Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Home brewers are making marijuana beer

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Storm Crow, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Joe Sixpack: Home brewers are making marijuana beer

Read more: Joe Sixpack: Home brewers are making marijuana beer | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/22/2011
    Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

By Joe Sixpack
    Philadelphia Daily News
    Daily News Beer Reporter

YO, POT HEADS, this bud's for you!

That's right, I'm talking about marijuana beer. Stoner suds. Ganja brew. Miller Really High Life.

It's commercially unavailable, obviously, due to federal drug and alcohol laws. But now that several states have OK'd the sale and use of marijuana for medical purposes, it's cropping up in private circles.

There have been reports of California dispensaries selling behind-the-counter homemade pot beer at 20 bucks a bottle. And there's a growing discussion about home-brew recipes online.

The emergence of marijuana in liquid form shouldn't be surprising. Before its possession was criminalized in the 1930s, marijuana was commonly ingested via liquid tincture alcohol. Today, tinctures - sometimes made instead with glycerin - are increasingly popular in legal marijuana dispensaries.

Still, California marijuana activist Ed Rosenthal doubts that even as weed laws are relaxed nationwide, we'll ever see legal pot brew.

"It's not going to happen because commercialization would get into the realm of alcohol regulations," said Rosenthal, who in 1984 authored and self-published Marijuana Beer: How to Make Your Own Hi-Brew Beer.

Now out of print, a single copy costs more than $100 on Amazon.com. I asked Rosenthal if he would share some tips.

Most recipes, he said, make use of the leaves, not the more potent buds. More industrious homebrewers use kief, the resinous, THC-packed cannabis glands that can be painstakingly sifted from the plant.

The two biggest challenges, Rosenthal said, are off flavors and contamination. If the marijuana is added during the initial wort boil, its water-soluble tars and chlorophyll will be extracted, giving the beer a nasty, plantlike flavor. Added after the boil, it can introduce bacteria and sour the beer.

Rosenthal said the easiest solution is soaking the weed for a couple of hours in cold water, without stirring, to remove those foul-tasting ingredients. The marijuana (about one ounce per gallon) is then added during the initial wort boil.

What's it taste like?

Not long ago, I got my hands on a bottle of homebrewed hemp hooch. Purely in the spirit of journalistic curiosity, you understand.

Dark and murky, it looked like an unfiltered brown ale. It smelled like a resinous dry-hopped ale, but it tasted like a freshly cut lawn. I'd tell you more about it, but I seem to be experiencing a bout of short-term memory loss.

While it seemed a bit of a waste of expensive herb, it's not hard to understand the urge to pair the two intoxicants. After all, one of the vital ingredients of beer - those bitter hop flowers known as humulus lupulus - is a species in the same family that includes cannabis.

Indeed, several commercial brewers make beer with hemp seeds. They're completely legal, because the seeds contain no THC, marijuana's psychoactive component. The feds nonetheless prohibit drug references and images of those familiar spiked leaves on labels.

Typically, the seeds are toasted and add a nutty flavor to the beer's finish.
    The best I've tasted so far is the wittily named Metacool Maltuwanna from Wynkoop Brewing Co. Because it's not packaged, the beer didn't have to go through federal label review. That means the only place to score some is at the company's brewpub in Denver, America's so-called "mile-high medical marijuana capital."

It's an imperial amber ale that's exceptionally smooth and malty but not overly sweet. There's no grassy flavor, and the only buzz I caught was from its 7.8 percent alcohol content.

Can't find a dealer? I recommend one of these other hemp beers: Nectar Ales Hemp Ale (California); Uinta Dubhe Imperial Black IPA (Utah); O'Fallon Hemp Hop Rye amber ale (Missouri).

Brewing is a fun hobby that combines well with growing! Your plants will appreciate the extra CO2 that the yeast give off! The yeast appreciate the warmth from your lights. Everybody happy! :D

My eldest son brews his own! We usually have 5 or 10 gallons of beer going in the brew area! He says it is WAY cheaper than buying and he gets a better tasting product. Also, unlike "store-bought" beer, home-brew is full of "B" vitamins that you need every day! (Commercial beer is pasteurized and that "kills" the "B" vitamins.) In moderation, home-brew is actually GOOD FOR YOU! :hello:

Granny :wave:

2. I didn't read the whole article but does it get you drunk and high? that would be sooooo awesome

3. got a pale ale goin right now haha

4. I've been considering this for a while now. I'm thinking an alcohol based tincture added just prior to kegging or bottling or a little earlier, say 1 week in secondary. maybe the next batch.................

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
    It's VERY easy, rewarding and fun! Unfortunately I don't think we're allowed to discuss brewing on GC :(

I shared these teasers a few months earlier, but did not follow through with sharing the full recipe where it involves fermentation.. it's legal in most locations when making small batches of wine and beer, but it is not legal to distill hard liquor and many people do not understand the difference or the potential dangers, so it's a bit of a 'gray area' here, and I never did hear back from the mods, if I would be allowed to continue with the full recipe. But there are loads of websites and online communities filled with great brewing knowledge. :)

I have a few 5 and 10 gallons going at all times.. it's a lovely way to add CO2 to the grow space :D

I will say that, if you do choose to pursue brewing cannabis mead, beer or wine, that it's important that you begin with already activated, and broken down, bioavailable glandular material, because those cannabinoids will not become active and bioavailable on their own, during fermentation! The alcohol content is not high enough, even by the time it's 'created'. Adding simple flowers and hash prior to the process, only serves as a flavoring or 'bittering agent' due to the addition of all that (to many patients) icky-tasting, inert plant material, while the potency achieved is only very minimal. This is why a carefully processed extract is important, to reduce any potentially foul flavor, and to increase the bioavailability of the cannabinoids used :)

Don't forget, hops contains high levels of the terpene myrcene, more so than mangoes... this is why we include hops in recipes where, traditionally, it would not normally be used ;) (Myrcene is a naturally occuring terpene in cannabis, that enhances cellular permeability, it is an analgesic, and has anti-mutagenic properties.)

Triple Berry Hash Wine

[​IMG]

(fermenting)
    [​IMG]

(Weeks later, after fermentation and before bottling)

[​IMG]

edit - Video/s of the fermentation... at the time, this small-scale project was intended as a starter tutorial, for those folks who weren't sure whether or not they wanted to invest more than a few dollars in a hobby that they may not enjoy, or get the hang of. We also brew mead, miodomel, mora, ales, beer, wine (sparkling and otherwise)... it's a great hobby. :)

Wine3 - Marijuana Pictures, Photos & Videos - Grasscity.com Media Gallery

Wine4 - Marijuana Pictures, Photos & Videos - Grasscity.com Media Gallery

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=107742&title=wine1&cat=3362

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=107743&title=wine2&cat=3362

6. #6 steve2md, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
    I think I saw a brewing thread the other day, should we move there?......

edit: I checked, no brewing thread, it's a "what beer are you currently drinking" thread

7. brewing seems to be ok per section 4 rule" j., Discussion of other drugs including pharmaceuticals, supplements and ‘legal’ herbs used as intoxicants. Note: Cannabis, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco can be freely discussed"

8. They do say 'freely', but alcohol purchase and consumption is an entirely different beast, than brewing... even spoiled wine can make you very ill, but (without going into too much detail, or going against the rules) if novice brewers misunderstand the ingredients required or become confused about 'what type' of beverage they're making, they can potentially risk blinding, or killing themselves, by drinking an improperly distilled/divided, or spoiled end-product.

You wouldn't believe all the corners people try to cut, just when it comes just to making simple edibles.. these are the same people we'd be teaching to brew! As far as public appearance goes, regardless of it being a brewing issue, if someone became violently ill it would be 'a dumb potheads' fault.

Rather than risk an infraction or warning, risk members safety, and risk our ability to discuss alcohol at all, I'm happy to wait on the admins final ruling. :)
    (This is why the discussion of other drugs has been banned; people misunderstanding directions, or being given incorrect directions to begin with, which could result in potentially lethal or hazardous consequences.. we 'get away' with enough here as it is, the admins have made it quite clear that, if we bend the rules they've given us, that their best option is to make those rules even more restrictive than they already are.)

There are plenty of threads which concern topics we're not allowed to discuss, that slip by for quite some time without any notice, if the mods aren't actively alerted... if no one has reported any of the posts, made in that thread, there's a very good chance the mods may not be aware of its existence. I'd rather wait for a final say, than take advantage of a potential blind spot and face the consequences after the fact :)

That's why I've been waiting (since apparently, March) to share the above tutorial in full, and recipes for other types of 'brew'. :p

9. I've had the Uinta Dubhe hemp beer, not a fan haha.

10. as a semi professional brewer, I can tell you that there is NO WAY a spoiled batch of beer or wine can be "deadly" or make you blind. The ph of beer and wine, both during and after fermentation, are such that there has NEVER been a SINGLE instance of a dangerous pathogen being capable of growing in them. Having said that, a "spoiled" batch of beer or wine will make you feel ill if you drink too much of them, because spoiled beer is malt vinegar, spoiled wine is plain vinegar. drinking lots of vinegar will give you a "tummy ache" but it won't hurt you. The old thought of "boose" making you go blind comes from the prohibition era. Unscrupulous distillers (beer and wine are not distilled) would cut their moonshine with methyl (wood) alcohol to give it "kick". wood alcohol is very poisonous, and causes "the jakes" (a type of palsy) blindness, parylization (sp?), and even death. Please be mindful of spreading misinformation in the future.

11. i think the issue has more to do with distilling the alcohol, since methanol can kill/blind you. Not bacterial growth.

12. This is precisely the kind of information we're supposed to avoid discussing, which is the sole reason why I was so vague ;) No misinformation involved, whatsoever.

Perhaps you didn't actually bother to read my post?

13. Just for reference (I know it's just above and on the same page, but in spite of that, apparently some folks don't bother reading posts before replying to or commenting on them! :p )

Again, this is the same reason we're not at liberty to discuss the creation of other 'usually harmless' drugs, here at GC. :) Even if brewing simple wine and beer is legal and painfully easy, people get excited, think they know what they're doing when they don't, they get 'too creative' with their ingredients, they could skip distillation after getting creative, and wind up making what amounts to poison. People simply couldn't handle discussing other substances within the guidelines, which is why their creation/discussion here was put to a halt.

Hope this helps. :)

14. There is a big difference between beer and liquor- Beer generally doesn't have enough alcohol in it to hurt you too much but spirits can wreck your shit if you don't distill them properly. My uncle works for doctors without borders told me a story about a time he was dispatched to a tiny village in Africa- something like 200 people because they had a yearly festival where they drank all their home made spirits and the person in charge fucked it up and didn't do it the right way basically killing 17 people. He said it had to do with how during distillation there are some very crucial parts that you get rid of and don't drink.

15. #15 BadKittySmiles, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011

Exactly, this is why it's been a 'gray area' here. Even those people who consider themselves to be quite adept at legal *brewing (and illegal) distillation, have made fatal errors.

16. I personally don't see a gray area at all. Brewing and distillation are 2 completely different processes producing 2 completely different products. They are absolutely not the same or even similar in any way. Putting them in the same category together, because they both produce alcohol, is the same as saying pot and crack are the same thing, since both will get you high. I agree that distillation is not appropriate for discussion here, as misinformation runs rampant on the internet and the process and product can be dangerous if not done properly. Brewing on the other hand, can not be made dangerous at all, except for burns (you do have to boil liquid) and a hangover, brewing is one of the safest hobbies in existence

17. so does it get you high and drunk or not?

18. I guess it would depend on the preparation method, if it is added during the boil, I think you might render the thc inactive, due to the high temperatures involved in boiling wort (un fermented beer), if added during primary fermentation, I am unsure of the effects the yeast will have on the thc, or vice versa. ( I know when I smoke, I don't want to work, maybe the same goes for yeast?). I personally think adding it as an ethanol (think vodka or everclear ONLY) tincture at kegging or in a smaller amount at bottling would be the most effective. I'll get back to you with some results in about a month and a half.....

19. Maybe reading the earlier posts in this thread, would help clear things up for you. :)

Of course people who already know better, realize the differences. :)

But we're not working with people who know better, we're very often working with kids who join this forum, underage, against the rules, who want to get "totally f'd up", and do not like working very hard, to do it. This is Grass City, not Methanol Safety Mountain.

People were not following safety measures or protocol, when working with other substances, which is why their discussion has been banned, even for those substances that are still 'legal', and sold in the GC shop!

Brewing beer may be legal in 'most' areas, but distillation of hard liquor is not legal in many regions, and that kind of 'taboo' can kill the wrong child when he chooses to skip steps, ignore warnings, and ultimately decides that he thinks he knows best.

Kids often jump in headfirst, and don't bother to learn the difference between boiling off to reduce methanol content, and distillation, and these same kids have been sent to the hospital after assuming that first few drops of 'alcohol' they collect, are the 'best/strongest', when in fact what they have done is concentrated the most toxic and deadly portion, of what otherwise would have been a normally-safe brew.

At the risk of my own safety here, I'll go into more detail. (Even when warning against certain substances here, if you go into too much detail, you risk infraction. Potentially harmful substances are very much frowned upon, at GC.)

I'm sure you're aware that the pectins in different fruit wines and beer, produce methanol, which if consumed in small quantities over a large portion of brew are considered 'relatively safe' (although they produce nasty hangovers; consider a painful red wine hangover, versus the relatively clear and less-painful hangovers produced by a properly distilled, expensive, store-bought liquor... that's methanol!), but if unintentionally extracted and concentrated, it can be potentially deadly. Even in relatively 'low' doses thinned out in a brew, over time, will produce (to name a few) liver and optical nerve damage.

Keep in mind, alcohol poisoning alone is something many young people are faced with, even with store-bought liquor.

Over-consuming a home brewed product, potentially filled with methanol, is a bit more likely to encourage toxicity. When brewing home made wine/beer, they suggest keeping under 12% ABV to stay on the safe side. Otherwise you should consider boiling off the methanol. Most kids brewing won't have the means to test, or even know to test their content.

Just like those other substances we're not longer allowed to discuss, some people tend to ignore countless warnings about safety measures, even when they're right in front of their faces, and they may not decide to educate themselves until it's too late. People were ignoring safety advice and giving incorrect dosage/preparation information so abundantly, that discussion was put to a halt.

We're lucky we're still allowed to discuss certain means of preparing our cannabis! Taking advantage of loopholes, and trying to get around the rules, is what caused the admins to narrow our discussion further.

And beer and vodka while different in both end result and creation, are a bit more similar to each other, than crack is to cannabis... I don't see many people planting what they assume to be cannabis, and accidentally winding up with crack plants, after all. :p The risk of accidentally producing something toxic when growing cannabis is, you know, just a bit lower than brewing with commonly used, methanol-producing ingredients. :D

-------

To answer the other fellow's question, if done properly (the material is extracted and broken down to promote bioavailability, first), yes you will get both the alcohol, and the herb buzz. :) It should be added after the boil, and does not effect yeast/fermentation.

20. #1 , I have read every post in this thread. #2, It seems as though you are just commenting on this thread in order to argue with me, which , since you are so intent on pointing out the rules, would technically constitute Trolling, and is forbidden.
    #3, if you feel you must pick arguements, why don't you track down all the under 18 kids on the site? I have seen many discussions here pertaining to "how to hide it from your mom" and "my mom caught me..." plenty of rule breaking there for you to attack.

I totally agree that distillation is a bad idea for a novice. I have not disagreed with that at all, and I don't advocate, nor have I discussed methods of distillation. all the dangers you point out involve distillation. There is no possible way to start out brewing beer and accidentally end up distilling liquor. VERY DIFFERENT PROCESSES. I have said time and time again that BREWING BEER OR WINE is completely safe excluding the risk of burns, hangovers, and overcarbonation. It is also legal in all 50 states of the USA, per President Jimmy Carter. Distilation is legal, provided you have paid the proper taxes and posess the permits required. It is still not a good idea to distill and I don't recommend it if you aren't ready to put in the time and effort that it requires to porperly learn that craft from a reputable distiller. Many distilleries throughout the country will be happy to take you on as a distillers assistant @ minimum wage, provided you are 18 years of age or older.

I think it is time for an admin to get in on this and make a ruling. If my end of this discussion is a no-go, no sweat, I'll respect that. If it's not, leave it the heck alone and go argue elsewhere.