Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 31, 2011.

1. #321 BadKittySmiles, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
    - Canna Oil -

Making...

[​IMG]

Into...

[​IMG]

Made using the ground popcorn flowers and frosty trim, of a POG # 8 harvested in April (jar cured for 3 months).

Firstly: For most of my processing, I'd normally be wearing gloves. Food/processing grade Poly, Nitrile or Latex. You should try to avoid latex, it's a more-common allergy than the other two. Normally I'd say "no glove, no love." ;)

But when I make oil for myself, and for one older woman who tells me she's allergic to everything from Poly, to Nitrile (hers are finished and wrapped in wax paper), I go gloveless (bareback... lol). The straining process usually gets my joints a little sore without equipment to do it for me, but the canna oil helps my hands and wrists in an amazing, almost-immediate way. I used to be a bit of an 'athlete', and had to stop at a young age due to some arthritis and other health issues.. thinking back, I may not have had to stop so soon if I'd know at the time what canna could do for me. Topical canna is great for the back, shoulders, knees, wrists and fingers... anywhere that's less than a few inches from the surface of the skin gets fast relief.

If I'm making several batches at home one day, and if I need one myself, I'll make a personal batch first so I can strain it bare-handed, and then process fully-gloved for the following batches.

Before washing the oil from my hands and wrists, I rub it in a little deeper, put plastic bags on my hands, and rest them in hot water for a few minutes... it's pure bliss in a matter of seconds, and I'm pain free, without being sedated or having other areas of my body effected or desensitized.

For the amount of pain-relief it provides, it doesn't even diminish the sensation of touch in the hands much; I can feel my hands when I touch them, and I'm never accidentally burning myself by touching something too hot, for too long. It just removes the pain.

But on to the part you care about :p

[​IMG]

You will need:

- A ceramic casserole dish, or a pyrex/glass pie dish

- Aluminum Foil

- Herb

- Potato Masher or Spoon

- Grinder (preferably a coffee grinder or Bullet Blender-type grinder or blender)

- Olive, Coconut, Grapeseed, Canola oil, or clarified butter (heat and cool evaporating water, skim foam/milk solids off surface, repeat three times)

** Use slightly more oil than the recipe calls for, to account for the slight loss during straining. You won't lose much at all, especially if you strain small portions of green at a time rather than all of it all at once.. if the recipe calls for a half cup, measure out in your measuring cup until the line is only just a few hairs above the halfway mark. You'd want half a cup, and between a teaspoon and tablespoon extra.

- Optional: Lecithin (It is a 'booster' ingredient, which enhances bioavailability or absorption via a process known as 'liposomal encapsulation', providing more intense effects, from the same material. It doesn't increase potency per se; it increases your body's ability to absorb, and put the available potency to better, faster, more efficient use... for more information, see page 1 of this thread.)

-------------

Pre-heat your oven to 215 - 220 f... if you've never tested the heat of your oven, go for 210 - 215 f to be on the safe side. Decarboxylation is part of the natural aging process of canna, and decarboxylated material is somewhat fragile, because it's just a step before the material begins to actually lose the potency we're looking for as the cannabinoids continue to convert. Dry warm air is important for fast decarboxylation, but it's also a good way to quickly degrade your material by speeding up the rate of decomposition. The decarbing process continues in oil (picture how a wet potato, evaporates into a dry, but oily chip); so you're best off under-processing than over-processing, where the dry pre-decarb is concerned. Unfortunately there is a lot of discrepancy on decarboxylation. If you have freshly harvested wet cannabis, it's going to take several hours for it to first become smoke-dry, then decarb and activate. If you feel your material is very fresh, but smoke dry, feel free to experiment by adding an extra 10 - 15 minutes. If it's very old, a faded, more pale shade of green or brown, and you feel it may have crossed a border or two to get to your home, keep to the guide and do not exceed 20 minutes.

Grind your herb as finely as possible. Sprinkle evenly over the pie dish.

Cover WELL with aluminum foil, crimping up the sides below the edge and trying to avoid folding it under the dish itself (a little movement or sliding into the oven disturbs the seal and usually causes that base foil to 'lift' open.. if you seal it up around the edges instead it stays in place).

Place in oven at 220 f, for 20 - 30 minutes (less for commercial, brown or older looking herb, more for something that seems like it may be more fresh). Once your timer has gone off, shut off heat and leave the dish in the oven, open slightly (the door has a few 'open' settings... just open it a crack) and remove in 10 minutes. Letting it cool down slowly gently continues the decarbing process, while allowing any potential vapor to settle back into the material you'll be working with.

Once removed, preheat the oven again to 220 f.

Melt your solid oils, and heat those liquid oils to ensure any potential water has been evaporated prior to beginning the process.. if using butter, clarify it by heating and cooling several times, skimming the milk solids off the surface. Repeat until no solids appear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remove your foil lid carefully.. you'll be re-using it. If it tears, get a fresh sheet.

If you have lecithin, this is when you'd sprinkle it evenly over the surface of the decarbed herb. Then, you pour over your oil. Give it a little mix. Cover with foil, and place back in the oven for 45 minutes. This will be your half-way heating point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 45 minutes, remove from the oven (leave it on) and allow the dish to cool for 10 - 15 minutes. Once the temp has dropped and you can comfortably touch the dish, you'll carefully open it, keeping the foil, then press and mash the herb with your potato masher, or the back of a large spoon. This just helps loosen up that glandular material as it's breaking down, and helps expose it to the oil.

Replace the foil lid, seal well, and put back in the oven for another 45 minutes. This time, when it's finished, just shut off the heat and leave in the oven until reasonably cool... this will take about a half hour in a sealed still-warm oven.

[​IMG]

When
    finished cooling from the second heating, you can either freeze your material in the dish, if it's pyrex, or pour the entire batch into a freezer-safe container.

Freeze it all for at least 2 hours (longer to get the center if you've made any more than a cup). Remove, allow to thaw to room temp or the shock will break your dish and waste all your precious oil, then place back in the oven for just long enough to liquefy and thin out the oil, for better straining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally you're finished: you can either store it away, or immediately use your new Canna Oil. [​IMG]

----

***** -Dosing- *****

Now this is where you come in... a single edible dose when made from a combination of flowers and frosty trim, is usually approx. 0.35g as far as many dispensaries are concerned; but some people need half that, and some people need a little more.

1) The quality of your oil processing, 2) the quality of your flowers, and 3) your personal tolerance, will determine how much you need per dose. If you followed the above directions exactly, you've got a high quality oil, making the other factors very easy for an individual to calculate.

To determine your personal edible dose, whatever you smoke in a day if your a heavy smoker, or a single session if you're an average smoker, should be the absolute max you'd want to consume per edible, to avoid the risk of feeling overwhelmed your first few tries. It is going to effect you a bit more and for a longer duration when eaten, than that same amount would when smoked. So if you don't want much stronger sensations than you're used to, you'll want to use a bit less than you'd normally smoke.

For the math, if you're making a batch of 15 brownies, you'll probably want to shoot for just under 5.5 grams if your personal dose is for instance 0.35g. What folks say commonly, is that you should use 'a quarter ounce, per batch of brownies'. But of course, that's not going to be exactly accurate for every batch or recipe, or every persons tolerance... it depends on the size the brownies are cut to, and it doesn't take the quality of the oil into consideration.

So using math to determine a single dose, and knowing how many doses you plan on making in the end, is a much more accurate guide than to have me tell you that "you need 'X' amount of herb, per 'Y' amount of oil".

Take your dose/quantity per edible (example - 0.35g), then multiply that, by how many doses your recipe will make (example - 15 doses), to determine how much herb you should be using for however much oil the recipe requires (example - 5.25g, for the specific amount of oil the recipe calls for). 0.35 x 15 = 5.25

NOW, that's dosing. But how many doses to add, to a certain amount of oil, depends solely on the recipe you're making with that oil.

Not knowing what you'd be doing with it, or what your tolerance is, if I gave you any one specific amount it could be ridiculously overkill for a particular recipe, or not strong enough for another.

If a batch of brownies takes 1/2 cup of oil, and makes 15 brownies, but a batch of pasta sauce requires between 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup, and makes only 2 portions.... well, you see how that may not add up, dose-wise. ;)

Long story short, the process is the crucial part, and I'm leaving both the oil and herb amounts and ratios up to you. :) Just use the above as a guide, and remember to take the recipe, and your personal dose into consideration before beginning your oil.

Good luck, and have fun! [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Thank you much for sharing this awesome Canna Oil recipe badkitty! I'm going to try this out soon! :D How does the strength of Canna Oil compare to the strength of butter? Just curious, and thanks again. :cool:

3. With the lecithin, does it need to be heated before putting into caps or can I blend it with coconut oil and cap it? I can at slightly warmer than room temp and dont want to recook a batch of pills I made

4. Suuuuubed.... Thanks for taking your time out to post this stuff...Very informative...

5. - Raspberry ~Hashy~ FauxJito's -

For those of you who like to indulge in a little drinkypoo, now and again, this is summery spin on the traditional 'Mojito', using Chambord vodka and Tequila. You can use Green or Golden Dragon, glycerin tincture, a heavily infused mint extract, or all of the above, to make this cann(a)-tastic treat.

[​IMG]

To make two (2) - Raspberry Canna FauxJito's - , you will need:

- Tequila, 2 (or 3 ;) ) shots

- Chambord Vodka, 2 shots... for a tastier raspberry flavor and less alcohol, substitute original Chambord.

- Lime Juice, 2 oz's if squeezed, or if bottled at-strength.

Be cautious and much more light-handed if using a lime extract; depending on the strength, between a few drops and a teaspoon should suffice. And if using a larger container sold as 'Lime-ade', or if it is a 'Lime Juice', sweetened and made for drinking, you'll need more.

I recommend using the freshest, most natural and unadulterated juice you can find. I try to avoid corn syrup at all costs... there's nothing wrong with a little here and there, but in the American diet, it's EVERYWHERE.

- Sugar - 2 tsp, or sweeten to taste... if using powdered, freshly opened or properly stored, is best.

- Glycerin hash tincture (optional, or as needed for sweetener and/or potency)

- Mint or Peppermint extract, 3 - 4 drops. Ours was infused with hash (early last year)

- Water, a splash. Or optionally you can use; tonic water, club soda, ginger ale, or grapefruit soda. It will react under UV/black light and glow, when made with a good amount of tonic water.

- Mint leaves, a small handful, divided: for a garnish, and to crush and mix in the drink.

- Salt, barely a pinch

- Shaker, or an empty spirit bottle.

Traditionally spearmint was used. And normally, when buying bunched 'Mint' leaves if they are sold without a precursor like the 'pepper' in peppermint, or the 'corn' of corn mint, it's spearmint that you're usually buying. For it to be anything else sold simply as 'mint', while possible, would make it grossly under-labeled. :p

----------

Select and wash your mint leaves, and garnishing sprigs.

Set aside garnish.

Crush the mint leaves meant for mixing in the drink, you can dice them if you like... it's not a traditional recipe, but a simple crushing is more traditional. Place the crushed leaves inside your shaker.

Add the tequila on top. You can either A.) set aside for several hours to infuse, and add less (or no) mint extract later on, or B.) you can continue immediately with the recipe, and rely on your extract for more flavor. If you don't want it too strong mint-wise, keep the leaves but omit both the lengthy soaking and the extract. If you are letting it sit, and you're using table/cane sugar granules, now is also the time to add your sugar and your salt, so they've dissolved prior to drinking.

Add the Chambord, your salt and sugar if you haven't already, lime juice, and any extracts and tinctures you've selected. I'm not going to tell you how much to use; I'll only repeat that the equivalent of 0.35g flowers is a common edible dose, and roughly 0.10g for hash.

Remember: YOU should know the dose that you'll need, based on your tolerance, and the strength of your tincture or dragon. I'm only providing a yummy, complimentary-flavored drink, to hide it in. :)

Seal your mixer or bottle, and shake well without ice, to blend and aerate the mix.

Pour over ice in glasses, and top off with a splash of either water, or a clear lightly-flavored carbonated beverage.

Garnish with springs of mint, and enjoy. :)

[​IMG]

6. you mention tinctures again in this recipe, which is amazing btw cant wait to try it, but what is the best way to make a tincture? ive heard of using alcohol like vodka or rum, and the glycerin which you mentioned.

lol i know ive asked you this a couple times before, but i still dont know how to make it :)

thanks again kitty!

7. LOL thanks kitty....looking forward to seeing it...

today i made my famous italian meat sauce and made a lasagna with it. instead of just olive oil, i put some of my new oil in it.

this was probably the best meal i have ever had in my life. even though the sauce is always tasting the same (most of the time LOL) it made me feel sooooo goood!

im wondering if i lost some of the potency during the cooking process? how could i eliminate or reduce that if that happened?

8. You can always take into consideration how many doses or servings you'll need, then use a more concentrated oil made either with hash, or with multiple runs using a larger overall amount of herb, divided, and processed through a smaller amount of oil. I like to be sure it's concentrated just enough, that I can add a little regular oil or butter at the appropriate time when it's traditionally called for... this keeps the flavor and consistency just right.

So to make your sauce, you would first put in a portion of regular oil or butter when it's recommended to do so in your favorite recipe, then stir in your canna or hash oil just at the end (with a little lecithin if you have it, to help promote an even balance through the sauce), after removing from heat, about 5 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally until you ladle it over your pasta.

With a pasta which you 'build', then bake in the oven, (such as a 'pasta & cheese bake', lasagna roll-ups, lasagna or similar) you can always make a 'dry' lasagna, meaning it's made with only a portion of the original, seasoned tomato sauce (not none at all!), and then you would ladle divided, individualized portions or specific doses of canna oil infused sauce, over each serving.

This is the best way to avoid reducing or damaging potency, and it's also the best way to make sure that everyone at the table is getting a pretty consistent dose, or the right dose for their tolerance, while at the same time satisfying their hunger. :)

9. awesome...thats what i will do next time!

thanks again kitty

10. Thank you so much for the info kitty! I've lurked for some time. Your great info is drawing me out!
    I've made a few batches of butter but never achieved any real potency. Most instructions I've seen don't include the decarbing step or mention the addition of lecithin. Learning to properly process the material and decarb seems to be the missing step.
    I process for myself and a couple of fellow patients. One can no longer smoke or vaporise due to breathing problems. I appreciate the help.
    With Gratitude
    Snow L

11. Hold that thought....I'm gonna go grab my recipe cards....:bolt:

But seriously, I just found the organic store in my town and I'm itching to try some medibles!!

12. Awesome thread!!!

I was pointed this way by ChunkDaddyo.... I have made butter in the crock pot twice now and for my last batch used coconut oil instead. I vastly prefer using coconut oil instead of butter. I have some intestinal issues, and not only is the coconut oil healthier, but it is beneficial for my intestinal issues as well. I have never had good luck using an oven/stove-top. I have not read the whole thread (....yet), but was wondering if you ever use a crock pot?

I also need to read up on the lecithin thing!

Once again, awesome thread, thanks for the knowledge! :smoking:

13. ive got the same question about the crock pot, as that was the method i was taught oh so many years ago.

but my assumption, after reading all your info of course, is that due to the crock pot not being fully sealed up, that some potency would be lost....?

14. Hey badkittysmiles, I was wondering if it is at all necessary to put ABV bud through the decarb process at all? I have give or take a quarter saved up for now and have been looking through GC forums for various recipes to see what I should do with it and would like to make the vaped bud as potent as possible since well it's been vaped.

15. Greetings All,
    Just want to say I've made butter a few times. I followed Kat's directions here to the letter including the addition of lecithin. Baked a batch o Blondie's yesterday. SLAM DUNK...processing was the problem. My fingers feel so loose I can barely type...for me this is a small miracle. I cant thank you enough for teaching me how to make my medicine effective.

Snow L

16. I am so glad to hear it, and you're more than welcome, that's why I'm here. Hearing your success story makes it all the more worthwhile. :)

GrowGeek (and the two or three others who've been asking :p ), I will be back very shortly with a glycerin tincture recipe! I know a few have been asking for the 'Tinc-Treats' tutorial, the main reason I've been dragging my heels is that Will already has an entire thread devoted to glycerin tincture, it's long (a good thing), and if you flash through it there's some great advice.

So mine's going to be short and sweet, just so you can see a few ways I do it... I've got an older batch sitting in a crock pot, I'll describe how that was made (may be able to find the photos.. was made in January or February, so no promises!) and I'll show you folks who don't have enough materials to use even the smallest crock pot, how you can still make a perfect tincture using the oven. :)

Yes, I do use crock pots from time to time :) Just usually not for oil... glycerin tinctures take weeks to perfect, even when 'enough' heat has been used to jump-start the process. So for tincture I don't mind using a lesser heat-source, with fewer temp options. I just keep it on low for a few hours, bump it up to high for 5 minutes, take it off, keep it on low and so-on.
    My crock pot has become more of a storage container, especailly in recent months :p I definitely prefer the control and flexibility you have when using the oven.. wider range of temps, you can choose various sized containers, and they can usually be sealed a bit better.

Plus, you can work on a few batches at a time in the oven; different strains, different grades, hash and herb, all in different containers. I can make a few gallons of oil, and wind up with 10 - 20 different varieties in the oven, in the same amount of time that I can make only one (or two, if floating individual containers) in the crock pot.

As for decarbing Vaped Bud (ABV/AVB)... the decarb/activation process still continues in your pure water-less oil source, if left partially incomplete. Decarboxylation is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor.. you're drying it out, and it can be done (much slower) in your pure oil source, much the same way a wet slice of potato can be turned into a chip.. it happens more rapidly when frying a potato, but evaporation of water still continues when heated gently, and you're only removing the tiniest fraction.

That being said, your vaped bud 'should' have been fully decarbed or activated during your use. Some folks vape more or less than others, or grind the herb before vaping more or less than others, so there's room for variation... activation occurs before the cannabinoids become volatile and gaseous (ie, vapor), meaning if you ground your herb well and exposed enough surface area, and produced a good amount of vapor in the process which is something that can be avoided during a gentle decarb, you should have yourself a very 'complete' (enough for oil-preparation) decarb.

Hope this helps. :)

17. This is sweet, One day you can patent your lil piece of love in a wrapper (=

18. this is awesome

19. When is this going to be finished? I'm having a party next week and would love this.

20. I want everyone and BKS that I didn't flake out! The MMJ lifestyle is a fun one, but it has lots of loops and turns. By mid August I should have most my situations hammered out, and will get back to projects like the pdf file of recipes.

On another note, I just finished drying the ever-loving shit out of 2 plants I cropped a few weeks back, and am going to start a whole bunch of fun cooking projects today. Probably copying most of BKS' recipes, but I may think up of some my own, maybe I'll think of a real good one. Been hearing a lot of suggestions lately!