Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stealthy, potent, low labor medicated coconut oil method

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by juke52, Oct 26, 2013.

1. #1 juke52, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    I've spent the last few years experimenting with the various methods of extracting active ingredients from herb in order to make edibles. I've used stove top, improvised double boiler, oven and crock pot methods, with and without water, using coconut oil, butter, olive oil, canola oil, and even bacon fat, all with varying degrees of success. Thanks to the generous guidance of several experienced and knowledgeable posters here (especially Bad Kitty Smiles and Psychedelic Sam) I've come up with a method that is perfect for my needs and works the same way every time.

However, my living situation does not permit me to take over the kitchen for extended periods of time, and stealth is a big issue. I live in a house with kids, and non-weed-friendly guests and family members frequently coming and going, etc., so I don't often have big blocks of time available to devote to making medicated oil. I also don't have large quantities of raw material to work with. Plus I'm also kind of lazy, and don't want to work too hard at this. So I've adapted and adjusted some of the best methods I've found to my own situation, and after some trial and error, I've settled on a method that really suits my requirements. I want to share it with folks who may be in similar circumstances, and may not have the time or inclination to go through the hundreds of pages of posts on this subject looking for info that may (or may not) be useful or relevant to them.

Before we start though, the one thing I've found to be uniformly true across all the various methods I've experimented with: a good extraction takes time. There is no good substitute for time. You can get some results with quicky methods like firecrackers and teas, but if you're in a hurry and have limited quantities of raw materials, you're better off smoking or vaping, because the quicky methods simply are not very efficient at extracting active ingredients. My method does take a little time, but it's efficient, effective, low-labor, and stealthy – no smell, and no need to take over the kitchen.

Here's what you need:
    • Two and a half days worth of patience. Mandatory!
    • Herb – I use about 10 grams (I don't have a scale, so I eyeball it – do a Google search for an image of “one gram of cannabis” for a general idea of how much that is), which for me makes about 40 powerful doses, but the amount can be adjusted as long as you keep the ratio of herb to oil the same.
    • Coconut oil – a 16 ounce jar is about $3, and can be found at most supermarkets.
    • Soy lecithin granules. This is optional, but it DOES make a difference. I got a large container (basically a lifetime supply, since very little is needed per batch) from Whole Foods for somewhere around $10.
    • A grinder. I use a coffee grinder, but anything that gets the raw material ground to about the consistency of coarsely ground black pepper will do. (I suppose you could even use one of those kitchen pepper mills, but clean it first, unless you want your edibles to have a south-of-the-border kick.)
    • A crock pot.
    • An empty glass jar with a top. My preferred jar is a 16 salsa jar from Trader Joe's, because it's short and somewhat wide. It needs to fit in the crock pot with the crock pot lid on.
    • An oven-safe dish and some aluminum foil to cover it tightly. This is for decarbing, which makes a difference and is really worth the little bit of extra time it takes to do.
    • A kitchen strainer – one of those little hand-held things that looks sort of like an ice cream scooper, with a half circle of wire mesh and a handle.
    • Some cheese cloth – available at any supermarket in the baking aisle. A package is around $2, and will be enough for quite a few batches.
    Once you have gathered all of the above, you'll be set for a lots of batches. You won't have to go shopping again for anything else (except herb and coconut oil.)

Let's get started.
    • Grind herbs until they're around the consistency of coarsely ground black pepper. Lots of crystals will separate from the leafy material. Be sure to clean your grinder of all of these and add them back in with the ground herb.
    • Decarb. Spread the ground herbs thinly in the baking dish, seal dish with aluminum foil, and bake at 220F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take the dish out and let it cool. This is the only point where any ambient smell is generated, but if the baking dish is sealed and allowed to cool before uncovering it, it's basically imperceptible, since nothing is burned at these temps.
    • While decarbing, take 8 oz. of coconut oil (half of the 16 oz. jar) and put it into the empty salsa jar. Place this on top of the oven. Coconut oil is a solid below 76F, and a liquid above 76F. The warmth of the oven will melt it to its liquid state, which is what we want.
    • Once the herb is decarbed and the baking dish has cooled, add the decarbed herb to the liquid coconut oil, put the lid tightly on the jar, and shake it up.
    (As a quick side note, I mentioned the stealthy aspect of this method. The above process is the only part where you'll need to use your kitchen. Figure on around 45 minutes. After this, we use the crock pot. I put the crock pot on my basement workbench, where no one in my house ever goes, but this could be done anywhere – a closet, a bedroom, the garage, wherever it works for you. The crock pot doesn't get hot enough to burn anything, and because the oil jar is sealed, there's no smell.)
    • Fill your crock with water up to the point where the salsa jar is almost but not quite covered – you don't want the jar completely covered with water, but it needs to be surrounded by water to a point above the level of the oil in the jar. Turn the crock pot on high, put in the jar of oil and herb, and put the cover on the crock pot.
    • Now go about your life for the next 24 hours. If you think about it and are able, come back and remove the jar from the water (it'll be hot, so use a rag or something to grip it) and shake vigorously once in a while. No big deal though if you can't.
    • After 24 hours (or so), remove the jar from the crock pot, and let it cool a bit. (You may notice white mineral deposits from the water bonding to the outside of the jar as it dries – no worries, it's normal.)
    • Once it's cooled enough to touch, remove the lid from the jar of oil and herb, add a tablespoon of soy lecithin granules, seal it again, and shake vigorously. The granules won't dissolve immediately - don't worry about it.
    • Some of the water will have evaporated from the crock pot during the previous 24 hours. Refill it with water up to the original level, make sure it's still set to “high”, put the sealed jar back in there, and put the lid back on the crock pot.
    • Come back every few hours to shake the oil.
    • Leave it in the crock pot for at least 12 hours. 18 hours won't hurt. 24 hours max. I split the difference and go with 18 hours.
    • After 18-ish hours, turn off the crock pot, remove the jar of oil, leave the lid on and let it cool to room temperature by itself until the oil becomes solid again. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SPEED THE COOLING PROCESS! If you submerge the glass jar in cold water, put it in the refrigerator, outside in cold weather, etc., the sudden temperature change can shatter the glass, and everything will be lost. IMPORTANT - LET THE JAR COOL TO ROOM TEMP AND LET THE OIL SOLIDIFY ON ITS OWN! Depending on how much oil is in the jar, this may take a couple of hours, so blaze up and go watch "Fight Club".
    • Once the oil has cooled to room temperature and completely solidified, put the jar in the freezer overnight, or at least for a few hours. 6 hours, 8 hours, whatever. At the very least, go blaze up and watch "Fight Club" again.
    • Remove the jar from the freezer, and let it naturally warm back to room temp. AGAIN, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SPEED THIS PROCESS! For the same reasons mentioned above, attempting to 'help' the process along can prove disastrous.
    • Once the jar of oil is room temp, the oil will probably still be in its solid state. Take a large bowl, fill it with hot tap water, and put the sealed jar in the bowl to warm up and liquefy the oil again. DON'T use a microwave to melt the oil. Again, patience, grasshopper. Add more hot tap water as needed until the oil is completely melted.
    • Once all the oil is liquefied, it's time to filter out the plant material. Place your wire mesh kitchen strainer over whatever container you'll be using to store your oil (I use a square-shaped shallow plastic Tupperware-type container, which I'll store behind the old box of baking soda in the fridge where no one will notice it, and anyone who does notice it will be afraid to look into it.) Cut a section of cheesecloth that is big enough to fold over a couple of times to create a few layers to strain the oil through, and fit it into the wire mesh 'cup' of the strainer, while leaving enough cheesecloth hanging around the outside the edges of the strainer so there's something to gather up at the top and twist when it comes time to squeeze the last few precious drops of our labors.
    • Pour the liquefied oil through the cheesecloth and strainer into your container. Press the ‘mash' down gently with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much oil as you can. Then gather up the edges of the cheesecloth at the top around the ‘mash' to make a ball, and twist it tightly like a tourniquet to squeeze out the last drops of the oil. Once every last drop has been squeezed out and the 'mash' is dry-ish and crumbly looking, toss it. You're done.
    Put your container of oil in the fridge; it will solidify to look like olive-colored butter, and can be stored in the fridge for months. You can even freeze it until use - some folks say this will help a bit more with potency. I haven't noticed that, but at any rate it doesn't hurt it.

Now, what to do with it? I always eat a test dose to check the potency first (making sure I don't have anything else to do for a while, just in case :ey:), so I'll know how much to use when I cook with it. At this point I have a pretty good idea of my ideal dosing, thanks to lots of fun trial and error with previous extractions. I know that approximately 10 grams when smoked will be about 40 doses for me (YMMV), so once it is solidified again I use a knife to draw a grid of 40 equal-sized squares into the top of the solidified oil. (This is why I used a square-shaped container – I've used a round margarine container in the past but it's more difficult to mark it into equal sized doses that way.) I just carve out one of the 40 squares from the solid oil, and eat it on a pita chip. It doesn't taste bad (again, YMMV), and the dose is perfect for my needs. But of course I don't want to eat it that way all the time, so I use the oil in cooking something tasty, portable, and convenient.

So first figure out your own best dose, then just use the right amount of oil for your ideal dosage(s) in place of that same amount of butter or oil in any recipe that calls for it.

I'm not that big a fan of chocolate, so I don't make brownies. My preferred edible is cornbread biscuits. They're super easy, cheap, tasty, effective, and keep for a very long time. Buy a 99 cent package of Jiffy brand cornbread mix at any supermarket. The mix calls for one egg and 1/3 of a cup of milk. All I do is replace the 1/3 cup of milk with 1/3 of a cup of my medicated oil. Eliminating the milk also eliminates most of the moisture from the final product, which means they'll keep for a much longer time without going bad. And replacing it with the oil means that instead of a soft ‘bread', they turn out as crispy, light, tasty and potent cornbread ‘cookies'. It may sound weird, but friends who've had them tell me that they'd eat them even without the medicated oil – they really are good. I make them in a muffin pan that is meant to make 12 muffins, splitting the batter evenly between all 12 muffins sections, which means each is only about a spoon and a half of batter, filling each muffin section only about 1/4 of the way up with the batter. Other than that, cook as directed on the package and you're in business. One half of one of these, and I'm ready to go watch "Fight Club" again. A whole one, and I become one with the movie.

I hope this helps some folks who may interested in edibles but are having a difficult time sorting through all the good and bad info online about making them. The bottom line is that they DO take some time to do right, but they're not really difficult or labor intensive to make if you have a little patience and follow the directions. The process gets easier each time you do it, and if you do it right, they are definitely worth the effort. Enjoy!

2. #2 juke52, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    <sup>Up, and also...</sup>

<sup>I mentioned in the post above that I'd used bacon fat for extraction once.  I don't see any other posts referring to this, so I wanted to elaborate just a little bit here.</sup>

<sup>When I cook bacon, I always do it in the microwave.  Put a paper towel or two on a plate, a few strips of bacon on that, and a paper towel on top.  3 minutes in the microwave, and boom, perfect bacon, with most of the fat drained away from it.  And the fat that is cooked off is filtered through the paper towels and is perfectly clear and clean of all debris in the bottom of the plate under the paper towel. So I started collecting this purified bacon fat until I had enough for a small herbal extraction. Once I had about half a cup, I used a few grams of herb and a stovetop improvised double boiler extraction method (a small covered pot inside a large pot of water.)  It turns out bacon fat is a good extraction medium, I would assume because it's a pure fat.  It does a very good job of absorbing what needs to be absorbed from the herb.  BUT...two important points to keep in mind: 1., I'm not sure it would work well with brownies or your typical baked sweet treats, because it does retain a little of the bacon-y goodness in the flavor.  (I melted it into some soup.  MMmmm.) And 2., it may be just me, but it took a LONG time to metabolize and get an effect.  The effect was powerful, but it literally took like 4 hours before it started coming on.  My conclusion - bacon fat seems to be metabolized very slowly (by me anyway - YMMV), so this method of extraction would be best if you wanted a delayed reaction.  For instance, if I was going on a long plane trip and wanted to consume something before I left for the airport that I wanted to kick in after we're in the air.</sup>

3. So i pretty much do the same proccess with different tools. I use a convectional oven. Only difference with me is that i heat it once for 4 hours let cool. Freeze over night. Then heat again for 2 hours and strain after its out the oven. Do you think if i were to increase the time I process the first run it could make a more potent oil?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Yes. As a general rule, the longer you extract, the more you extract. I'm not sure exactly when you hit the point of diminishing returns, I.e., degrading potency, but as long as temps are controlled it's not going to be within the first 24 hours.

I'd recommend extending the second heating though, after the freeze. The way I understand it, the point of freezing is to force more breakdown of active ingredients into the oil by subjecting them to opposite temperature extremes. If the freezing causes cellular matter to break up more, then more heat afterwards should help with absorbing more of the good stuff into the oil.

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
     Wow, a lot of effort went into typing all that out, good job! Don't forget, that according to the most well regarded experts and even to potency analysis labs used by dispensaries around the country and world, that the potency of our medicine can and will suffer after nothing more than a long day in a hot car, and CBN production via the degradation of THC will begin long before the outright destruction of THC.

The tutorial otherwise is a great job, and sounds quite a lot like the methods we teach at the CannaPharm, right down to several of the steps and terminology!

My only gentle suggestion again would be that two or three separate sessions of twelve, to eighteen, to twenty four hours (?) is just very excessive if you would like a large amount of THC to remain in your finished oil, based only on decades of experience and lab analyzed sample results. My guess is that if you have toyed with your times and your journey led you here, you must enjoy the sedative sleepy stone caused by very elevated CBN levels, and you may find THC outright uncomfortable or just unfulfilling to your experience.

If extraction is the concern and cause for the excessive heating time just consider how quickly cannabis is washed for concentrates, that process takes only a matter of seconds in as many as two or three washes and it is usually performed ice cold, a good oil is nearly as powerful a solvent as alcohol or butane in terms of the speed of the plant matter being stripped of its glandular material. The extraction occurs very early on, we continue heating oil for hours after that to improve the effectiveness of our oil because extraction is not where the process ends, it's just the beginning! It's why premature oils made by newer users will often continue to improve, even after the inert plant matter has been removed. But there is a limit to the amount of good that excessive heat can do. That is why we store herb in sealed jars that should be kept in cold and dark places, because even a little heat can cause a lot of damage by altering the medicinal contents of the herb in just a few hours of time. Here is some more useful reading on heating times, crock pot use and degradation:

"...During analysis you will often begin to see a marked increase in CBN content and decrease in THC around the 5 - 6 hour mark at the average extraction temps exceeding 160 - 180 F, and the warmer your temps beyond that point, the earlier CBN formation begins to occur."

(The second paragraph)
    "...Crock pots were not intended to control the temperature of oil-dense solutions, this is why the temperatures rise higher and faster with oil, than what is suggested by water based guides on crock pot thermal regulation according to their temperature gauges. In other words the low temperature setting on a crock pot, when filled with oil, is higher than it is with the same setting on the same crock pot with a meat roast, or a chilli, that has a liquid content predominantly made up of water rather than oil.
     Using it as the base for a double boiler set up, seems like a better solution, but you still need to prevent the jar from making contact with the liner, you need to be certain you've coped with the movement of the jar, and you must stay on top of the evaporation which can shatter both the ceramic liner of the crock pot, and the glass jar containing your precious herb oil, if the water line is allowed to fall too low for too long. So long as you keep on top of the evaporation, and either secure your jar in a wire canning rack or line the base and sides of the ceramic liner with a towel to protect he jar, it's a bit safer. This is why the oven or a true double boiler are suggested most often for temperature regulation and control at the CannaPharm with a crock pot being the worst case scenario tool for heating."

"...And just as important, the freezing period or periods in between heating sessions are recommended at the Pharm for the purpose of safely increasing the bioavailability caused by the heated segment of the process, the freeze and thaw action allows for expansion and contraction of individual cannabinoid clusters which aids in bioavailability and oil penetration at a microscopic level, without relying on additional hours of heat and degradation.

Always remember that the length and temperatures used during your process will have a dramatic effect on the sensations provided by your oil, due to the changes you encourage with heat and time by manipulating the ratio of active and available cannabinoids. Your oil will come out very differently from one batch to the next if you choose to heat for more or less time, even though extraction completes very early in the process! Extraction plays only a small role when making oil, it is the quickest and simplest step, finding your preferred ratio of degenerative components and encouraging bioavailability is the bulk of the little effort required. This is one huge advantage edibles have over smoking bongs; you can have much greater control over the outcome of the experience, and if you are careful not to over process or degrade your meds too dramatically you will produce many more, and stronger sessions, than that same herb would have provided in smoke form." - BKS

Also remember that bacon fat is not ideal for working with cannabis glandular material! We use it for gourmedibles because it is fancy, but knowing full well that absorption will be hindered and overall effects will be decreased due to the differing chemical make up of the bacon oil and its long chain triglycerides when compared to the SCT and MCTs we rely on when making the best canna oils.

Here is an example of a treat made with infused bacon fat....

[​IMG]

Another excerpt Kat wanted us to share on making oil in jars, if you'd like an extra tip for improving your odor control:

"... Canning jars are not and were never meant to be odor proof when heated, they are actually designed to vent steam and odors when heated, preventing pressure and explosions. It smells less than open-air oil cooking certainly, but the odor is much more than we realize, especially where our noses become admittedly a little numb to the scent of the herb we're working with at any given time, this is why we recommend using flexible containment when heating oil, and the solution here is to simply encase the jar with an oven bag. Unlike the jar, the bag can expand dramatically with the heated internal atmosphere if left with room to do so, meaning it will still remain contained (as seen in the demos I will link below).
     These are the same bags used to wrap those same canning jars, to keep them odor proof, during travel and transportation... this is because, with temperatures fluctuating and causing inflexible jars to occasionally gas off and leak odors, low porosity oven bags are actually superior to canning jars when it comes to containing odor, even while cool. They can be used to make your oil inside of directly, and if you're using them just to seal a secondary container, they can be reused a great many times before wearing down." :)

Here are two examples of oven bags being used. A single burner hot plate or small toaster oven can easily be used in a dorm, a closet or a basement, you can make good oil including the steps of decarboxylation, just about anywhere! Kat even details how to decarb using a double boiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa9a1riXl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6wKwQO6Ko

Also before I sign off, just be wary NEVER to let a crock pot evaporate below the 3/4 - 1/2 way point at the very lowest; this can cause the ceramic bowl that conducts the heat from the element to the water or food, to shatter! If you must leave it going over night be absolutely sure to top it off and seal the lid very well to prevent as much evaporation as possible. I know Kat has a file on that on here too somewhere, but that's one I could remember for myself, from half a century of crocking!

We hope this helps, and that you all had a happy and well medicated Halloween, we sure have!

With patients, checking in from Kat's kitchen - BadKat's CannaPharm | Personal Assistant

Happy Halloween!!!!

[​IMG]

(This is where Kat spent her weekend, going out and educating patients on a large scale and speaking at big festivals takes a lot out of her, this is why she's had us taking care of her so much this month but the festival season is winding down in this part of the country.)

[​IMG]

(Some quick Medicated Mutilated Eyeballs., Kat let us help make a few batches while she was busy with the pies and resting, she kept saying: "messier, make them messier, they need to look all grody!" haha, she made the really veiny looking ones when she had the time. Last year they were all resting in a bed of oozing raspberry jelly, it looked and tasted incredible! But this is easier for sharing, we have pics of them bagged up and ready to be tossed to the crowd. We usually just help answer her mail and gather supplies, and sometimes we help make edibles with Kat, but unless she's sick and patients need it fast she does all of the oil work herself all hands on, just to make sure that it is perfect.)

6. #6 juke52, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for checking in, member of the BKS team!  I'm flattered that my little method has come to your attention.  Of course I defer to Kat's knowledge and experience, and welcome any and all comments, suggestions, etc.

A few comments though:

I honestly haven't noticed any particularly narcotic effects with this extraction vs. smoking or vaping the same herbs.  I regularly have one of the resulting edibles before a night out, and they're definitely not 'knock out drops'.  And I having nothing at all against THC - that's why I'm here!  Much of the time, I actually prefer more 'up' / THC effects, and this oil seems to provide me a good balance of head / body effects.  Possibly an explanation for this is related to an assumption in your note about the temp of the crock pot.  You suggest that the jar should be suspending in the water to prevent movement of the jar; this assumes that the crock pot is hot enough to create a boiling motion in the water that would cause the jar to move.  Maybe it's just my crock pot, but even on 'high', the water in the crockpot never boils or gets hot enough to cause the jar to move.  I haven't checked the actual temp of the water (although I will next time!), but the jar never moves - not even a little.  There also isn't much evaporation of the water in the crock pot.  Over 24 hours in the covered crock pot, less than an inch of water is steamed away.  So maybe my crock pot isn't running as hot as others do, which may have some effect on my (good) results.  I'm actually curious how crock pot water at 160 to 180F would cause the jar to move - it's below boiling, so there's no movement of the water, right?  I mean, it's just a bowl of hot water, and unless there's some physical phenomenon that occurs that I don't know about, the water shouldn't move unless it's boiling or close to it.

I will say this: I've done this same method but with only 6 to 8 hours in the same crock pot, and the results were less potent.  I ultimately settled on 24 hours out of convenience - I can start one night after everyone has gone to bed, and return to it the next night after everyone has gone to bed.  And remember one of my primary requirements is stealth, followed closely by minimal human intervention.  I may be giving up a little something in return, but I am experiencing consistent success so I'm pretty happy with the balance at this point. 

I'm also curious about your references to crock pots heating oil differently than they heat water, as far a temp control in concerned.  Am I missing something?  The crock pot in my method isn't filled with oil, which is what your quote above seems to be suggesting.  It's filled with water, with a sealed jar of oil in the water.  So essentially it's the water that is heating the oil, not the crockpot.  I think of it as a sort of low-temp double boiler that doesn't actually boil.  What I'm saying is that I don't see how that point applies to my situation.  And while a crock pot may not be the recommended tool, it's the only tool at my disposal for providing heat in a stealthy and unsupervised way.

Also, I'm not using canning jars, so that doesn't really apply either.

I wish I was able to use a full kitchen and all the available technology and tools used in the best possible scenarios.  But as I said at the top of my original note, that's not an option for me, nor I imagine is it for many others who are interested in edibles.  Stealth and ease are crucial for me - without them, I wouldn't be able to make edibles at all.  The method I described is the best I've been able to come up with so far with the limitations I have.  No doubt I'll continue to tweak and improve it - for one, at your recommendation I'm going to try a shorter initial heating time the next time out.  If you or anyone at BKS Industries :) has any more suggestions that will help improve my results without compromising the stealthiness and low-labor aspects of my method, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

PS - will you ask Kat if she'll marry me?  :love: 

7. One more point on my method above: As I mentioned above, I've been getting approximately four doses per gram of dry herb, or one dose per .25g of raw material.  That appears to be considerably better than many of the examples I've seen people writing about on GC.  I often see people referring to using a gram or more of raw material per dose of edibles.  IMO, if someone is using that much herb to get a dose of their butter / oil, there's something wrong with their extraction method.  And BTW, I'm not using designer brand herb, just average grade home grown.  

If anyone takes the plunge and uses the method I describe in the post above, I'd be very interested in hearing about your results!

8. Im actually in the middle of this process right now and I will definitely post my results, I can say that my jar is moving quite alot and Ive been keeping an eye on the water level all day, I started at about 9 this morning. As far as smell, there does seem to be a hint but like you said our crock pots are different. My guess is you may have a smaller crock pot. My only question now is should I set mine to low?

9. Yes, it sounds like your crock pot may be cooking at a higher temp than mine. If your jar is moving, yes, set the crock pot to low and see if the jar settles down. If that doesn't help, then I'd recommend putting a small washcloth or some folded up paper towels under the jar to keep it from bouncing against the bottom of the crock pot.

10. BTW, since it seems your crock pot is hotter than mine (hot enough to get the jar moving, which isn't the case with mine), I'd also suggest following the knowledgeable advice from Bad Kat Labs above, and shorten your cooking time. 6 to 8 hours may be enough at hotter temps.

11. Thanks for getting back Juke, and thanks for the write up! Im already at the 24 hour mark I  just kept adding water every couple hours to settle the jar down. I have fridays off so why not cater to my oil all day? Im going to pick up some soy lecithin from the market and Ill let it cook on "low" for another 6 before I freeze, Which will put me right at 30 hrs. Ill keep updating my run . 

12. So RAS, any update?

13. Indeed! 12 hrs in the freezer and this afternoon I figured why not try the "cookie" recipe you suggested since I had a few boxes of jiffy mix. I can say these lil guys are definitely potent. I had 3 and Ive been feeling nice for a few hours. I did have a strong smell when making the cookies,but at my house stealthiness is not an issue. I ended yielding about 7oz oil after straining, which gives me 3 batches of 12 muffins, and if 3 cookies is all I need then this is great news! The resulting product supplies me with 12 daily doses from around 10g and considering when smoked that would only last 3, this would be the most economic method for me. See, great news! 
    So all in all this definitely is a great way of making a nice potent oil. I think I like the results thus far, but I will be experimenting with different time/ temp trials. This will be my new preferred method and its simple to keep consistent as long as the basic formula is followed. Big Up Juke for posting!  

14. RAS TAFARI, that seems to be an awful lot of oil for only 10g. What type of oil did you use? You know you don't have to use much at all, right? 

15. I've done the BKS method, crock pot with water for 24 hrs, crock pot with just oil 24 hrs and it seems the best edible I had was when I cooked it for 5 mins in butter.  I only used  gram of mids and it lasted all day with a great body high.  I was never able to duplicate the results again, but it is my standard that i compare everything else too.  I think the next best method is where you cook it on low for a small time then freeze it 24 hrs.  I was able to get blasted off .5 gram of dank, which would be like 15-20$ a gram, whereas the mids cost about 3-4$ a gram.  

Also it seems kinda annoying how bks team or whatever tries to hikjack all the threads.  They post a long reply with so many pics and stuff to make it seem so legit, but they should just post a link and thats it.  If they gonna do that, we should just have a thread where we ask bks what we should do.  Its just annoying as  almost every topic in here gets a repost by their team.