Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Brewing with ABV. Need advise

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by HanSmokedFirst, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I am new to this fine forum so I hope I am posting in the correct place. A friend and I are attempting to brew a cannabis beer this weekend as our summer experiment.

I am the stoner and my buddy is the home brew enthusiast. He has brewed quite a bit of beer and expressed interest attempting a cannabis beer as a way for him to possibly enjoy bud. I love both bud and craft beers and am eager for him to show me the brewing process.

I've done a fair amount of research on the subject but I can't seem to find exact details or recipes on others methods for brewing with vaped buds. This is pretty much the beer we are mirroring.

Big Honkin' Stout Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Beer Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

We will be making 5 gallons. I don't have a scale for accurate measurement at the moment but I will be getting a hold of one prior to brewing, but I estimate I have about 2.5 - 3 oz of vaped buds. (do you think this will be enough?)

The 3 main pieces of info that have eluded me thus far are how much ABV buds should we add to the secondary fermenter, and how long? We've estimated 4 weeks for this process.

Also the other main question is regarding the chlorophyll taste. A lot of what I read this has to do with people not using vaped buds, however they do a wash to reduce the chlorophyll taste. Anyone who has vaped will tell you the resulting smell leaves the buds a little nutty in scent, but does this as well as the chlorophyll taste also factor in? Do the vaped buds also need a wash? Can you wash vaped buds or will you lose the remaining THC?

If there is any info you can recommend I'd greatly appreciate it. I plan on documenting the entire process and recipe for other that might be interested.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. wow! keep us updated with pics :}

3. #3 BadKittySmiles, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012

Welcome to GC! :hello:

This comes up every few days [​IMG]

From a recent thread ( Canna-beer & http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/1033689-whoa-im-suddenly-into-wine.html#post14409316), on a similar topic, and a not-quite 'how to' for brewing, from the stickied CannaPharm thread, at the top of this very section of the forum :) :

Just have to get the 'disclaimer' out of the way, as we're not allowed to discuss brewing at GC :p

[​IMG]

-------------------

Disclaimer ([​IMG]):

We're not allowed to discuss the process of brewing, or distillation here. [​IMG]

Before you ask why, please: Don't turn this into yet another 'why not' thread!

Once the search feature is back, and if you're really still curious, you can easily find a dozen or so threads explaining why.
    Among the reasons, there's the fact that even with the numerous tutorials and threads dedicated to them, many members here often can't seem to follow instructions for making a simple firecracker properly. People frequently get ahead of themselves, get 'creative', and sample their product before even asking if it's a good idea. [​IMG]

If you get creative in the wrong way, when brewing on the other hand, the consequences can potentially be as simple as drinking harmless bacteria and vinegar, or, the consequences can be substantially more severe.

If you over-consume cannabis, or make an oil based edible wrong entirely, the worst that happens is you get very, very stoned, maybe a little nauseous or anxious, and sleep for an extra 5 or 6 hours. Medically, health-wise, you are fine after the fact and there are no long term side effects. If you screw up an edible entirely, nothing happens at all, and you're just left disappointed! No one has ever died, or suffered permanent harm, from cannabis over-consumption. A glass of high-proof red wine on the other hand, directly off the top of a 10 - 20 gallon carboy, can potentially be deadly.
    Brewing is certainly and absolutely easy to get right, if you know what you're doing and you understand the importance of sanitary tools, but if done improperly or if the novice brewer gets over-excited and 'creative', then confuses simple brewing with distillation, it can potentially cause harmful, long-term health effects. For instance, even some 'adept' brewers are often unaware that particularly high-proof wine and some beer can produce toxic or harmful levels of methanol, which needs proper purging/evaporation... this is why even some store-bought brews and (especially) red wines, can cause terribly harsh inebriation, devastating hangovers, and blackouts, even after only light consumption.

When brewing wine or beer, it's formed by fruit pectins, and to a much lesser extent, by grains. A small batch *shouldn't* be deadly, but it can still produce permanent liver and pancreas damage, and reduce their ability to function properly in the future.

A cheap wine known as 'Buckfast Tonic', for instance, has been reported in an unusually high number of violent incidents. In other countries, with less scrutiny and little to no pre-sale testing or analysis, or where illegal wines are sold openly in store-fronts while the authorities 'look the other way', hundreds of people have been killed at a time by single batches of poorly brewed, non-distilled (particularly fruit and berry-based) beverages. [​IMG]

We should be grateful that we're still allowed to discuss alcohol/hash extractions... if people abuse the rules (which is why the discussion of other substances was banned), the discussion of alcohol based extractions will very likely be the next to go!
    It wasn't all that long ago that I had to explain, painstakingly, to an insistent younger member, why he shouldn't drink an Iso-alcohol hash extract. [​IMG]

It's also just a courteous gesture to respect the rules of the forum, and the wishes of the owners who are kind enough to provide it. [​IMG]

There are a TON of forums and websites dedicated specifically to brewing, feel free to check some of them out. [​IMG]

----------------

Now that the above is out of the way, I will also say this:

You need to add an activated, and already-bioavailable concentrate or extract, either before the ferment, or after bottling and at least a few weeks prior to consumption. I recommend using a citric acid (powder, not simple lemons!) and lecithin extraction. You can also make a golden or green dragon, but adding excess alcohol before the ferment can potentially hinder the actual alcohol production that you're trying to encourage.
    Without adding a properly made, activated, bioavailable concentrate, the amount of alcohol you create is simply not sufficient to break down cannabis glandular material, nor is it enough to promote efficient bioavailability.

Adding cannabis flowers or leaves, as they are, just washed of chlorophyll, or just boiled, only serves as a flavoring/bittering element!

*** You will not create sufficient alcohol to perform an extraction, and the flavor is not very palatable unless the plant matter has been properly cured, and often even water-washed beforehand.. ***

And again, it would be for flavor alone with virtually no transfer of active potency.

I'll add the link from the 'not-tutorial' in the CannaPharm... [​IMG]

Simple: Triple Berry Hash Wine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit - Vids of the fermentation...

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost...wine3&cat=3362

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost...wine2&cat=3362

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost...wine4&cat=3362

Bear in mind, these were made for a tutorial for simple, cheap home-made 'carboys', best for short-term use, so folks can decide if this is a hobby they really want to pursue before they invest a lot of time and money... we have several 5 - 10 gallon standard glass carboys going, especially during bloom, in the grow rooms (concealed in wrapped, light-proofed cardboard); they provide fairly adequate CO2 [​IMG] )

We regularly make hash infused sake, mead, miodomel, hippocras, wheat ale and more. [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the info. Sorry if I've broken the rules about brew speak, but maybe you can riddle me this I don't think he pertains to brewing necessarily.

Can you wash vaped buds? Will you lose THC since they have already become active from vaping? Or maybe another question would be, do vaped buds still contain the plant taste to them?