Black Dog LED True 960W Organic Super Lemon Haze 4x4 Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ChrisStomata, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Strain: Green House Seed Co. Super Lemon Haze. 
    Soilless Medium:  Coco, Perlite & Lava Rock. 
    Organic Nutrient Lines: 
    •  Reverse Osmosis Water
    • General Organics
    • Fox Farms
    • Advanced Nutrients
    • Cutting Edge Solutions
    • VermaGreen Organics
    • Down to Earth Veganics
    • Great White
    • HygroZyme
    Setup:
    • Secret Jardin DR120 48"x48"x80"
    • Titan Controls Atlas 7 Monitor & Regulator
    • Blackstar Lighthouse Hydro LED's (Veg Only)
    • 4 x Black Dog LED BD240-U

Lights.jpg
    Lights1.jpg

This is a trial grow of a true 1000 Watt LED grow in a 4'x4' grow space (well... 960 true watts.  It was difficult to find a configuration that would work in this small of a space.  1920 Watts of LED's!)  Thank you to the guys at Black Dog LED for helping me out with this lighting setup.  I will be using four (4) Black Dog LED BD240-U's.  They are designed to cover a 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' grow space and I packed 4 into a 4'x4' grow tent.  I chose to not use one giant LED light rather I went with four smaller ones to help with evenly saturated PAR over the entire grow canopy.

The strain is Green House Seed Co. Super Lemon Haze.  I have been growing this strain for a couple years now and have narrowed down and selected mother plants that have the look, smell, taste, and potency one would expect from this "Super" strain.  These two plants were vegged for three months in three gallon smart pots to help build a massive root system.  The bigger the roots - the bigger the fruits!  They were then transplanted into ten gallon pots and vegged for one more month prior to flower.

Veg2.jpg
    Veg3.jpg
    Veg4.jpg
    Veg5.jpg
    Veg6.jpg
    Veg7.jpg
    Veg8.jpg

The two plants are just under 5 feet tall when they went into the flower tent.  Due to height restrictions of the grow tent the plants were smashed down with netting into a SCROG.  You'll notice that I did not detail my exact nute schedule.  My feeding schedule is designed specifically for my strain and setup.  Nutes are timed to the day so the plant uptakes and implements them on the exact day of the flower cycle they are needed.  I have spent thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours and killed dozens of plants to nail down my schedule.  I am not willing at this time to give that away - sorry (not for sale either). 

Please stay tuned as this journal will be updated weekly throughout the entire grow & harvest.  I will be lab testing the results of this grow to determine how the lighting effects the potency.  Stay Tuned!

2. You've most definitely have got yourself some bushes homie! I'll watch this one for sure.

3. [SIZE=medium]Before I get too far into this grow journal I wanted to take a minute and explain to you my background, experience, and reason why I grow with LED's.  Just like there are a hundred ways to skin a cat there are just as many ways to grew fine medical cannabis.  I do not work for any company/manufacturer that I will discuss.  I am a hobbiest - that's it.  I am licensed by my state to pursue my passion and I adhere to every state law and regulation.  Though your thoughts and opinions on LED's may differ from mine I hope that my experience can shed "more usable" light on this specific lighting technique.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I bought my first LED light panel in 2007 when LED's were starting to pick up momentum.  It was trash to say the least!  I then did what many others did at the time and purchased a 90W UFO from China on eBay.  These lights worked decent in veg but again were trash in flower.  I think it was a Lighthouse Hydro 90W LED light that I finished my full first grow with.  While the yield was less than impressive the quality was actually quite surprising - I was hooked.  Over the next few years I bought, grew with, and then sold several manufactures of LED grow lights to include: Blackstar Lighthouse Hydro, ProSource, Grow LED Hydro, Hydro Grow LED, Blackstar Chrome, LumiGrow, and now Black Dog LED.  Yes! I have spent way too much money on this journey.  The reason I am telling you this is so that you don't have to waste the same amount of money to settle on a killer LED light as I did.  (Once I am finished with this grow I will probably try another manufacturer - just for the experience)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]First, let's debunk a myth that LED manufactures have created to sell you LED's - "LED Watts" are NOT comparable to "True Watts".  "LED Watts" are what ever the manufacturer feels their light is comparable too.  "True Watts" are the actual amount of power a light uses.  The idea that you will get a better yields with a LED the pulls 500 true watts compared to a traditional 1000W HID was created to sell you lights and make them $$$.  Just because you put a 2x magnifying lens over a diode does not cause 2x the absorbable light and double the yield.  Watts only measure how much power a light/bulb draws while output depends on the how the technology of that light/bulb uses that power.  Now having said that, 400 true LED watts, of quality light, is superior to 400 watts of the best HID.  This is due to how that watt of energy is converted into the output of Photosynthetically Active Radiation or PAR (I could talk for hours about PAR but there are plenty of more qualified individuals on the web already doing that - check out the great work that Nate from Growershouse.com has done with his PAR charts).  Through fined tuned spectrums, LED lighting manufacturers have been able to deliver more usable PAR per watt than what you get from your traditional HID's.  Another way to look at it is if a true watt of LED and a watt of HID are both $.10 from your power company - wouldn't you want to receive the most usable light for your $.10?  I do.  With more usable light per watt, you will see a positive difference in your final product of true LED watts over HID watts.  Now speaking based solely on my LED & HID growing experience.  With high quality (not necessarily most expensive) LED lights over the same true wattage of HID's, you should see an increase in yields (5-20%), a slight increase in finishing times (2-5 days), a noticeable increase in density, a noticeable increase in trichome and terpene production, noticeably tighter internodes, and a night and day difference with heat.  Do not be disappointed when you don't see a 200% increase in yield - it will NEVER happen.  It is my opinion that a quality LED light must pull over, at a bare minimum, 750 true watts to have comparable results to a 1000W HID.  Manufacturers can show me all the charts they want but if everyone who tried LED's truly got 2-3 times the yield in watts, there would be no market for HID lighting.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In conclusion, more "usable light" per watt is why I have chosen to grow with LED lighting.  Now, I would be remiss if I did not tell you some negative drawbacks from LED lighting.  First, cost - damn nice ones are expensive!  Second, canopy coverage - LED lights have incredible PAR output in the center of the light and dissipate rapidly towards the edge and beyond.  This is the very reason why I went with four smaller Black Dog models over one large one (LED lights are missing out on the hood technology of HID's).  Third, heat - while heat is not an issue in the spring, summer, and fall; LED lights do not create enough heat to maintain an adequate temperature in the winter months.  A heater will be needed for your grow room.  Fourth, cost - damn nice ones are expensive!     [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Any input from your experience with LED lights is more than welcome.  I will post my reviews of the light manufacturers that I have used in the past on a future post.  Happy Growing![/SIZE]

4. Very nice indeed following this for sure

5. Nice indeed, will be following and good luck.

I was pondering a similar setup. But I was thinking two 750s in a 5x5 tent. Still trying to decide everything and of course saving.

6. Week 1 Flower:
    View attachment 127307
    View attachment 127306
    View attachment 127308

[SIZE=11pt]Just finished week 1 in flower.  It looks like the plants really love their new lights.  This is actually my second attempt to start a grow with these lights.  When I grew with HID there was a hardening-off period when I first introduced the plants to the 1000W lamp.  I never had to do this with any of the other LED lights I have grown with until now.   I slowly introduced these two plants to the Black Dog lights and have had no signs of shock.  Learn from my mistake – if you are going grow with this intense of a LED light setup, you must harden-off your plants to the lights. [/SIZE]
    View attachment 127310
    View attachment 127309

[SIZE=medium]I had to smash a net down over the top of the plants to help get some space between the canopy and the lights.  Super Lemon Haze usually triples in size throughout the flower cycle and will fill in the empty spaces of the tent in no time.  On day 6 there are a number of pistils starting to show.  Off to a great start![/SIZE]

7. Looking nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Big Fan of Black Dog!
    Looking good, I'm using 1 Black Dog Micro-U and very happy with my results.
    I

9. [SIZE=medium]LED Grow Light Reviews:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]As previously discussed I have grown with a number of LED manufacturers.  The following is my personal review of those lights:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Blackstar Lighthouse Hydro:         [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               I currently grow with their High Output Veg lights and love them.  I have several of the 90W and 240W models.  They are a great light for a great price.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               I have used their 50W, 90W, 135W, and 240W flowering LED lights.  They are a great starter light and will produce some decent buds.  If you are on a budget and want a nice closet grow light, then these lights will work great.  I had a great grow with their 240W and would pack another tent with them if they were designed for a square tent and not a rectangular one. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               Chrome Model:  I started a grow with their 180W model and after a few weeks got rid of it.  It was trash and I will never grow with their Chrome Models again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]ProSource Worldwide:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               I did a grow with their 180W Illuminator Jumbo model.  The light was good and I got a solid harvest.  The biggest drawback was the heat.  I grow with LED lights to avoid heat issues and this light created almost as much heat as an HID.  I grow in a square tent and try to avoid UFO or rectangular lights.  For the price I did not feel the pros outweighed the cons.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]LumiGrow:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               I did a grow with their 325 Pro model.  It is one of the best LED lights I have grown with.  The results were more than impressive.  I also loved the ability to moderate power and colors.  I chose not to continue to grow with them because of the lights footprint.  It does not cover a large enough area.  I thought about getting another one for the tent but they are too pricey for the coverage you get.  I don't really like the design either.  It seems like a waste of space.  Again, if you get your hands on one you will not be disappointed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hydro Grow LED:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]               I have grown a number of grows with the Penetrator 189X-Pro Extreme and currently use it for a micro grow I am doing.  Yes, I said micro grow.  Their website states that it is the best LED light for a 3'x3' grow tent.  They are high!  The PAR readings on it show that there is almost NO PAR out to the 3 foot mark.  This light is great for 2'x2' and that's it.  You will get some killer shit from this light but for $1300 and for the amount of coverage you get - it is an absolute rip off.  The trichome and terpene production from this light is killer!  I thought about upgrading to their 336 model but can't spend that kind of money on a light that only draws 500W and only gets good PAR readings in the first 3'x3' area of coverage. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I hope my experience with these different manufactures helps you decide on the right light for you.  [/SIZE]

10. Week 2:

View attachment 127494
    View attachment 127497
    View attachment 127495
    View attachment 127499

Just finishing up week 2 with incredible results.  The plants just love these lights.  They are filling up the tent and are in full stretch mode.  Though they are in stretch, I am seeing really tight internodes (more so than I have ever seen before growing this strain).  I am also seeing plants on day 13 that look like they are on day 18.  Pistils are in abundance and little buds are already forming.  I am also seeing trichomes forming on a few of the sugar leaves!  Loving this grow!

View attachment 127491  

View attachment 127490  

View attachment 127492

View attachment 127496  

View attachment 127493

11. I love how the leaves are standing at a 45 degree angle almost like they are praising the lights.

12. Looking good. I hear blackdog lights are Mars II lights from LG LED SOLUTIONS with a blackdog badge anyhow im planning to get 4 1200w mars II leds which is actually 500-600w each. Do you think it'll be enough for a 2m by 2m grow tent?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. It looks like the light panel might be the same but the housing and back panels are different. Anyways, your light setup will crush a 2mx2m grow space. Just remember to introduce your girls to the lights slowly so they don't go into shock. The 5w diodes are intense!

14. Yeah hope so, do you mean introduce them slowly by having the lights high above the canopy n lowering thrn down slowly? Sorry im a noob n can you recommend me a good hydroponic system which requires less maintenance

15. Start practicing no easy mode

16. I dunno what system to get to start practicing I might just do a hempy or autopots

17. I was cleaning underneath my canopy, cutting all the branches that are not receiving much light to focus the plants energy on other bud sites, and decided to give re-vegging clones from flower a try.

View attachment 127837 <div> View attachment 127836

Anyone with experience with this please reply.

</div>

18. Its referred to as "monstercropping". Treat them as any other clone. When they finally do take hold and start to veg the branching will be substantial.

19. Awesome thanks!