Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hash + Butter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by EastBayFire510, Oct 28, 2012.

1. I know how to make cannabutter with the actual trim. Now I have lots of hash and want to make cannabutter but don't know if you follow the same exact steps. Do I leave it cooking for the same time I do with trim or is it shorter?

No threads on here actually have information on this. I want to make some strong edibles out of the hash which is dry ice hash made. How many grams per stick of butter?

2. #2 dOpEsIcK42o, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
    I went all out and used 7-10g with one stick. Just cooked it right in like you would normally. Made chocolate chip cookies. I havent gotten as baked since i've done that. I could not walk straight :D It was fucking EPIC. Batch made about 20-25 cookies. I ate 7....that was way overkill lol

3. I'd just put it in a crockpot on low for a few hours. Two sticks butter and about 5-10 grams of hash, but maybe more depending how retarded you want to be. I let mne cook for like 12 hours. I made some butter yesterday and some brownies.i ate them and teleported to today. What I mean is, I lost a lot of time man. :)

4. Okay, so basically the same process.

I'm going to be making a set of 12 brownies per stick of butter. Would 3 grams per stick of butter be enough to get a good buzz going? I don't want to get stupid, just enough to get me medicated.

Thanks for the advice.

5. I put about 10-12 grams (x2 sticks of butter) in of bud, not hash, which is essentially concentrated trichromes. I used one stick of butter and made 8 brownies about 2x2 in size. I made them to get medicated as well, but I used very potent buds, crushed them in an electric coffe grinder into dust (to create more surface area) then slow cooked that for 12 hours on low in a crockpot, which was strained through a cheesecloth into a bowl. The butter is the most potent I've ever made. I'd say go at least four grams, per stick but that depends on your level of pain. Mine is constant and off the charts so I always add more.

6. I was thinking of switching to olive oil instead of using butter. I'll just stick with butter then, and I'll try 3 grams of hash to see if it does the trick, if not, I'll up the dose. Thanks for the help.

7. #7 BadKittySmiles, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012

Have you checked out the stickied threads (ie. the threads stuck to the top of this section of the forum)?

The first page of the CannaPharm sticky is just about devoted to processing with dry-sifted hash!

And later on, there are also concentrate (BHO/Iso/Phoenix Tears etc.) oil tutorials.:)

This thread topic comes up every few days/weeks, so I've found some relevant info to paste below....

----

It's the same glandular material, and as such you'll be following the same process to form a bioavailable solution. We don't make
    oil 'just' to remove the good stuff from the inert plant matter, after all! :)

If anything, concentrates for instance sometimes take a little extra effort or manual agitation to disperse compared to bud, where
    the material is more densely packed and stuck together, rather than being more evenly distributed inside individual trichomes..
    (alcohol extracts the majority of trichome potency in a matter of seconds, and oil in a matter of minutes, taking longer primarily due
    to its thicker nature.... there's more to it than just dissolving the material to the naked eye! We process in edible solvents, not just to
    extract potency but because our solvents are responsible for facilitating absorption, via the creation of a bioavailable
    solution!)

Remember that good edibles will provide stronger and longer-lasting sensations, than you'd get from smoking the same material! :eek:

So if you follow a good medical oil recipe, be sure when it comes to sampling your edibles that you proceed with caution!

Although you can get away with using less oil without over-saturation and a loss in bioavailability with dry sifted hash, a good
    goal for a concentrate oil, is to use just a little more oil in weight, than the hash you're working with, or not quite a 1 : 1 ratio.

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe,
    oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

And the concentrate tutorial...

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included...
    similar to Phoenix Tears & BHO, but bioavailable & made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

- Process as described for a cerebral, potentially mind-racy 'high'.

or

- Continue heat processing your oil in 40 - 60 minute increments up to a total of 5 - 6 hours, for a more sedative, couch-lock 'stone'.

The latter occurs due to the formation of additional CBN (and subsequently an increase in the ratio of CBG), via THC degradation.

You'll likely find your preference somewhere in between :)

The best oil source you could use, would be coconut oil, but the same process can be followed with Clarified Butter...

You really do want to spend the extra ten or so minutes clarifying your butter, to remove the water content and milk solids.
    This ten or so minute step saves you TONS of time once you begin working with your hash (and to boot, it also allows you to
    seal your container better, without that moisture creating steam to break your seal... this is great for both odor control and terpene
    preservation). :hello:

The removal of water contamination is the crucial part, more so than the milk solids, where it's well known now that water only
    dilutes your solvent, wets and interferes with the material you're trying to break down, and overall hinders the process and
    progress of the oil, prolonging the required exposure to heat.

A few photo excerpts from the above tutorials... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few things you can make...

I whip these up almost a few times a month (and with a little modification, as an occasional treat, it's not all that horrible for those watching their waistlines :p )...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was part of a small brunch, for guests, a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck, and have fun! [​IMG]

8. Didn't know about that clarifying butter method, will definitely try that next. I will be using butter for my first couple runs, then I'll try olive oil because it's cheaper than coconut oil. Would it be advised to use lecithin when I mix the Hash + butter or is that just for cooking oil + hash? Thanks.

9. You'd be better off with the clarified butter than with olive oil, unless you're aware of a liver metabolism issue you may have. :)

Lecithin can help improve and level out absorption in everything from butters and oils, to even glycerin tincture and green dragons! Some people feel like it strengthens and lengthens the experience, while others feel they get more of an onset 'rush' without it, and they enjoy that in spite of a shorter duration.
    Personal preference aside, like a lot of pharmaceutical medications, our bodies also absorb and process chemicals a bit differently from one another, due to our genetic makeup, our diet, and our environment and history of chemical exposure (or digestive damage).

If you have a lot of hash to play with, I'd suggest making a few batches of oil one right after another, or all at once, then you can experiment with a pinch more or less lecithin than what is suggested in the tutorials (and you can experiment by increasing your processing times in brief stints or increments, too, like I'd mentioned above :) ).

edit -

(In case you were wondering why you'd want to stick with butter :p Edibles are absorbed and tend to work best for 99% of patients and recreational users, when the oil contains easily absorbed medium-chain triglycerides or 'MCTs'.

Medium-chain triglycerides are absorbed rapidly via the portal vein and liver, without even requiring the aid of bile salts, while the longer-chains found in most common cooking oils and lard can't easily pass through the 'arms' of the portal vein, and will promote a more delayed lymphatic absorption and delivery to the blood stream, which for the most part bypasses the liver, and prevents you from benefiting from the D9THC to 11-OH-THC conversion that takes place there... 11-OH-THC is considered to be as much as '5 times' more psychoactive and sedative than THC!
    Coconut and palm kernel oils generally have an over 60% MCT content, butter contains only about 15% max depending on the cow and its feed, while olive oil contains 0%.... Most vegetable oils and non-dairy animals fats have few to NO medium-chain triglycerides!

People with over-active livers and enzymatic systems, in spite of a recent meal, can sometimes over-metabolize cannabinoids rather than causing the gentle conversion to 11-OH-THC ((this is why a small meal before an edible is recommended, to avoid or eliminate the consequences of what is known as 'first pass metabolism'; the meal partially depletes your enzymes, 'satisfies' your liver, and simply put it prevents the system from being too rough on your potency :p ))... if you have more success with a LCT oil, than with MCT oil, it may be a good idea to get to a dr. and have them screen your liver (& even kidney) health!)

10. I have about 150 grams of dry ice hash to play with. Would coconut oil be a better alternative than butter? I'm trying to find something else other than butter to start making my edibles with, mostly because butter stinks up my house.