my nutrient formula is legit or not. Should I be feeding every watering with the Sunshine mix?

News from the shop, my Sentinel, PH pen and Cool Tube are in! I'm going to head down tomorrow to grab it. Probably won't get it together until Monday but I'm excited to get my grubby hands on my gear.

I set up an air intake made out of some duct I got at Lowes. I'm not excited about all of the space its taking up but it might not be an issue. Its sticking out about 6”, if anyone has a better idea let me know. I'm getting concerned about heat, if the rooms hitting 80 without the HID fired up I'm thinking I'll need to add that vent fan for sure.

Thanks for stopping by.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. #3 Bonglord, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010

So I got the rest of my gear last night and took some time to get a little more work done. I haven’t got the Sentinel timer figured out but it doesn’t look to complex. I mounted the fan and filter inside for now, it looks like it should fit ok. That thing is HUGE, might have been overkill but whatever. The pictures really don’t do it justice, the 9000 might have been a better choice in retrospect. If you have any good ideas for setting this up let me know. As of now I have the intake at the floor as previously mentioned and I plan on routing the hot air out of the tube and through the roof of the tent.

I'm a little uncertain on how many plants I should be flowering in there. The tube is 58" off of the floor at its highest position. Taking that into consideration I wonder if 6 are too many? That was my plan initially but maybe 4 is a better idea.

The cups were fairly light when I got to them tonight and the two larger sprouts looked a little droopy so I gave them a good soaking. The PH on the runoff was around 5.8 and I'm at about 600ppm. Yesterday the temp on the probe in the tray had a high reading of 90 degrees and some of the sprouts had signs of heat stress. I raised the lights up a bit, added a fan and it looks to be dropping the temps and making them happy. I also plugged in the heat mat to help keep them warm when the lights are out. I think temps are in much better shape now.

That little WW is still so runty. It looks nice and green but it’s just growing so much slower than everyone else. The only thing I can place the blame on is the shell and sack sticking at birth but I wouldn’t think that would stunt it this much. I guess it’s only been a couple of days.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Saweet setup man! Good luck to ya and may your buds be big and dense. :wave:

PS- SICK AVATAR!

5. Thanks Werm, I've got a long ways to go man.

6. Nice to have the space in basement type place, I am a urban gorilla. Check out my Grow Journal I started today if you like.

Will be checking this out, good luck.
    :wave:

7. Really nice set-up bong [​IMG]

Gonna sit back and watch this one [​IMG]

8. Not going to lie thats a pretty sweet username and thats the only reason why I clicked on this thread.

I'm not about to rant about GHS crappy seeds right now.. :rolleyes:

Bottom line though, ALL ghs strains are either unstable hermi stock (self-feminized) or F2s from plants shanti left before he started MR. NICE.

9. That sucks, do you know anything about Grow Doc? I can tell you that the BD's are looking a fair bit healthier than the WW's at this stage and they germed way faster (not that it means anything). I pray that those WW's turn out. I'd love to have a solid Widow Mom in my room.

Thanks for stickin your head in here:smoke:

10. Great setup for a first grow! I just started my first using New Wave T5's so GOOD LUCK!

11. Thanks for all the kind words. I've been planning this for a long time so I hope I'm getting it right. For me and I'm sure for a lot of us on here the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination so I'm a happy human currently. Today I had an opportunity to bring good karma to the grow and I took advantage of it, yay me.:hello:

I wanted to mention several books that I have around the house. I guess I'm a sucker for a decent weed book but I have "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis" by DJ Short, "Easy Marijuana Gardening" by Ed and The Big Book of Buds 1 and 2. If any of you have read the first two and can recommend my next purchase I'd appreciate it.

The room got some more attention tonight. I got the ducting connected to the reflector, cut hole in the roof and caulked in the flange. The light got fired up for the first time and holy shit is that thing bright. It looks like the room temps are doing fine with the light going but I don't have the door up yet so I'm holding my breath. This Sentinel timer is the shit. It gives me piece of mind to know that it will shut down if I have a heat issue and the delayed restart will save my bulb if it does happen for whatever reason. The recycle timer might come in handy someday to. I'm just a rookie but I can see the value in this thing bigtime.

The little ones are doing well.

A couple of concerns I have
    · Several leaves are twisting in an odd way. Not too worried but it looks weird.
    · Leaves are displaying some light coloration/blotchiness. Looks like nutrient issue and I'll get pics tomorrow if it's still there (again not too concerned).
    · The runt is still runty.
    · I'm already drooling over everyone else's strains. Does it get easier after a while? I must have an AK47!
    · Are the wings on the tube doing anything for me?

No water today, they still have some weight. No sprouting in the herb guarden either :mad: ?
    I'm trying to formulate a plan for the next step at this point. I think I'll take 2-3 cuttings off of all the current inhabitants and sex 1 of each in cups. Then I'll eliminate the males if any and make a run of it with the remaining clones keeping only the best of the moms (one of each strain). Anyone with a head for this agree or have a better plan?

B kind

Attached Files:

12. They will grow out just fine, but the ones I have grown out and that a buddy of mine grew out threw some MAJOR nanners, like 3 of the 5 strains threw nanners 2 weeks before they were done.

No clue on the other strain, it will probably be awesome.

Good luck on your grow, I'm sure you won't be dissappointed, I'm just not a huge fan of GHS.

13. dumb question here

what the hell are "nanners"? :confused:

14. Male bananas that contain pollen which seeds your crop. from FEMALE plants (hermi)

15. Tuned in, how was "easy Marijuana Gardening" by mr E.R. was thinking about picking it up for some pointers and protips.

Everything is looking great thus far man

:smoke:

16. Tuned in. Nice first setup :cool:

17. sounds like you got a good plan for sexing :D your grow is looking excellent thus far!

my method of sexing is to toss the seedlings in flowering then taking cuttings of the girls the second i see femaale preflowers (pistils). Thats just to save space having less clones and all females. either way will work tho bro.

If ya dont mind, imma take a seat up front for this :D

18. #19 Bonglord, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010

Ya know I read it cover to cover again last night, it's all basic stuff and nothing all that in depth. Lots of good pics and illustrations and well put together. I'm gona just throw it out there though and say the basics are important and we could all use a little refresher from time to time regardless of the topic. If you know what you're doing though you probably won't see anything you haven't already read on here 50 times. Edit: I got Jorges bible earlier today on PDF and that thing is massive! Like 500 pages, I'm going to actualy buy it cuz I'm going dizy reading it on my pc.

19. Looks like your off to a good start! Nice setup. Good luck on your maiden voyage.