Seedling dying and don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by grnthmbs, Jun 30, 2017.

1. This is my absolute first time growing and my dog knocked over my two week old baby. The roots were exposed to air for less than a minute and has now been replanted. The leaves are drooping and browning so I can tell she's slowly dying. The temp stays between 72 F and 78 F with a RH of 40%..is it too late or can I save her and how? I've attached an image from today and I'm also limited on supplies as there are no hydro stores near me, only Home Depot/lowes/Walmart. Thanks for any help and happy growing

Attached Files:

2. Cool makesure you water it and give it natural sunlight at infancy.
    What kind of soil is that

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

3. Organic all purpose soil, nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. You have mulch chips in your cup? Either way, should be

5. Yes unfortunately I do, I hadn't done much reading when I started and didn't buy the best soil. Learning lessons the hard way lol

6. To each his own. Harvest enough nugs and you'll have everyone experimenting

7. Knocking it over won't kill it, but there is something going on with your little seedling. First off...always fill the cup up to the top and leave only enough room to water without spillage. Secondly, your soil looks horrible. If that's something you bought off the shelf at Home Depot, know up front that it's a pathetic soil base and is full of chemicals to get the plant to grow. If you don't have access to true grow soil, go to a local plant nursery and ask to buy a bag of the generic potting mix they use. Amend it with perlite to a ratio of about 60/40 soil/perlite because to keep these plants healthy they have to have defined wet/dry cycles since they hate having roots sit in wet soil constantly. A heavily composted mix will have big wood chips that act almost like sponges and hold water. The mix we use is so loaded with perlite, it looks like there is more perlite than base soil (Roots Original), but it is some killer good grow soil. You have some funky spotting on your leaves that shouldn't be there. The plant also looks very dark green which says nitrogen overload. No new plant needs fed in any way until it's had time to build a root system, mature and use up the majority of the nutrients that come naturally in soil. Those box store varieties are loaded with chemicals and will often burn your plants unless you buffer with some soil that is less hot until it's forms roots. I suggest you take the time to find some reliable info on how to tend the plant. You also need to understand that nutes are just plant food and starting them too soon will just fry your plants which stresses them and slows down growth. But you need to read up on how to take care of the plant and also about the absolute necessity of adequate flower lighting during flower cycle to get a plant to produce. Without enough wattage of quality flower light, you'll be heavily disappointed in this plant. Right now it needs a good soil mix, watered properly (never ever water until you can lift the container the plant is growing in and it feels light as a feather) and light. Soil alone can support a young plant for several weeks. Put the emphasis on light that most put on nutes just starting out and you'll have a much better outcome at harvest. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Way too many wood chips in the soil. Wood chips notoriously drain Nitrogen from soil. I'd be replanting soon into better soil.
    J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. How the hell do you know there's chemicals in his soil???

Your advice stinks.

Edit: "Organic all purpose soil,"

If you'd actually read before you start your awful advice you'd have seen that OP used an organic mix. Not a good organic mix due to the wood chips but again - where are the chemicals coming from??

Jeebus.

J

• Like Like x 1
  10. On a second topic, should I remove the two largest leaves as they are dying away to make sure that these leaves aren't "stealing" the available nutrients from the rest of the plant?

11. No - transplant gently into some proven grow soil. It should be rich in nutrients and drain well. Without all the wood chips.

GL

J

• Like Like x 3
  12. #12 Mossyoak08, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    DUUUDE

13. Those problems can come from shock. Also make sure that it's not to hot in your grow room. I use cal-mag to help my seedling grow stronger

14. I think you should transplant into something slightly bigger so as not to disturb it. Otherwise you are going to have to remove a lot of the old soil.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  15. The person saying to go into a slightly larger container is probably right. My roots being exposed shocked my plant pretty bad and I feel like trying to go solo cup to solo cup runs a huge risk of exposing your roots. I'm a first timer too so I don't have a lot of experience but as you can see from the pics above, my plant got shocked as hell

• Like Like x 2
  16. prepare the pot with your happy frog and some 30% river sand or perlite

insert the current used filled pot to a bucket of tepid water

gently wash out the plant keeping the roots intact

insert to your new pot

easy!

the sand or perlite will ease any future issues and give vital 02 to the roots

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dude, always replant into a larger container.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk