smve « organic • SCROG • 400w • closet growing

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by smoove, Dec 23, 2009.

1. #1 smoove, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010

[​IMG]

Welcome to my grow and thanks for stopping by.

2. #2 smoove, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
    So here's the breakdown of my current grow:

Closet Grow: 2' deep X 3' wide X 7' tall

Strains: White Light (Soma Seeds - Bubblegum X White Widow) & Mother's Finest (Sensi Seeds - Haze X Juicy Fruit X Jack Herer )

Light: 400W Ushio Hi-Lux Gro Opti Red + 2 X 60W MegaRay UV Lamp.

Method: Modified Soma Organic Soil Bed

Container: 40 Gallon Food Grade Plastic Container

Medium: Full Circle Soil + Amendments (Perlite, Humified Compost, Worm Compost, Sea Kelp, Fish Protein, Feather Meal, Dolomitic Limestone, Bio-Char, Paramagnetic Rock Dust, Endo/ Ecto Mycorrhizal Fungi)

Nutrients: Homemade Compost, Russian Comfrey, Bat Guano, Soluble Blood Protein, Bone Meal, Soluble Iron Sulfate Powder, Soluble Kelp (Norwegian) Used in various quantities at various growth stages fed as Compost Tea or added directly to soil.

Let's get this party started!
    :smoke:

3. #3 smoove, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
    Unfortunately I'm quite a ways into this grow already. I could post some pictures of the progress up to this point if anyone's interested... otherwise I'll start from where I'm at right now. The seeds were sprouted on Nov 18 in one inch rockwool cubes in soil filled dixie cups, trasplanted into 1 gallon pots, then into their current container on Dec 3. So they've been in this container for almost 3 weeks now and I'm switching to 12/12 tonight! woo wooo!

The 2 plants are in one 40 gallon tub under a 400w HPS. White Light and Mother's Finest are the strains. I haven't done any training yet, but I've topped both plants twice to get an even canopy and have just set up a screen to begin SCROG training over the next month or so.

This is my second soil grow... and I'm going 100% organic. Please feel free to chime in, hit me up for any questions or make any suggestions that you think could assist me with my grow...

PHOTO UPDATE:

Nothing special up to this point... The 2 plants are starting to fill out the closet pretty well now and I just did some undergrowth pruning last night: Left Plant = White Light • Right Plant = Mother's Finest.

[​IMG]

And so the rest of the shots are pretty much just different angles of the same thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thanks for stopping by... I'm really looking forward to this one ;)

4. Just some shots a little closer up. You can kinda see the difference in the 2 strains. The White Light has a flatter more broad and rounded leaf where as the Mother's Finest has very jagged and aggressive looking foliage. The White Light portrays what I'd consider textbook marijuana growth. While the Mother's Finest is a little more unique (from my experience) It seems to spit out thin and spindly leaves that curl out from the top and then unroll themselves flat as they mature.

I'll take some photos specifically to highlight the differences in a future post, but you can get a general idea from these shots.

PHOTO UPDATE:

Mostly of White Light:

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison of the 2 strains.

White Light:

[​IMG]

Mother's Finest:

[​IMG]

The 2 words that pop into my head when I visually compare the two are: soft and aggressive. I'm really looking forward to seeing how differently they smoke.

...and then here's more of a macro of the newly formed leaf on MF un-curling:

[​IMG]

5. Very nice scrog you got going here bro :) I look forward to seeing that screen full.

Merry Christmas :smoking:

6. Thanks bogie. Me too. I've definitely got my eye on the prize.;)

7. yo smoove - love the single dirt bin! Have you ever grown like that before?

that thing must retain water for a nice long time

8. Man im so glad to se your still at it man, good luck with the grow, i hope you get loads of sticky icky

9. Gracias amigo... and no I've never done it like this before. Actually this is just my second ever soil grow. Are you familiar with Soma's Organic Beds? I basically just did a smaller modded version. Focuses on keeping a well aerated root zone... As far as water retention, at this stage I could maybe go 4 days max w/out watering after a heavy soak. I went real heavy on the perlite, and the bottom 4 inches of the tub is hydroton.

DOOB! Thanks man... been a while bro. Hope all is well wit you?

10. I'll be interested in watching this. You're about 3 weeks ahead of me.

11. right on man, thanks for stoppin by. I just checked out your grow... and NBD sounds like winner. Good luck with the rest of your grow.

12. If I'm impressed I might just send ya some...
    till then, Happy Farming!

13. Just wanted to check in with a couple photos. Thought this might be a little more of a unique look at strain differences. Here's a closer look at leaf structure.

White Light:

[​IMG]

Mother's Finest:

[​IMG]

and this one i just thought was kinda neat.

[​IMG]

14. Alght Man I missed your last run untill it was ocer you know the hydro stinky cindy one? One of the most amazing grows I have seen with a single plant! Glad I caught this one wheile its just getting started I am expecting great things. I like the scrog! I am working on my first Scrog grow now inspired by UngleNuggs and Budslinger! Glad to see ya with another journal I have a seat pulled up for sure!

15. So what are the genetics of the two plants? Is the Mothers finest more on the Sativa side and the White light more on the Indica? In some of the close up pics of the MF it looks like more of a sativa type leaf(well to me anyway ofcoarse I have been known to be wrong it could just be the close up shot).

16. I was thinking the same thing stevesgrow just said. The WL looks like a very typical mj leaf. The MF looks like a very typical heavy sativa leaf. with that growth pattern though, she's got to be tamed some....that one might be interesting

17. +rep for the offer. thanks man:hello:

Thanks steve, welcome to the show. I'm still working through the ins and outs of LST and this will be as close to a true SCROG as I've run. As far as the Genetics for the 2 strains go, you were on the right track. Here's as far as I've been able to break down the genetics

White Light:
    Bubblegum X White Widow - Indica dominant.

Mother's Finest: Haze (male) X Juicy Fruit (sister female) X Jack Herer (male) - Sativa dominant.

whatup amoril! Yea, the WL is very soft and pretty and the MF is sharp and aggressive, even to the touch. and as far as needing to be tamed... she knows who's runnin' this show :D actually I've topped her 5 times now and will have to to keep training a couple weeks longer than the WL I imagine and so far I'm more interested to see how the MF turns out.

18. whatup peeps. just checkin in with some new shots. Gettin pretty dense up in there. I might do one more heavy prune this week... but who knows may have to do more.

PHOTO UPDATE:

Canopy from above:

[​IMG]

and the rest from down below :bongin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

werd.

19. :DWOW man , Really impressive. At first the mothers Finest looked a bit funky to me but after seeing lower shots I realize it is healthy. Very interesting , Subscribed for sure K+

20. Whatup hype! yea man the MF does look really funky. But it's only the the tops and the newest growth that looks like that, and every single leaf has started out looking like that since she was a seedling, thin spindly and curly, then as they aged they would flatten out and look normal as you can see from all the undergroth... and i think I have a theory why. It's a combination of 3 things. 1. Genetics 2. low humidity 3. Very high Vapor Pressure Deficit.

The young leaves seem to be coming out a little too quick and struggle to adjust to the combo of low humidity and high VPD... but then after a few days as they grow in, they unroll and fill out nicely. I'm considering running a humidified air intake in the closet... maybe.