The Beholder's First Coco Grow!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by BalladBlack, Sep 14, 2010.

1. #1 BalladBlack, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    Hey everyone!:wave: I have recently finished my grow cab (See my Sig Link) and now it's time to start a crop! After seeing the Ed's threads on Coco I got hooked. So, I went to the Hydro store and picked up some basics.

Then, I mixed up the coco and perlite (50/50 mix).

After my seeds soaked for prob around 18 or hours, all six had sunk and a few showed tap roots or split. Go go bag seed I was iffy on. Then I just popped them in the soil and now we wait.

My original six didn't come up, so after a long sad spot I got 3 more sprouts.
    9/19/2010 Seeds germinated and went in soil!
    9/22/2010 All 3 Sprouts broke the surface!

Attached Files:

2. looks like a great start! good luck!

3. My light set up is good ole fashion CFLs, 9 26watt bulbs, even though the pic only shows 7. My nute line is CNS17 with CalMag and I picked up a small vial of Superthrive for an added bonus. I am just using simple PH calibration solution as I couldn't afford a meter despite knowing it's importance. I do plan on picking one up at one point.

I get more pics up later, it's not letting them upload for some reason. :/

4. Thanks man!

5. :hello::hello: Join the coco train

6. Hey there, welcome to the Coco-Nut club! :D Look forward to seeing your new grow. Here hit this..let's smoke to a happy conclusion with nice buds for you. :smoking:

7. Thank you ma'am! If I don't see some sprout after a week mark, I'll have to try to find better seeds. Not the most bad-ass looking bad seeds to begin with but here was to hoping. Might try paper towel germinating here soon to test the rest I have.

8. You've got plenty of light for a strong plant. Keep those CFL's as close as possible to the plant w/o letting it touch. I had mine only an inch or two from the lights for it's first month. Your time collecting and building your cab will help save headaches and emergencies in the long run.

Looking forward to the grow, brah. Subbed for the adventure :)

9. Thanks man! I tried getting some light pictures of the cfl layout but it keeps not letting them upload. So I'll have to try again.

As far as updates go, no signs of life yet. I got a few seeds on the back burner just in case.

10. Well, out of some 30 bag seeds not a single one appears to have life. I have tried all germination methods and nothing. I will probably get more seeds tonight and if they don't work I guess either I have horrible luck, no germ skills, or I need to actually figure out buying seeds.

Sucks I have everything ready to go and just held back by bad beans. :(

Also, out of curosity, how do I get a thread moved to another area? lol

11. paper towel method until you have a half-inch tap-root then plant???

12. Nothing, not even signs of the seed opening and I have had some doing this method for days, since I started this thread.
    Shot glass method - Nothing.
    Paper Towel method - Nothing.
    Direct Planting - Nothing.

Just a bad batch of seeds I reckon.

13. yeah must be. i thought i had read that you had gotten cracked seed with taproot coming out in earlier post though.

14. Update:Alright! GOOD News! Finally after going into last resort mode I germed my last 20 odd seeds and three cracked! They had about 1/4" taproots when I dropped em in the coco. 2 are in a 50/50 mix of coco/perlite and the other is about 80/20 coco/perlite as a test. Shoulda have done with 100% coco to better get variables but eh. I am just happy to get seeds to actually germ!

So I have three potential ladies (I pray) and they are under 3 of my CFLs with good air circulation. The coco was fully saturated with warm water and now we wait to see if they pop through the surface over the next couple days.

Man, it feels awesome to have a good update despite it being so minor to some[​IMG].

Now, seeing as how the Red vs Green team is dead, It's time for new names for new girls (I hope!). No need for pics cause it's just coco in a small pot [​IMG], but I present you with the names: Jenova, Snow Flake, and 87. Influences range from Final Fantasy, Weeds the show, and an inside reference. They seemed randomly fitting for me and Miss Black[​IMG].

15. Minor? That is a big update! You have viable seeds :D

Let them all be girls, brah :)

16. Dude I'm hoping so. Once they start sprouting I'm going to wait till about the fourth or so set of leaves and cut the weakest looking one down and try to run two plants in my cab until flowering. Then hopefully one will be a lady or both! I'm just concerned about room but I figure I can LST it to a reasonable height and then calculate roughly double size to get an idea.

Current Stats:
    Humidity: 35%
    Temperature: 81 Degrees F.
    Last watering: Yesterday, fully saturated the Coco then planted the seeds.
    Lighting: Six 26 watt CFLs

Anyhow, my humidity is a little low cause I have the fans on high due to my irrational fear of mold setting in on the plants. They are just in starter pots a few inches under the lights and retaining good moisture. It's a bit warm. but I'm okay with that. Lights off the cab runs at around 70 give or take 2 degrees. With all the lights on it hit a high of 88, which I am working on tuning down by playing with the exhaust and air flow. Right now though, I'll let it run at 80, I want it to be warm for the seedlings to start off.​

17. LST'ing and topping work miracles man. Seriously. I think you'll be able to control them well. How are you going to secure them to the pots? May I recommend what I've done and use nails/screws/tacks as pegs around the pot for easy tie-downs and flexibility.

In case you're wondering if you can or not, you can turn off some of those lights for now. Hell, one bulb per should be enough for the first week of sprout. Also, are you pointing a fan towards the lights? That should drop the temps down by moving the hot air away from the lamps and out the exhaust.

It does look like you've got a hold on things and are working them out on your own :)

18. I am always happy to get input and always open to suggestions so please, if you ever have any, I'll accept them lol.

I was going to modify the pots similar to how you did yours. Have pegs going around it I can fasten strings to. I will be using cheaper 3 gallon pots from a nursery they were throwing out, just got to get around to sterilizing them lol.

Yea, I could drop it to 3 CFLs I suppose. I mainly have more going to keep it warmer in the cab cause I want the soil warm to stimulate early root growth. Just so ancy, dont worry though, I have the nuts sealed and hidden away till they are ready lol. I will not make the nutes too soon issue happen in my cab.

I have my tower fan angled towards the pots to indirectly circulate air about them and angled towards the lights. I'm going to set up another computer fan or two in the top of the cab to keep air flowing around the bulbs, just got to get the fans and cords.

19. Please be sure to keep us posted with fresh pics as things get going!!! :smoke:

20. Deffinently man.