CFL Feminized White Widow/ 2nd attempt

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by FlowerSermon, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Alright so after having roughly a 1/4 oz of hermie (shitty mostly seedy) bud and a few good hits of hash from my first run, I figured it was time to get me some legit seeds. I just got 5 seeds of seedsman seeds feminized white widow and 1 feminized LA Woman. I just started germinating one white widow seed tonight using the cup of water method.

Since I had some mold trouble in my first go round, I made sure to get into the city to the hydro shop and get some legit soil and nutes. I got bio bizz grow big and big bloom, as well as a mostly perlite local brand soil, that the guy from the hydro shop (who was very helpful) said would be a good soil to use if I didn't have a ph testing kit. I was intending on buying one, but he pretty much told me that where I'm at they are so overpriced it is not worth it, and the non-digital ones he said were not accurate. Although I don't foresee it being a big issue unless I go overboard with the nutes, but I'm not too worried.

I plan on growing one plant this time since it's feminized and I'm going for quality over quantity. I plan on using about 225 watts of cfls (have that much of 2700k and 6500k) which should be more than enough to support one girl. I have my same fan from last time, and I plan to move the lights over a bit to be more effective than last time, especially since I have one plant instead of 2.

I plan to top this time, I feel like it will greatly increase my yield. I want to LST but since my plants were hermies last time, I don't know if I want to fuck with it.

Lastly, since I had hermies last time, and pollen was in the room about a month ago and the room has since been bleached (due to the mold), does that pose any risk that my buds will have seeds? Is there any way to prevent this?

Pics on the way:smoke:

2. Nice, I'll be watching.
    Can't wait for pics.

3. #3 FlowerSermon, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2009
    Alright, so I just planted my seed 2 hours ago after a bit more than 60 hours of germinating with the cup of water method. The taproot was petruding although it wasn't curled upwards. I planted it with the spot where the taproot came out from facing down even though the actual taproot curled up a little bit, thinking it should straighten out. Hope this thing sprouts in a few days!

So I posted a few pics, the first being my setup which right now has 2 45 watt 6500k cfl's, but once it sprouts I will add 3 more 48 watt cfl's. Should I add them all at once or one a day? Does it even matter? The second pic is the biggest (and last) nugget from the hermies. It has tons of seeds, tastes like crap, but it still does get me kind of high, and the hash from it was very good. The next few pics are self explanatory, and the final pic is some local dank I picked up, that appears to be domestic which is nice as most product I get here is smuggled.

Happy to officially make my day 1 since germination post:smoking::smoking::smoking:

Attached Files:

4. Alright so after 3 days my baby has sprouted....and I have the pics to prove it! I just upped my lights to 3 45 watt 6500k bulbs and one 48 watt 2700k bulbs. Anyone know when I should start using the bio-grow. It says on the bottle to use it throughout the entire grow, but I figured I should let the girl grow a bit before I start giving her (organic) nutes.

Day 4 since germination.

Attached Files:

5. Sprout is now just shy of 3 inches. I've been just giving it small amounts of water keeping the soil near the sprout moist. Think I may give a big watering tomorrow and lay off for a bit. Hope you guys enjoy my baby girl. Anyone know when I should start using grow-big?

Attached Files:

6. Sorry I haven't been able to post pics the last few days. Should be able to start updating more frequently by the end of the week. I just gave my girls a little drink yesterday and they responded by punching out a new leaf set. In comparison to my last veg, the leaf sets are growing faster but there is not as much stretching because I have it closer to the light. She overall appears to be healthier than my last 2 plants were at this stage, presumably because I have better soil.

In a few days when the top soil is dry I think I may give my girl a tiny bit of bio grow. It says to give 2-5 mL per L of water, so I will give it .5 mL the first time to see how it can handle it and take it from there. It says on the bottle to apply with every watering, but I think I may go with a cycle of fresh water every 3rd watering as I do not have a ph testing kit, and I feel like fresh water once in a while will help balance out the ph in my soil. They guy at the hydro shop said I shouldn't have any ph problems with the nutes/soil combination I am using, so I'm not too worried but any input would be appreciated.....hope everyone had a happy holiday!

Day 11 since Germination

Attached Files:

7. Hey man, sorry I didn't see this until just now. My only comment about your grow is that the flower pot might be too small when the plant gets bigger. I wish you all the luck on this grow, I'm sure you'll get a nice yield.
    ps, nice seeing you again, even if your face isn't in the picture lol

8. Sub'd, so far lookin great keep it up. How big is that pot your using?

9. the pot im using is probably not big enough, guess I'm going to have to read about transplanting in a bit. It's only about 3 liters, so I probably need to get one about 5 times as big soon.
    Will post again with pics as soon as I get my digital camera.

10. cool man, snds good. they say a gallon a month but mores always better.

11. Here are some more pics of my girl. It looks like the stem is starting to look a little funny, and I am having a small amount of yellowing/curling on the first leaf set. Yesterday I gave the plants some bio-bloom with their watering for the first time. I gave them about .5 mL when it called for 2L, so I doubt it could be nute burn. Regardless I think the next watering I should probably give them fresh water to flush out the nutes.

Could it be possible that they are starting to yellow and the stem is looking weird because I need to transplant to a bigger pot? It could also be because the plant was very close to the lights, but if it was from that then the top of the plant would get light burn, not the bottom. Regardless I moved it another inch away from the light for safe measure.

Lastly, is there a high risk a plant will turn hermie if you transplant? I have no problem buying a bigger pot and transplanting, but I 100% do not want to grow hermies again. I would gladly trigger flowering early and have a small yield, rather than grow hermies again!

Day 17 since germination

Attached Files:

12. Hermies are a result of lighting and stress and also where the seed came from lol. feminzed seeds basically will be hermie or female and regular seeds will either be female or male 50/50 chance. If you allow light to get in and fuck with their night then you will end up with hermies. hermies can also be cause from stress, but if you transplant early enough and don't let it use all of that pot, you'll be fine.

id say veg for another 2 weeks + before switching to 12/12

13. I'm trying to find a tutorial to transplanting on grasscity with no luck, anybody have any links to help me out. I want to make sure I transplant at the right time (when the soil is dry or moist etc) and make sure I don't mess up the roots at all or cause any unwanted stress to the plant.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

14. Just went out and got a 20 Liter pot (which I wish I had from the start) that should be more than sufficient to transplant into. I have read that it's probably best to water the plant slightly before the transplant so that the soil stays more intact and then to give it a big watering to encourage root growth after the transplant. Does this seem correct to everyone?

Will I be fine transplanting it without any superthrive or rootgrow, or anything of that sort, just simply filling the larger pot up halfway with soil, putting in the content of the first pot, and then filling in additional soil needed to fill up the rest? It's that simple right?

15. yeah transplanting is easy just make sure not to rip many roots off. just move it from one to the other man, you'll be just fine.

16. So I transplanted my girl today to a 20 L pot. It seems like everything went smoothly, I didn't do anything too intense. I just put a knive around the edges of the soil, everything stayed together for the most part, and moved it to the new home. After I gave it 2 cups of bottled water. Nothing crazy has happened since the transplant although the plant does look a tad unhappy, tough to explain. The yellowing has actually gotten a bit worse, and I think it may be from using the bio-grow too early possibly?

Also I have another problem that has persisted since I gave the nutes, I only noticed it slightly the last few days but it is more niticable now. It looks like there is a clear white "skin" peeling off of the stem. I'm not sure what it is, I thought it was a spider wed at first but it most definetly is not. It started to come after I gave my plant the nutes. I feel like it is probably nothing but I attempted to get it in the pictures.

The second picture shows the "skin peeling" and the third picture shows the yellowing on the leaves. It is like that on two of the earlier leaves, as well as barely noticable at the tips of other leaves. Any suggestions? Otherwise I am optimistic, I know these things are resilient and I will make it someway or another!

Day 18 since germination (I know I accidentally put 17 2 days ago but it shoulda been 16)

Attached Files:

17. The plant looks great man. The peeling of the stem is totally normal, it's just shedding its skin like snakes do. I wouldn't worry much about the yellowing of the leaves, you probably have some kind of mineral/nutrient deficiency but since it's just the bottom leaves, it's probably very minor. You said you fed it bio-bloom, which sounds like flowering nutes, if so, I think it's the wrong time to be feeding it that. For vegging, you want the N-P-K ratio to be as even as possible and for flowering, you want N and K to be even with P being high. The pot also looks great, its gonna love growing in that. Because of that, I would veg it longer than you originally planned and get a monster plant.

18. Alright, two responses.

First off, I gave it bio-grow, a vegging nutrient with a high concentrate of N. If anything the bottle told me to start feeding it earlier than I did.

Secondly, I will prob go to flowering at day 28, as I don't want the plant to get too tall. Last time when my plants got to be around 3 feet the cfl's barely effected the lower branches. I want my baby to get big, but not tooooo big.

Also, the skin of my stem seemed to peel off, and so far my plant seems not to ave gotten fucked up by the transplant. Barely any growth, but no disaster yet.

19. So it looks like my transplant went just fine. I was debating topping today, but I was afraid of putting too much stress on my girl. I moved the lights to about 4" away from her, since she's only 5 inches tall at this point, so I wanted to stretch her out a bit so it is easier to top on the next left set.

I think I am going to water again in 2 days, with .5mL (25% dose) of the bio-grow again. I think she should be strong enough to take it by now. It says on the bottle to give nutes every watering, but I won't even come close to doing that as I feel like overferting occurs a lot more than underferting.

The browning/curling of my first leaf set has gotten a tad bit worse, and the second leaf set has it a tiny bit. I am not sure what is causing this, it seems to be a minor problem that probably would be fixed if I was using micro nutrients as well (it may be a magnesium deficiency?) but it doesn't seem so serious. Any suggestions?

Day 20 since germination

Attached Files:

20. Alright, so for the most part things look like they are going smoothly. The brown spots got a tiny bit worse on the first leaf set, and have gotten a tad worse on the next leaf set as well. The last two pictures attached below contain the affected areas. It could be a mixture of three things I know I can improve. 1 would be that I should have bought the micro nutrients, in which case if I have the time I may run to the hydro shop (which will probably be a two hour trip since I have no car and can't ask someone for a ride to a hydro shop). It may be a magnesium deficiency from looking at pictures. It could also be that it is a Ph problem since I don't have a Ph testing kit, in which case I will just have to live with it, which isn't the end of the world. Another possibility would be that sometimes at night temps drop a bit, and I need to do a better job of keeping the temps up.

Otherwise the plants have still shown some small growth post transplant, so that is pretty solid. I just fed her today for the first time since I moved her, and gave her 25% dose of the bio-grow. This was about an hour ago, and the stem already looks to be "shedding it's skin" again. Odd, it seems like no big deal as well, last time it happened it didn't really cause any problems. Otherwise she looks pretty healthy and should be going into flowering sometime in the next week or so.

Day 22 since germination....Looks like I am having problems uploading my pics at the moment, will try again later.