First Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Grow4fun46, Jan 21, 2013.

1. kay, I got new seeds, I soaked my RW cube in a 5.7pH solution, I then placed a couple seeds atop of a cube ( soaked in same solution ) 70% submerged, so the seeds won't drown while still being wet, and allowing limited airflow as to avoid molds and bacteria growth. Sound good so far? Will start a Journal forum soon with this as into. Got a total of ~5 to germ, they are in femed, so some will most likely be makes and cut. I have 3 23w 5000k CFL total of 15,000k. I am 5 days after sprout. They stretched a bit while I was away for the weekend. But I water with tap (24 of hours sitting), I'm on an 18/6 light schedule, I'm going to get a small fan to put on them, to strengthen them up. Any comments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. One week after sprout, the newer leaves are growing well! I've been letting their soil dry just a bit then watering to encourage root "exploration" and growth. I plan on getting white poster board (non glossy) to line the area with for ~70% lumen reflection, my lights are now scheduled at 20/4, is 4hours an adequate rest period? It's all just bag seed, so no sure strain, I've got a few I'm going to be experimenting with different ferts/light source and such. At about 2-3 weeks I plan on starting topping. At 4-5 weeks I plan on flipping them if they seem vegged enough and to pick out any males -.-. Any questions or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

3. Week one! Day 7

Attached Files:

4. I am at day 10 since sprout, lighting is at 20/4, I have 3 CFL's, 23w 800 lumens per, 5000k per. The light sits 2-3 inches above the plants consistently, and goes up as they grow. Water is
    At about every other day. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Attached Files:

5. Day 15 from sprout.
    Lights are at 20/4 still, I have a fan blowing in that corner, to help air circulation and make stems stronger. (I know My "grow box" is a fishtank... )Plan on getting white poster board ( no gloss) to line the inside. I water every 2 days, I feed once a week at 1/4 recommended dose. The plants vary in size because the arrangement of the lights above them I believe. Some get 1" from the light, while others get about 5" any input would be appreciate!

Attached Files:

6. #6 bmeat, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    you look like youre doing great. also looks like youre watering correctly, which is the hardest part (since potting soil is already mixed well for you)

i would get more bulbs in there though. 50 watts per plant.

also you dont add up kelvins. thats the color temperature of the bulb. you will need 5-7k for veg, and 2-3k for flower.

you add up watts or lumens, which is the brightness of the bulb.

the c.r.i. of the bulb is the color rendering index. this is how well the bulb can simulate the kelvin vs. the sun or a flame. luckily, fluorescents have a good c.r.i., usually 80+ but they are low lumens vs. hid lights like metal halide and high pressure sodium.

are they regular or feminized seeds? you really shouldnt have sprouted so many seeds in your size box and your lighting situation

7. Looking good man, well in my opinion anyway. Pretty looking plants sir.

8. Thank you, and I plan on picking up more CFL's in the near future, and 50 actual or equivalent watts? And oh, haha alright, so only add up lumens and watts, thank you for clearing that up! And they are regular seeds, and I understand I sprouted a lot, I just wanted to increase my chance of getting ~2 females. I'm in the process of clearing a small room to grow in. I have someone willing to take what extras I have. And any of the males (I.D'd after flip) I'll cut. Thank you for your input! Very much appreciated

9. Thank you Nack, I appreciate it!

10. actual watts. males usually show sex before females. make sure conditions are good so they show sex quickly.

11. So should I flip now, or continue 20/4 (if so, for how long would you recommend?) I plan on my plants being about 3 or 4ft tall (I realize that they grow 2-3x during flowering period)

12. whatever you want man. i would give them at least another week. i just hate wasting time vegging males, so i flip early. hurts yield..but oh well

13. Alright thank you! One more question for now; topping... When do you usually top? If you do i mean...

14. i dont..im too scared to. not sure it will increase yield either. might jsut seperate the main cola into two and give you same yield.

if your plants are the same strain, you should test it out. grab two plants that are about the same size, and top one. you should top in veg.

15. Alright, thanks mate. I'll keep you updated! I appreciate all the help!

16. Do you have a temperature/hydrometer? Knowing your temp and humidity is very important.

17. I have a Humidity gauge, it's at ~30% and ambient temperature in the room is at 75-77F

18. I would add a small bowl of water if you have room, to up the humidity a little bit since you're still vegging.

19. What should I shoot for? 40-50%?