Recirculating, 1000 Watt, 8 Plant, Mendo Afgoo, ScrOG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by XandarCrown, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Hello Grasscity,

This is my frist grow ever. Do not let tht fool you I have over 10 years of learning experience and stduying to produce the most awesome, high yeilding, ScrOG grow a newb can. So to get down to it here is a little back story to my grow since we are now in week 4 since purchasing my clones.

My room the first 3 weeks was not up to the standards I would have liked. There was only one non oscillating fan, and it was challenging setting it up in a way that provided air movement through my plants. Also I had poor ventelation, and my plants suffered greatly because of this. So after week 3 I set up a nice ventelation system and an ocillating fan to complement my wind generating fan.

Week 1: Went off with a bang. Saw nice healthy new growth.

Room Temp: 70 degrees average
    RH: 60
    Res: 15 gal
    Ph: 5.8
    Flora Micro: 3.5 tsp
    Flora Gro: 3.5 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 3.5 tsp
    H202: 45 ml

Week 2: Was the start of worry. Thinking my plants were in the first week of mild vegetation. I bummped up my nutrients way too much. Causing nuterient burn. I also put the nutes in the res in the wrong order which caused salt build up and almost had a nutrient lockout.

Mon:

Room Temp: 75 degrees
    RH: 55
    Ph: 5.8
    Flora Gro: 15 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 15 tsp
    Flora Gro: 15 tsp
    VooDoo Juice: 30 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 30 tsp

I did not check on my plants until wed. When I did I found nuterient burn.

Wed:

Changed res water and added 10 gal of frsh water and ran through 3 times. Ph was high and tried to maintain at 5.8 but would shoot up to almost 7 within an hour.

Thur:

Changed Res with another 10 gal of fresh water. ran through 3 times, tried to maintian Ph at 5.8 but again would climb quickly.

Fri:

Changed res with 10 gal of fresh water. Added:

Flora Micro: 1.5 tsp
    Flora Gro: 1.5 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 1.5 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 7.5 ml

cut out H202 and Voodoo Juice.

Week 3: Changed the quarter strength nute solution with 15 gal of fresh water and cleaned my res system completely. Saw no change in plant health from time of shock and determined that without fixing my ventelation problem and airflow the plants would continue to suffer. so planned to build superior room by the end of the week.

Room temp: 70 degrees
    RH: 65
    PH: 6.3
    Flora Micro: 3.5 tsp
    Flora Gro: 3.5 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 3.5 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 7.5 tsp

The plants still did not recover even after the flush. So I determined that the ventelation was deffinately the problem so Sat, Sun, and Mon. I put mylar all over the walls sealed the light leaks, added a 294 cfm 6" max fan to the ceiling to dispell the rising hott air and a carbon filter. as well as a 8" 40 cfm intake fan in the bottom corner of the room, all being controlled by a Sentenil EVC-2 controller. and got ready for week 4.

Week 4: With the new upgrades to the room. the plants were out without lighting for a few hours each day so i upped the light hours by 30 min for 4 days and then gradually brought them back to 18/6. Saw extremely fast recovery of plants after ventelation was put in and my res was bleached cleaned after completing the room. Not adding the H202 for so long almost caused my system to develope algae and was in the res hoses but luckily did not spread to the rockwool. Also transfered my plants into 3gal pots filled with hydroton at this point.

Week 4:

Room temp: 80 degrees average, that's what happens wheen you seal a room
    RH: 55 Harder to maintain humidity without humidifier when ventelation was added
    Res: 15 Gal
    Ph: 6.5
    Flora Micro: 7.5 tsp
    Fora Gro: 7.5 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 7.5 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 30 ml
    CalMag: 15 tsp

This week I saw no more problems with the plants and lots off new growth. Will veg for two more weeks and will be adding my screen in week 5 this week to start the ScrOG proccess. stay tuned

Attached Files:

2. Nice set-up and nice plants. Im going to be checking back again :D :smoke:

3. Nice set up! Not to be a douche or anything but I was expecting a little more out of ten years of learning/experience. Guess it goes to show the only real way to learn is practice.

I'm glad you got your problems under control, I can tell you have probably learned more over this 4 weeks than over the past ten that you have been "studying".

Only suggestion I could make would be to train your plant a little by before you put the screen on. They will naturally bush of because they are clones but if you want a sold scrog you going to want to top/train them. I'll stop by now and again to check the progress. Looking good!

4. #4 StVooDoo, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    To add, i noticed your using clear tubing to supply nutes. You might run into problems with them being clear. Crap starts up build up (algae) and clogs the lines as well as bring unwanted nasties into your res. Also you should look into learning EC/TDS measurements.

5. Thank you for the positive comments on my room set-up. And for the advice. Will keep up regulary with new photos and postings hopefuly twice a week. Oh and I have been bending and triaining out the branches. Will post picks tomorrow.

6. Week 5: This week has been a great week with lots of new growth thus far. Been Low Stress Training my plants so they are branching out. An am taking the suggestion to hold off on my screen for another week or so to train out myplants to grow into the screen. Take a look:

Room Temp Avg: 75 degrees
    RH: 65
    Res: 15 Gal
    Ph: 6.5
    Flora Micro: 7.5 tsp
    Flora Gro: 7.5 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 7.5 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 30 ml

Today will be my res change seeing is how my plants are using lots of water a nutes for their new growth. I will be changing the water with a fresh 15 gal. and adding:

Flora Micro: 22.5 tsp
    Flora Grow: 15 tsp
    Flora Bloom: 15 tsp
    Diamond Nectar: 30 tsp

I will also be taking the clear drip hoses off and adding white or black one. Thnks for all the tips guys!

Attached Files:

7. :rolleyes: What's Up Grasscity,

So today I added my HPS light and took out my flouresants and am getting ready to flower. Going to wait about another week and start trianing my plants into a chicken wire screen with 2"x2" squares. I hooked up the 1000 Watt Hortilux HPS to a 1000 Watt 120v/240v Lumatek dimmable ballast. and will bump up the wattage as i get closer to flowering so 600watts this week, 750watts next week, and I will give them 1000watts when i begin flowering and I will switch the ballast to SuperLumens the last two weeks of blooming.
    Anyone think I should do the opposite and jump start flowering with superlumens and then taper down to 1000watts the rest of the flowering cycle after those two weeks?

A few notes. First adding the HPS light without air cooling it brought my room to about 85 degrees and that is detremental temp to the environment I am trying to keep in there. So having a good fan to blow through the light helped me bring the tempeture down to 82 degrees. Which is still not adequate enough I need it to be 75 to 80 degrees.
    Any thoughts on how to do this without having to buy an airconditioning unit? This also servely affected my humidty level and even with my humidifier going all day the RH still is below 50 after adding the light. So now to fix the enviornmental factors of heat and humidity. Hope you enjoyed the update and information.

Attached Files:

8. One other important thing i forgot to mention is that when you buy your ballast make sure you pay attention to the voltage I bought two 240v ballast before I figured out they all worked and it was just too much trouble to convert a plug to 240v. So just buy a 120v ballast and you should not have any problems. I also placed the ballast in the way of the intake fan to keep it cooler to pull more power out of the light.

9. looking good brother! you sure you not a pro? lol

10. Haha, totally sure. I wish i was pro I would not feel so worried about everything in there. lol

11. are these feminized?

12. They were clones taken off a female why do you ask?

13. you really dont need to use grow...i use gh 2 part micro and bloom all through veg and flower

14. i missed that sorry brother! i did look before asking lol

15. Yea I noticeda lot of other people doing that as well why is that?

16. well if you look....micro is 5-0-1 and bloom is 0-5-4....thats everything you need

grow is 2-1-6....really no value in the mix of things when you can get your micros and your phosphates from micro and bloom

17. Hello Grasscity,

So this week has been a great week for new developement. I have been training my plants to grow horizontally so I can set up my screen next monday. There are a lot of new bud sites and I think two more weeks of veg and I will be on track for a beautiful harvest. Most of my plants have developed multiple bud producing sites and the ones I have pruned to the ones I have not pruned I can see a signifigant difference in the two and have decided that pruning is the best way to have more bud production sites growing. Pics up. Also I switched my vegg light from T8 flouresants to a 1000 watt MH Hortilux Blue. This has signifigantly reduced the heat given from the HPS allowing me to better control the enviornment. I will be adding a raptor reflector with a new 8" exhaust fan and a new 8" carbon filter. stay tuned for more detailed updates and issues I have encountered. I broke one plant in half so I am down to 7 plants now :( so be careful training the stem was very rubbery and I should have been more careful. I think this is due to the heat stress the environment has undergone because of the instensity change in light and heat.

Attached Files:

18. Looking great man! You couldnt save the one plant? Ive saved mine before by making a splint and duct tape lol. Ive even just strung them up and left the break and they still grow strong even during flower.

19. Ok so I feel how my plants grow. I know it sounds weird but like how plants can sense the closeness of other plants. I can feel the effects of what I am doing to my plants and today I woke up in a sweat. Then I was even more worried when I looked in my room to see heat stress, nutrient def. Etc. I knew I should have changed my res yesterday before feeding. All that old water just chillin in my res really screwed up my plants plus the MH bgeing to close. Just goes to show you when you feel it that shit is going to happen it usually will and don't second guess that unless you really don't know but i knew and was lazy and prob now have an additional 2 weeks of growth! What yal think will post pictures when i get home!:(:eek:

20. [quote name='"XandarCrown"']Ok so I feel how my plants grow. I know it sounds weird but like how plants can sense the closeness of other plants. I can feel the effects of what I am doing to my plants and today I woke up in a sweat. Then I was even more worried when I looked in my room to see heat stress, nutrient def. Etc. I knew I should have changed my res yesterday before feeding. All that old water just chillin in my res really screwed up my plants plus the MH bgeing to close. Just goes to show you when you feel it that shit is going to happen it usually will and don't second guess that unless you really don't know but i knew and was lazy and prob now have an additional 2 weeks of growth! What yal think will post pictures when i get home!:(:eek:[/quote]

Brutal man... I feel for ya the a few weeks ago I had an brain storm at 3am "Shit, there probly out of water!" when I got there the water had stopped pumping! But there wasn't any signs of wilt so I got super lucky lol.