Is this real?? Has anyone tried air injection soil/hydro-hybrid ?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Strainger, Dec 22, 2013.

1. So I couldn't find a thread on this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjD2UL2zmRs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has anyone done this? I'm considering making my own... but I don't even know how viable it is. What would work for the separation layer?

2. I'm making a DIY concept right now.

3. #3 PinkSlime, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
    http://imgur.com/LxjnC8s bam. :smoke:

Let me know if you'd like some specifics or anything. This is also scalable as you could attatch many more hoses and pump air to multiple pots without having 34353 of those terrible ones that guy was selling in the vid.

Materials needed:

pot
    potting medium
    tubing (length is variable)
    rocks or other materials to separate the soil from the water and tubes
    water
    edit: and a pump

4. That's awesome! But what about the cloth layer in between? They have some dumb name for it in the video. I forget.

5. Oh yeah, I guess you could use any porous material. They call it a "Sure2Grow Pad".

Complete bullshit. Just go ahead and use a piece of a T-Shirt, or if you'd like to be sanitary, boil the shirt.

6. all that pad thing is doing is acting as a filter so no large amounts of soil are able to get down into the pump and create a blockage, this only happens when the pump is shut off, so when it's on it needs to be out of the way so the air bubbles can make it to the soil, this is done by the layered pad creating channels in their folds and layers, allowing air to escape.

7. Cute idea, I just don't have the patience to watch an 8 minute video of a pump pumping air into dirt.

8. #8 CL4P-TP, Dec 22, 2013
    what a joke.. this is a worse gimmick then a phototron.

A. if you're water catch is as tall as your pot.. you've got issues.

B. learn to water correctly and your roots never run out of Oxy or H2O, and never stop growing.

C. all the mess of soil and the complexity of hydro ( - the soup recipe)combined .. what could possibly go wrong?

D. Organic soil is based upon slow release nutrients as the soil breaks down, Hydro is based upon ready available nutrients, that needs no chemical reaction to be used. so why slow down your hydro ? 

E. dudes only credentials are from High Time and the award is for any one who spends more then 20K$ in advertising. I'd be more willing to trust the cat( which seems to enjoy the taste of its ass) after seeing that.

I guess if you over water all the time, no matter what,this system is for you .

I crack up at the amount of people who think MJ is a fucking balloon.

10. #10 jakesterjammin, Dec 22, 2013
    Well actually it does have "some" merit to it....
    I can see the concept behind it, and I'm SURE it will help growth rates, but on the other hand, comes with a whole list of stuff that can go wrong if not done correctly...

I personally went the other way....
    Meaning, I've been a hydro grower for 20+years, but wanted to bring in the flavors of organics, but did not want to lose my yields which I get in hydroponics.  So I started with a 50/50 coco mix, which was OK, BUT (that big but again), no where near the hydro grows.  After that 50/50 grow, I added just as much hydroton as I had in the 50/50 mix...

Now I'm running equal parts of hydroton, coco, and perlite...
    I use all organic nutrients (well bottle & brew organics anyway), it's a top feed, recovery system, which I treat as I did with my Monster Ebb&Gro system...  I drop 7gal buckets inside the 5gal sites of the Ebb&Gro system, then they drain through the floor to the res in the basement....  
    I water in veg 3 times a day and in mid flowering (after stretch) 4 times a day...

IMG_3825.jpg

I'm still not getting the same yields as hydro, but pretty dam close...
    The best part, because it's a recovery using organics which my runoff is around 50%, it cut my nutrients cost in half over hydro, and my costs have dropped, even with the loss in yield...

Added flavor and cut costs while getting the same quality of meds as far as high goes....
    Here was my last run and the coco/perlite/hydroton mix I used is on it's 5th grow, starting 6th...
    It just gets better and better where I now can run a low tds and plants as healthy as can be....

View attachment 1316779
    IMG_3817.jpg

But you're right, the trick is to get that right balance of O2 and water, naturally the more O2 you can supply the better (that's why I added the hydroton)...

That's why I can see this thing having "some" merit, but from the looks of it, I see bacteria issues in that hot water, because that air pump generates heat, which some is transferred to the water, and I'd bet that water gets into the upper 70s....

Which EVERY HYDRO GROWER that knows what they're doing will tell you, at 70*f, you're going to start seeing bacteria buildup,
    then root rot......

Good Luck All in your ventures...  :hide:

11. JJ I love ya man. and your grows rock

but your grow has little to no bearing in this idea, as far as I can tell.

shit you run EnF.. you should be able to see why the soil gets enough air all ready.. same way an unoxy'd EnF does. passive pressure from the water..pushing old air out as it pushes thru.. and sucking new air in behind it as the vacuums are filled.

if you believe you're not getting enough air to your roots in soil...just add more perlite IMNHO

ohh and cause GC needs to catch the fuck up, I'll let you run with these.

aquarium filters FTW

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=272778

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47095

12. #12 jakesterjammin, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
    Well my grow mix has everything to do with these systems, and in all reality prove the idea behind the "concept" works..
    The idea behind it is get more O2 to the roots....

So what that system seems to be is SIP and DWC combined.
    The problem with SIP is the water becomes stagnant, so they add concept behind DWC, adding air to the water...

When I did the 50/50 coco perlite mix it was WAY better than a soil grow...  WHY??
    Yep the perlite allows the soil to not become compacted and the perlite holds more water...

I could have added more perlite, but that means the mix will hold more water, which I did not want..
    What I wanted is a fast draining mix, because the more "fresh O2 rich nutrient" I can run across the roots the more the plants feed.

So if I added more perlite to the mix, it would hold more water, when I'm after the balance of air to water ratio.
    Now what holds less water and more air than perlite, hydroton.....

By me adding hydroton it added air without retaining anymore water...
    Then I'm adding the fresh air by watering them more, but if I watered that much with soil or 50/50 mix, I'd do more harm than good...
    So the triple mix drain fast and dries almost just as fast, thus now I can water more, getting more O2 to the roots....
    Because with each watering, I'm refreshing the O2 level....

But if you watered that much in soil, the plants would be dead in weeks...
    So they choose to pump in air.....

Point being, I proved to myself the more air to the roots the better off the plants are....
    Which is the whole concept behind their soil bubble bucket....

I choose to add more air from the top with more watering to get larger growth rates.....
    They're trying to pump it in from the bottom....

BUT WE'RE BOTH TRYING TO GET THE SAME THING, MORE AIR TO THE ROOT SYSTEM...
    We're after the same thing (get more air to the roots), we're just approaching it differently....
    They force air in, where I water air in by watering more often....

So both our concepts are the same, thus why I said there is some merit to their SIP/DWC system...
    JUST BECAUSE they are in fact getting more O2 to the root system from the bottom by force.....

Where I'm doing the same thing, but just more of a conventional or natural way....

Make sense????

13. called bioponics, I hear it's incredibly efficient. look it up, do your research, its a means by which you can have a completely automated recirculating organic set up. Organic soil mix plus EnF. but the guy in this video is a moron he doesn't have a very good way of doing it.

Like, why would you use clearpots?

But really, CL4P, the idea is a good one. this video doesn't really portray the idea correctly though.
    http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1534.html

here's a link. this is the most thorough explanation of the system ive found to date

14. the rest of the world ( aka those not involved with cannabis) calls that aquaculture....

and is the only way to support flowering canna in an organic aqua system, I'll give ya that. ( high P-K is death to fish..they make nitrites )

Aquaponics has no soils FTR & is a closed system.

aquaculture has soils and is not a closed system. and is rarely run on a ENF ..norm is continuous flow ( same with Aquaponics BTW)

only the aquaponics needs air in the solution.

just saying.

15. Shows how much you know. I use straight helium. I got four plants floating around the ceiling right now. I just push them into the ceiling fan to top... Gotta keep them from getting outside though.... Lol

16. thats the willy wonka hydro method LOL :cool:

17. Fizzy Lifting Buds...lol

18. #18 dishphead, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    not aquaponics. organic hydroponics, no fish. you mix up an organic soil and hook it up to a hydro system. I've been seeing it around here and there :ph34r:

19. So since we are all on this subject this guys website is www.modularhydro.com

1) has anyone seen his ecoflow micro DWC cloner?

-opinions?
    -comments?
    -would this work with herbs to full meturity ?
    -PH swings (only growing in 1.5 QT of water .?

20. I do the same with my plants.  flower pot on top of small bucket with water and airstone.  have an aquarium heater in the one i use for cloning in dirt.