"First grow journal: Northern Lights #5 *HARVESTED*"

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Growboy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. #1 Growboy, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

Welcome to my grow journal!

This is my first time ever growing marijuana, or anything for that matter, but it's been great fun learning!

I'm not really into documenting my setup, so I'll just post some pics and so fourth of my progress and if you are curious about something just ask :)

I'll give some basic details for the sake of saving time, though:
    • 4' x 4' x 7' dark room tent
      • 600 Watt High Pressure Sodium w/ Cooltube reflector
      • 3' x 3' Elevated Tray
      • 400+ CFM centrifugal fan
    • 2' x 4' Vegetation Tray
      • 4 bulb 4' T5 florescent light
    • Germination Tray
      • Small single T5 light about 10" from top of rockwool cubes
      • Humidity dome
      • Warming pad and thermostat w/ medium probe
    • Plant Information
      • Strain: Northern Lights #5 from High Grade Seeds
      • Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest w/ some added perlite.
      • Clones: Rockwool with clonex gel and solution, and superthrive.
      • Nutrients used:
        • BioCanna BioVega & BioFlores
        • Rhizotonic
        • Cannazyme
        • SuperThrive
        • Vermi T (compost tea, only used for a week)
      • Containers: Smart Pots (3 and 5 gallon)
      • Water: 5-stage Reverse Osmosis system brings tap from pH 7.0 / 220 PPM down to pH 6.2 / 15 PPM.

I apologize for the summarized early stages, but at the time I started the journal I was 9 days into germination, but here's what's happened, basically:
    Day 1: Soaked seeds for 24 hours in warmed+dark water w/ superthrive
    Day 2: Planted in fox farms ocean forest soil, in germination chamber with small T5 light.
    Day 3-4: Many Sprouts showing/growing
    Day 6: Nice growth, looks healthy..
    Day 7: Transferred to large T5 lights
    Day 9: Performed 7 transplants so far, doing the rest tomorrow.
    For the rest, you'll have to read on in the thread =D

I'll try to post as many videos and pictures as possible!

Videos of growth!! Enjoy:
    Day #4: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfy3bboSJc]YouTube - Growlog 1[/ame]
    Day #4-5: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGE-GmQZNw]YouTube - Growlog 2[/ame]
    Day #5 (But new sprout, had to replant it.. So like Day 3 to it) Best video of these 4 imo!: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48yj977rdw]YouTube - Growlog 3[/ame]
    Day #5: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWPozrIHO4]YouTube - Growlog 4[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. Cool video. what kind of lights r u planning to veg/flower with?

3. #3 Growboy, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    Vegging under 4x 44 watt T5 bulbs
    Flowering under 600 Watt HPS bulb in a Darkroom Tent.
    The future of these cuties will certainly be interesting :)

After today they will all be in 2 gallon smart pots, pictures to follow :)

For now, these are from Day 4:

Attached Files:

4. I see great buds in your future. ;)

5. I have grown various strains and NL#5 is the best high i have experienced. Got the genetics from HGS seed company

6. #6 Growboy, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    Good to hear, I got these from HGS as well :)

I performed 3 more transplants today; All of them are in 2 gallon bags now.

I watered after transplanting with a mix of Vermi T, Rhizotonic, and SuperThrive. I also lined the transplant destination with Mycorrhizae. I also watered them the day before with the same water mix. I hope I'm not overwatering, I just want them to be strong for the transplant.

I couldn't find out in time if it's better for them to go to sleep after a transplant, or get plenty of light.. So I did 6 right before bedtime and the 3 today will get plenty of light.

They look quite healthy, though.

Pics to come later.

7. Some photos! yay!

Day 10

Attached Files:

8. I love your videos. Watching those seedlings undulate back in forth as they honed in on the light source was fascinating. Or maybe I'm just easily entertained.

But it really angers me when stuff goes right over my head. I will have my revenge! :bongin:

9. It's not just you, the vids are awesome. What's the timer on the time lapse? I was trying to figure it out, but it just moves too quickly, it looked to be every minute or so though. Doesn't really matter, it looks great no matter what you did.
    Looks like you're showing some real dedication to this grow, I'm sure your plants will turn out great.

10. Looks good! i think im gonna invest in some T5's after i finish my grow. Ill be following along :smoking:

11. Looking good growboy...I got me some northern light #5 growing big bushy plant .. my bigest as far as height..:hello:

12. Thank you, I love them too :) Unfortunately the plants kinda slow down in growth making growth videos like this very hard to do now.

I have webcams setup to snapshot once a minute, then I choose a framerate to encode like 10, 20, 32 depending on how many frames there are =)
    Hopefully I can compile a few more good ones, we'll see. Right now I have DVR footage of them going LOL but that's about 50 gigs :)

I certainly hope so, they sure consume my every waking thought recently :) It's been great fun so far.

a couple frame caps, sorry for poor quality these aren't from my regular camera.
    The second one has the longest stem of all the others, I fear I didn't bury it deep enough, that is why I have the camera on it.. So I can nanny it :)

Attached Files:

13. just give her a little more dirt..:devious:

14. just a pic of 2 clones.. NL #5 clones well :) they are only 2 weeks old from cloning..

Attached Files:

15. Then you must be doing it right. :smoking:

16. #16 Growboy, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    Those look beautiful! I look forward to seeing their future :)

I sure hope so, they are also a huge source of stress in life too hehe :)

There's so much information on the subject of Horticulture and growing in general that you could spend YEARS and still have plenty left to learn..

So even just trying to learn enough to get started has been a huge adventure.

Luckily I love to learn new things :)

17. Day 10-11

Still no videos yet =( Sorry.
    Coming Soon(TM)

Photos zomg!

Notice the yellow spot(s) on the 3rd pic?

I haven't given these any real nutes yet, only what's in the FF-OF soil + rhizo, superthrive, vermi t.

I want to start them on nutes now but I've watered very recently (due to the transplants) and the soil is still pretty damp under the surface.. I don't want to overwater, but I feel like they want some real food. :(

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

18. I don't see anything I would be too concerned with, a few yellow spots here and there happen sometimes, it's not ideal, but I'm pretty sure it's not a nutes issue, then again, I've never dealt with over-fertilizing any of my plants, just under-fertilizing, so I'm not entirely sure how to recognize that. The soil looks pretty moist in your pics, maybe try backing off on the watering a little bit? It won't hurt, and it might help. It won't make the yellow spots go away, but it might help keep them from spreading.

19. Video! OMG!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrDkkwn160]YouTube - Growlog 7[/ame]

They look so cute!

20. You were right, not quite as exciting as when they were little, but still awesome. Good job.