1st CFL Closet Grow Soil*

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by icetohot, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I'm using a portable closet I found at target for $40 which I lined the inside with reflective insulation and currently have 2 x 120mm intake fans, 1 x 120mm exhaust in top, and a small desk fan to blow air across the plants and help in ventilation. Temperatures usually stay around 80-85 with humidity ~60% when I'm running the humidifier. However, it has got up to 94 before, so I'm not sure if I need more intake fans or more exhaust. I currently have 6 light holders with a combination of 3x42w daylight, 1x26 daylight, and 2x42w warm light. When they are all on they put out 235w. I plan on adding atleast 3 more when funds come available.

Enough of the setup. What I'm growing is 2 northern lights x skunk feminized and 1 g13 labs power skunk from the attitude seed bank. I germinated the seeds about a week ago. Two days ago, I put them into the pots you see in the pictures filled them with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and have been watering them only to keep the soil somewhat moist. No sprouting yet, but here are the pics of the setup.

I do not currently know the PH of the soil but my ph tester and Fox Farms nutrients will be here soon.

Attached Files:

2. you do know seeds need to germinate in a dark place right?with high humidity

3. I germinated the seeds in a dark place with paper towel method. They grew about 1" taproots and I planted them straight down near the top of the soil.

4. Nice looking setup friend :) It took my White Widow seeds varing times to actually poke through the dirt. I also used the paper towel method of germination, then planted 'em in FFOF. Most of them were up within 3 or 4 days if I remember correctly.

I just started 2 Jack Herer's from seed as well. One of these guys seemed to shoot up almost instantly - a few hours after it was planted there was already a sprout sticking up.

Now you mention that you're watering them and such - my (very noobish) only advice, which I'm sure you're aware of, is be careful not to overwater them. I've had great success with putting the soil in the pots, watering the soil, letting it drain for 15 or 20 minutes, then planting the seeds. Beyond that, I didn't water until a good while after they had all sprouted - I would spray the inside of the humidity dome when all the water droplets were gone.

Regarding your fans, have you tried switching one of your intakes to exhaust? This way, you'll create a nice little vacuum effect by exhausting more air than your fans are pulling in. This will also make it easy to add a carbon filter later on, since you won't have to worry about your intake fans pulling in more air than your exhaust fan can handle.

To lower temps, maybe try only using half of your lights or so until the little green monsters have a solid sprout and a couple sets of leaves.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching your grow progress. You have a nice setup, it's looking good! Keep it up

5. Thanks coffee for your advise, I had no success with any of them sprouting once I put them in the soil. I have one bagseed in a pot under the lights right now hopefully it will sprout soon. I've also got another 6 germinating so hopefully I'll have some growing soon.

Meanwhile, I light proofed the entire portable closet, added another exhaust fan, and created a makeshift reflector placed above the cfl. Temps are down around 80 now with high humidity.

Here's some more pics

Attached Files:

6. It would just be how ya said it man ....
    Kinda weird if ya ask me lol ...
    Nice comment lol ...

7. #7 EazyGreen, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
    Things are looking good here man ...

Like the set up so far, Looks really clean ....

When you say Closet you mean a portable grow room right ? Nvm I went over your writings again and figured it out lol ... Good stuff ... Nice and cheap ... Good way 2 go first time around ...

Keep up the green man ...

I'll be watching ... Pm Me if ya need anything ... I help to the best of my ability's or send ya to someone who can help ...

Best Regards EazyGreen ....:D:D:D

8. Most of the light come off the sides of those bulbs, see if you can customize those and turn them youll get more light,.,,,,IMO

9. I'd like more info on this portable closet you're using. That sounds like just what I'm looking for.

10. Hey i just started growing for the first time 2 weeks ago, i have almost the same light setup as you. The clip lights you have with the reflectors on create alot more heat it seems with the reflectors on (the cfl ballast gets really hot). I just removed mine for the 24/7 light schedule.
    Good luck with the grow man, you setup looks clean as hell.

11. You are a cry baby ....
    Leave this guys thread alone ...
    All you needed from all that shit above was

Don't gum up peoples threads with other bullshit lol ...
    Not trying 2 be rude but listen to yourself ...

12. #12 icetohot, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
    I found it at my local target store.

Here's a link to an identical one in blue, mine's white
    [​IMG]
    http://www.target.com/Neu-Home-Delu...ie=UTF8&node=16297291&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Cost $40, be careful the cover is super thin and will tear easily but the support structure made from thick plastic and with zip ties, its pretty sturdy. The closet rack meant for hanging clothes works well to suspend lights and such.

13. He has a really discreet setup, when the closet door is closed it is almost impossible to tell its in there. It also keeps a great temp nice setup

14. This closet thing seems sweet. How did you go about light proofing it? I wish they made grow tents that looked similar haha

15. Reflective insulation, chrome duct tape / tinfoil tape and a black towel over the zipper. It was a lot of work though fixing every light leak

How much should I be watering these big pots, they keep drying out.

16. Water them when you put your fingers into the soil and it is dry approximately 2 inches dry. That is how I do it anyway.

17. Pic Update: ~ 1 day into dirt, 3 days in germination

Looks like the mountain dew can feminized northern lights / skunk seed is about to sprout!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also pics of the new exhaust added 4" fan w/ dryer vent attachment.

[​IMG]

18. Lookin Good man! Looks like your well on your way. I thin kyou will find that you like working with the CFL's. I like to drop a few down along side of the plants to get rid of any shadows. The udergrowth gets very thick. Best of look Bro..:p

19. Update:
    Day 01 of Veg

Hope you guys like the pics, I'm seeing a little bit of purple on the edge of one leaf on the NLxS plant

Currently under:
    2 x 65w Cool White 3500k
    2 x 43w Daylight 6500k
    2 x 23w Daylight 6500k
    Total = 262 actual watts

Temps ~ 75*f - 83*f
    Humidity ~ 30% - 60%

NLxS plant is 5 days old but we'll call it day 1 anyway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bagseed two days since sprouted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overview
    [​IMG]

20. Nice Sprouts. These are sure to produce the big budz! Lookin good keep the pics comin