First cfl grow ( very cheap)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DailyGro-ware, Jun 12, 2009.

1. SO i recently decided to try my hand at growing, AND BOY WAS I SUPRISEd.
    growing is not merely sticking a seed in a container and hoping it grows, its alot of work, a part time job if you will.

Well lets get down to it

SPECS:
    6x 26 watt daylight CFL 6500k
    2x 26 watt soft white CFL 2700k
    1.895 sq feet of growing space (approximately)
    Brinks 7 day timer

So my previous attempt at growing resulted in stretch plants, because i only had 15 watts of cfl light
    BUT the worse part was that it was a flood light style one . . . .. .. . .
    so i tore down all my old grow operations, kept one plant (i got attached) and bought a CRAP load of lights.

I have recently started 4 new plants under the aliases, Sheena, Megan, Sarah, and Jes

Friday June 5th 2009: started germination process

Sunday June 7th 2009: seeds fully germinated; planted under assumed identities: jes, Sarah, Megan, Sheena

Tuesday June 9th 2009: Sheena has shown nice growth, Megan has shown nice growth, sarah has shown nice growth and looks to be on good track, Jes has not yet came out of the soil.

Wednesday June 10th 2009: Jes has shown improvement and has stretched very little, Sheena has stretched a lil bit, Sarah is growing inner leaves, Megan has lost her purple

Some recent pics from June 11th

Attached Files:

2. So i forgot to show you my setup, so here it is.

Attached Files:

3. That's a vast improvement from your original 15 watts, bro ;) New ones looking WAY better than your old ones.

What setting do your run your fan on o_O Don't blow 'em over lol.

4. hiya there, yea umm if you look in the pic displaying my light arrangement you will see tears in the white wall, those are my only ways of ventilation atm, but they provide a nice sweeping effect, that follows down into the container creating a light breeze.
    I can rn my fan at full speed and still be in the good, but i like to keep the noise down so i run it at 1 and it keeps my temps down nicely. Im looking to get a thermometer soon.

5. FUNNY STORY, so when i originally germinated sheena, megan, jes, and sarah, i germinated 5 seeds . . . well i only planned on planting 4 so i planted 4 of them and left the other . . . . . today i opened it, and to my suprise i found a plant with a thriving root system
    but underdeveloped leaves . .
    so I PLANTED IT. and i am updating this now to let you all know that i am up to 6 plants. . . if it survives . . oh and heres my picture for the day . . hahah

:smoking:

6. So today is the . . .12th of june, and its a friday, i think its time for an update
    AS OF TODAY
    THE SEEDLING ARE ONE WEEK OLD
    Im not sure if i should be dissapointed with the size or not.

So heres the pics, im not really sure which girl is which by the pictures but i will try and label them to the best of my knowledge.
    from left to right: Jes, Sarah, Megan, Sheena, the new girl (unamed) , and the old girl

as far as i can tell these are accurate.

Attached Files:

7. Just a few questions and some more pictures . . . .
    What should i do about the yellowing in Sheena? What could this problem be caused by?
    and finally
    some more pics, this time in triplets
    1st pic: Suprise seedling, Jes, Sarah 2nd pic: Megan, Sheena, Old girl

Attached Files:

8. #8 HighOnTheHill, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
    Fertilize the big'un with your veg growth fert. I'd do about 1/4 strength of whatever the instructions tell you to use. Run that through thurr nice and good on the next water. Do that about every other watering and you'll be good for now.

Yellowing would be a nitrogen deficiency. That'll be the N in the N-P-K ratio that's listed on the fertilizer. You want a fertilizer with a high N rating as opposed to the other two. When you flower (bud) you want a high P rating.

As far as the yellowing on Sheena, I'm thinking heat stress, maybe? Get that thermometer ;) Could be the beginnings of light burn as well. Really I wouldn't worry about it too much (Get the thermometer anyway) and just let 'em grow. She'll likely just grow out of it. Not really a problem right now.

9. it could be a ph fluctuation problem... most likely the nitrogen though... flowering needs both p and k

10. hey... do u got y- connectors on that power strip?

11. yes, i have 4 y connectors each spaced one outlet apart, and each runs 2 bulbs for a total of 52 watts on each converter. I've recently had the problem of them falling out onto my plants though
    so im going to tape them there today.
    I was out of town yesterday and had to leave my girls all alone, so i hope i dont come home to wilted plants. (they might have needed water)
    wish me luck. haha
    And aas far as sheena goes, I think she might grow out of it, coulda just been a fluke.

12. So, i had a major incident, which resulted in all plants dying .. . a friend of mine decided to murder them so . . . .i restarted with 1 seed,(feed it all your female feminism, and wish me luck)

13. Sucks brah. Don't let nobody see it and you won't have no problems ;) Nobody but you mayne, nobody but you.

Good luck ;)