Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis Coconut Oil Extraction

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by infiniteawesome, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I've done this a few times now and feel that it might be worth mentioning to the rest of you.

Coconut Oil is a very exceptional product for THC extraction.

As many of you probably already know, THC is extractible in alcohol and anything high in saturated fat.

Since coconut oil is 98% saturated fat, it is very suitable for THC extraction, and cooking.

Here's how I do it.

Ingredients:

1 Liquid Cup Coconut Oil
    2 Liquid Cups Water
    7 to 8 grams of sinsemilla marijuana

You'll Need:

A gas stove
    A Medium to Large Pot
    Coffee Filters
    Containers with lids
    Colander

Directions:

-Bring the water to a boil
    -Add coconut oil
    -Let sit for 2 min.
    -Bring to a simmer
    -Add marijuana
    -Let simmer for 2 hours, adding water as it evaporates
    -Take off heat, let sit for 20-30 min.
    -Strain off leaf using coffee filters fitted over containers. As more liquid accumulates through the strainer, the oil will stay on top and will have a golden greenish color to it. The water will be pinkish (this is due to the presence of cannabinoids and other less psychoactive materials that did not bond with the oil). After straining, run cold water over the filtered buds to release any trapped oil in the filter.
    -Put the oil/water mixture into a sealed container.
    -Put container in fridge.
    -Wait for oil to solidify (3-5 hours depending on how cold your fridge is).
    -After oil is solidified (it will be an opaque white-green color when solidified), strain off water using colander.
    -Take solidified oil, contain it, and store in fridge
    -To use in baking, re-liquefy by immersing container in hot water before adding to ingredients.

Conclusions:
    So there you go, I like to add this to brownies recipe calling for one cup of vegetable oil. Divided into sixteen brownies, one brownie keeps me stoned for three to five hours and it's such a clean high!

2. Thanks, I think this is the best way too...although I think for a cup of oil I'd add more herb. I only use about 2-3 teaspoons of oil for about an 1.5 G or herb.

3. I know this is an old thread but I am going to revive it by doing this with trainwreck trim and small buds. Will report back with photos.

4. This sounds like a great idea, for purity reasons.

However I'm someone who sacrifices taste to get every last bit of herbal product. I am not saying this is necessarily the BEST way, just my preference. Good post though, it should have more views.

5. The more and more I think about it, Im probably just going to go the butter route.

6. I cannot tell you by experience, because I've never tried them side by side, but your digestive tract will have a much easier time absorbing all the THC in coconut oil due to the medium chain triglycerides that it contains. It seems to be the perfect substance in which to consume cannabis, at least when baking anyhow.

7. So, I was thinking earlier, would it be possible to take coconut oil which thc has been bonded to, or cooked into, and mix it with alcohol in a blender to cause the thc bonds to break, and attach to alcohol, which is polar, while thc and coconut oil are non-polar. Then, you could take the mixed product and freeze it, causing the oil, which is hypothetically now rid of thc, to freeze, and leave an alcohol mixture which contains thc, as opposed to the thc-a typically found, which could obviously then be turned into hash. The purpose of all the extra work of course being creating a hash with the effects seen in edibles caused by the presence of thc, rather than thc-a or thc-b.

Any thoughts?

9. How much water cause is heard too much water doesn't do well sitting in the oil with the bud