noob micro cfl

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by elroyyboy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. #1 elroyyboy, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    Well, I'm starting a journal.  I've posted a couple times in absolute beginners and gotten some great feedback. 

The seed is unknown bagseed from a sack o dank I found about a 5-6 weeks ago.  I was happy to find a seed. 

Soil:  FFOF w/ 1/3 perlite and 1 cup dolomite lime.  PH watered soil "cooked" for about 10 days before using. 
    Water:  RO water, 4-7 ppm TDS,
    Nutes:  Advanced Organics Go Box, about 4 oz of 10-4-1 bat guano added to soil. 
    Lights:  200 actual watts CFL, appropriate color for veg and flower.
    Container:  Upended 35 gallon Rubbermaid
    Fans:  3 4" PC fans and 2 3" pc fans for exhaust.  Approximately 40 sq inches of passive intake. 
               1 6" fan blowing directly on pictured plant.  1 4" USB fan growing on other plants in box.
    Temp:  consistent 75-77 F running 24/7 lights
    Humidity:  running about 30-33% RH, raised twice/day with small humidifier to 50% RH.

First pic is right after first transplant, approx. 12/3/2013
    Second Pic 12/9/2013
    Last pics, today, 27 days since it peeked through the soil. 

Watering as needed using finger in the soil test. 

Only given nutrients once (cal mag, AO roots builder, some mykos rhyz) in and out pH were both 6.5
    EC in was about 150 and EC out was around 500. 

Watered today with RO water, no nutes, pH/d to 6.5 in and out.  EC in 007 EC out around 450. 

It's in a 3 gallon bucket that I drilled 50 holes in the bottom and two rows of holes around the bottom outside edge of the bucket up to about 2" from the bottom.  I put 2 inches of lava rocks in the bottom separated from soil by a piece of landscape cloth to facilitate drainage. 

Oh yeah, I meant to put a small ruler to provide some scale.  The plant is 10" across top to bottom of pic and about 6-7 left to right in the pic. 

Hope it's going to be a girl. 

P1030651.JPG
    P1030655.JPG
    P1030664.JPG P1030663.JPG

2. Watered on Day 27 and it's exploding today, day 29. 

I've added a few red spectrum bulbs in the cab to aid in the upcoming switch to 12/12.  I took all her bobby pins (wire hanger LST devices) out today to let her stretch a little to continue LST tomorrow. 

I watered approx. 1 gallon two days ago and it's not yet dry at 2" but it's not moist any longer either. 
    Temps:  73-79 over past 24 hours at 24/7
    RH around 35% with no apparent affects on plant. 

Looking happy. 
    P1030672.JPG

Some baby pics from this morning. 
    P1030677.JPG

3. Day 30.  Preflower?  Or... am I having a 6 year old elroyyboy flashback about opening presents before Christmas? 

P1030683.JPG

4. High folks,
        No changes in soil or light but I did water today with 1 gal RO/Ph 6.5 water (after nutes and ph Adjust) 1/2 dose cal mag, 1/2 dose General Organics Bio Thrive Grow,
     1/2 dose GO Bio Root, 1/2 dose GO bio weed, 1/2 dose GO bio marine. 

pH/PPM of solution in:  6.5, 450
    ph/PPM of RO:  6.5 660
    200 Actual Watts CFL (mixed red/blue spectrum)
    Temp 75-78
    RH 35-40%

As you can see I'm trying to be very cautious about over fertilizing the plant.  It's still under about 200 actual watts CFL and approximately 14" x 10".  I've got some female preflowers and it's still under heavy LST and about 5 inches off the soil. 

I really want to flip to 12/12 but am trying to be patient.  It seems very happy! 

Merry Christmas, or whatever you're celebrating. 

35DAYS.jpg

DAY352.jpg

5. Anyone? anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? 

6. well, she's 39 days old today.  Been in 12/12 for 3 light cycles now, and she's growing! 

Using General Organics nutes and am happy with them.  The flower nutes do bring a gallon of RO H2O down considerably and I have to pH UP quite a bit. 

I fed today with 1 gal RO water, 5mg CalMag, 5mg Bio Thrive Grow, 3ml bio root, 3ml Bio Weed,
    pH in and out was 6.5
    PPM In was 550, out was around 600. 

She's grown about 4 inches vertically in the past 3 days and seems to be very happy. 

day39.jpg

day392.jpg

7. Lookin great man nice and bushy keep it upSent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. [quote name="dyse702" post="19244795" timestamp="1388279585"]Lookin great man nice and bushy keep it upSent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Thanks dude, I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I see in Absolute Beginners forum getting 35 posts on a two leafed sprout and have to remind myself that following instructions I read here keeps me from getting embarrassed over a 4 day old plant that's been fed 6 times and is under a night light. :)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. [quote name="elroyyboy" post="19245099" timestamp="1388282956"]Thanks dude, I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I see in Absolute Beginners forum getting 35 posts on a two leafed sprout and have to remind myself that following instructions I read here keeps me from getting embarrassed over a 4 day old plant that's been fed 6 times and is under a night light. :)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]Meaning I guess I'm doing ok! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yeah bro I know how you feel my first grow was the same way I even posted "this Is my last post till someone responds" lol. I'm on my second grow and didn't even do a Jo urnal for this one. Here's a pic of mine about a week into flowering give or take (didn't keep track at all) Sent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

11. [quote name="dyse702" post="19245146" timestamp="1388283538"]Yeah bro I know how you feel my first grow was the same way I even posted "this Is my last post till someone responds" lol. I'm on my second grow and didn't even do a Jo urnal for this one. Here's a pic of mine about a week into flowering give or take (didn't keep track at all) Sent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Wow. That's bushy. Mine is so close to the ground with so many different tops from the LST snaking around I'm concerned about getting enough light on it with CFLs. I think I'm going to build a walled box that controls the width of the plant. I like the white Masonite wall board for walls because it's white, cheap, and easy to clean. Still worried about it being too bushy for my light setup. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. [quote name="dyse702" post="19245146" timestamp="1388283538"]Yeah bro I know how you feel my first grow was the same way I even posted "this Is my last post till someone responds" lol. I'm on my second grow and didn't even do a Jo urnal for this one. Here's a pic of mine about a week into flowering give or take (didn't keep track at all) Sent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Are you gonna repot that plant? I'm a noob at mj growing but I repotted a plant 1/2 that size last week from 1 gallon pot to 3 gallon pot and it was totally root bound in the 1 gal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. [quote name="elroyyboy" post="19245406" timestamp="1388286711"]Are you gonna repot that plant? I'm a noob at mj growing but I repotted a plant 1/2 that size last week from 1 gallon pot to 3 gallon pot and it was totally root bound in the 1 gal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]Nah imma jus leave it in that. Its already gonna be too tall for the container as it is. I want it to stop growing and jus bud up lolSent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. [quote name="dyse702" post="19245455" timestamp="1388287351"]Nah imma jus leave it in that. Its already gonna be too tall for the container as it is. I want it to stop growing and jus bud up lolSent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]I've read on the forums about LST into flowering. Read up and tie her down. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Meh I jus topped it and let her do her thing. I got a scrog if it gets too tallSent from my XT1030 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Keep tying her down.  At this point I put screws around the outside of the rim to tie the plant to and cork-screw the plant around the pot.  This will give your plant a high exposure to the light.  Any subsidary branches that stick up above the canopy get supercropped down to size.  I don't stop pulling her down till she is no longer growing enough to tie down anymore.    This promotes lower node growth and less vertical growth.

It really helps with CFL grows.  Grow it wide and keep it horizontal to give maximum light exposure.  Keeping it as short as possible means that all of the plant gets light and not just the top.  My first grow, I stopped LST when I changed to 12/12.  The plant went from about 5-6" in height to 33-34" with lots distance between the nodes and buds.  My current grow has reached it's peak at 10" from the soil.

IMG_5660.jpg IMG_5662.jpg

17. [quote name="8ishop" post="19245752" timestamp="1388291174"]Keep tying her down. At this point I put screws around the outside of the rim to tie the plant to and cork-screw the plant around the pot. This will give your plant a high exposure to the light. Any subsidary branches that stick up above the canopy get supercropped down to size. I don't stop pulling her down till she is no longer growing enough to tie down anymore. This promotes lower node growth and less vertical growth.It really helps with CFL grows. Grow it wide and keep it horizontal to give maximum light exposure. Keeping it as short as possible means that all of the plant gets light and not just the top. My first grow, I stopped LST when I changed to 12/12. The plant went from about 5-6" in height to 33-34" with lots distance between the nodes and buds. My current grow has reached it's peak at 10" from the soil.[​IMG] IMG_5660.jpg[​IMG] IMG_5662.jpg[/quote]Wow. Is that pic under CFL? What lights are you using? ThxSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. #19 8ishop, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    The plant is currently under a 300w LED rig but I've only had that for a week now.  Until then, the plant was grown under 200w of CFL.  Here are some of the last photos I got of it before I got the LED.  These were taken 4 days before I got the LED.  I pulled the plant down a little lower since these shots but not much.  This is basically the end of the stretch.

IMG_5616.jpg IMG_5598.jpg  

As you can see in the top down shot,  The way I LST, I move all my bud sites to the outside and form a circle of bud and the middle is left open so all the fan leaves have a place to hang out and sunbathe in.  You can move your plant around the pot or you can move it away from the pot.  It's like a scrog without the screen.

19. Hey man,

Your grow is looking very good. I am using very similar soil medium/nutrient line up and my plants love it. I'm going to try and add some of General Organic's Ancient Forest to my next grow, supposedly great stuff.

I also agree highly with 8ishop about LST, although I take it a step further by employing a combination of LST and HST. 

I recommend buying some MycoGrow as it's a great rhizosphere soil amendment which is very cheap and will last you for a million grows (http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-oz.html). I've had extremely good success with the product in terms of general soil and plant health. 

Anyway, keep posting pictures and good luck. If you can afford it I would look into a low watt HPS set up, perhaps 150 or 250 watts depending on what your space can handle. It would make a major difference, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with CFLs!