Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Level 2 Cannabutter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Dougdomo, Jul 12, 2010.

1. #1 Dougdomo, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
    First off, if this is your first time making cannabutter, please go and have a look at Hashmouf's guide first. It is well suited for beginners, and is very well done. Here is the link. http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...pe-guide-cannabutter-step-step-pictorial.html

Now, if you have made Cannabutter before, and it turned out rather well, I am going to give you some added Ideas on how to make some "average" cannabutter into "zoopity" cannabutter.

Note: None of these are my pictures, as I didn't have enough money right now to purchase all the needed supplies.

The things you will need are as follows.

One mason jar.
    [​IMG]

A cooking pot that is at least 6" deep.
    [​IMG]
    A PLASTIC or GLASS stirring spoon. (Do not use wood as wood is very absorbent)
    [​IMG]

A reusable steel mesh coffee filter.
    [​IMG]
    Two sticks of Land-o-lakes butter.
    [​IMG]
    And of course, a 1/4 ounce of Marijuana Bud.
    [​IMG]

Note: That looks like a little bit more then 1/4. When I made it, I used that amount, minus one or two buds.

What you want to do is grind your weed into a super fine powder, a coffee grinder works great for this. Don't worry if you can only get it to "clumpy", you just want to get it ground as fine as you can.

Next, throw all of this into the mason jar, with the two sticks of butter. Put the cap on and seal it tightly. Put this container into the cooking pot, and fill cooking pot about half way with water. The water should cover at least 1/3 of the mason jar, but no more then this.

Turn the heat on high until you see the butter melt then IMEDIATLY turn the heat to the lowest setting possible. The objective here is to not heat the butter/weed mixture any more then necessary, you simply want it warm enough to keep the butter on the tipping point in between a liquid and a solid. Some people will say that heating the weed to 350 will convert the THCA into THC. This is turn, but if you are planing on cooking with it, then this will take place any ways. The more heat that is induced to the weed/butter mixture, the more it will degrade. Leave the mason jar in the pot for about 30min, shaking the jar vigorously ever 5-10min for about 1-2min each time. This will agitate the mixture, causing all cannabinoids and THC fat solubles to mix with the butter solution.

The next step is optional, however I find that it makes a more potent cannabutter(Note: this is HIGHLY speculative, as I am basing this on personal choice, and have no tangible evidence to back it upon. You could simply go to the last step at this time and have a very nice finished product.) Put the mason jar, without opening it(you can do so but your house is going to stink of sweet sweet marijuana) into the freezer. Allow to sit for around 12 hours, you can also wait 24 but 12 is fine. After this period, repeat step one up to the point where the butter is melted. At this point take the Jar out and proceed to the next step.

Take the mixture and pour it into the steel mesh coffee filter, make sure to hold the coffee filter over a bowl or something, your mouth also works but I recommend against it. Push the gooey weed down with the plastic spoon. The reason you are using a plastic spoon is that you can freeze the spoon later and scrape off the frozen butter, this doesn't work very well if you are using a wooden spoon.

And there you have it. I find this method to work much better then simply putting the butter into the pan. A lot of people say to simmer the butter, however this is wrong. THC starts to break down when heat is introduced. The more heat, the less potent the butter. The mason Jar acts as a heat buffer, and will keep the solution about 10 cooler then the outside solution(water). The major key to this method is to remember to keep the temperature at a point where the butter remains a liquid, but any lower would turn back into a solid. Remember, you are not trying to heat the THC into the butter, but "shake" it out into the butter.

2. #2 Dougdomo, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    Also, when you grind your weed. Make sure that your getting all of the dust at the bottom of your grinder, as this contains a high level of THC concentration.

3. Butter goes from being a solid, into a liquid, at 100f, fyi.

4. what can i do with said butter just eat it and get high?make a sandwhich?~

5. "And of course, a half ounce of Marijuana Bud. "
    "Note: I think that looks like about 1/5 instead of 1/4 of an ounce, however that looks about like the amound I used on my last batch of butter. "

Would you recomend 1/4 or 1/2 for 2 sticks of butter?
    I know it depends on how potent you want it but what do you normally use?

6. #6 mike239489, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
    Hey Doug, nice guide. I particularly like this method of using the mason jar since it allows you to shake it up rather than just mixing it around with a spatula, definitely think that would help a good deal in extracting ALL of the THC.

You mention that you should avoid simmering the butter as this leads to the degradation of the THC. Do you have any sources that back this up? Just curious, as I can't find any resources on the matter - wikipedia indicates that the boiling temp of THC is 157 celsius (around 315 farenheit). Most butter (since it's an emulsion of fats and water) will boil/simmer around 110-120 celsius, well below THC's boiling point. This indicates to me that the THC would NOT degrade at a simmering temp and would be just fine, but I'm not sure...if you could provide some sources that would be great.

Also, take a look at the thread in this forum I made regarding the refrigeration step...I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Good job though, definitely think this method would yield great butter.

EDIT: Guess thread I mentioned got deleted, so made a post in Hashmouf's thread...take a look at give me your thoughts.

7. If it's mids use 1/4 for the first time. I found that that was more then enough.

8. Sorry, been a while since I have been on here. I have no sources for the butter, like I said don't quote me on it. What I am basing this on, is exactly what you quoted. THCA's conversion temperature is around "cooking temps". Again do not quote me on this, I read it some place and forget the direct link. But, I figured that the #1 error that people were doing with cannabutter, was they were bringing it to "simmering" temps, as in med-high, which is way to hot. Most people were saying that the butter was turning brown, which is obviously way too hot, as the butter is starting to "cook" at this point. You only wan the butter to turn into a liquid and no more.

9. This method seams like quite a good way to make cannabutter, but i only had 1 small question/concern with it. When you go to melt the butter/weed mixture in the jar wouldnt sealing the jar run the risk of have a jar crack from pressure? i havent personally tried it this way but that just seams like it might be a possibility.

10. None. And if the jar were to go boom from pressure, you would have gotten the butter so hot, it would have turned dark brown and crusty, and the butter would be worth shit any ways. Butter does not boil, thus turning into a vapor and releasing pressure, until 485ºf, where as water boils at 212ºf. But, butter turns into a liquid at about 89-92ºf, so if you only make it into a liquid, say 100-120ºf, it will not go any where near boiling point. In fact, it wont even reach the boiling point of water, so there is absolutely no worry of pressure build up.*AS LONG AS YOU MAKE SURE TO WATCH THE TEMP CLOSLY*<--disclamer, some of you out there might try to turn the heat on high and watch it explode just for the fun of it.

Just put the setting on low/med-low and you have nothing to worry about.

11. hmmm that makes sence, only the air would expand a little but it wouldnt be nearly enough pressure to crack the jar.

12. I seal them really tight, and leave them on for about an hour every time I make it. I usually always open it just because I love the smell. When you open it, there is barely even a slight *puff*.

13. hmmmk, im definatly gonna give this a go... quick question tho, is there a potency difference between your way with 24 hours of fridge time, and 24 hours of low heat from a crockpot?

14. Yes, I have noticed a difference. This method is much stronger as it is not in direct contact with the heat, and very little at that. It's almost like you are making hash, just instead of shaking the hash onto a surface, you are shaking it into the butter. Don't get me wrong, the crock-pot works great, I just find this method to be more logical and more potent.

15. Thank you, I have made corrections. When I make it I always buy an ounce and use half, because I am stuck with lower end mids most of the time. If you get some decent mids, you would be more then fine using 1/4 though.

16. Can I see a picture of the finished product. This reminds me when I had made my canna butter last time with 1 ounce/1 stick of butter and it came out to be so gooey.. so goey... it was awesome. I'd like to see the finish product though, thanks

17. I just got done using the last bit of it to make cookies with. I turns out to look just like butter, with a slight green tinge, and about a quarter of an inch of brown "sludge" at the bottom, with is about the same as hash.

18. Tried your recipe out. It's very stealth and I was able to do it in the comfort of my own room with my cook stove. No need for late night covert kitchen mission. I am very stoned...:wave::smoke:

19. Hey this seems awesome. I'm definately trying that.
    just wanted to know, how many grams 2 sticks of butter would amount to?
    Half a pound?

20. Cant wait to try this either, except ill be trying it with Poo from my volcano. ill be putting a lot more in so we will see how it works out