hydro newbie

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by 5mokestacks, Jan 8, 2011.

1. #1 5mokestacks, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
    ok so i have a plastic container that holds 2and a half to 3 gallons of water i am using it as my bubbler til the plant out grows it.i bought a aqua culture air pump for wal-mart and it says it pumps up to 1200cc per minute.when i plugged in it it wasnt really alot of bubbles,it also say is includes the check valve but it did not.

question 1:does the check valve play a part in how much air is being pumped?

question 2:is the pump accurate for that container?

question 3:do i need that check valve?

setup is basically a storage container with gloss white paint inside, a rubbermaid container painted flat black 3 layers, 4 inch bubble stone and air pump.growing super lemon haze.

Attached Files:

2. if your pump takes a shit... your gonna wish you had that check valve... go back and get one.. its like 3 dollars, keeps the water off your floor...

a check valve stops the water from coming back up the air line, which it will

and what kind of air stone did you get?

make sure to wrap the whole bucket with duct tape(silver reflective type)

pics or your build does not exist... hahah, this is my way of saying, where are the pictures?

3. pics added just for you.

4. better start from clone with that small of a cabinet you will out grow that insantly.

5. well now its fine since im starting from a seed but as it grow i will move it into something else.and this will be my clone box

6. nice build... you need to light trap your fans.. if your lights are off you cannot have light getting into your grow... it causes stress on a plant.....

maybe take a couple more minutes to cut your hole next time... and make sure to duct tape the whole container that holds water... keeps out the algae

thanks for adding the pictures...

if your looking for more vertical room... purchase another giant tote and stack it on top.. cut out the bottom for your lights

7. One thing I did not see is a thermometer. I have had a CFL grow heat a box larger than that over 100F :eek: It has same PC fan ventilation setup in a wooden cab, and just one 100w CFL. Now from the looks of your design so long as the fans were by a cool area (window or ac duct) it would probably not be a problem. Not sure if you already had a thermometer and just did not mention it. :wave:

8. i dont have the thermometer yet getting it tomorrow.i just started germinating the seeds so i have plenty of time to get the other little things like im gonna need.as it gets bigger i will probably move to a closet or double stack my totes.i havent decided yet if im gonna do alot of clones .the intake fan keeps it pretty cool while my outtake fan is not as strong but still suck the air out at a fairly decent amount.i will probably change my setup by the time i get ready to put it in the box.i really dont have space to grow alot of plants at a time.thanx for the comments

9. ok so i somewhat upgraded my setup.went out and got a box abouot 3 feet tall and 2 more buckets and duct tape them.i painted the inside of box white but needs more coats of paint.i have my lights hanging so they can be adjusted by string.i also got a bigger air pump and bigger bubble stones.the picture that is black it what iti looks like with the lights on in the box with the lights out in my garage.i still need need to make exhaust holes for some fans and gotta figure out a way to mount a fan inside to blow on plants.just giving a rough draft of what im tryin to do.as far as my storage bin will put 1 cfl in there for clones and germinated seeds.the light still have alot of room to be raised in the box i not trying to have huge plants but something moderate trying to keep it in that box.

Attached Files:

10. you are still going to need some circulation to give the plants fresh air. and keep an eye on the bb res temps they can drop to low when they are set right on a slab like that

11. #12 5mokestacks, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
    i know im not done with it yet...the box is actually gonna be in my closet.

12. use a pc fan and the link in my sig to get some air movement...also make sure the intake and exhaust are light trapped

i like the fact that you picked up some new stuff at the fish store..

and you listen and follow threw... very nice

your large circular stone... it floats... get some aquarium silicone to stick it to the bottom of your bucket

i like the box... its also flammable.... so watch those temps(i had the same grow once) wigged me out thinking i was going to have a fire.. in the end i was fine.... but better safe than sorry

your string might catch fire... its the closest thing to the lights.. maybe upgrade it to some chains... if you can find them on the cheap

keep those updates coming

13. i was trying to figure out a way to raiase and lower the light the string was a spur of the moment thing and i couldnt think of anything else to get

14. use a chain and hooks

15. i have chain on already the string was to just lower but i think i have another idea i can use .i will post pics when iput another coat of paint in there

16. #17 5mokestacks, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
    ok so here is a update.i bout some stuff to make a carbon filter for my box.i also bought 3 fans 2 computer fans one big one small for exhaust and a fans for inside the box.i am using to ceareal boxes as vent which will be glued to the side and somewhat help light trap.i also am gonna use chains to adjust my lights instead of the rope.as you can see my little girl is coming along pretty good after 4 days of popping out the rockwool she is standing tall...........my last problem is gonna be whether to use my rectangle or my paint bucket with top.since heightis gonna be an issue.i just want the roots to have plenty of room

Attached Files:

17. cardboard will mold.. so make sure you keep an eye on it... consider making one with metal... they actually sell a 45 light trap for an a/c vent.. like 15 bucks though.. or you could make your own with some rivits or self tappers

i like the pc fan mout.. where did you get that? i actually like that mount more than mine.. it seems to fit the fan better than the sprinkler parts i used

nice update... you seem to have been busy

18. i got the mount from homedepot they had alot of mounts and i was hopping to find one that was the same size and got lucky.the fan is one of the big pc fans.man i cant win the cardboard light traps looked like it was gonna be a winner the you tell me that they will mold.i just knew i had a good idea lol.then you hit me with the bad news.

19. I'm also jealous of that fan mount but it's too late for me as I went with the inline duct fans which produce a lot of bass engine noise but move the fuck outta some air now. What you did there would have been perfect when I was doing my cab though!