Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. You're correct but I wasn't referring to you. I get a lot of private messages from folks that are bashful in a full forum. I probably coach more people through on pm than I do with the thread. It keeps me busy. You I still hold out hope for :D. Some were an easy fix, such as additional reduction, and some still have me scratching my head.

Sometimes there's a learning curve or acclimation period. For some, it may not be as good sublingually as in a drink. My experience has it getting better with age. Shake it up before using if it sat for a while.

2. It's a pain!! Maybe if the soil was drier it would be easier. I recycle my soil, so I don't like to let it dry out completely.
    I'm actually gonna start my cuts in plastic pots for a few weeks, to encourage larger tap-roots. The smart pots are too effective at what they do :eek:

[​IMG]

This was a small plant and only a fraction of the root mass. I wish I had more to play with . . . . It's something though. The main trunk was only about the size of a sharpie marker. The clone was only vegged 3 weeks.

3. We gotta start somewhere, I guess.:)

4. People in CA, ever try to order 190 online? They don't claim any shipping restriction to CA on the sites I checked, which was a few.

What do you all pay for everclear in your areas? I get mine for $35/1.75 L

That is as cheap as I can find it on the internets anywhere, so I guess it is a good deal. That's just at my local store. I bet I could find it cheaper in a bigger town.

5. I was wondering if it could be bought online. In Phoenix I pay $40 for 1.75L, $20 for 750ml. Yours is the lowest I've seen.

6. I have started my grow journal and completed enough to invite guests. Feel free to drop by and offer your insights. I am a real noob there. I feel completely out of place over there. When I first started the thread, I finished the first post about midnight and went to bed. The next afternoon when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. It had already fallen back to the third page. It's quite a busy forum. I don't know if I'm ready for the big time. I'm comfortable in my niche here. Oh, well, time to broaden my horizons...and at my age, even. Now that I have it going, I'll be adding to it daily (maybe).

So, the name of the thread in the Indoor Grow Journals forum is "But what do I know?...." - my usual snappy wit at play there :rolleyes:. The link is in my signature.

Btw, don't laugh too hard.......please?

7. Sounds good Sam. I will be checking it out.

8. #528 PsychedelicSam, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    :yummy: Homemade CannaMolasses Cookies :yummy:

Canna-Molasses Cookies

Ingredients
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted canna-butter
    3/8 cup molasses
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    2 cups white flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cream butter in a mixer or food processor.

Add molasses and sugar to creamed butter and mix well. Then add the egg, mix well, and set aside.

Combine the flour with the salt, cinnamon, ginger and baking soda (all the dry ingredients) in a separate bowl. Mix well.

Add the dry-ingredients mixture to the butter/molasses mixture and mix until blended. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour to make the dough more manageable.

Make round dough balls approximately two inches in diameter. Either roll them in sugar to coat the cookie, or place them directly on a greased cookie sheet, 2 to 3 inches apart. Edit: I left out something on the recipe, If you like the flat crisper cookies like I do, like the picture, press down the mounded cookies with a flat bottom glass or something with the bottom dipped in sugar each time.

Bake for 8 to 11 minutes, depending on the level of crispness you prefer.

Remove from the oven. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for one minute. Then remove the cookies to a cooling rack. Makes 24 to 36 cookies depending on cookie size.

Store with a piece of bread to maintain cookie softness.

Molasses cookies.jpg

9. I just want you to know that I found this thread a few days ago and I've read it all the way through. I think I'm in love! This stuff sounds great and I'm very excited to try it. :) I'm about 6 weeks from harvesting my first real grow and I'll have lots to play with.

I am personally interested in using this for edibles, but after reading everything here, I'd really like to make a killer massage oil as well. My wife and my room mate both suffer from chronic back pain. Not anything debilitating, but I end up giving them fairly lengthy back rubs. My room mate is by far the worst. She's all of 115lbs and I'm a pretty large fellow and the other night it was all I had to press deep enough to work some of the pain out. If I could make a massage oil that would help them, that would be wonderful!!

One question though, I'm slightly confused about the weed you use... Is it dried first? I planned to dry and jar all my buds, but can I skip that when making GD? Is the weight ratio any different with dry/cured vs fresh from the plant?

I'll be lurking for the next 2 months, but after that, I'll post up anything I do with my GD! I love to cook, so that'll be fun. :)

Thank you for this thread and for the way you write. It's pretty easy to understand and your humor and good spirit really shine through in you posts. :) You really know how to discuss things properly and it's quite refreshing.

10. #530 PsychedelicSam, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Well, you should drop by more often, mr_goodwrench_0. You're going to give me a big head. In all seriousness, though, you just validated the reason I began this journey and during the trip I have learned a lot and I shared that with you all. It's a continuing process. You read it all, all those words? That's what I call perseverance :eek:. I'm glad you found us. I say "us" because we're all contributor's here and I'm looking forward to your contribution. Lurk as long as you want. If you have any questions, or just want to chime in, don't be afraid to ask at any time.

You do not need to cure your harvest for this purpose, but the better cured, the better the taste. It does need to be fully air dried. But there is really no need to use buds if you're a grower. Use your trim and popcorn. I guarantee that there is no difference in potency or psychoactivity. As I've just been discovering the qualities of the fan leaves, too, so after you've flushed your crop and harvest it, take those fan leaves and use those for your edibles GD. You concentrate it more but it gives a quality effect. Another good use for your fan leaf GD is to make the coconut oil for your pain cream.

The pain cream is excellent for a massage. The more it's massaged in, the better it works. The cream I make has tangerine oil in combination with the natural coconut aroma and that gives it an added benefit for a massage, no medicinal or locker room odor. Here's something I've only mentioned in private messages. If you use it to massage your lady roommate's back, be careful. It has been known to enhance certain "stimulations" which could be embarrassing - unless you're into that sort of thing.:D

So pull up a chair and hang out with the rest of us. Before you're finished, you'll be a tincture and edible king. :wave:

BTW, there is a small difference in air dried and cured bud because curing, however it's done, is really just a drying process. If you let your bud air dry in the right conditions, it's as good as jarring and I like it better. With my little grow, I'm going to try a vacuum seal cure. I've seen some good results from others and want to try that. Anyway.....Later

11. #531 Namak, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
    Hey Sam, I am really looking forward to making your GD recipe on page 3, but I have two questions to ask you. When you say to decarb the marijuana for step one, do you bust it up first, or just toss them in the oven in nugs? Secondly, when you pull it out is the weed still very green? Every time I try to make a tincture it fails miserably because of the decarb step in most guides. Sorry if this all sounds trivial, i'm completely new to edibles and tinctures.

12. #532 PsychedelicSam, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    No problem, Namak, I'm glad you dropped by. In answer to your questions, I do break the buds down before decarb so the heat can reach everything evenly. I don't recommend coffee grounds fine, just to a good joint rolling texture. Like from an herb hand grinder or a food processor.

Secondly, yes, if your pot was green when it went in, it should still be green when it comes out but maybe a little darker green, not much. It should never turn brown unless it started out that way. It should never smell really strong. If you're having problems with decarb, do it like this, exactly. I have never had an issue.

Preheat oven to 240F using an oven thermometer to verify if available. Place the reefer in a pyrex dish and place in the oven after it's reached temp. Don't preheat the dish or place the weed in the oven while it's preheating, no matter what you've read. Don't cover with foil unless smell is a big factor. After the oven has reached temp, place the reefer dish in the oven for 40 minutes as thin you can spread it. At 25-30 minutes you'll begin to get a light reefer smell, like when you open a jar of fresh cure. Just like that, nothing acrid or strong. It will fill the kitchen with a great aroma and will dissipate rapidly. At that point, it's ready to jar and place in the freezer.

There is no trivial question. Decarb can be confusing at the best of times but once you master that, it will no longer be such a mystery and you'll learn how to influence the properties of your tincture by how you decarb. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Welcome to the family. :D

13. Just wanted to give an update about allbline808's request. I started today. Stay tuned.:D

14. Thanks Sam! Looking forward to see how that turns out.

15. Give me a few days to get it right then I'll post the tut. :)

16. Another Blatant Advertisement for GD Edibles

I found this a little while ago in a resurrected thread about Crockpot Cannabutter. No negative comments at all about the thread, not from me. I just want to point out the value differences between traditional cannabutter techniques and a GD infused cannabutter.

No disrespect to mitchey3886. He/she is on the ball and has the potency standardized for each batch, allowing for consistent dosing each time. Maybe they'll see the quote and check it out, too.

Just going to do a little math here and I hope I don't lose you so I guess I shouldn't finish this joint or who knows where we'll end up.:eek:. Ok, here goes. For ease, we'll break this down into an ounce comparison. In the quote above, that would be 1oz of trim per 1 lb of butter, 7g per stick. That is the recognized standard and should produce a quality product. That also means that each pound only makes 2-2.6 batches of 28 servings per batch. That's nearly half an ounce per batch. Better be good.

As I've stated here a few times, in order to have consistent quality and potency in my edibles, that my batches are 20-30 servings each, depending upon one's tolerance and desires and I will put the quality and potency (there is a difference) in competition with anyone's and dare them to beat it but you'll have to take my word for that until you try it. And also, my servings are 2-4 doses each depending on varying factors.

Now, you also know that I use 1 fluid ounce of GD per batch of edibles, whether infused into butter, oil, honey, agave nectar, etc. Since we are comparing cannabutter, let's keep it with infused cannbutter. For any new readers, the solvent transfer method for each medium is shown earlier in the thread. I use a 1:1 ratio of GD to butter for the batches in play, but this also allows me to customize a batch weaker or stronger on a batch by batch basis. So basically, GD at the ratio mentioned is equivalent in potency to the 28 serving traditional batch.

But, just to be more than fair, I'm willing to have my dominant hand - figuratively - tied to my opposite ankle - again, figuratively. I will allow 1.5 fl oz per batch to prevent any accusations of favoritism.

For one ounce of trim, we get about 12 fluid ounces of GD, net. So, that is the equivalent of 8 batches of the described edibles. The traditional method as described gets 2.0-2.6 batches per ounce of trim. Even using the higher number of 4 as the # of batches most people would get from an ounce, 7g each, we have a higher yield and that's giving up 50%. Using the standard of 1:1, that's 12 batches of the same size. That works out to 36 batches of GD infused butter compared to 8-12 for 3 ounces of trim.

Another great thing is that you don't have to use it all for one thing like butter or coconut oil or whatever. With GD, you can make several different products from the same amount of material. You can make enough butter for 4 batches anyway and still have plenty left to make elixirs or tinctures or a number of other things, all from that same ounce of trim. It's not hard let's say you want to make enough butter to have enough for 4 batches at different times. You would perform a thc transfer from the GD using, at the 1.5 oz/batch level to retain consistency, 6 ounces of GD to 4 ounces of butter.

[​IMG]

(Minus the roll)

Divide your total into however many batches you want, 4 in this case, and store in separate containers to use when and where you want. It can even be melted and used in combination/instead of oil. You just add your pre-measured cannabutter to the remaining amount of fresh butter needed for the recipe. Kept in the freezer, your butter portions will stay good for a loooong time and be ready when you want it. This also works for infused coconut oil storage.

[​IMG]

I hope you've been able to follow the math. I again want to say that I have nothing against traditional methods. I've used them, too, until I discovered this, and I know that the it can produce great results. Plus, this is a little more complicated than just putting ingredients into a pot and let simmer. No, this is just to point out the difference in value for the same amount of material and to reiterate the quality of psychoactivity and flavor of the finished product.

Ciao. :wave:

17. I've got a sneaky suspicion that this is going to be fun. I've just done a test sample before reduction and am soaring like an eagle. I ate a brownie about 45 minutes ago, too, so that might be helping because it's got a punch of it's own, but this is the best brownie/GD combo I've had maybe forever if this is the reason. If it's just the GD, then it is great and I can't wait to share the easy process with you. When I wake up tomorrow fresh, I'll try it before I do anything else. I've gotta tell you though that this is coming on like gangbusters and I can't type anymore. I used a whole dropper and wow!

Later. More tomorrow. Plus a hot chocolate mix recipe with which to enjoy your enhanced coconut oil. Bye, now.

18. Sam, it's important to note that in your calculations above, your brownies are no where near the strength of the user you randomly quoted.

In his example of one oz per 2 batches of brownies, that is equivalent to .5 grams per brownie.
    In your example of one oz per 12 batches of brownies, that is equivalent to .083 gram per brownie.

Your brownies are as 1/6th as strong.

19. I think that's his point though, he uses .083 of bud, whereas the above recipe uses .5, and they are still comparable in potency.

20. That's exactly the point. We're not talking scientific extrapolation here. Simple math. Just because someone can do long division doesn't mean that the results are accurate. No way to know that without accurate measurement. Methods of extraction are different. Alcohol extraction is better than butter extraction. Just because the commonly used measurement says mine are weak just means we need a new standard of measurement. I'm not worried about the numbers in Izzy's formula, we've had that discussion before.

But let me say this. Nobody can beat my edibles in quality or potency or psychoactivity (the most important). That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Some day GC should sponsor an edibles contest, then we'd know what's what. :D