brown roots dwc canadian xpress

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by goldenbrown, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Hello iv been fighting this for a week or 2 now with oxyplus but to no avail,im using frozen water bottles now which seemed to have helped to keep temps down and new white root growth is starting. Anyway iv started to add from yesterday canadian express regen a root,wilt guard and bio balancer,has any1 tried these? im using dutch pro a and b vedge chemical nutes for my base. What im worried about is my p[lants have started to wilt a little and i checked the res after 12 hours from change and bits of root was floating about and was a little mirkier than wen i was using oxyplus, would this be the bio balncer working and doing its job?
    How long does it take for beneficiaries to start to work?
    these 2 pics are from 3 days b4 I started to add frozen bottles

2. Now heres some pics from today and i have transplanted 4 from oxypots to cocoa because its jus too much work with 7 especially with root probs. The pics of oxypot plants roots is hard to tell improvements from the pic from other day but ther is new white root growth intertwining with the tanned roots. This is from using frozen bottles not the canadian xpress line as i only jus started it. The plant in oxypot pic is starting to droop which is worrying but the cocoa ones i transplanted yesterday seem alot healthier you can see in the pic. Im just wondering should i give the oxys and bio balancer with regen a root and wilt guard a bit longer or go full cocoa? By the way these plants have been on vedge for 3 weeks from rooted clone

3. I have now stopped oxyplus after the res change and clean to use canadian express line

4. Whats the temps of the res water and where does the water come up to when you have the lid on?

5. B4 using frozen bottles it rose to 75f or 76f and a few days ago on a hot night (which is rare in england) 80f for two nights. Now im keeping them 69 and 72 f When the water comes out the tap its about 60 f

6. the water is about 1 or 2 inch under the net pot

7. If you keepo your temp down im sure youll be more than fine, the top 3 inches of all my roots are much worse than yours but the roots under the water are pure white and healthy and i have zero problems with growth or defic.

just keep them temps and bubblers right and youll be golden

oh and I dont use a single thing other than my nutes in my res to combat it either

8. #8 obsstar, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
    i can't exactly tell if that bucket is on a recirculating system or if it's solitary

if it's solitary (or even if it's not solitary), you might be popping that lid off constantly (checking ph, changing water, whatever)

that may be adding to your issue

light getting to the roots can cause a myriad of issues, including root decay and pythium (rot)

i don't know after looking at the other pic of multiple buckets, you may be recirculating and not popping those lids off

also, those lids do look like you have specifically tried not to let any light in, so that is probably not your problem

9. I am constantly taking the lids off because im always checking the roots! Because im worried about them + im having to put frozen bottles in twice a day. Would quick checks be that much of a problem?

10. I always grow dwc its the most productive u should be using a product called biopack 4-5ml in each bucket will stop the roots browning have u got air stones in them??? Heres my dwc at 1 week veg

Attached Files:

11. U shuould be veging for at least 4 weeks the nutes u r using r not the best for the system ur using i personally use vitalink a+b and bio pack and dont fill water up to net pots drop the water level to at least half a bucket or even lower i have them at a quater full it makes the roots search for water its entirely up to u thow ive done bubblers for 2 years neva had a prob and get big yields if ur still having trouble cooling water drop the level of water and pop a few ice cubes in there

12. Thanx for reply mr dwc pro. My plants will be on 4 weeks vedge from clone on friday but not sure if im going to go 12/12 unless the roots have improved a lot. I have now ditched the bio balancer and gone back to the sterile way and cleaned everything with rez changes today already. I know i should of gave it longer but i figured using oxyplus all the way through as i have about 5litres of it! Im adding it everyday to my rez at 15mil. Thanx again mr dwc pro and i will look into the vitalink nutes and bio pack for next time but iv got so much of this dutch pro from doing cocoa i may as well use it.
    I also will be lowering the net pot as you suggested as it makes sense that the less water the easier it is to cool and the roots will look for. Cheers

13. Forgot to say yes i have 2 air stones in each bucket running off different outlets from 2 powerful pumps

14. Ye i wud definatley stop using that oxy plus u dont need it wen u have a decent amount of air goin through ur system i will upload more photos at the next stages so u can see

15. ok thanx and il upload mine on friday to see if any change

16. I forgot to ask u did u wash ur clay pebbles before u but them in netpots ??

17. I did soak them for 24hrs and gave them a wash but early on in the vedge cycle my water was stained from them still but i changed the rez and it has not been coloured since

18. hmmm ya somethings def wrong, 4weeks of veg your roots should be 10x that size. My guess is as well the nutes you are using plus all the extras you put in plus the temps.

I wouldnt worry to much I put my veg behind an entire month because of root issues, fix all your problems and then let them grow another 1-2 weeks and youll be golden =)

19. Whats your ppms and humidty

20. My ppms are between 850 and 900 they are nearing 4 weeks vedge from rooted clone now and im wondering if repoting in cocoa would be my best bet??
    Ihave lowered the water level to just under half the bucket level to try and encourage root growth but not sure if its helping because the top half of roots have dried out(brown ones) is this a good idea to encourage new root growth or should i refill up to 1 inch or 2 below net pot??