My first grow - closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by birmas, Sep 14, 2011.

1. #1 birmas, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    Hello there,

I have just started trying to do my first grow in my bedroom closet. I have had pretty bad results so far, but that has been due to poor planning and misinformation. ;-)

Here was my first attempt at the grow closet (pics taken last week). My seedlings immediately started stretching from having the incorrect type of fluro lights.

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0021.jpg

So I went to the hydro shop and picked up a 400w MH kit which I attempted to install into the space I had. Boy was that a mistake.

DSC_0018.JPG

.. to be continued.. (10 attachments)

Attached Files:

2. Anyway, with installing such a large light (compared to closet space) I decided to do the ventilation properly.. which was great until I went outside to have a listen. What a noise!

So I built a wooden frame, lined with drywall which has a 8cm gap which is stuffed with foam offcuts I bought.

DSC_0023.jpg

I believe that having my light so close to the plants has caused the damage to the leaves? The new leaves coming in seem to be ok so I have my fingers crossed that they will pull through.

DSC_0027.JPG

I have yet to finish the ventilation system for the new closet space, and I also need to make some doors for the front to create a seal.

to be continued another day. comments/suggestions/advice welcomed! :) :smoke:

Attached Files:

3. Hello

I am back with an update and a couple of extra photos. My little seedlings didn't die and seem to be doing OK. I have sorted out the watering system (for now) although am yet to decide on a schedule. I am trying out 2mins of water every 2 hours (Half strength nutrient solution). I will increase this as the roots outgrow the small rockwool cubes.

DSC_0003.JPG

:bongin:

Attached Files:

4. #4 birmas, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    Also, I buried about 7cm of stem on the HK1 plant, about 4cm on the TB and 3cm on the HK2. I hope that doesn't ruin the stem or something. Any suggestions on setup/watering appreciated. :bongin:

5. #5 birmas, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    I've just setup an old android phone which is running an IP camera app so I am able to check out my grow space on my computer (or my phone!).. hooray.
    I dropped my hygrometer in some water today and it is drying out under the light. I'll put the battery back in tomorrow and hope it still works. Then I should be able to monitor the temp via growcam1!

DSC_0005_01.JPG

and the view from the camera:
    growcam1.png

P.s. I've also decided to play a classical soundtrack on the phone on 24/7. Mythbusters said its plausible so I'm willing to give it a shot ;-) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMiVNPXR5qw[/ame]

Attached Files:

6. #6 birmas, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
    I've decided to add an airstone to my water reservoir so here is a couple of pics showing how I decided to hang it by the cord (to keep it above the water level and also to prevent vibrations). It is attached to a screw-in hook in the upper shelf. I'm configuring a timer so that it turns on every 2hours for 15minutes (timed so the 15minutes ends just as my 2hour water cycle starts).

DSC_0006_01.JPG
    DSC_0007_01.jpg

edit: I didn't upload a pic of the girls! (positive thinking there) :bongin:

DSC_0010_01.JPG

edit2: hooray my hygrometer isn't broken!
    growcam2.png

Attached Files:

7. #7 birmas, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
    Hello, I would like to post some pics of my plants. They seem to be doing well. These series of pics are taken 2 days apart.

DSC_0012_01.JPG

and today:
    DSC_0016_01.JPG

edit:
    I have also installed a 30cm desk fan for further air circulation. It is sitting next to the plants but pointed just above them.
    Not sure if I should increase my watering schedule from every 2hrs to every hour (pump runs for 2minutes and then shuts off). Is that a suitable time for the clay pellets medium I am using?

Attached Files:

8. No one else seems to be giving you any love here so I figure my first official post will be used well haha.

Your plants are looking pretty good now. They seem to have recovered from the light burn very well, which gives me hope for a sprout I have right now that got a little burnt. They also seemed to fill much better now that they arent stretching. Though you said you burried the stems pretty deep. Though being they were so young the amount of space shouldnt be that big a deal considering you will most likely be repotting into much bigger pots at a later time.

I dont know much about this type of growing, I use soil myself so I dont really know alot about the overall system your using. Have you gotten doors or someting on the front of that space? Because without being able to enclose your area, youre gonna have a hard time controlling temps, RH and most importantly, light during flowering.

All in all youve got some healthy ladies going right now and I look forward to seeing your future updates. good luck man

9. Thanks for using up your first post in my thread HashTag :)

I don't have the doors installed yet (beyond the original closet doors) and am planning on getting to work on my flowering chamber in the next month or so.

I wasn't actually planning on transplanting them from these pots into bigger pots but I guess I will see how that goes. My plan (haha.. plan) is to keep the plants moderately short by taking clones from the tops and sides regularly. I don't know if that will work but... as they say - there is one way to find out! ;-)

I will be posting more information on how the grow goes and also my construction of the cloning and flowering area! :)

10. #10 realcoolguy173, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
    what your doing looks good! im also on my first hydro grow using bubbleponics system....maybe we can help eachother out threw the first time this is where im at as of 2 days ago....[​IMG]http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/913106-ready-flower-stage.htmlhttp://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/913106-ready-flower-stage.html
    not really sure how to put pics on a comment so here is a link

Room Specs
    1000 watt hps with vented hood
    440cfm cage fan
    4 60 gallon tank pumps

11. I've just updated my watering schedule to half an hour on then an hour off. The pump remains off during "night" hours.

Some more details:
    Lights: 18/6
    EC: 2.3 (half strength grow a/b solution)
    PH: 6.0

TB1: THC-Bomb (Feminized)
    HK1: Himalayan Kush
    HK2: Himalayan Kush

12. I've decided to move out of this thread as it was becoming a journal, so I have started a new thread in the journal section.

I will be back to update this thread once I begin work on the flowering chamber!

continued in grow journal