4 room, 35 day continuous harvest system.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by LedFun, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Hello everyone! Well, I'm at last building my dream setup.

Room one: For Host Plants and rooting cuttings in an aeroponic cloner.

Room two: Vegging of cuttings in an Ebb and Flow system.

Room three: Flowering room

Room four: Flowering room

The rooms have been framed and paneled. Doors have been hung and I'm caulking the seams now to make the room light-tight.

Here's the plan:

Each 35 days, (the strain I'm growing is a 70 day harvest), I'll do this:

1. Flowering room 1, harvest.

2. Move vegged clones from vegging room to flowering room #1 for 70 days of flowering.

3. Move rooted clones from Host/Clone room to vegging room for 35 days.

4. Take new cuttings and put them into the cloner for 35 days of rooting.

Then, 35 days later:

1. Flowering room 2, harvest.

2. Move vegged clones from vegging room to flowering room #2 for 70 days of flowering.

3. Move rooted clones from Host/Clone room to vegging room for 35 days.

4. Take new cuttings and put them into the cloner for 35 days of rooting.

Then I'll simply repeat the above process each 35 days.

I expect to harvest approximately 2 pounds from each flowering room, each harvest.

I'm using 28 watt LEDs to root and again to veg the plants. I currently have my LED test crop in flowering in what has been my only vegging/flowering room.

To see what I've done with the LEDs and now the HPS in flowering, you can see my current grow at:

http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/676986-pre-1998-bubba-kush-grow.html

The LEDs worked even better than I had hoped, and minimized my electric usage as much as possible. I used them only for rooting and vegging the plants. I'll stick with HPS for flowering for now until I run a few test crops with only LEDs in another system.

I'm using three 430 watt Hortilux 430S/HTL/EN bulbs. Two under bat-wing reflectors and the center one under a full reflector. By using the three lights over each flowering area, I'm putting 7,300 lumens per/sq ft of light on my plants in their 6 foot by 4 foot flowering areas. I'll be adding CO2 later.

I've attached the pics of the new rooms so far.

You'll see:

1. Framed

2. Doors and walls hung.

3. Grow Tub layout from center, left and right.

4. Light blocker under the door.

Attached Files:

2. I guess I should make this clear; This entire setup is using the master bedroom, walk-in closet and bathroom.

The Host Plants and Clone Rooting are being done in the bathroom, the vegging room is in what was the walk-in closet and the flowering rooms, air filter box and air-conditioner are all in the bedroom area.

I'm covering all of the windows with closed blinds and then shadow-boxing them in.

The filter will be enclosed in a manifold box with the exhaust ports from each flowering room and the vegging room plumbed into the box and then out into the main room for passive intake into each room. (Pics later)

The air-conditioner is a free-standing 5,000 BTU unit that is plumbed into the roof area for it's heat exhaust. (Pics later)

3. seriously cant wait for more pics.... whoa.... super nice.. keep it going

4. #4 LedFun, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010

Hey Tihspeed, thanks! It's moving along and I can't wait either!

Plumbing the air-conditioner exhaust to the roof and mounting it on it's own platform is the next big step. I'm building a one square foot access panel into the roof area which will hold the one cubic foot screen box that the air-conditioner will vent into. The screen box is to prevent any insects or critters that might ever gain access to the roof area, from getting into the vent hose. Then the vent hose will be held in place on the access panel which in turn will go to the rear of the air-conditioner.

Once that's done, I can then build the shadow-boxes for the last two windows. If you look closely, you'll see the first window completed in the framed in and paneled pics.

Once the windows are done, I think the manifold box is next.

Lots left to do, but it's coming along nicely.

My first crop date into the first flowering room is January 20th, 2011.

The second flowering room will have it's first crop on February 24th, 2011.

Everything is on schedule for now.

5. Super impressive. Seriously. Hope you started a journal. Take lots of pics. People could really learn alot of stuff following your grow

6. #7 LedFun, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    Well, I got distracted by home remodeling and yard-work. I'm back into the new rooms now and finished the caulking. Today, I'm going to try finishing the trim installation in at least one room if not both.

Then it will be painting time. I'm going to put on two coats of "Behr Premium Plus Ultra Pure White # 4850". In my research, I found a comparison of this paint to others in reflectivity and it scored higher than all the others.

After painting, it'll be time to start drilling and cutting holes through the walls of both rooms for Intake fans, Exhaust fans, water fill lines and water return lines to the remote reservoirs.

I'll post as I complete each task.

January 20th, 2011 is the day the first vegged plants are put into the first of the two rooms. That gives me 65 days to complete at least the first room. Then, 35 days later, (Feb 24th), the first vegged plants will be put into the second of the new rooms.

At that point, everything will be on a roll!

7. Cool, I want to see more pictures of progress

8. Dude this is gonna be mega. Can't wait to see.

9. That grow room is epicness, sub'd
    can't wait to see the harvests

10. #11 LedFun, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    Just finished the trim in room #1. All the caulking and trim have blocked 99% of the light and the only light entering now is from where the door seal is missing. I'll wait to install the weather seal until after painting. The nice smooth paint will give the seal a good place to stick to.

I closed the door and damn, it was dark...hahahaha It would work the way it is, but the tiny bit of light around the door still bugs me, so I'll put the seal on to end that.

I've got to cut the carpet out of both rooms also. That will take it down to the subfloor and give me another couple of inches of height and a good solid surface. The rooms take up half the total room area, so if I ever take them back out of that room, I'll just take out the rest of the carpet and install tile.

Thanks for the compliments folks. This thing is moving along nicely.

As soon as I have some paint on the rooms, I'll take some more pics.

11. #12 blindbudsmoker, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
    didnt read all yet but you guna pull up carpet?

read and nm

12. if u care make sure the AC air is being vented out of the attic after the air is blown up thier. last place we had we pumped all our ac/heat from lights into the attic thinking thier was enough gables and what ever and where wrong. molded the whole intire attic with 2 inches of black mold.

13. What a coincidence! I'm doing that today! It's in the middle of my "11-17-2010 05:09 PM" post also, but yes, each room is exactly 4' x 6 feet and I'm cutting the carpet from each.

I sure do thank you for telling me that. That very thought had crossed my mind. I'm going to wait on venting out the attic until I can think of a way to do that.

I don't want to just put standard vent pipe up there. Eventually, critters will find their way in and would chew through the vent pipe. I've got to think of a way to vent outside without that risk also.

Pulling the tubing from the roof peak vents to the A/C unit is easy from the top down with a rope secured to the tubing. I've got to think of a way to make the tubing itself secure.

Also, I don't want a heat plume coming from the roof vent in the winter time. With it coming from a window, it's not a concern. Many things could logically cause that, including a portable A/C unit or a dehydrator. I don't think anyone will be concerned with the window heat plume. The odor is what I'm concerned about.

I run a Can-Filter100 in that room, but the strain I grow and will be growing for the foreseeable future, stinks like crazy in full flower. My new rooms are going to have a 100% absolute pass through the filter before coming into the room, so I'm hoping that will be enough to clean it.

I may be able to leave the vent from the A/C in the window.

My concern is the electric meter is about 12 feet from that window. I'm thinking of having the meter moved to outside my gate. I can use home security as the reason for the move and just say I don't want to have the anyone having my gate code.

I'm just waiting on that because I know it's going to cost a thousand bucks to move it out there I think.

That would resolve all my worries about the odor. It's 100 feet to my fence-line from that window, so the natural dispersal of the odor will dissipate any slight release after the filter takes care of the most of it.

I really appreciate the "heads-up" on the attic mold. That's exactly what would have happened to me if I'd continued on the path I had intended. I'll stay with the window vent for now.

I may move it to the same area as my dryer vent under the house, or out of one that just looks like a dryer vent on the side of the house. That would be a good disguise.

14. yea we do a dryer vent on our room, ours seems kinda small (4 inch) but so far its did the job.

the attic thing when we setup now we will run it all the way out side with inlines to keep the air moving.

scary part of all that story was it was a rental that had been sold while we lived thier and it was the landlord that seen the mold. i just jerked out the pipes and patched and painted without even looking. a mold insoector guy came out and was talking of having to tear all the sheet rock off the cealings and 4 feet down all walls in the house, at my expense. few days of scrubbing and we got it done.

15. Would you be able to just put the exhaust on your clothes washing machines exhaust?

16. I imagine that you meant "Dryer" exhaust and if so, I was thinking of that too. I'm afraid that when I used the dryer, *that hot air might blow through to the grow rooms. I would think they sell dampers that would prevent that, but all-in-all, I think it might be best to just run it to it's own dryer vent on the outside of the house.

17. Yes that is what I meant. I see what you mean, if the angles were right it would work. It would probably be very noticeable if you used those angles though. Like your dryer would be in the middle of the room or something. What about burying it and exhausting into a dog house or something?

18. I've thought about building a PVC piped exhaust inside the soffit of my roof. That way, it would spread the exhaust completely around the roof of the house. The amount of air coming out of one point would be minimal.

Ole' Fido just told me that I am NOT going to put that shit in HIS house! hahahahaha, just kiddin....that's a pretty good idea.

19. I have 18 more days to harvest of my current crop. I don't want to risk it's health or taste by painting the new rooms while the flowering plants are still up.

In all my years of growing, I've never painted near a grow and I've never known anyone to. I'm not sure if it would "taint" the flavor of the buds with a paint smell or taste, so instead of taking the chance on ruining a crop, I'll just wait.

I'll have a 5 day time span between harvesting and putting the next set of rooted clones in the vegging room and putting new cuttings into the rooting chamber. I'll use that 5 days to paint the new rooms and let it dry.

First coat on harvest day. Second coat 24 hours later. That will give it 3 days to dry. I'll put the Host plants and the rooting clones into another room for those days.

Then I'll turn on the Can-Filter100 for 24 hours and see what the room smells like. If it's "fresh" again, I'll return the Hosts and rooted clones to their usual home and move them to their next respective steps.