Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Cannabis Tintcure with Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by mralan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi..

I will be making a Cannabis Tintcure soon with Apple Cider Vinegar. I have just ordered the vinegar now. This will be for pure medicinal purpose. I was going to use rubbing alcohol but couldn't buy everclear in the UK.... And I didn't really want to use that Isopryl stuff...

So has anyone done this before..?? I have seen that Rick guy who boils it all in a rice cooker and that but I don't think I will be going as far as that.

It is for topical application.

My understanding is that I can just but a load of bud in a jar with the apple cider vinegar and shake it on and off for 30 days.... Then strain it?? Is this too long or too short??

Can anyone get back to me with ANY information.. \t\t\t\t\t\t

2. I don't think this will work well, what proof (alcohol percentage) does the vinegar have? If its under 100 proof (50%), don't even bother.. Better use 150 proof and up, 195 proof being best.

And if you do make it, make sure to decarb your bud before you add it to the alcohol (you do this by putting your herb in the oven for 30 mins @220f)

3. Hi... Why wouldn't it work???

And why do I need 150 proof??? I don't think Apple Cider Vinegar has a percentage as such????

Please explain why it needs to be 150??

4. because you use alcohol as the solvent for your tincture. Everything that isn't alcohol is useless as a solvent (in this case). It would be like trying to mix the herb with water, this also doesn't work.

You can use lower proofs, but your tincture will be less efficient. And you don't have to put so many question-marks after your sentences, it makes you look like a 13 year old ;)!!!!

5. I am as inquisitive as one that's for sure...

OK yeah that makes sense now, the alcohol (and lets say olive oil) is the agent where the needed compounds bond to... am I right...?

Would olive oil be a good agent?

This is for a skin condition on my lip, rubbing alcohol is used as a preventative, as it 'seeps' into your skin and acts as some sort of anti solution, but I heard and read that the addition of THC/CBD is an added extra that does wonders....

OK so I might struggle to get EVERCLEAR 150 proof, can you suggest any other that I can use in the UK..??

Thanks ;)

6. Yes your right about the alcohol being the bonding agent part.

If you want to use this solution as an edible to get high, olive oil would not be such a good choice. If it's just for topical applications to cure some skin condition (cold soars perhaps?) then it should be just fine.

Also, you don't have to use everclear, any liquor that is high proof works, be it rum, wodka, gin,... If you want to get high using this solution, i wouldn't go below 120 proof. 100 proof does work, just not as good. And since i do not live in the UK, i can't recommend any brands.

7. It's not to get high no.... I'd have to do some baking for that.. :)

This is why I was going to go with the Rubbing Alcohol - 70% IPA Isopropyl - As I would not be able to drink it, it would be purely just for topical application as and when needed.

Yes it is for cold sores.. The key is when you feel one coming on you dab said solution with THC/Cannabis on say your lip area and it's meant to prevent them. Out of all the remedies this one makes the most sense. The THC/CBC contemt is meant to work wonders (We all know the mighty wonders of medicinal Cannabis).

So would you reccomend 70% IPA Isopropyl alcohol???

And if so what would your method be?? To make it that is?

8. That's going to be the weakest tincture ever and such a waste.

9. Gryphonics - Would you please suggest otherwise then.

I am talking with Jezn now to see how we can save 'wasting' it...

10. if its just for topical application i'd go with the isopropyl (use google first to see if this doesn't have any negative effects for your skin)

isopropyl is used to strip the thc from the plant material verry quickly, so i'm guessing a few minutes of shaking it then straining would be sufficient, you could let it sit for a few days if you want to be sure. I'm no expert on threating cold sores like this. I read about it and it seems to be effective. However, you should figure out if THCa is efficient aswell. If its not you'll have to decarb first.

11. Yeah I'll go with the isopropyl - And the de-carbing...... How would I know if I'd need to do this or is it just necessary?

12. haha, Gryphonics I like your outlook on life..

It's not to get totally fucked up, it's medicinal use. To prevent a medical condition. I don't necessarily want to get fucked up, just have it when I need it. Baking is my preferred method.

Barcardi 151, this could be a good idea, rather than that isoprypol stuff, as I have heard it's not as natural as say a grain alcohol and what not...

I will see if this is available to buy in the UK.

13. Holy shit - it's £77 a bottle....
    If I stick with the Isoprypol at least then I won't br tempted to ever drink it.. haa

14. 99% will work just fine.

15. #16 BadKittySmiles, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012

It's good that your instincts are telling you to avoid the rubbing alcohol, beyond that though you've got a bit of reading to do! :)

I definitely don't recommend using rubbing alcohol even for topical applications (ie. as the vehicle to promote transdermal penetration/absorption), the only time many of us consider it acceptable for a truly medicinal purpose, is when it's used as a solvent, that is later purged or evaporated off, and removed from the finished product. Even then, we still like to start with drinking-grade ethyl alcohol. :cool:

But that being said, simple cider vinegar has an acid content of only 4% - 6%, and a pH between 2.25 and 3.00 depending how it's made and the region it comes from... cannabis glandular material needs a MUCH higher percentage of the component it is soluble in, in order to be effective, similar to an alcohol extract.

What you have, is very primarily water.. and cannabis glandular material is not considered water soluble. :eek:

The lower the percentage, the less effective it will be, and the more processing it needs and the longer it will take to provide any sort of sensation, or absorption ability.

A strong acid can help break down cannabis glandular material (and then there's cannabis acetate) but it is not an optimal carrier for absorption, and you certainly would not want to put it on your skin, in the strength required to break down cannabis glandular material, so an additional and better carrier is still required for the eventual delivery, transdermal or otherwise.

There are SO many ways to make great topical canna oils, lotions, and creams, and gels, that I don't even know where to begin! But washing your herbs and hash in simple vinegar, is just not one of them. :p

I would recommend making an oil, glycerin or a citric acid extract that can be infused with a blend of your favorite oils, such as coconut, olive, emu and others, and I definitely suggest playing around with your favorite aromatic oils... lavender, sage, vanilla, sandalwood, eucalyptus, teatree... they are all wonderful! and many essential oils have highly medicinal and therapeutic value of their own, having analgesic, anti-inflammatory and even anti-mutagenic/anti-cancer properties to name just a few.

---

If you follow a good canna oil, glycerin or citric-lecithin extract recipe, then it's just a matter of blending to the consistency you desire with any of the above mentioned ingredients, or even your favorite designer skin-care product... I've had patients provide me with lotions, which were hundreds of dollars more expensive than the meds they had me put into them. :cool:

---

Making a good topical, is just like any edible recipe; the most important parts are the extraction and the availability of your meds.

A medium-chain triglyceride canna oil enhanced with lecithin, as it is, all on its own, is THE topical canna oil... anything you wish to do with it beyond that, is gravy.:yay:

Lecithin is used in pharmaceutical grade transdermal applications, and coconut oil is a wonderful skin carrier for minerals and vitamins, for the human equivalent of 'foliar feeding'. :D

Many people 'prep' their skin with coconut oil, before applying pharmaceutical topicals, to enhance their absorption and minimize waste. :eek:

*** To take some of the confusion and stress off, just think of the lotion or topical gel that you plan to 'build' using that oil or citric-lecithin extract, as nothing more than a simple brownie batter.

If you add your canna to that brownie batter in the wrong way, it certainly may look like a brownie (or a lotion) when it's finished... but it's not going to work. Same goes for your lotion or topical oil.

But if you take the time to promote transdermal bioavailability beforehand, you'll be rewarded with the combined and fully functional benefits of ALL the components, including your canna. :hello: ***

Here are a few places for you to begin reading...

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to BHO, but made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Easy Citric Acid & Lecithin Extraction

Easy Citric Acid & Lecithin Extraction/Infusion

[​IMG]

Remember:

Simply dissolving 'to the naked eye' in alcohol or oil, is not enough to promote trasndermal OR oral bioavailability!

Stripping glandular material is one thing, the promotion of bioavailability is another matter entirely.

That's why iso-hash can be washed in a matter of seconds, but even fully pre-activated Dragons require a bit of initial heat, and for the best effect several weeks or even months of resting, for any amount of bioavailability to occur.

Back to your topical blends... keep in mind that a drop or two is all you'll need, when working with essential oils! :eek:

(A drop or two of essential oil, per 3 - 6 fluid oz's of base-oil that is.. certain essential oils are more potent than others, a drop of sage may be sufficient but a drop of cinnamon or lemongrass oil may be too much! So add it slowly... you can always add more aromatics if you need to, but removing them without doubling the recipe is a bit difficult :D )

You can be much more liberal with your coconut, cocoa, emu, jojoba, shea, olive and other pre-made or store bought base lotions, oils and butters. :p

Hope this helps... Good luck! :smoke: :wave:

16. nvm BKS took over ^-^

17. Wow Bad Kitty a very detailed description...

Thank You very much for this..

A lot of good info not just about THC but also about good health in general.

I will have to re-read and re-read this as there's so much information.

Well the Apple Cider Vinegar can just be a healthy treat now and then, heard it's great mixed with water in the morning..

When I get time later I am going to do a lot of Google Searches on the above information...

Glycerin sounds ideal.... Is this a safe compound?

Again I will do a lot of searching on these things..

Thank You so much!

18. yes glycerin is a known safe compound (can't believe i didn't think about it myself, must be cause i never used it)

19. Hi Bad Kitty..

Just re read your post and check the link...

Wow.. Looks technical..

However, I jut found this and it looks rather easy...

Is he doing it to its maximum potential here???

HIGHTIMES.COM > Alcohol-Free Cannabis Tincture

Also, that was a lot of green.... was he using plant/leaf material too???

Ideally this is what I plan to use... Leaf as well as bud, but damn it looked like he had a few pounds in there?!

And the finished jar - looks like it will last a lifetime.. ??

Thoughts??