New stealth Led Grow Cabinet/closet Build - On Wheels? =)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by AdamBomb518, Jul 7, 2014.

1. #1 AdamBomb518, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the forum (have been lurking a lot the past month) so I figured now is as good of a time as ever to sign up and start posting.

Over the last few weeks I've been doing tons of research on stealth grow boxes/cabinets, whether or not to buy one fully built, build one, or go another route entirely.  I've decided I would prefer to build one of my own, as I like doing hands on stuff anyways - and that this way I know and can choose everything that goes into it. 

I've compiled an exact list of what I have, and will be using in this setup, with costing (most was purchased on eBay, Amazon, & Lowes - besides the seeds which were from Nirvana Shop).  I'll be documenting some pictures along the way and explaining my process why I went the way that I did.  Not only will this be my first "build", but also my first grow.  I'm excited to get started and have devoted a lot of time on reading, research, and more reading, haha.  No where else to start but actually put this together, and get growing!

I still have to get a few other components such as weather stripping/silicon for light proofing, but 95% of it is ready to assemble.

Now onto the component list, broken down into categories with prices, dimensions (where applicable), and total pricing.  Sorry for the long over elaborate first post! 

Cabinet/Accessories

• Seville Classics UltraHD Storage Cabinet<ul><li>Price:  $240<ul><li>Dims (LxWxH):  36” x 18” x 72”
    </li></ul></li>[*]Woodstock 4” Black PVC Elbow (2)
    • <li>Price:  $16
    </li>[*]Woodstock 4” Black PVC Flange (3)
    • <li>Price:  $15
    </li>[*]Neodymium Eye Bolt Hook Magnets (5)
    • <li>Price:  $20 Total
    </li>[*]Neodymium Hook Magnets (5)
    • <li>Price:  $20 Total
    </li></ul>Electronics
    • Vipar LED 450w Grow Light<ul><li>Cost:  $220<ul><li>Dims:  18.9” x 8.3” x 2.8”
    </li></ul></li>[*]VenTech 4” Blower Fan & Carbon Scrubber
    • <li>Cost:  $93<ul><li>Filter Dims:  4” x 7.5” x 12”
    • Fan Dims:  8” x 9” x 8.5”
    </li></ul></li>[*]GE Home Digital Programmable Power Strip (2)
    • <li>Price:  $54 Total
    </li>[*]PH/PPM/Temp. Digital Combo Meter
    • <li>Price:  $85
    </li>[*]Chaney AcuRite Digital Indoor Thermometer & Humidity Monitor
    • <li>Price:  $12
    </li>[*]Active Air Fan Speed Controller
    • <li>Price:  $25
    </li>[*]Innovative Grower CT-1 Digital Recycle Timer
    • <li>Price:  $40
    </li>[*]Honeywell TurboForce HT-900 Fan
    • <li>Price:  $18
    </li></ul>Nutrients/Testing/Calibration
    • Technaflora Recipe For Success Kit (2)<ul><li>Price:  $76 Total
    </li>[*]Botonica AquaShield Water Treatment (32 oz)
    • <li>Price:  $27
    </li>[*]General Hydroponics pH Calibration Solutions (4.01 & 7.01)
    • <li>Price:  $20
    </li>[*]Milwaukee 1382 PPM Calibration Solution
    </li>[*]General Hydroponics pH Control Test Kit
    </li></ul>Hydroponics/Components
    • Bubbleponics Starter 6 Planter Kit<ul><li>Cost:  $107<ul><li>Dims:  21.5” x 14” x 12.75”
    </li></ul></li>[*]Active Aqua Large Round Air Stone (2)
    </li>[*]Sunlight Supply Small Water Pump Filter Bag
    • <li>Price:  $10
    </li>[*]Gro Pro 3.75" Net Pot Lids (Pack Of 10)
    • <li>Price:  $8
    </li></ul>Various Extras
    • Reflectix Insulation (25' x 24”)<ul><li>Price:  $24
    </li>[*]Reflectix Foil Tape (30' x 2”) (3)
    </li>[*]3M Spray Adhesive
    • <li>Price:  $10
    </li>[*]Yo-Yo Light Hangers (4)
    • <li>Price:  $17 Total
    </li>[*]Hydrofarm 3.5” Trellis Netting
    • <li>Price:  $15
    </li>[*]30-60x Illuminated Jewelers Loupe
    • <li>Price:  $5
    </li>[*]Apollo Horticulture Indoor Grow Room Glasses
    • <li>Price:  $9
    </li>[*]Seeds (5 White Widow & 5 Blackberry)
    • <li>Price:  $90
    </li></ul> 
    Total Price$1,340

There's my list!  As I mentioned, I still have maybe $20-40 worth of various other components, but this should cover 90-95% of it.  I feel like this should be a very solid setup for a home grower for just myself and my girlfriend. 

I already wrapped the entire lid and container in reflectix insulation and foil tape, just have to finish a couple pieces on that today.  While the cabinet comes in fully disassembled (works better this way), I'm going to be doing every panel individually with the insulation and foil tape before doing my final assembly. 

I choose the Seville Classics UltraHD cabinet for a few reasons.  One - it was the size I wanted.  Two - it was a really good price for how heavy duty it is.  Three - it's steel and I'm going to mount mostly everything on heavy duty magnets so that it can all be easily rearranged to have infinite adjustments in my grows.  The only thing that sucked (which I kind of expected) is that shipping any of these usually results in some damage, and mine had 2 shelves damaged and the top and bottom pieces damaged.  They're really good about sending new pieces free of charge, but now I have to wait another 3-5 days before I can do any assembly.  If you have a local Sams Club, they sell these there too, mine just didn't have any in stock and didn't know when they'd have them so I couldn't go that route.

I went with the Bubbleponics setup as I wanted to get an idea of what everything came with and how it's routed in an all in one package.  I've already upgraded to two larger air stones and a water pump bag to keep unexpected maintenance to a minimum.

I went with the VIPAR 450w LED system as it's around 250w actual and for me doing a 2-4 plant ScROG grow in the 3' by 1.5' area, this should be more than enough to get a good yield.  I've read a lot about other people using their LED lights with great success so I'm confident I'll be able to do the same. 

I decided on the Technaflora nutrients as they seemed easy to use, and the majority of people liked them and have had great results.  I'm not looking to play a mad scientist and throw in random components.  I'm about not overcomplicating things and going with what works. 

The other components are pretty self explanatory, but if you have any particular questions as to why I went with what I did, feel free to ask!

I'll get onto pictures in the next few days as I get lining the cabinet with the reflectix material today (well, what pieces aren't damaged that I can line anyways). 

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions along the way with the actual grow, but will do a grow journal once I start that.  Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Made some progress on the reflectix insulation and tape yesterday and today.  Will finish up the doors either later or tomorrow.  Then once the upper and lower pieces come in on Friday or Monday, I'll finish up those.  Everything else is ready to go, just playing the waiting game now. 

Once mostly assembled, I'll do some measuring, methodical sketching/rough placement, etc. as to where to put the intake vents, eyebolts for the light, and placement of everything else.  Then goes to cutting 4" holes for the flanges, drilling/silicone sealing those in, and wiring it all up!  Then I can finally get onto my first grow, super excited!

Enjoy the few pictures for now (nothing spectacular, sorry!)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      644.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      645.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      358.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      594.3 KB
      Views:
    • photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      File size:
      215.1 KB
      Views:
    • photo 2.JPG
      photo 2.JPG
      File size:
      275.2 KB
      Views:
    • photo 3.JPG
      photo 3.JPG
      File size:
      400.6 KB
      Views:
    • photo 4.JPG
      photo 4.JPG
      File size:
      371.1 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Love it man

Subbed & good luck

4. Thanks man, much appreciated!  So the elbows and flanges I got won't work.  They just butt up to one another (not what I was hoping), and the company doesn't make any kind of fitting to connect one to another as I called them directly.  So I'm going to go with actual PVC, paint it matte black, and go that route.  I still want some kind of flange, hopefully, so I have more of a flush look, but we'll see what I can find!

I'm thinking of doing all my passive intakes now on the bottom of the cabinet where the reservoir will be.  As with the 5" wheels on, I'll have 6-7" of clearance on the bottom, so keep the entire back side of the cabinet way cleaner and I'll be able to butt it right up against a wall this way.  Hoping I'll have enough room with the new PVC piping I'm gonna try out.

My replacement top and bottom just shipped yesterday so won't be here until Tuesday, so I can't do too much more left on it yet besides finish lining the doors and the reservoir itself.  More pictures coming soon!

5. A few more pictures of most of the gear and accessories.  I got a couple other smaller pieces in, but 95% of it is already here.  Top and bottom should be here on Tuesday so I can actually get to assembling the cabinet, rough fitting stuff in, and then final assembly, cleaning up/cable organization, etc.

Enjoy some more pics!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      584.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      517.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      656.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      651.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      641.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      192.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      611.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Looks great I can't wait to see the finished product

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. More updates!  I finally got around to figuring out my passive intake solution.  I'm using (6) 2" PVC cleanout adapters and (12) 2" PVC 90 degree angle pieces.  I'll be doing 3 per side on the very bottom shelf (still waiting on, should be here tomorrow). That should be an ideal amount of airflow coupled with my exhaust fan.  If I need more I'll add more, if I have too many, I have threaded cleanout adapters, so I can always buy a 2" plug to plug any/all of them as needed.

As you can see in the pictures, the top piece attaches to the 2 90 degree pieces (already put together).  I'll be cutting out holes for these, then siliconing them on the top and bottom for an air/light tight seal.  Then they'll just connect to the 90 degree pieces which will be hidden underneath the entire cabinet.  With the 5" wheels, I've got about 7" of clearance that will be ideal for these to be placed (vs. inside or on the back of the cabinet).

I still need to paint these matte black, but will work on that this week as well.

I've also got a 4" back draft duct/flange which fits PERFECTLY on the exhaust fan exit side. So as you can see in the pictures, I'll be cutting the marked hole and drilling this with sheet metal screws then siliconing it on.  The flange part will be on the outside to sandwich it together, and the tubing part will be on the inside attached to the exhaust fan with a 4" worm clamp.

Things should start really coming together this week!

My seeds will be here on Wednesday as well.  Can't wait to get it all buttoned up and going.  I'm taking my time on this and not rushing as I don't want to mess anything up, and I'm in no rush, so I'd rather play it all safe.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      229.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      148.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      176 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      491.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      156.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      390.8 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      397.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      890.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Back with more updates.  I've changed the PVC intake piping, yet again, haha.  The white piping wouldn't have been as clean and flush as I wanted it, plus I'd have to paint it, and since I'm running my power cords through these as well, I didn't want to risk it getting all scraped up. 

So after a ton more research, I finally came across these RV 3" black ABS flanges on Amazon.  They make them in the soffet kind (that I got) as well as the hub.  I got short 90 degree hub to soffet/street ABS 3" adapters as well (2 per intake port) so make it completely light proof and allow a bit more flexibility underneath the cabinet.

I also was trying to figure out how to mount the carbon scrubber/exhaust fan horizontally without using hangers and having it look out of place.  So I got some ideas from GrowBoxUSA and went with 2' long stainless threaded rod, acorn nuts (on the outside of the box to keep them in place), washers, nylon lock nuts, and 8" stainless brackets.  You can get a better idea from where I had it rough fitted on the pictures.

I'm extremely happy with how this is coming along.  I'll have this completely finished up by early next week, and the majority of it finished up this weekend.  Enjoy some more pics, with it halfway assembled too!

I HIGHLY recommend going this route with the Seville Classics Ultra HD cabinets.  For those wanting something bigger, they also make a 48" x 24" x 72" as well!  I feel that would be overkill for personal use, and this is ideal for the LST/ScROG/Mainline training I plan on doing with it.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      238.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      325 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      337.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      735.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      211.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      302.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      355 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      228.2 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      252.1 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      319.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Finally nearing the end of building this thing!  It's been a lot of fun, and a lot of trial/error with components (still testing a few circulation fans to determine the best one for this cabinet).  I'm so excited to get my first grow going!  I still have just a few minor adjustments/tweaks left which are:

• Finish drilling the 4 holes for where my short eyebolts will go for my light (eyebolts come in tomorrow).
    • Drill a hole for an eyebolt for extra support holding the carbon scrubber/exhaust fan.  As you can see in the pictures, I have it rigged up now on where the pole goes through when I lock the cabinet.  This is only temporary until the eyebolts come in and I can have it supported by a ratchet hanger in the center.  The bolts I used work awesome, but due to the weight/length, and mounting it horizontally, I still need the extra support to keep it all center.
    • Get weatherstripping to light seal the doors.  This shouldn't be all that hard, I just have to determine the type and thickness I want to use, and will work on that tomorrow and Tuesday.
    • Finish tidying up power cords and setting up the power supplies on the back.  I have these attached with industrial strength Velcro, so they aren't going to go anywhere. 
    Final pictures up in the next few days.  Here's the build process thus far though with pictures!  I'll be starting my grow journal shortly as I just started the germination process with my 2 White Widow & 2 Blackberry feminized ladies!  Enjoy.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      223.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      385.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      346.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      432.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      226.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      515.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      631 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      499.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      568.1 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      706.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Damn thats good looking work right there. I have 4 vipar 300 reflectors because my first one did so well. I find they are a great value and I talked to the rep about breakdowns and they are fully covered so hell, they work and are a fraction of the cost. Cool man good luck!

Be water my friend.

11. Thanks man, I appreciate it!  Do you have any pictures or whatnot of your yields/setup?  I'd love to see how much you ended up getting.  This is my very first grow so I'm not sure what to expect, especially I'm sure I'll run into problems along the way.

12. #12 LetGo, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Awesome looking cabinet, I hope you intend to do a journal after this as well on your first grow. 

Pretty cheap for an LED light, but the spectrums look good and its a 3W.  Kinda did some poking around on google about them, seems legit.

How loud is the fan for stealth

13. Thanks man!  I've got a grow journal started already.  Updated almost daily.  Check it out here:  http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1321429-first-grow-journal-bubbleponicscustom-cabinet450w-lednirvana-seeds.html

The fan is a bit quieter than a box fan, and it's inside the cabinet, so it's not exactly "stealth", but I'm in a house anyways.  I honestly did a cabinet for ease of use, small footprint, and it gave me something challenging to build/design.  It looks aesthetically pleasing as well, lol. 

Check out the grow so far and let me know what you think!

14. Op I used a single 300 for 3 autos on my first grow and pulled 3 zips dry using ffof and nutes. No pics still working on legalizing in my state. Here's a pic of the idea I took it from... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407259495.620204.jpg since I'm at 86f at 55% humidity. So hoping to get my heat down more but the babies are loving those vipars. No bs

Be water my friend.

15. Are you guys confident in that Vipar LED for both veg & flowering applications?

Thanks!

16. cool cabinet, will be interested in the journal as well.

17. Awesome cabinet. I've been finishing up touches on mine. I love your idea for intake ventilation under the cabinet! I have mine set up on rear and on side and they aren't stealthy/discreet enough. I know I'm way late to this thread but came across it as I was looking for more ideas. I'll have to check out your grow journal.