Vision AK-49 Auto Pyramid Auto NYC - 150 Watt HPS Grow (Updated PICS 2/18)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AutoAntix, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Happy Valentines Day, here are my loves as of today.

GroupShot_2-14-2014.jpg

AK is around 9 inches tall today and has sort of grown to face one side due to me not rotating the pot as often as I should. Whoops. I'll correct it over time. The last photo shows a preflower next to some stipules along the main stem. This plant has answered my prayers and is nowhere near as bushy as the NYC.

Auto AK-49
    AK-49_2-14-2014-1.jpg AK-49_2-14-2014-2.jpg AK-49_2-14-2014-3.jpg

My auto NYC is doing as well as ever and is about 1ft 3 inches tall today.

Auto NYC
    Diesel_2-14-2014-1.jpg Diesel_2-14-2014-2.jpg Diesel_2-14-2014-3.jpg

2. #42 AutoAntix, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    Also, do you guys' plants ever "sweat?" Like if two leaves stick together is it common it find water between them? Just curious.

3. I have yes. Not lately though.

4. Just make sure it doesn't stay like that, because of mold and ect

5. Good to know, I figured it wasn't anything. It almost always dries up within the first couple minutes of my light being on so I'm not too concerned.

6. Do you plan on transplanting to bigger pots?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Absolutely not at this stage. I've always had an opinion / theory that people do a lot of unnecessary things with autos and I wanted to see if I'm correct or sadly mistaken. ​I'm doing this grow bare bones specifically to see how these strains do with little extra care or many extra techniques applied to gauge what is necessary in the future to increase their yields and whatnot as well as to just see how they grow "wild." 

I had toyed with the idea of bigger pots earlier on but they really exploded in growth lately so it's probably best that I didn't put them into the 3 gallon pots I was going to as I've only got a 3-foot high space and I will soon be out of vertical space and my AK-49 has yet to even show pistils! I'll post new pics later or tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

8. #48 AutoAntix, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    GroupShot_2-18-2014.JPG
    AK-49(left) is on day 22 from seed. Auto NYC(right) is on day 30 from seed.

Auto NYC:
    Auto-NYC_2-18-2014_1.JPG Auto-NYC_Bud-Sites_1.JPG Auto-NYC_Bud-Sites_2.JPG

Auto AK-49:
    AK-49_2-18-2014.JPG
     ​
     ​
    Vertical Space Becoming Limited:
    Vertical-Gap2.JPG

Canopy:
    Canopy_2-18-2014_1.JPG

9. Damn they are looking nice! I think it would help your yield if you put them in bigger pots! I would transplant one and see how the root ball is, bigger pots will make bigger plants maximizing the yield...

10. Thanks man I always like getting feedback (and especially compliments) on my grow. Makes it a lot more fun during the wait for harvest day.

My next go around I'm thinking about doing a single Blue AutoMazar in a 3 or 4 gallon smartpot, same soil, same approach but with some extra amendments to the soil and possibly a scrog to see how my makeshift chamber works when all the energy is focused on one plant. I'm excited to grow some Dutch Passion genetics, especially of the Auto Mazar variety due to their yield potential.

My future plans for the box include adding in two 125 watt CFL grow bulbs as soon as next week to give some extra light to the lower branches and round out spectrum - also for use when vegging new seedlings without the HPS for the first week or so. This will likely force me to install a fan or two, but that was a plan I had been getting around to for a while now anyway.

Overall so far I'm very pleased with how well this has all gone and how simple it has been. Autos are really all of the fun with about 60% less worry and for a personal stash supply, they're perfect.

11. Seems like you have a full plan ahead of you that will help with your rainy day jar... Bigger I think the two cfls will be a great upgrade to your grow and they don't run that hot so you might not have a problem with heat. Glad to hear everything is going good! Keep it up your ladies look beautiful!!!

12. Had a shit-my-pants moment today when my girl accidentally unplugged the grow box and my HPS wouldn't fire back up.

Luckily it was right around lights out time so I had no choice but to let it cool off and that's all it needed to start up again after the unplugging. I was panicked since I don't have a back up bulb at the moment. Lesson learned!

I've done a fair bit of LST on the NYC and only on the main stalk of the AK. Opens them up nicely and gives them room to grow another half a foot at least before needing another tie down.

New pics will be up in a day or two. This weekend at the latest.

13. If you read the sunburst Manuel it says to let it cool down for a few minutes before turning back on... Keep in mind for next time

14. IMG_0314.JPG

Quick update as promised. We are on days 26 for the AK-49 (left) & 34 for the NYC (right). Both girls are suffering from an accidental over watering the other day so they are a little droopy. They've also been LST'd at their highest points to keep them beneath my light's max height. Glad to be in the home stretch now though as the bud sites are really starting to look promising on my auto New York City. Pistils just started shooting out on my AK so she isn't far behind! Can't wait for the buds themselves to come in and fatten up.

Enjoy!

<--AK-49          |          New York City -->
    IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

Some bud site shots (all from NYC plant):
    IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0312.JPG

15. nice dude i literally just bought that exact light on Amazon! i was skeptical after buying it though because people were saying thier useless at that size but seeing your grow put my worries to ease lol. few questions though:
    how big is you're grow box side wise? mines just 21 inches which so I'll only have a inch on each Side of the light to work with and was wondering if i could fit two plants in it.

does the lamp itself have places to hook up clips for using hangers?

how far is your light from the plants?

16. #56 AutoAntix, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    Hey Kronical,

My throw box is 3.5ft tall, 3 feet wide, and only a foot deep. I haven't had any problems with the shallowness of the box, my problem has been keeping them short enough, even with LST. If you're also cramped height wise I would only grow one so that it can be tied down.

The light comes with hooks, chains, and has slots built into the fixture to hang from. My concern for you would be to make sure you also ventilate the box if you don't have much room for the heat to dissipate around it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. thanks for your input!
    well dam just bought 15$ hangers o well lol and its actual 4 feet tall 21 inches wide and 21 inches deep. its actual a kohls transformer box (like the big ones on poles) so besides the holes where the box bolted to the pole (which I'm using as intake holes) its absolutely light Proof. thiers a 3.6inx 7in square hole on the front where i for now have a thermaltake PC fan that 4x4 that i just sanded the top and bottom and squeezed in their. i also have a clamp personal fan I'll probally clamp to one of the bolts inside. I'll definittly be watching this because your grows looking amazing!
    how much heat is your light pushing out?

18. and how fardo you keep the light away?

19. Well, I have a different 150 HPS and it is safe as close as 4 inches. And thats pushing it. I have a fan blowing over my bulb.

Good ro hear from you Auto, was wondering what was up.

20. It doesn't really put out THAT much heat, but I'm dealing with outdoor temps between 10 and 50 where I'm at right now. The box stays a nice 70-80 degrees tops I'd say though. You definitely don't want your tops closer than a couple inches though, you can judge by the back of your hand, if it's too hot after a couple seconds for your hand, you can bet it's too hot for the plants.