600 Watt HPS Continuous Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by s0cks23, Oct 24, 2012.

1. #1 s0cks23, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
    Hey everyone! Just finally getting this thread up. I will posting often so subscribe if you'd like! The plan is to keep brining in plants every few weeks to keep a continuous supply for myself. The goal isn't to produce massive amounts per plant, but obviously would like to maximize my yields. I just want to keep it so I never have to buy again! :D

My setup is as follows:

4x4x3 with a 600 watt dimable ballast that is set to 400 right now.
    Room is controlled by a AutoPilot grow room controller. I have a 4" 142 CFM fan hooked up to a 8" carbon filer sucking over the light and controlling the humidity in the room. The temps are controlled by a small window AC unit I have.

Nutrients are General Hydroponics FloraNova Expert Drain To Waste feeding system. I am growing in 100% coco coir.

I have 1 Grape Ape in right now that I wasn't sure what the sex was. It has been in flower for 4 days now. I started seeing signs yesterday that appeared to be female. Im going to cut 2 clones today so that way I can do a real grow with this strain. I will get enough from this plant to hold me over until the full grow with this strain.

If you wanted to see the start of this grow in the 400 Watt continuous veg grow that I have, heres the link to that! http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1118860-400-watt-cfl-continuous-grow.html

Thats it for now....Ill post more when the lights come on. :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Oh I do enjoy looking at grow journals, especially yours. Subscribed to this thread :)

3. [quote name='"ThisHigh"']Oh I do enjoy looking at grow journals, especially yours. Subscribed to this thread :)[/quote]

And I do enjoy you following! But with that being said..... This thread is on hold for about 3-4 more weeks. I thought for sure that Grape Ape was a female..... Indeed it was not. The spots I thought hairs were going to sprout from developed sacks....... So much for that! I started a Critical Kush seed yesterday and when I checked today it had already popped but I'm gonna wait a bit till the tap root gets going a little more... Maybe tomorrow into a plastic cup and then into the veg box! But I'll be updating my other thread all through out the veg cycle!

4. Oh my! A male. If I had a way to capture pollen without ruining my crops I'd love to have a bit of Grape Ape pollen to have on standby. Either way though, Critical strains are good, and very fast producers. You should definitely enjoy the critical kush.

5. [quote name='"morange"']Oh my! A male. If I had a way to capture pollen without ruining my crops I'd love to have a bit of Grape Ape pollen to have on standby. Either way though, Critical strains are good, and very fast producers. You should definitely enjoy the critical kush.[/quote]

The idea of catching pollen and crossing my own strains sounds great in theory but I don't have a place to pollinate and I don't want surprise seeds for the next 4 years in there from doing it in my flower room! Haha. I am making a room for my operation so maybe the smaller box ill turn into a pollinating chamber once complete........

6. Yeah that's what always went through my mind. I've learned my lesson with surprise seeds haha. Pollen is EXTREMELY hard to completely eradicate. When I do get around to making a space for males though I think it will be not too much effort. My only concern is odor control, how smelly do males get? I can keep a flowering male alive with barely any root space or light but I don't want the smell lingering.

7. [quote name='"morange"']

Yeah that's what always went through my mind. I've learned my lesson with surprise seeds haha. Pollen is EXTREMELY hard to completely eradicate. When I do get around to making a space for males though I think it will be not too much effort. My only concern is odor control, how smelly do males get? I can keep a flowering male alive with barely any root space or light but I don't want the smell lingering.[/quote]

I actually grew a male purple kush few months back and I didn't smell anything. Smelled like a plant. Haha. No marijuana characteristics to any part of the smell for that one. With that being said.... Only did 1 so I can't speak for all, but in my experience I didn't get any smell at any time through the grow.

Could be fun to see what happens if you cross some of your favorite strains tho! :smoke:

8. subbed. I got a 600w 4x4 area im about to have setup and want to do perpetual most likely to have a constant supply. This could really help me figure out what im doing! I have two unknowns vegging now, i Wish i knew the sex so bad!

9. [quote name='"Plex1"']subbed. I got a 600w 4x4 area im about to have setup and want to do perpetual most likely to have a constant supply. This could really help me figure out what im doing! I have two unknowns vegging now, i Wish i knew the sex so bad![/quote]

Welcome! I know that feeling! Good luck with the 4x4! How tall is it? I'm in the process of building a new room that is going to be unreal! I'm really stoked on it so far! Ill post some photos of the progress later on! It won't be ready for a little bit but its coming along!

10. Its 6.5 ft tall! I just cant wait I keep looking at the plants wishing theyd grow faster.

Do you think the best way of starting off would be to get say 5 fem seeds, veg them for a month, take cuttings then flower, and repeat?

11. [quote name='"Plex1"']

Its 6.5 ft tall! I just cant wait I keep looking at the plants wishing theyd grow faster.

Do you think the best way of starting off would be to get say 5 fem seeds, veg them for a month, take cuttings then flower, and repeat?[/quote]

That's my plan! I'm going to try and have 2-3 strains going plus 2-3 auto flowers going. All of the plants I want to start flower at separate times so the harvests aren't that far apart.

I'm gonna mess around with making feminized seeds for my own but I want to have it like you said. Just veg, clone, flower and repeat!

12. Nice! It'll be cool to watch then cause youll be ahead and maybe I can kinda follow your foot steps. I have 175w of CFL in my "veg area" right now...im starting to wonder if it will be enough to sustain 5 or more clones/seedlings. Wish i could just buy the clones!
    Hope everything goes well for you!

13. [quote name='"Plex1"']
    Nice! It'll be cool to watch then cause youll be ahead and maybe I can kinda follow your foot steps. I have 175w of CFL in my "veg area" right now...im starting to wonder if it will be enough to sustain 5 or more clones/seedlings. Wish i could just buy the clones!
    Hope everything goes well for you![/quote]

175 watt equivalent or 175 actual watts of cfl? Cause I have a mini veg that I have 4x100 watt equivalent lights that are 23 actual watts each and I had 3 plants in there and they did alright. The HPS for flower I think is the most important. For clones and seeds you don't need much to get them going so you should be good with that.... Check out floros tho. For my new room imma get a 2x2 light that is 110 watts 10,000 lumens and use that for beginning veg and clones.

14. Eventually I'll upgrade to a better veg cabinet, but 175 actual wats of cfl. 7x 23w and 1x 13w. When I have the money, I might do some sort of T5 setup. A skinnt but long box type thing thats perfect for small little rows of clones. idk.

Im kinda getting sketched out. The gnarlier my setup gets the more im like hmmm i hope somehow they dont bust in my house one day

15. [quote name='"Plex1"']

Eventually I'll upgrade to a better veg cabinet, but 175 actual wats of cfl. 7x 23w and 1x 13w. When I have the money, I might do some sort of T5 setup. A skinnt but long box type thing thats perfect for small little rows of clones. idk.

Im kinda getting sketched out. The gnarlier my setup gets the more im like hmmm i hope somehow they dont bust in my house one day[/quote]

Haha. I know what you mean about the setup. They do make blockers you can put up that block something like 98% of the heat signature if that's what worries you. But CFLs don't get too hot and that should be enough light to start in veg for sure!

16. Im thinking of buying a a cheap t5 with 4 lamps..my grandma has like 5 just sitting in the attic..she gardens alot. But with the t5. Imma wrap a diamond mylar.around it seal up the corners. Basically make a box for plants. Put it on a pulley hanger..then drape a blackout over it. If im forced to flower in it..space is something I don't have. And maybe get like two shop lamps with splitters.and hang those off the t5. With warm bulbs. Aim a fan to vent it..and grow 50/50 coco perlite. I make a work flap opening so I can tend to the plants coated with diamond mylar